mystro
Years ago

Breakers sign Delany and Ili to full contracts

The NZ Breakers have rewarded Finn Delany and Shea Ili with full time contracts after both serving as DP's last season.

Import/Ili
Webster/Penney
Abercrombie/Delany
Vukona/?
Pledger/?

Ili has signed a 3 year deal and Delany a 2 year deal on the back of solid NZNBL play from both players.

Topic #39309 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 Imports to come? They look in good shape

Reply #585975 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

They'll try and keep Wesley with the cash they saved signing the young guys and possibly Rob Loe or an import centre to back up Pledger

Reply #585983 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Not sure Penney will be coming off of the bench he's still a better player than either Webster or Abercrombie but it looks like this spells the end for Te Rangi.

Reply #586000 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

You aren't going to risk Webster or Abercrombie in their prime leaving to start a player in his twilight years sorry.
Tom Abercrombie plays both ends of the floor and Corey Webster has a huge upside when he's playing well and can create a shot out of nothing where as you would run Penney off a couple of screens to get his shot off.
Penney has the ability to back up both players and a veteran presence in the locker room to help the younger guys like Delany and Ili develop.

Reply #586001 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I wonder if any other teams will pick up TeRangi or if he has priced himself out of the league?
Sydney maybe with Vickerman heading there or back up for Creek at Adelaide?

Reply #586002 | Report this post

Anoneemoose  
Years ago

I heard Wesley will not be back at NZ, he and Vukona do not get on at all.

Reply #586008 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

If Wesley put in even a quarter of the effort on D that he does on O he'd be an exciting FA target for me... As it stands, well, I'm not surprised someone like Vukona doesn't get along with him based on that factor alone.

Reply #586009 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I suspect NZ will start five Kiwis next season, with their two imports coming off the bench.

Reply #586024 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think they'll look at an import 5 again, and a combo guard off the bench, unless Ili has improved a ton from last season.

Reply #586043 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Imagine the Creek-Te Rangi "who's better" comparisions if they were teammates ;) it wouldn't end.

Te Rangi stupidly priced himself out of the market.

Should have taken what the Breakers offered. He may now not have an ANBL team at all.

It's amazing what ideas these guys get in their hand from outside sources - an objective look at Te Rangi's stats from last season should make it abundantly clear to him to take what he can get.

"Beggars can't be choosers".

Reply #586045 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Henare has said that he's hoping to sign at least one Import Guard this season to sure up his Backcourt.

Possibly:

Corey Webster / Shea Ili
Kirk Penney / Import
Tom Abercrombie / Finn Delaney
Mika Vukona / ?
Alex Pledger / ?

11th Man: ?

Leaves an Import Spot open for the Frontcourt and a locals for the other and the 11th Man.

What Aus/NZ big men are still available?

Reply #586483 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

Breakers are targeting Rob Loe in a Tony Ronaldson-type role for the Breakers as a backup 4, stretching the floor from long range to hopefully open up driving lanes. He'll be a useful complement to Vukona, but we'll need physicality at the backup 5 spot if we get Loe.

Finn Delany's the 11th man. There'll be a big man import, an import PG and a backup wing (likely a Kiwi).

Reply #586500 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

If NZ can secure Rob Loe they will certainly have quite a few outside targets for their new Import PG and Ili.
Holt could be an option at PG and would allow them to sign an Import SF and C to bolster the bench.
Despite that potential option I think the imports will be new signings to the NBL.

Reply #586523 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would say play Loe at the five and get physicality at back-up PF via an import, Loe doesn't have the mobility for the four.

Pledger/Loe
Vukona/Import
Abercrombie/Prewster?/Delaney
Penney/Ili
Webster/Import

Reply #586530 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Ili is an out and out PG so I would expect the Import to either be a PG to start next to Webster or a Combo Guard/SG coming off the bench behind Penney.
Prewster would be a nice addition to the bench to play behind Abercrombie after how he played for the Kings last season, he was far more productive than Reuben TeRangi was.
I agree that an Import PF would be better bang for buck and a better fit to the balance of the team with Loe playing stretch 5 behind Pledger and there will be times Loe can slide down to the 4 but defensively he's probably better off at the 5.

Reply #586539 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think they'll use Ili as a defensive guard and have him play off the ball beside either Webster or the import at the other end. He'll get some PG minutes but I think he's got a bit of improving to do to get to NBL PG level at the offensive end.

Reply #586542 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:33 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754