Ballboy
Years ago

BASA at its Best !!

Only a couple of weeks to the finals and I saw a note today to advise that all games set down for the Port this weekend are not on as the stadium has been booked for a wait for it......an Orchid Show.

Yeah thats right an Orchid Show in a basketball Stadium, so all the basketball games get defered.

Here we have a Basketball stadium owned or leased by BASA, cancelling all its games to hold a flower show.

I can imagine this happening at AAMI stadium or Adelaide oval and them postponing their respective sports for a flower show.

The good news is that the teams effected (especially the div 1's)on a Friday night will also have the following weeks games deferred because of the 36ers, meaning they will have to play back to back games on that Sat and Sun.

Maybe BASA really stands for Bulbs, Agapanthas,Shrubs and Azaleas, we just didn't realise it !!

Topic #4064 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

U have got to be kidding!!! Can someone back this up i think ballboy is playing april fools day!

Reply #47262 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

For those who saw "The Man with Two Brains" I think they're a bunch of Azaleas.

Reply #47263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

August 2005

National Cymbidium Show - 2005

27 August 2005 - 28 August 2005

Time Details
Saturday: 9.00am to 5.00pm
Sunday: 9.00am to 4.00pm

Venue
West Adelaide Bearcats Basketball Club
50 St Vincent Street
Port Adelaide

Reply #47264 | Report this post

Ballboy  
Years ago

Is "Cymbidium" BASA speak for anyway we can make a dollar, we will..........even at the expense of the game we are supposed to be promoting?

Whoever has allowed this to happen needs to revisit the constitution and what the role of BASA is.

Hello............how please tell does this promote the game of basketball?

Reply #47275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and you all want to bitch when they do nothing to earn a dollar

i don't agree with the move of games but gees louise

they can't win can they, if they sit on their hands and do nothing they are hopeless

if they earn more money renting out the stadium and move games they can't win either.

Reply #47295 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Anonymous #47295

.. you only rent the stadium out when games are NOT scheduled . It IS a BASKETBALL stadium .
People are entitled to complain when BASA does not prioritise the sport that it is in there to administer.

Get a life!

Reply #47307 | Report this post

Bob Knight  
Years ago

AH BASA....you've done it again!

Reply #47308 | Report this post

red dog  
Years ago

i am not BASAs greatest fan but i am sure that they would have considered the implications of this decision and money is critical to basketballs future in this state. My damn orchids are not flowering...I may have to go to that damn flower show myself. If they gave the flower show court 2 and then let basketball go on it would have beeen marketting genius a creative cross code promotion.

Reply #47309 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

well said skyhook.

I find it a little insulting that our governing body has put the sport second behind a quick dollar.

Reply #47310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

red dog and anonymous,

The problem is that this kind of thing is exactly what turns people away from basketball. Thus we decrease the core incoime of the sport.

Little Johnnies parents decide that they will go and play football or netball which has programs out the first week and does not stuff around it's members.

Reply #47311 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Flower Power

Reply #47312 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Don't Forget!
BASA changed the 36ers game from Sat to Fri so that it does not clash with a probable Crows final.
What happens to all of those junior games from Fri night- Play them on Saturday night when the crows game is on
Homer Simpson for CEO

Reply #47313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We wont be able to play them on Saturday night becasue Pt Adelaide, Wayville and Pasadena are all unavailable. Can't play them on Sunday eith because of the same reason.

So we will need to all have double header on the last round. Again something the clubs have complained about over the last 5 years that BASA keep telling us wont happen again.

Reply #47314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We wont be able to play them on Saturday night becasue Pt Adelaide, Wayville and Pasadena are all unavailable. Can't play them on Sunday eith because of the same reason.

So we will need to all have double header on the last round. Again something the clubs have complained about over the last 5 years that BASA keep telling us wont happen again.

Reply #47315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

play a junior game on father's day.

great planning!!

Reply #47317 | Report this post

The outdoor court at the primary school around the corner from my house would be an option. It's only a 3/4 length crt, one of the rings is locked at 8.5 foot, and the other is rotated slightly to one side of the court (tip - shoot your threes from the left!).

More stadiums anyone?

Reply #47318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this a joke?

Reply #47327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apart from playing on an outdoor court.

No!

Reply #47330 | Report this post

Bob Knight  
Years ago

Stuff the plants, just move them to the side and hoop it up. The extra oxygen will help both teams get back in defence.

Please insert bball icon because that was a funny comment!!

(Mod: Glad someone found it funny!)

Reply #47335 | Report this post

Farviewer  
Years ago

Re (#47295) What a load of crap!

As I posted in another thread, again, one of the BIG $$ss making businesses (Juniors!) for BASA is STUFFED and SCREWED around.

BASA appears NOT to give a rat's arxx for the players (metro & country) or parents who GIVE them the money, or the coaches or volunteers who all may have things planned for the mooted "Fathers Day" weekend!. If they make SSOO much money from renting staiums, let them do it full time and we will all grow sucky orchids, crappy camelias, tulips and pansies for the xxxxxxx flower shows... hey thats it!... FASA Flower Arrangers of South Australia!

Maybe even use the FASA flowers on the Cemetary plots for the goose brain who did the Port stadium rental, and for the jerk(s) who shifted the 36ers game, and maybe decorate the 6rs change rooms with them so they smell nice when they are sweaty! Better still, lets send a load of magnificent FASA flowers to the Crows and Neil Craig and say "Just because we love you guys more, and we know you would do similar for us!!"

Bah! Humbug! Have a good day. I am.

:P

Reply #47336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i thought it was...

Bah, Humbug.

(two word sentence).

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Reply #47339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now if the Crows win and finish top they won't be playing on Friday night, but will probably be playing on Sunday.

So all the stuff around has been for nothing.

Reply #47351 | Report this post

40th Street Black  
Years ago

If BASA want to make some serious money from plants why don't they close down Port Adelaide for 3 months and grow a crop hydrponically of the old hoochie coochie?

3 courts would net BASA millions!!

Close down ALL BASA stadiums from November to January and they could pay the Powerhouse debt off by February!!

Reply #47364 | Report this post

Bob Knight  
Years ago

Not funny Mod. Which Mod posted that pic?

(Mod: Me.)

Reply #47377 | Report this post

Pickles Housemate  
Years ago

Seems to me that BASA already have been doing some home-grown cultivation...

...We change our girls into Fellas and then we have a Flower Show in a basketball stadium.

Somebody better send the Drug Squad down to Crittenden Road. You don't see the Botanical Gradens hosting basketball tournaments, although now i've said it, stay tuned!!!

Reply #47408 | Report this post

Pickles Housemate  
Years ago

Botanical Gardens... DOH!

(sorry to any Gradens out there.)

Reply #47409 | Report this post

P'Od Parent  
Years ago

Say, the port market might be looking for a new home - woo baby!! BASA could grab that one too!!! They could have the fruit and veg at the Port, Old bottles and crap at the Dome, and Used Basketball Shoes at Hillcrest (cos there wont be any damn basketball being played!)

Reply #47437 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

The re-scheduling for a possible home final for the crows is not a bad move. But the flower show ahead of the primary focus of the organisation seems to be wierd. Unless the clubs and teams were consulted, this should have been prevented or even find stadiums with social comps and make reschedule to another venue on the same night.

Think before acting.

Reply #47459 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:53 am, Sat 11 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754