Dazz
Years ago

Definition of a "Carry"

A serious question for the experts.

When coaching and reffing kids, twas taught that ANY placing of the hand substantially below 90 degree (ie 3 O'Clock) (whilst dribbling) should be called a Carry, but I don't know if that was 100% accurate or stanted towards encouraging correct technique. Rarely see it called at pro level, so not really sure.

I don't even know if there is a specific rule that actually identified a carry? Perhaps only the rule that a dribble is ended when it comes to rest?

There's two occurrence I have seen that I question:
1) The player allows the ball to bounce above his hand, then briefly allows the ball to rest on his upturned hand, before rotating his hand/arm to the top position as the ball falls, and continuing the dribble.

2) the player allows the ball to bounce high (from a dribble) then immediately uses his hand to push the ball into a pass to another player. I THOUGHT that was only permissible with a BOUNCE pass???

Topic #40693 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this somehow a reference towards a Perth wildcat being called for a carry? You ''twas a twat.

Reply #619527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no rule as a carry Dazz. Technically it's a double dribble. Like most of your posts.

Reply #619529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was someone in the NBL the other day I was watching (I think it was maybe an NZ player, can't remember), but I remember thinking a lot of the time when he dribbles it does look like a 'carry'

Reply #619531 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

2) the player allows the ball to bounce high (from a dribble) then immediately uses his hand to push the ball into a pass to another player. I THOUGHT that was only permissible with a BOUNCE pass???
...what?

Reply #619539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

even by dazz standards this thread is wtf????

Reply #619553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz only recently discovered that coaches use numbers, words and signals to call plays

Reply #619569 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

"There was someone in the NBL the other day I was watching (I think it was maybe an NZ player, can't remember), but I remember thinking a lot of the time when he dribbles it does look like a 'carry'"

Weeks?

---
Was always taught by refs at a younger level to avoid dribbling (carrying) by turning the ball over from the side like NBA players that my friends were mimicking.

Reply #619604 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

Sorry, friends and I were mimicking.

Reply #619605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ever think to maybe actually look up the rules of the game?

Reply #619619 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Is this somehow a reference towards a Perth wildcat being called for a carry? You ''twas a twat.
Yeah, that's why I said "Rarely see it called at pro level"
There is no rule as a carry Dazz. Technically it's a double dribble
I find that interesting. The rules contain instructions for the refs to signal a Carry, but don't actually define it.
even by dazz standards this thread is wtf????
sorry, in future instead of trying to discuss actual basketball, I'll stick to making threads of "Team X is the team to beat, it's them then daylight," or making unfunded criminal allegations against random players.
Dazz only recently discovered that coaches use numbers, words and signals to call plays
yet another stupid post from an anonytroll. If you want to make fun of me, at least try to be accurate.
Yes, Demopopopolas is the first coach I have seen use the numbers that way during a time-out , but even then my comment was mostly that his players didn't seem to be able to follow what he was saying.
Ever think to maybe actually look up the rules of the game?
As I, and an Anon above said, the term is not defined in the rules. Which, ironically, you would know if you ever thought to maybe actually look the rules of the game.

@ Kloberklutz, your obsession is flattering, but it's starting to get a bit stalkerish.

Reply #619937 | Report this post

Green 53  
Years ago

IMO Weeks should get called for a carry. If Yu watch he holds the ball in his hand and takes a couple steps when trying to get around players.

Reply #619957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's not a carry mate that's a travel.

Reply #619968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

coming soon from dazz
a question for the experts what is the definition of a walk?
what is the definition of getting buckets?

Reply #619970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we stop picking on every single dazz post? It's adding even less to these discussions than what he does.

Reply #619971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The first player that comes to mind when reading thread topic is nathan Sobey from the 36ers.

Reply #620063 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:56 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754