koberulz
Years ago

Are Stats in the NBL Just Made Up?

Lucas Walker gets credited with a blocked shot...for no reason whatsoever.

Topic #38663 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Maybe a better header?

Reply #570484 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

4 points away from my Dream team due to that!

Seriously though look at Gladness last year stats should be reviewed post game.

Reply #570486 | Report this post

It looked like a block to me when I first saw it. Whats the issue here?

Reply #570492 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That's Daniel Johnson.

Reply #570494 | Report this post

It looked like Lucas Walker when I first saw it. Whats the issue here?

Reply #570496 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

The TV stats wouldnt be official would they?

Reply #570500 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Post game stat review is a good idea, especially as fans like to follow stats both in general and for their dream teams.

Should only add a days' labour for someone to go through each round, which would be money well spent in terms of presenting the league as professional.

Next we just need to work on the reffing...

Reply #570502 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Baller, AFAIK it's just a feed of the official live play by play stats. It's not something Fox does themselves. Either way, the official stats also credited Walker.

Reply #570504 | Report this post

Indoorkite  
Years ago

Welcome to the block party you guys

Reply #570508 | Report this post

So they made a mistake....

Reply #570509 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I was wondering why majok didnt get an offensive board last night. I suppose he didnt "control" the ball. Perhaps it was still a "loose ball" when he out hustled 3 Perth players then drew the foul.

Reply #570510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know in the AFL they have a separate crew checking stats because obviously it is easy to make an error about which player was involved in "split second" type plays. Perhaps we don't have the funding for that. AFL employs Champion Data to look after it for them I believe.

Reply #570573 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

If we reviewed the stats after games then Cedric Jackson wouldn't get credited with so many triple doubles...

Yeah so I hope we can get champion data doing NBL as well

Definitely not Lucas Walker

Reply #570599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SC still doesn't get it.

Reply #570604 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

They are very random... I've grabbed screen shots of play by play on livestats showing things that just cannot happen if stats are being recorded accurately e.g. players taking just a single free throw without a basket being scored, changes in possession with no call to indicate why & even players giving assists to themselves. When you watch the game live & follow the stats at the same time, you see far more errors & I sometimes wonder whether the statisticians are even watching the game.

Reply #570606 | Report this post

OKC  
Years ago

I can guarantee you there are not any statisticians recording stats for the game. Maybe a data entry monkey (maybe) entering some data (poorly).

Reply #570617 | Report this post

No I get it. I just don't see the point of the thread or saying that the stats people make things up when it's just a mistake.

Nice try though #604

Reply #570618 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Johnson is #21, Walker is #12. They might've just keyed it incorrectly, or the caller got it the wrong way around.

Reply #570629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, the stats are made up. Jermaine Beal actually only scored 5 points the other night but got credited with 40 because the stats keeper liked him.

In all seriousness, the NBL should look at improving the accuracy of its work but it's probably a matter of making the investment. Probably wasn't high on the priority list given all the other things they had to do to get the NBL back up and running so maybe something for the league to keep in mind for next season?

Reply #570649 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Indoorkite comment made me laugh

Reply #570856 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:33 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754