Jack Toft
Years ago

Breakers v Sixers 29/10

Sixers have travelled across the ditch to play the Breakers, who are having a "Super Saturday" with cheap tickets. An arena full of Kiwis high on the thrill of a cheap ticket is just what the Sixers need.

The Breakers will be desperate to get this one in the bag. As always, Abba is the danger man. Penney looms in the background as well. He offers more than what he has delivered so far. I feel that the Breakers sedan has been plodding along in 3rd gear just waiting to drop it into 4th.

The Sixers are without two players tonight, but seem to be punching above their weight with Sobey stepping up (I guess his agent is already in negotiations for next year's contract) and Randle in MVP form. They can't do it alone.

No Vukona/Petrie tussle tonight which has been a highlight of these clashes over the last few seasons. The reffing in NZ is a little "looser" than in Aus with a bit of argy bargy let go making for some entertaining plays.

The great thing about the time zone is the game starts 5 pm Adelaide time meaning I can watch the new McGyver at 7.30.

Let's Go Sixers, Sixers to pip the Breakers in a high scoring entertaining game

Topic #40167 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

The Breakers just haven't been able to get it together yet but pride and playing at home I think we might play them into a bit of form. The 36ers as well as we've been going the bubble has to burst at some point and I'm still holding out hope DJ will start to step up.

I could see the 36ers snatching this but NZ will make them earn it.

Reply #604736 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

This could be close.
Mitchell / Jacobsen matchup will be interesting. Neither are bangers but they are both mobile and athletic.
Randle will do whatever he wants, we (not sure anyone does) don't have anyone to stop him. Abercrombie will do his bit but I don't see him matching Randle's output.
DJ could get going and could be the difference, esp if Mitchell gets in foul trouble.
Woodside needs to create a little more than his runner. I don't understand why their offence run him down into a corner where he doesn't look like he wants to either shoot or turn the corner and attack.
Penney has to shoot well. He has been a little tentative to date.
Both teams are capable of lighting it up so and putting numbers on the board,so I imagine it will be who makes the defensive stops down the stretch or who gets the breaks down the stretch.
We are at home and Vector has a better floor that N Shore.
Toss up for mine. We are desperate to restore some credibility. Not a good position to be in, so we need to get lucky.

Reply #604738 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If the Breakers defend like the did in the third quarter against Adelaide for any decent stretches tonight they will win.

But if they're timid defensively they'll end up playing slow half-court offence and the 36ers' will be every chance to get out and run the other way, which usually means a Randle-inspired win.

Reply #604741 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Breakers easily.

Be interesting to see if anyone can stop Abercrombie and if anyone helps out Randle.

Reply #604751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Without TF, Adelaide immediately lose even more depth. Randle will be Randle, and Sobey will either flunk or continue his play, but Breakers at home today.

Reply #604752 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Looks like Teys can't guard Abercrombie....surprise surprise.

Sobey stinking it early.

Reply #604753 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Both these coaches communicate so well in timeouts.....compared to DD. Lol

Reply #604754 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Lol, Sixers stink.

Reply #604755 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

We're certainly playing them into form, their highest scoring quarter of the season by 10 points!

I just hope we can hold them to under 140 points.

Reply #604756 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Holy shit.

Penney is tearing them apart!

Reply #604757 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Where would we be without Sobey

Reply #604759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crusty Juggler says Sixers are better than we thought. Then they let in 62pts in one half in a 40min game. hahaha owned

Reply #604760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey da besss

Reply #604761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We could always rely on Drm......nah!

Reply #604763 | Report this post

Tempo  
Years ago

LOL...i said last weekk....this 36ers D is beyng horrendous....they were just lucky the Taipans missed so many wide open 3s last week..

Reply #604764 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Why does Joey love Teys so much?
Are there really no better options?

And wasn't Drmic supposed to be some great signing?
Looks to be DP quality.

Reply #604767 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Teys is a bum.

He wouldn't start on any other team. Must have photos of Joey.

Reply #604769 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Sixers playing NZ into some form.
Penney could probably hit a few blindfolded now.

Reply #604770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The breakers players movement off the ball on offense is very good.

Reply #604771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Sixers defence is the most offence inspiring in the league.

Reply #604772 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

Teys is so shit, I've played against him in social leagues here in Brisbane ..,

Reply #604774 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Teys cops it but every team has a coach that falls in love with a guy even if no one else can see it, look at Gleeson with Greg Hire, Bevo with Kevin White or DD with Kyle Adnam.

Reply #604776 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Mitchell seriously needs to work on his free throw technique... try underarm. Something!

Reply #604777 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

And Kev White would make any team's rotation!

Reply #604778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh Jacobsen foulded out, DJ didn't turn up, surprises all around. 36ers showing their true colours. Drmic is a dud too, massive call I know but I went there.

Reply #604779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Penney found the fountain of youth in the form of the Sixers D.

Reply #604780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide are renowned for getting other teams mojo on track. Ferguson hasn't been utilized all that much at all this season, so when Joey starts with the excuses going down that path, he may want to take a look in the mirror. NZ have been poor, but man did they get some open looks early. Before a Ferguson would've even been brought on.

Reply #604781 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Really unimpressed with DJ - he's gone super soft.

In the few games I've seen outta Delany, I've been really impressed! Love him!

Reply #604782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Honestly, why does the Sixers management constantly allow the team to have seasons upon seasons of really poor defence? And there has been a change of ownership at least twice now.

Its almost like they are satisfied with the team's ability to score and entertain.

People like to Perth shit for their ugly bump and grind Sub-80 points a game style, but look at their trophy cabinet. There has to be some truth to the old adage about offence winning games but defence winning championships.

What I want to know is why the management does not hold the team accountable or make changes?

Sick of teams scoring so much against us.

Reply #604783 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Delany hustles hard and has tons of athletism. Great attitude and takes advantage of every minute on the court. Very deserving of his roster spot.

Reply #604784 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Two performances in six games against us already this season have been absolutely embarrassing, the 119 here and the 122 against the Hawks.

Just unforgivable.

Reply #604785 | Report this post

Tempo  
Years ago

More of this will come the 36ers way. There defense is absolutely woeful.

Again, United and the Taipans show very very badly against them even though most were very very wide open.

Reply #604786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nailed it on the head, the 36ers aren't ABOUT winning, as much as they are about cash flow status quo. As long bums are in seats that's all that matters. Winning, making the right moves in regards to winning etc, doesn't commute as it sometimes costs money. Problem is it costs money to make money at this level, and trophies. Get used to the mediocre people, nothing is going to change. The days of Cat, KB, Mee and Maher are DONE.

Reply #604787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drimic is earning his big coin, not DP level. Amazing how Adelaide are traveling, were supposed to be an all star side.

Reply #604788 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

were supposed to be an all star side

At no point did anyone ever think the 36ers will be an all star side

Reply #604789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I never thought the 36ers would be an All Star side either. They have smashed the marketing side of things, selling everyone on TF and all these young amazing studs, that have all been below par. Catching up with them now. Guess Joey and his 'never miss the playoffs' days are long gone. He may want to install some defensive principals or he wont be far off either.

Reply #604790 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

36ers didn't make the playoffs last season

Reply #604792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im aware of that KET, the premise is that for years people preached about how he doesn't miss the playoffs as though he is some super coach. Not looking so rosey these days.

Reply #604793 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Adelaide has a team which is too young and not talented enough yet, save for Randle.

Not much joey can do about that, we don't have the money to compete and spending our money on older players probably would probably mean the older players aren't all that great anyway.

But 3-3 is pretty good considering, and probably due to decent coaching and a crazy talented Randle tbh

Reply #604794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I disagree. They went too young, the defense is shocking. I was watching last week and said if Cairns could've made a few 3s we were toast, look what happened within a quarter this week? We let them line up from beyond the mark. Cairns were able to shoot a record from beyond the line most uncontested. That has to fall on the coach to a degree, if not, why have a coach to start with? No excuses, the team is poor from top to bottom, and is a true ghost of what it used to be. Sad times.

Reply #604795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry, to be clear, disagree about the Joey stuff, he isn't all that good. He would've had say of who to bring in, and yes they are WAY too young inexperienced and headless chooks out there.

Reply #604796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have to pay to the salary cap, so it's not exactly that they're paying nothing,even if Randle is on $300g, there's another 10 spots to find $800g on. Drmic is on $110 according to my Croatian mates.

Reply #604797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its becoming well documented that Drimic is on $100k+, for a team that is crying poor, this is an absolutely shocking way to spend their money. Again, this was one of the major marketed signings everyone was so excited about. I feel for the kid, he is a deer in headlights out there, then again at $110k, I don't feel that bad for him.

Reply #604798 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Sixers will have to pull a huge rabbit out of their bag to get the 'W' here, not likely...

Reply #604799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

drimic = chump and $100k+ equals why they will never acheive.
Joey has had money everywhere he's been until now.

Reply #604802 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"They have to pay to the salary cap"

FWIW teams only have to spend 90% of the cap. So just under $1m.

Reply #604803 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Honestly, why does the Sixers management constantly allow the team to have seasons upon seasons of really poor defence? And there has been a change of ownership at least twice now.

Its almost like they are satisfied with the team's ability to score and entertain.

People like to Perth shit for their ugly bump and grind Sub-80 points a game style, but look at their trophy cabinet. There has to be some truth to the old adage about offence winning games but defence winning championships.

What I want to know is why the management does not hold the team accountable or make changes?

Sick of teams scoring so much against us.
Wow, a great, intelligent post, from an "Anonymous" 6's fan. We should have it framed.

This has been the brand that Joey has been building from the start, and Blind Freddie could see it wasn't going to work, but to date his believers have just kept drinking the Koolaid.
He took the team he inherited to a GF, and got beaten (by the ugly defensive Wildcats) and apparently he's allowed to dine out on that for life.
Each year he gets more opportunity to build the team the way he wants, and its gone backwards.

So apparently Gleeson is just a flog, whereas the sun shines out of Joey's arse?

Reply #604804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hard hitting and informed commentary as always, Armchair Admiral Dazz.
It's pretty clear that this year's 36ers is a team assembled on a budget. There's only so much polishing a coach can do. An admiral like yourself should be able to see that even from the lofty heights of your bridge.

Reply #604805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im actually with Dazz on this one. Joey has been selling himself on people for so long they just assume its gotta be right. He is not that good of a coach. Adelaide stuck with him now, and his boys he seems to have follow him from club to club.

Reply #604807 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

To me, NZ are a better team than what they've shown so far this season. Today's result didn't surprise me at all.
The nature of the league this season (the depth of talent) means that good teams are going to lose games, and in any given game you don't have to be off by much to cost yourself a win. NZ have been slow to get going this season but they've got a pretty potent list.

Today's win inches them above the prized 102.14795% milestone on the standings. Don't take 'em lightly.

Adelaide ... well, both keyboard and regular experts suspected that they were in for a struggle this season. Between Randle, Sobey & Fergy Ferg they've at least got some guys who should pull the spectators through the door.

Reply #604809 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

I'll be honest, I can't see Adelaide winning another game. The League is just too deep n tough for a roster like Adelaide. Like seriously, would any of their starting 5, bar Randle make the starting 5 for any other team? I'm saying no. I'd say none of their roster would even make the kings roster...

Reply #604810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lawsy, ofcourse they will win more games, they are a different beast at home, and other teams have off nights. Its just when they lose, they lose big, as they have no real backbone. Young teams are like teenagers, up and down all the time. When the 6ers play at their tempo all looks atleast decent, when they get taken out of whatever it is they are trying to convince people is tactics, it all goes to shite. And like a teenager, they huff and puff and storm off to there room, not really putting up much of a fight. But yeah they'll win some games, just not enough to be considered a good team.

Reply #604811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's pretty clear that this year's 36ers is a team assembled on a budget."

How can it be on a budget? Teams must spend 90% of the Cap.

Reply #604813 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

Budget lol... Randle would be $300k, Ferguson $150k.. You got half a mill tied up in imports.... Problem = sobey is ur starting guard, and u have a guy named teys on ur team.,

Reply #604814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here we go, lose and everyone jumps off the bandwagon. Then next time we win its all how good we are. Fair weather 6ers fans, everyones an expert. Missing Creek and Ferguson and they complain how short of talent we are, Drmic may be struggling but give him a break, 1st pro stop but give him a full season before writing him off. These so called fans who one week cheer when we signed him and when we're going well how good Joey is and Teys is that underrated defender, the next week write them off. Just remember the previous coach and the wooden spoons. This would have to be the strongest competition the league has fielded in a long time and the arm chair coaches think they know it all while they are sitting back munching on their cheezels and west end draught.

Reply #604817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not about them losing. Its about how they lost and the points margin. 36ers have a couple games this season by more than 25pts which joey wouldn't be happy with.

Allowing 119pts in a 40 minute game even without creek and ferguson isn't good and need to be address quickly if they want make the nbl finals.

Reply #604818 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"He took the team he inherited to a GF, and got beaten"

The team he inherited had been the worst in the NBL for the previous three seasons.

The general consensus pre-season was Adelaide would be up and down due to being inexperienced, there would be some great wins and some big losses.

Yesterday they were missing Creek and Ferguson and got thrashed on the road by a very experienced and talented team. No surprise there, nor in this thread.

The thread I enjoyed was Brisbane v Adelaide, where an all-time win turned into a bitch-fest about the 36ers.

I have great admiration for that, usually there's just silence around here after a great 36ers win, but that effort was taking finding the negatives to a new level!

Reply #604820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul, people are fed up. That's why. Right or wrong, that's why it's happening now more regularly. The club isn't poor, they aren't broke, they simply haven't spent their money wisely. And the fans suffer, too much money being spent on the wrong guys. And the whole inexperienced debate, well shit no one held a gun to their head and said get a rookie team, need vets. All playoff teams do.

Reply #604822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^ exactly. Some well overpaid rookies.

Reply #604823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lawsy is insufferable.

Reply #604824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide fans imploding. Fantastic. Joey has never been able to coach. He has been in charge of extremely talented team in the past that anyone could get to the Finals.
Adelaide were broke and I don't think their is a minimum spend on the cap. Either way having 10 of your 11 players with a negative +/- will never will anyone a game. Enjoy the cellar.

Reply #604825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha Lawsy. What a flog

Reply #604828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lawsy, Sobey's 32,8 and 5 are a real problem....hahaha. Stick to watching mixed netball

Reply #604829 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

^what paul said

I'm enjoying the ride with 36ers this year. It's about expectations. I don't expect them to win the championship but I think they're an bit of a chance (maybe 3/1) to sneak into the playoffs (in 4th). I expect them to get beaten soundly a few times but I expect them to win a few games. So when they win it's great and when they've lost, it's no more than I expected and those games have still been exciting to watch.

36ers teams have not defended the outside shot well for 14 years. Changing coaches hasn't changed that. Again - if you followed the 36ers for more than 2 years, you expect that.

Watching 36ers the last few years has reminded me of Newcastle and 36ers teams under Dave Claxton. Lots of exciting offence but ineffective defence. Those teams won regularly and made playoffs, but never looked like delivering a championship. Think the Falcons' 1986 loss to 36ers in the semi final (151-103) at Apollo.

So I'm enjoying watching players like Randle, Ferguson and Jacobsen. Creek was playing well before his injury. Johnson is a disappointment so far, Sobey has been a good surprise. Then the talent drops away.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how much Ferguson will have improved by the end of the season. I think he shows a lot of potential and is already improving. His absence affected the 36ers significantly against NZ. We were minus an effective scoring option in offence and his height and reach in defence. Not the difference between winning and losing but a closer result.

Reply #604830 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Yeah I'm not sick of the Sixers at all - they're performing how I thought they would. They'll beat some teams this year for sure, but also suffer some losses like yesterday. Maybe sneak into the top four if things go their way, but more probably just miss the playoffs.

Sixers fans certainly do know hyperbole, especially after a loss. A lot of the fans had Randle was on a plane after game 1 iirc.

Reply #604835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im so frustrated there are so many fans who have such low standards for success. if you are enjoying the ride so far at 3-3, then shame on you. As a fan who dictates success based on the trophy cabinet, simply being in the league and making up the numbers by no means is good enough. Glad some are enjoying the mediocrity though.

Reply #604944 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The 36ers are 3-3. It's better than I expected them to be doing.

Minus Creek and Ferguson, they got pumelled in NZ. Not sure why that would surprise anybody?

Reply #604945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because when Creek and Ferguson return, it won't make much difference to where're they finish. Picked to be bottom half of the ladder from the get go, for some fans that's not good enough expectation to have. For some i guess that's fantastic. Imagine if this supposed financially crippled club spent that $110k on drimic on an upgrade on a more potent import big or a genuine shooting guard to help spread the floor and give randle something to kick it too after blowing by the defence. People are so cool with status quo.

Reply #604952 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:56 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754