Hendo8888
Years ago

It's happening again... another massive comeback

At 3qtr time, Wollongong was shooting 28% from the field and were 17 points down.
It's now tied up, with 11 seconds left.
What is going on this round?

Topic #38668 | Report this topic

Bear  
Years ago

Just an awesome NBL season with many close games, upsets and cliff hangers...

Reply #570531 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Overtime, first time in the season, who will get up Tiapans or Hawks???

Reply #570532 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Play by play isn't showing whose ball, but timeout Illawarra with 6 seconds to go after Weigh missed.
Could be Illawarra's ball.

Reply #570533 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Looks like Overtime!

Reply #570534 | Report this post

Deeee lisch!

Reply #570535 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I am picking the home team to hold their nerve in O/T, but with no confidence at all...

Reply #570537 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

If Hawks win tonight, they deserve playoffs over us.

Reply #570538 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Penney and Forman injured? Only played 21 mins between them.

Reply #570539 | Report this post

YoYo  
Years ago

And the NBL app cuts out during overtime. Typical.

Reply #570540 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

16 seconds left Hawks up by 3 points, doesn't look good Hendo...

Reply #570541 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Wow, Gliddon!

6.5 seconds and we are tied...

Reply #570542 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

So if you were the coach and one of your players put up a donut, and kept missing, would you keep him on for all of overtime????
No damn Weigh I would...,,

Reply #570543 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

3 Pointer Cam Gliddon!!!!

Reply #570544 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Some would say he was due........

Reply #570545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Penny injured. Looked like lower back. Forman fouled out

Reply #570546 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Double O/T, love it!!!

Reply #570547 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Gotta hate these blowouts ey?

Reply #570548 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

5 fouls in 7:53 for Forman? Wow!

Reply #570549 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

What is the foul limit for overtime? I thought the foul count just continued on. But they weren't getting free throws for fouls then.

Reply #570550 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

What went through Wortho's brain, to do that?

Reply #570551 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Wortho has 5 fouls. But it doesn't say he was subbed out?

Reply #570553 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Starks, taking over...

Reply #570555 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Steal, defensive foul and assist for Worthington since he fouled out.

Reply #570557 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

defensive rebound

Reply #570558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is Wortho still on? Stats wrong?

Reply #570559 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

lol... Illawarra just missed 5 shots in one possessions. That's probably the ball game.

Reply #570560 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Weeks made it interesting, but it comes down to free throws now, surely...

Reply #570561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks need a steal

Reply #570562 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Illawarra need Gibson to be playing for Cairns.

Reply #570563 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Taipans still in the hunt with this win, great game!

Reply #570564 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Cairns win!

Reply #570565 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Well, that was an entertaining end.

Reply #570566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why was Fearne playing Bruce so much in crunch time? Nearly cost them the game. Lucky he went back to a Starks-centric attack late.

Reply #570567 | Report this post

YoYo  
Years ago

lucky Bruce got fouled out you mean

Reply #570568 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Where's blowout troll when you need him?

Reply #570569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great game. Why did fearne leave weigh and Bruce on instead of craig and Starks?

Reply #570571 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What is the foul limit for overtime? I thought the foul count just continued on. But they weren't getting free throws for fouls then.
You shoot on the third team foul in OT. New rule at the start of last season.

Reply #570575 | Report this post

Frustrated Taipan  
Years ago

Fearne seems to have lost the plot, last quarter was pretty ordinary. He went away from everything that worked earlier. Back to bombing away without anything in the paint. What a waste.

Reply #570576 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"Where's blowout troll when you need him?"

Pretty sure he's been blocked. Based on Isaac's post last week saying goodbye to blowout troll.

Reply #570580 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

What's up with Penney? Injured?

Reply #570594 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

"Fearne seems to have lost the plot, last quarter was pretty ordinary. He went away from everything that worked earlier. Back to bombing away without anything in the paint. What a waste."

Exactly. Disgusting last quarter from Fearne, they just needed to score a few points and Trigger, Starks and Craig were on the bench.

I'm guessing Bruce was on so much because of his defence, because he was a waste of time on offence.

Credit to Starks and Lisch, great game from both of them.

Credit to Illawarra for playing the game in great spirit. I think Cairns finally had some home-cooking but Hawks took it very well, no carrying on to the refs.

Reply #570607 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Didn't Oscar Foreman have like 4x fouls in the first half?

Reply #570609 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Craig injured his knee sometime in the first half I think which is probably why his minutes were a little lower than expected.

Having Weigh on the court was a good move, he's got a cool head, understands the game and plays solid D. He wasn't on there for his offence last night.

Would have loved to see more Trigger, 12 points, 6/8 FG in 15:48, why wouldn't you have him on for longer?

Would love some insight of Fearne's thinking. As a spectator on game day it doesn't make any sense.

Reply #570610 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Yes, 4 early fouls to Oscar. Most of them stupid touch fouls that shouldn't have been called. As a fan I'd rather see him on the court, even though he could have torched us.

Reply #570611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was pretty epic. I just wish Foxtel recordings had some smart way to automatically extend when a show runs overtime. I have been burned by Fargo and now I have been burned by NBL too.

Reply #570622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fearne did everything possible to lose cairns the game! Up by 17 at 3/4 time and he ran with pretty much the same group the entire last quarter, which clearly wasn't getting it done. He rotates the entire game and they are winning comfortably, then tighten up and stop reading the play. Burstpn, trigger and Craig sat the whole last quarter and both OTs. Fearne clearly is intimidated by worthington and plays him so much more than he should. Wortho and loughton are the same player and having them both together on court all the time is ridiculous! Go back to what worked last yr.

Reply #570625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re post 0622.

After missing the end of so many games due to o.t. and just running late I record the game I want and the show after it to be sure. You have to record a lot of shows on Foxtel to reach a limit.

Reply #570627 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It cut out for me even after setting the extra 20 mins, so I had to download the program after it to see the end!

Incredible Fearne ran Bruce, Starks and Gliddon together for so long in the last quarter, almost cost them the game.

Gliddon is the floor general, he's the guy who organises the team, yet he was just running back cuts and not seeing the ball (ala Jamar Wilson once Fearne introduced the flow offence).

They just needed to get the ball to Gliddon and run some simple action that got Starks the ball on reversal with a screen ready to go. They worked it out eventually, Gliddon huge in OT1 and Starks in OT2.

Reply #570631 | Report this post

greybuoy  
Years ago

So much silly talk about Fearne.
It wasn't poor judgement to park injured Craig. Fearne didn't make Burston unwell.
Illawarra exploited every opportunity to bust past Trig; despite his huge effort he became a defensive liability against a very potent offensive team.
With effectively 6 or 7 left to play there weren't going to be a lot of options for Cairns, and you think Bevo hadn't figured that!?
You can be absolutely certain Fearne never went away from any game plan in the 4th.
[If there is a criticism to be levelled at Fearne it is the complexity of his strategies.]
Kel went away from the plan, perhaps high on his marvellous earlier contribution.
Whatever the reason, Kel went alone too often at the end of regulation and Fearne benched him to start OT.
The message was not lost on Starks. He played with discipline thereafter.

Reply #570751 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Give me a break, they were running flow, not getting into the paint, not getting Gliddon touches, and shooting contested over hands, often Bruce. If that happens for a little while fair enough, but to let it happen for such a long period is poor coaching.

And your argument he couldn't play Tragardh because of defence? The line-up out there gave up 27 points in the final quarter and only scored 10 themselves. So do you play guys who can't score and can't defend, or at least put someone out there who can score?

Fearne's a very good coach, but his efforts to close that game out were poor, and he was saved by some great individual plays by Gliddon and Starks.

Reply #570752 | Report this post

greybuoy  
Years ago

Paul, I always make a point of reading your posts, and I understand your critique re Trig.
Fearne's mindset is defence: fix that and the rest should take care of itself.
Of course you are right that Trig was not the only one leaking points, but he was effectively quarantined from the ball inside and didn't have the feet defending the perimeter.

Reply #570768 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:42 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754