UC Capitals v Townsville Fire 19:00
Adelaide Lightning v Bendigo Spirit 19:30

Sun
Dandenong Rangers v Melbourne Boomers 14:00
Sydney Uni Flames v Townsville Fire 15:00

Topic #40309 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

Tonight's 1st vs 2nd matchup will be live streamed. Should be a good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hakwBIdnKj4

Reply #608730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thanks for the link.

more exciting than the NBL.

Whitcomb on fire 1st quarter - 21 points........

Reply #608793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

26 points in 11 minutes

Reply #608795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I meant 29...... 10 of 10

Reply #608796 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

One of the best halves of scoring I've seen in a loooooong time

Reply #608799 | Report this post

wayne  
Years ago

Even the commentators agree, Burton with a lot of running and playing to her strengths... wut

Reply #608803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So much depth in that Bendigo lineup

Reply #608807 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

When did Griffin turn into such a CJ-like over-actor? Still love her but I hope she reels in that aspect of her game a tad. On the other hand, her jump shot is looking real good this season. There's going to be some tough calls to be made next time an Opals team is picked, because all 3 naturalised aussies (Mitchell, Whitcomb, Griffin) would walk straight into my Opals 12 atm.

Top quality performance by the Spirit tonight. That gives them top spot on the ladder and they thoroughly deserve it.

Reply #608818 | Report this post

greg  
Years ago

What over acting Luuuc?

Reply #608821 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Like what CJ used to do ... initiate minor contact with someone and then flail the head & arms dramatically to suck the refs in.

Reply #608822 | Report this post

greg  
Years ago

Doesn't seem that type of person, maybe more to it or just frustrated? Were you at the game or streaming?

Reply #608823 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

At the game.
I doubt she was frustrated. She was on a mission and it was a successful one - 31 points & 8 boards, plus some locked-in defence. Was a true team effort but she was still the driving force.
The acting is just something I've never noticed in her game previously so it stood out to me.

Reply #608824 | Report this post

greg  
Years ago

Maybe catch the live stream replay? Might have missed something, dunno.

On another note, I've just noticed now Batkovic complaining about literally any foul call made against her, even one's on her that are missed, ridiculous.

Reply #608975 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Nothing new there. Biggest whinger in the WNBL and it's not close.

Reply #608983 | Report this post

wayne  
Years ago

Spirit smoke the Lightning, Ekune/Griffin didn't even play the last quarter?

Townsville with a chance of going 0-2 this weekend.

Looking forward to the remaining games, all the livestreams have provided some viewing pleasure so far this weekend.

Reply #609095 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

No surprise about the Spirit result. The lightning are a level below, unfortunately. (though I thought Hodges was only going to miss 1 game?). I see Nagy scored 11 so at least someone in Adelaide basketball circles will be happy this weekend

Good effort for the Caps to take down the Fire. Time to see what Sydney is made of now.

Reply #609106 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #609110 | Report this post

wayne  
Years ago

Rangers vs Boomers live stream on WNBL FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/TheWNBL/

Reply #609151 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Steph Cumming getting buckets early. A costly minute of Conti time at the end of the first quarter increases the pain. Ouch.

Reply #609154 | Report this post

ncaa hoops  
Years ago

nice work by Sammi W

Reply #609244 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Sami really put on a show, but it was disappointing that the Lynx wasted it by failing to get the win. The rest of the team shot a combined 12-46 (26%) from the field.

Things aren't all going Townsville's way either. The top 6 are all tough to get road wins against.

Reply #609251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitchell is 31y.o
Griffin 29y.o
Whitcomb 28y.o

I think Whitcombs age and recent form might put her ahead of the others for an opals spot.

Blicavs and Mijovic looking to make the team also.

Reply #609255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^add on the years till Next Olympics and you have 35, 34, 32 .......think you will find the younger generation will be filling the role before the three former Americans

Reply #609256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4 years is a long time. Hopefully the failing of Boomers will ensure Molloy doesn't get the Opals job.

Reply #609257 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

I feel the failing of the Boomers is part due to their recruiting. Every other team in the league has a star big, some have multiple, but the Boomers really only have Black and an undersized Bygate. When Black is switched on she's fantastic, but that's realistically only happened for around 25% of the time she's been on court. The rest of the time she seems I don't know perhaps a bit hesitant? For the output they've received, it's not really ideal as an import. I mean it's likely their recruiting could be due to the lateness of the certainty they'd actually be playing this season, but surely conversations were had behind closed doors with potential recruits even before the announcement. Also the loss of Penaluna was massive, she was brilliant last season when she was fit, though it's probably for the best they got Bowen, who I've thought has played some solid games as opposed to having Elyse missing games like she did last season.

I really do hope the Boomer girls can re-group with their bye, because when they're all on the same page, they can really take it to the top teams and even beat them. Probably unlucky to lose the first Dandenong game and they had been in a position to beat the Lynx and Fire. It's just that when they lapse they really lapse and it's almost as if the other team are doing training drills on them. I mean credit to them in yesterday's game, they were getting flogged until half time and managed to turn the tempo - so they've clearly got something in there.

As for the Opals, not that I've been closely following her, so this could well be wrong, but from what I've seen and heard I really rate Larissa Anderson from the Rangers. She's very likely not ready for the HC role, but I hope she's able to get in there as an assistant and make a good run at the HC role the next time it is available. Other than that, again I haven't closely followed him but I also like Andy Stewart from the Lynx.

Reply #609261 | Report this post

lo 88  
Years ago

Melb Fan, I'm not sure what game you've watched this season where Black has been "switched on", because it must have been the game I didn't go to. All I see is an import that goes half chop like she's in training. She cant board, post moves are slow and predictable and she only spins one way. If I can see that every week from where I sit in the stands then I'm sure that someone with a coaching brain must be salivating every week when they fond out they're playing the Boomers.

Maybe she was the right fit if Penaluna was holding down the middle, but right now I'm struggling to see why they persist. For all her down's, I think Bygate deserves more of a run. She looks like she tries hard and would give her everything. She might not have the experience or polish but shes a real go getter.

The team needs to go through some changes. They do a good job on game nights and they bring in fans, but they just cant get the on floor stuff right.

On a side note.. I wasn't into the game yesterday. No atmosphere in that place. Pretend DJ in the corner had no idea and that other guy was kinda out of it too.

Reply #609267 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It's only natural to speculate how players will be performing in the future, but it's also a waste of time in some ways.
There are world championships in 2 years time, and the focus seems to have been correctly returned to picking a team to perform on the day rather than looking too much to the future.
Suzy Batkovic is 35yo and she just had road games of 27 & 11 followed by 28 & 8 the next day, so if a tournament was starting this week she'd still be right in the mix despite her age.

And yeah it's tough to see the Boomers struggling like this. They're not actually that far off the pace, but with every team (bar Adelaide obviously) being so talented, you don't need to be off by much to lose. Penaluna's loss really does hurt. She was so consistent last season. And now they've got Maddie Garrick out with an injury as well.

Reply #609268 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Lo 88 - I thought she played fairly well with 16pts, 13 boards in the first derby. That'd be around the mark of the output I'd be wanting from an import centre week in week out - and thought most of her second half yesterday was looking promising. From what I've seen anyway, she seems a liability most of the time but when she's crashing the boards and standing her ground their plays flow a lot smoother. I just personally find her frustrating to watch.

Agree with Bygate, she was looking good when she got the start in R2 through Black's injury. Also wouldn't mind Thompson or Bowen getting the chance to start over Cunningham. Will be interesting to see how the guard situation is handled when Garrick is 100% fit, because Smart, Cole and Garrick all deserve big minutes.

The front office has done an excellent job with the Boomers game days. Easily the one of if not the best in the league from what I've seen of the other team's efforts via livestream. I hope the girls can get the job done on the court soon because new fans won't start coming if the on court performance isn't here.

Reply #609299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bowen was terrible again

Reply #609324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4 years is a long time. Hopefully the failing of Boomers will ensure Molloy doesn't get the Opals job.

God forbid that could /would happen, it's bad enough he's got the boomers fir the next three years !!!!

Reply #609352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melb fan, if you watch the games Boomers actually come close to their opponent it's more their opponent is stuffing up or switched off than Boomers switching on.
Cannot understand why Molloy has been given another three years, the team chemistry just doesn't work when you watch from the side lines, so either he picks wrong or can't coach women.......and why is it they seem to always be plagued by injuries more than the other teams, another question that should be raised.

Agree their game day and product promotion is excellent, unfortunately the same can't be said of their on court product.

Reply #609355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have never seen so many players that look like they are scared to make a mistake with no confidence,rather then a natural game. They either play so structured they miss glaring openings when the game breaks down or are very predictable.
At times some players appear greedy whilst others pass up on open opportunities.
Everyone knew that Petaluma is an injury worry and whilst on court is a great asset there was always the worry that injuries would destroy her season.
I respect Cole as a player but think with all the time she has had off her ability to run the point while still getting back to match fitness and tempo leaves the team short on. Smart is a natural shooter,rather than a point,and what he is doing to Conti is just silly. The kid is good and will dominate her age where she is super confident and rightly so,but he throws her in at either junk time or a minute to go and has nothing to gain and all to lose.Why she was recruited at this age amazes me. And please don't argue the experience thing because at the moment it is all bad experience and sitting on the bench,means nothing.I think he has another 2 players that never get on as well...so surely his recruiting has not helped

Reply #609357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep Molloy being exposed now Chambers has gone to Sydney.

And Conti being on the list being exposed for the stupidity on both sides - the club offering it and the family letting it happen - a lot of people with poor judgement.

Reply #609366 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Definitely agree on Conti. I feel bad for her getting thrown in the way she is, should've been signed as a Dev player, the training on experienced bodies would do her good, but playing on them in a game seems almost as if it's diminishing her confidence - I know it would if it were me in that situation. I'm fairly certain she'd never played SEABL either, only playing a few SCW Big V and most of the YCW Big V games so the step up to WNBL is insane. I don't know what happened to Chloe Molloy who was played a fair bit as a dev squad player last season - I know she's still on their dev list and I reckon she showed more last season than Conti has so far.

They play the shuffle offense, which is probably why they (frustratingly) pass up on good looks. Perhaps they need to run a different offense, because as someone mentioned earlier they are way too predictable, even those sitting in the crowd. I've liked it the few times they've switched it up a little, that's when they seem to get scoring as opposed to wasting time in the shuffle and settling for a poor shot.

Reply #609375 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Might as well chuck it in this thread ....

Perth Lynx have found their replacement for Monica Wright.
You thought it was raining threes with Sami & Carley, but that was apparently just a light drizzle

http://wnbl.com.au/lynx-sign-american-sharp-shooter-brianna-butler/

Reply #609379 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Geez that Lynx roster is impressive. Would be very surprised if they don't win the league with their scoring power.

Reply #609384 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'm not so sure about that. I've got nothing against a 40 minute barrage of threes, but against Bendigo we still had plenty of players capable of hitting from outside, but weren't able to create open shots for them with our offence. I don't know that just adding another perimeter bomber solves that issue.
Meanwhile our vulnerability against a quality opposition front court (such as the trip of Richards + Griffin + Raincock-Ekunwe that beat us the other night) remains unaddressed.

Anyway, decision made. Small ball it is! Let's see if the Lynx can claim the top 3 spots in the league for 3PA :-)

Reply #609390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When Bulleen first changed to Melbourne Boomers and Molloy it seemed to work. However, he had basically a carryover Bulleen team and one import, redhead girl Poppins and most importantly Chambers and the 2 other Bulleen assistant coaches. As the Bulleen coaching staff have been replaced the results have gone downhill. The more they move away from Bulleen the worse they get. Poor recruitment and now playing like a Melbourne Tigers team not a Boomers team.

Reply #609439 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They overachieved remarkably in that first Molloy season given they'd lost Penaluna, Kunek and effectively Jarry from the year before.

But they've never quite been able to recreate the magic from that year. A bad run of injuries, losing Allen and probably not recruiting the right pieces for the system have all hurt.

Reply #609447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ and the current assistant coaches for boomers are pretty dam useless too....
Can't believe they re contracted Molloy for a further three years "before" this season even played out.
I know they are short of finances, though their game days and sponsorships should be bringing in plenty, the crowds are big for most home games, surely they could have at least waited to see how this year panned out.

Chambers seems to be doing well at Sydney........maybe they should have recruited her instead.

Reply #609451 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yes, that long an extension on the back of the past two seasons does seem a bit generous.

Reply #609452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blah-blah-blah Molloy haters. Kick him when he's down. Why don't you post again after you become a 2 x WNBL coach of the year.

Reply #609460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It does seem like someone has an axe to grind.
To my understanding the Boomers aren't a club that's able to splash around a lot of money on premium imports.

Reply #609462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Molloy dining out on those awards, huh? Whilst it may show he can coach women, which was something another posted suggested he couldn't, it doesn't absolve him from any criticism for how the team are playing.

Anyway I'm excited about the Lynx' new import. It's a bit like Lowry suddenly joining GSW instead of Durant, haha.

They could have used more front court presence but at this time of year you can't be picky with who's available and ready to come to Australia. Should link well with the others, Sami Whitcomb is my favourite player in Australia bar none right now. A joy to watch.

Reply #609623 | Report this post

ncaa hoops  
Years ago

So butler from the cuse team that made the final 4 - wow ! Lynx for the title

Reply #609643 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Import from Boomers has been let go. Chante Black. Announcement this morning.

Reply #609843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So they let the import go rather than look at the coaching/team issues overall.... Wonder who they will blame now or will they blame it on the lack of now having a centre

Reply #609850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Certainly will blame Black. We did due diligence and it was out of ur control..blah..blah..When you look at team they look happy until they have to play,then look terrified..Great development work on Conti in last game,I am sure she is jumping with confidence. What happened to the centres they had last year?

Reply #609856 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It's a tough life for imports. Chante did her thing, played her usual game, but is the scapegoat in this case - as is often the case.

Reply #609864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Feel sorry for Chante Black , though she was not exactly great she did her bit
And agree^ Re Conti really felt for the kid last week her confidence or ability wont improve with being put into situations she's clearly not ready to handle and neither should she be expected too she's a child playing seasoned women....fastest way to wreck a potentially good player

Maybe LJ will step into the centre spot...

Reply #609876 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:54 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754