Dazz
Years ago

Is Jawai just Fat & Lazy?

In almost any Perth related thread, somebody will inevitably start having a go at Jawai's condition. We now he's had medical issues, so what really is the story?

Now speaking from personal experience, I know that eating crap, eating too much, and exercising too little makes you fat. (I'm just grateful that with Nate in town I am nolonger the heaviest guy in the Perth Arena.) But how does that apply to a professional athlete? Assuming even a modicum of training he should be burning massive kj's.

IIRC when he first hit the scene he played at just under the 130kg mark, now he's 20kg heavier. He's clearly a BIG dude, and to me he doesn't look "flabby," but he's certainly softer around the edges.
He's only playing around 20 minutes, so clearly something is not quite right. Even if he simply has genetically poor aerobic capacity, surely that could be improved by shedding a few kg?

Supposedly when he was working to get back into the Boomers' line-up, he shed a lot of weight, so does that mean he was even heavier, or has he put it back on?

We know he has a heart condition, but I don't know how serious that is? If it's bad enough to limit him, should he even be playing 20 minutes? And again, surely dropping weight (even muscle) would lessen any strain on his heart?

Obviously he gets paid well for his endeavours, but it aint worth it if it threatens his health...

Topic #38753 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

It;s his leg. Cain;t get fitness with leg injury

Reply #572352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's tough to shed kilos during the season with the hectic travel and game schedule these guys have. You will find most guys are able to "transform their body" during the off-season.

Hence why you keep reading in the Wildcats threads "just wait until Jawai plays himself into shape..." since the start of the year and I even saw it in the most recent game thread vs Melbourne United. He won't be dropping significant weight between now and the end of the season. The schedule doesn't allow for such a program plus he has now accumulated injury niggles which he needs to look after and rest.

At 20 minutes per game though, I think we can still win this title. He tends to get grumpy at the refs etc once he plays any more minutes than that, I think a sign of fatigue.

Reply #572354 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

We love outback Shaq.

We hate the wildcats though.

Reply #572355 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

One time I saw Ross flex his muscles. Next time he looked bulimic. Perth made him lose a lotta weight quickly.

Reply #572356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe these are all questions a trained professional should be answering

Reply #572359 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Food addiction is probably worse than smoking, I gave up smoking 8 years ago but have struggled to give up food.

Reply #572362 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Probably not a bad thing. I'm no dietician but giving up food doesn't sound wise.

Reply #572367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hectic game schedule? umm NBL is not a hectic schedule, thats just what coaches pull out as an excuse for losses.

Look around the world at elite level competitions, NBA, MLB, NHL, EPL ...

Reply #572369 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Considering that most of his weight seemed to be excess muscle, it was amazing how quickly Ross dropped. I guess that's what happens if you stay out of the Gym.

I saw Nate at the game tonight, in civvies its obvious he's carrying a bit out front, but he actually looked a bit leaner.

Reply #572370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EPL? Their schedule is less hectic than nbl. Check your facts

Reply #572381 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Anonymous,

EPL less hectic than NBL? NBL players play 1-2 games a week, usually a max of around 35 minutes. EPL players play 1-2 games a week of around 60-90 minutes a week. Maybe check your facts.

Reply #572455 | Report this post

Fworld  
Years ago

Yes and yes.

Reply #572456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey AK-47 & Fworld, how about you check your facts?

The EPL season runs from August to May. Approximately 10 months, across which the teams play 38 games. That does not equate to 1-2 games PER WEEK, although there are instances (for example the Christmas holiday period) where teams play twice in a week. This is offset by breaks during the season when international fixtures are played.

Also, I don't have the sports science stats but I wouldn't have thought the intensity of the typical basketball game and soccer game are identical such that you can just compare minutes like for like.

Reply #572457 | Report this post

Fworld  
Years ago

Whats it got to do with me. I responded to the OP saying Jawai is Fat and lazy. yes and yes.
If you don't have sports stats then next time don't comment. Please don't simply extrapolatee to support your poor argument.

Reply #572468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is the silliest thread in quite a while.
Nothing but baseless speculation.
Utterly pointless unless you know his weight and level of conditioning both previously and now, and you also know what the plan has been and what the expectations are.

Reply #572475 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:51 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754