Anonymous
Years ago

NBL Statement : Joey Wright

On Sunday 5th February, an article was published by the Adelaide Advertiser that quoted statements from Adelaide 36ers Head Coach Joey Wright in reference to NBL referee Brett Hogan.

Those comments included an allegation that Hogan was suspended for making racial slurs in 2011. The NBL has fined Coach Wright in respect of those statements by reason of contravention of NBL Code Of Conduct Rule 2.7.

Whilst Hogan was suspended in 2011 in respect of remarks he had made about Coach Wright, the NBL's investigation at the time into that incident did not result in any findings in relation to any remarks or slurs of a racial nature.
The NBL does not condone nor tolerate bullying, harassment or abuse of any form and treat the inaccurate reporting of this incident as being irresponsible on the behalf of Coach Wright as it has had a significant negative impact on the league and the referee involved.
A fine of $2500.00 will be imposed on Coach Wright for the NBL Code of Conduct violation as well as a 1 game suspended sentence that will remain in place until the completion of the 2017/18 season. If Coach Wright is found to be in breach of the NBL Code of Conduct again between now and the end of the 2017/18 season an automatic 1 game suspension will be applied in addition to the penalty for the incident at the time.

NBL Code of Conduct Rule 2.7 states:
• Comments made in public that are prejudicial to the best interests of the sport and the NBL are not condoned. For the sake of clarity persons associated with the NBL will not make statements or take part in demonstrations (whether verbally or in writing and including but not limited to statements made by way of social media) or allow their image or reputation to be associated with something or use their involvement with the NBL to promote their own beliefs, behaviours or practices where they know or reasonably should know, that they are or could be:
o inconsistent with the NBL;
o prejudicial or contrary to the objects, purposes or interests of the NBL;
o something that will bring the NBL in disrepute or be otherwise harmful to the interest of basketball and/or the NBL.

Topic #40800 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

Whilst Hogan was suspended in 2011 in respect of remarks he had made about Coach Wright, the NBL's investigation at the time into that incident did not result in any findings in relation to any remarks or slurs of a racial nature.
"Did not result in any findings" is not the same as "resulted in the finding that no racial comments were made".

I wonder how intentional that is.

Reply #623020 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

"1 game suspended sentence"

NBL flexing their muscle.

Reply #623022 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

and Coach of the Year goes to...

Reply #623023 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Is there ever a penalty for umpire incompetence or is it just accepted?.
Not a 'ref bashing' statement, but they are quick to respond and act on Joey's comments, but no mention of over reaction or "possible" bias by certain ref.

Reply #623026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

""Did not result in any findings" is not the same as "resulted in the finding that no racial comments were made".

I wonder how intentional that is."

Either way, Joey categorically stated he was suspended for using racial slurs for which he had no evidence. The league doesn't have to investigate the slur here - they just need to disprove Joey's claim.

Reply #623027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im not sure on the answer here but not sure if stupid question but does the NBL have any laws in place that stops any player or coach from winning an award because they were reported just like the AFL does with the Brownlow?

Reply #623028 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Anon-- He would have no show if refs awarded votes but coach of year has little to do with refs (or AFL umpires) and I may be wrong (not first time) but believe it is selected by all NBL coaches (peers)
Refs/Umpires only award votes for players

Reply #623031 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Either way, Joey categorically stated he was suspended for using racial slurs for which he had no evidence. The league doesn't have to investigate the slur here - they just need to disprove Joey's claim.
If he was suspended for an incident in which he used a racial slur, Wright claiming he was suspended for the racial slur, several years later, seems entirely reasonable.

Reply #623042 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The short answer is that Joey should learn to keep his mouth shut.

Reply #623046 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Joey unfortunately really overstepped the mark on this alleging Hogan had been suspended for racially abusing him when he hadn't so it's difficult to feel too much for sympathy for him and Boti should've got his facts right first before taking Joey's word as gospel. Poor form by both.

Reply #623047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti is a flog

Reply #623056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #623075 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

+1

Boti is a flog.

Reply #623082 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

So what the fark was Hogan suspended for?

Reply #623090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz learn that lesson please.
So what's Hogan been doing for the last 6 years? Not reffing? Why is it an issue now for Joey? Makes no sense to me.

Reply #623092 | Report this post

Cmon NBL  
Years ago

P1ssweak by the NBL. If you read the media reports it would appear that a convicted ref has it in for Joey and had a big impact on a game. Reading today that is not at all the scenario - casual observers of the NBL would have been left with a totally different impression. Whether it is the case or not it was not proven and the ref has had the unenviable task of dealing with a difficult coach. Like em or hate em for a ref this would have been an impossible situation and it has been made out to be something its not.

Reply #623110 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

According to last night's news reports, the Sixers have concrete proof that Brett Hogan used a racial slur when addressing Joey Wright in a game 6 years ago.

When asked if the evidence would be released, Joey said he'd leave it up to Sixers admin. He also wouldn't ask that Hogan not be allowed to officiate Sixers games - that was up to admin too.

Personally, I hope they release the evidence. It'd then be up to the NBL to see if they condone that sort of thing.

Ignoring staggering levels of incompetence week to week is one thing. Ignoring a racial slur would be something else all together.

Wonder if the NBL has lent on the Sixers in the background to ensure the proof never gets released.

Reply #623146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the Sixers have just been sitting on this proof all this time, just waiting for a moment until Joey gets ejected so he can play his "get out of jail free" card?

Did the Sixers say they have the proof, or did Joey say that?

Reply #623150 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Joey Wright needs to pull his big fat head in and learn to STFU every now and then.

Reply #623152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"In addition to Wright being fined $2500, the league also issued him with a one-game suspended sentence, in place until the end of the 2017-18 season.

With semi-finals starting on Thursday-week, to hang that over him until the end of next season seems unusually harsh as he is renowned as a coach with emotion and passion, always drawing the best from his line-ups."

What? His punishment is harsh because he is emotive and his team unexpectedly performed well?

Reply #623154 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Zodiac "Joey unfortunately really overstepped the mark on this alleging Hogan had been suspended for racially abusing him when he hadn't"

"when he hadn't" based on what? Based on the NBL's statement? There are many scenario's that could have happened:

Past
It happened but the only evidence was Wright's vs Hogan's word so they dismissed it.
It didn't happen but the only evidence was Wright's vs Hogan's word so they dismissed it.
It happened, NBL accepted it happened but felt it best to keep it in house.
It didn't happen but NBL accepted it happened but felt it best to keep it in house.

Now
Both parties and NBL come to an agreement and move forward for the better of the league.

I'm not saying it did or didn't happen and We can all speculate but we don't know the facts.

Reply #623155 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

1. Wright made a complaint that a ref racially vilified him.

2. The complaint was investigated.

3. The ref was suspended.

4. The finding did not need to determine whether the offensive conduct was of a racial nature.

5. Years later Wright raises the point with a journalist.

6. The journalist publishes something that may or may not be a verbatim record of what Wright says.

7. What is reported is, nevertheless, an apparently truncated version of the above facts.

8. The NBL fines and gives a suspended sentence to Wright.

Assuming this is what occurred, which is inferred by the NBL's press release, I can't see how the NBL has any justification for what it has done at all. Wright is entitled to maintain his views about that incident despite the NBL's absence of findings on the point.

Wright should appeal to the International Court of Arbitration of Sport on principle. I assume that is what is being discussed by admin.

Reply #623156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wright is entitled to maintain his views about that incident "

He is not entitled to state that he was suspended for racially abusing him if that did not happen. He is also not allowed to give an inaccurate summary of the situation (which by itself is serious enough) in order to protest his ejection. That is amateur hour again by the Sixers, Joey and Boti.

Reply #623157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your Point 1 is incorrect XY.

Reply #623158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"4. The finding did not need to determine whether the offensive conduct was of a racial nature"

If this is true, then Joey doesn't get to rewrite history and publicly claim they did find him guilty.

Reply #623159 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Please let me know what actually occurred then, because the facts are pretty hard to find in the NBL's whitewash of this incident.

Reply #623160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its pretty simple, XY. If Hogan was not suspended for racial abuse, Joey is wrong and deserved a fine.

Reply #623161 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

The NBL says that he was suspended because of remarks he made about Wright. How as a journalist would you report this set of events? I am intrigued.

Reply #623162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a journalist, I would find out what actually happened before printing the allegation. This wouldn't be an issue if Boti had done his job, instead of trying to fanboi the Sixers out of trouble again.

Its so weird, these issues are never Joey's fault and we're so lucky that Boti is there to give us a fair and balanced account of what actually happened!

Reply #623163 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"Its pretty simple, XY. If Hogan was not suspended for racial abuse, Joey is wrong and deserved a fine."

Joey deserved a fine regardless due to the rules set by the NBL.

Reply #623166 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Has the NBL stated anywhere what Hogan was suspended for then?

Reply #623169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, and they don't need to.

Reply #623174 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

So Hogan wasn't suspended for 'racism' but he was suspended. He was cited for racism, not found guilty but still suspended - something doesn't add up?!?!

Either way, there is history there and the way Hogan was umpiring it was quite obvious - he was blatantly 1 sided.

The umpiring has been flat out BAD across the board but Hogan took it to a whole new level.

Joey needed to make a stand against Hogan and his complete disregard for the rules that night, it was well warranted in my opinion.

I think the 36ers have every right to demand Hogan not umpire any more of their games because he is clearly still holding a grudge. To be honest, I think Hogan should be stood down and fined for bringing the game into disrepute.

Reply #623191 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Why should the nbl not have to explain what Hogan was actually suspended for? If a player or coach is suspended, details of the offence is virtually always released to the public. But not clarifying what Hogan was actually suspended for makes it seem like the refs are not even accountable for unprofessional actions they may have committed and makes them seem like far too much of a protected species. I understand not releasing publicly details of refs performance in getting calls wrong or right but it is a different kettle of fish when it comes to being suspended because of an incident such as the one that seems to be being alluded to here.

Also it leaves the door open for people to think that the racial slur did happen as Joey is claiming if the NBL doesn't clarify the events that actually happened. I think it would be in everyone's best interests for the NBL to release the details of the incident, otherwise is looks like they have something to hide.

The other issue is that if Hogan was suspended as a result of something he said to Wright (racial or not in nature), you would think having Hogan ref games in which Wright is involved would be a good thing to avoid.

I disagree with Joey's actions in getting ejected - he needed to cool it quicker and not put himself in a position where he might be ejected, I think the comments by him in regards to the incident of 6 years ago are not well timed as it is an unwanted distraction with finals around the corner. But the statement by the NBL is not a great one and shows very little transparency leaving a few key questions unanswered.

Reply #623192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As commented by others, Hogan has been continually refereeing Joey for the last 6 seasons and not once has Joey complained or mentioned it. But as soon as he is ejected for poor behavior he trots out this little pearl as a distraction from the real issue which is he cant control himself. Just man up that you received two technicals and you deserved them.

Reply #623194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He was cited for racism"

Who said he was cited for racism?

Reply #623196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not saying the NBL should keep everything involving refs super secret. I'm saying that if Joey alleges that Hogan was suspended for racial abuse, the NBL says he wasn't, then it is not up to the NBL to clear anything up any further. It was Joey's allegation, he should be the one proving it, not just mouthing off to pass the blame AGAIN for an incident he was involved in.

Reply #623197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Joey needed to make a stand against Hogan and his complete disregard for the rules that night, it was well warranted in my opinion."

Thats fine, he can take a stand against bad officiating. What he can't do is claim it was one-sided because of something that didn't happen.

Reply #623198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"But as soon as he is ejected for poor behavior he trots out this little pearl as a distraction from the real issue which is he cant control himself. Just man up that you received two technicals and you deserved them."

Its the same as when he was involved in a scuffle in Perth, and the same as when Ervin got himself suspended for kneeing Goulding, and the same as when a Perth fan slapped him in the back in their recent game and he decided the fan was planted there by the club. He has a history of passing the buck and making stuff up.

Reply #623199 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"I'm saying that if Joey alleges that Hogan was suspended for racial abuse, the NBL says he wasn't, then it is not up to the NBL to clear anything up any further. It was Joey's allegation, he should be the one proving it, not just mouthing off to pass the blame AGAIN for an incident he was involved in."

I'd have to agree. That's a very serious accusation, so if you're going to throw it out there you'd better be able to back it up. Joey is lucky to get off this lightly IMO. This is a guy's professional and personal reputation being slandered here.

Reply #623201 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

FWIW I don't recall Hogan umpiring any 36ers home games in recent times, not to say he hasn't though.

However, it is clear Hogan still holds a grudge from what happened years ago.

Joey has only mentioned it because of Hogans actions on the night...it's not like Joey just brought it up out of nowhere.

Everyone is blaming Joey but I think Hogan is just as much if not more at fault...they were as bad as each other.

Hogan made it quite evident what he was up to and if the NBL reviewed his umpiring he too should be fined/suspended...but of course that wont happen!

Reply #623203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hogan ref'd Adelaide v Sydney 16th December

Reply #623205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"it's not like Joey just brought it up out of nowhere"

No, that is exactly what he did. He brought it up out of nowhere to deflect blame.

Reply #623206 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Luuuc - I agree that Joey should have evidence to back up his claims if the NBL is saying that they are false and he should release that evidence. However in regards to Hogan's suspension 6 years ago - why wasn't it disclosed then what he got suspended for? And since it wasn't disclosed then, why not come out now and actually clarify the situation? I don't understand what they would have to lose in doing that? By taking the actions they have so far, it makes it seem like they have something to hide.

Reply #623209 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anon...like I said, I didn't recall him umpiring a game but never said he didn't.

It's human nature though anon...when someone is blatantly biased you revert back to a time when there was an issue for an explanation as what other reason could Hogan have had to umpire the way he did - unless his Uncle had money on the game?

Either way, Hogans umpiring was a F'n joke!

Reply #623210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has had Adelaide 4 times this season. A little awkward that its only an issue now

Reply #623212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"However in regards to Hogan's suspension 6 years ago - why wasn't it disclosed then what he got suspended for? "

Because it has no relevance to this issue. If he has served his punishment, why does he have to have more noise created about him for something that Joey falsely tried to use as an excuse for his own behaviour?

They don't have anything to hide. They are just not entertaining Joey and Boti's bullshit.

Reply #623213 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Uncle Phil, I don't really know, and that's why I only commented on one side of this equation. Pardon the pun, but one side of this is pretty black and white in terms of a line being crossed.

On the other side, if there is one thing you could never accuse the NBL of it is being open/transparent. But now is not really the time to be asking those questions. They are valid questions, but they really should have been asked (and answered) 6 years ago.

What I'm wondering is what happens next?
Do Hogan-officiated games and Wright-coached games quietly cease to coincide?

Reply #623215 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I assume the slur was racist and the NBL refused to have it go public and hurt their image. It's not something you'd broadcast to the masses.

"He's suspended"

"For what?"

"Stuff"

"What stuff?"

"Just stuff, ok?! GOD, move on..."

Reply #623218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL sad but probably true Loco

Reply #623219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This aint over

Just remember the same person that decided the ref didn't do anything wrong, yet still suspended him ,was the same person who decided Hodge did nothing wrong in Adelaide,that Robbins didn't nothing wrong by throwing a ball at a Hawks players face etc etc etc

Loco is on the money

Reply #623230 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I think Loco is on the money!

Reply #623231 | Report this post

Fundingsland  
Years ago

Keen to know what does it take for a ref to say something that warrants a suspension.

Until the NBL can explain that the evidence sits with Joey imo

Reply #623233 | Report this post

Fundingsland  
Years ago

I will also add that Boti wouldn't print something unless he was very comfortable backing it up

He would also not print something that put Joey into a dangerous and possibly liable situation unless he knew the facts

I think its entirely plausible that Boti and or Joey have a smoking gun that the new NBL management know nothing about and old NBL management may be hoping doesn't come out

Reply #623236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I will also add that Boti wouldn't print something unless he was very comfortable backing it up"

hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha

Reply #623238 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Either way, there is history there and the way Hogan was umpiring it was quite obvious - he was blatantly 1 sided.

The umpiring has been flat out BAD across the board but Hogan took it to a whole new level.

Joey needed to make a stand against Hogan and his complete disregard for the rules that night, it was well warranted in my opinion.

I think the 36ers have every right to demand Hogan not umpire any more of their games because he is clearly still holding a grudge. To be honest, I think Hogan should be stood down and fined for bringing the game into disrepute.

Are drug-dealers dumping their surplus product into Adelaide's water supply??

Joey is a hot-head who needs to learn a little self-control. He is a serial offender.
Going after the ref when you have already received a Tech is just plain stupid, and he completely deserved to be evicted.
Then going after the ref in the media, is just mind-bogglingly insane. Doesn't really matter the substance of the attack, he's lucky it was only a small fine.

Besides which, throwing out the "racist" card just because you happen to be black, is despicable.

Reply #623239 | Report this post

Fundingsland  
Years ago

or throwing it out because it happened...same same

Reply #623240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes anon 238 this is very funny. Maybe he should have done his ringing around BEFORE putting the article to print and not after.

Reply #623241 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What Boti writes is generally checked by lawyers. (Well, except his romance novel - did anyone read that?)

From my understanding of what's happened in the past, the NBL should rescind this fine and suspension threat.

I imagine that if it weren't for it being a chance of distracting from their run into the finals, Joey and the 36ers could release info that would cover their case.

NBL should drop it and move on, if they haven't done so quietly already.

Reply #623242 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Besides which, throwing out the "racist" card just because you happen to be black, is despicable.
If you knew anything about what had actually happened, you'd probably retract that.

A says something racist to B. B complains. Dazz, with no evidence whatsoever, calls B despicable. A new Dazz low.

Reply #623244 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It's basically a racial slur in itself. Sadly ironic.

Reply #623246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What puzzles me is IF Joey and the 36ers have all this evidence why wouldn't they produce it and refute or fight the penalty? All very very silent on that front.

Reply #623248 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

If you knew anything about what had actually happened, you'd probably retract that.

A says something racist to B. B complains. Dazz, with no evidence whatsoever, calls B despicable. A new Dazz low.
WTF?
I'm talking about what happened this weekend, not ancient history.
So it goes like this:
Joey behaves like dickhead and gets a tech foul.
Joey behaves like an even bigger dickhead and gets evicted.
Joey accuses the ref of being racist.
Yep, new low for Joey.

Reply #623249 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"What puzzles me is IF Joey and the 36ers have all this evidence why wouldn't they produce it and refute or fight the penalty? All very very silent on that front."

Because regardless of if it is true or not NBL would have the power to suspend Wright for the rest of the season for bringing the game into disrupt. I doubt Wright or the Sixers want that to happen. If that is the case then it was the best move forward for all parties.

Reply #623250 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The simple facts of life are these:

If you persist in behaving like a serial dickhead, you will eventually get a tech-foul.
When you get a tech-foul, the number one rule is that you shut up and sit down. Doesn't matter who you are, or what colour your skin, persisting with the behaviour after the first tech is begging for disaster.
So Joey got what was coming and was evicted. That SHOULD have been the end of the story.

Doesn't matter who you are, or what you say, if you are stupid enough to then go after the ref in the media, the NBL has no choice but to impose sanctions. End of story.

Reply #623251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well I was enjoying the robust discussion up until someone came in and Dazzed all over the place.

Reply #623252 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"What puzzles me is IF Joey and the 36ers have all this evidence why wouldn't they produce it and refute or fight the penalty?
I fail to see how Joey AND the 6's would have evidence from an incident that occurred when he was coaching Gold Coast??

I barely even recall the incident in question.
But even if everything Joey's apologists claim is true, he's had 5~6 years to follow up.
And even if he decided to do so now, there would be ways to go about it.

Simple fact is that he's got into a bun-fight with a ref (which you are never going to win) and in typical Joey fashion has taken it to the media, and to boot has thrown out the "racist" card.

Reply #623254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brunson, as Paul alluded to earlier Hogan has a clear case for defamation if these allegations are untrue. Wright has been found guilty and fined for what the league is saying is an untrue allegation. The simplistic reasoning is if they have proof show it, if they dont Coach Wright is in for a severe civil awakening I would expect. If it was my name splashed across the papers incorrectly it is what I would do.

Reply #623255 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The only way that something which happened in 2011 is relevant is if you are claiming that Joey's tech-foul was racially motivated.

Now, aside form the fact that his eviction was completely justified, if it was accompanied by a racial slur then the NBL should throw the book at the ref. But is that what is being alleged?

No, Joey is dragging up a 6 year old allegation to attack the ref who evicted him.

As I said, a new low for Joey.

Reply #623256 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Interesting stuff Isaac, generally being a trustworthy source your comments seem to explain why the NBL has provided lack of clarity on this issue and definitely show they have something to hide.

It's been a pretty poor showing on both sides to be honest. Joey has not behaved in a great manner but the NBL is just compounding the issue with the lack of honesty in their response. Very poor form from what should be an organisation trying to improve its image and considering they have generally been going in the right direction the past couple of years.

Reply #623257 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Dazz...there is no surplus after your consumption!

Reply #623258 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The irony is, that despite being proven wrong, I have some sympathy for Joey on the FIRST tech-foul. He's not the only coach that complains vociferously, and often its hard to pick why a particular argument gets a tech when so many don't. But it happens, and you move on. Trev's been teched, even Neillson got teched. As I said, you shut-up and you walk away.
Joey didn't, and all these problems stem from that.

Eviction is a harsh penalty, but its what follows.
Joey should know better by now, but unfortunately has a history of misbehaving after getting a tech.

Going after the ref in the media? Just a dumb move.

Reply #623259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz next time you want to accuse a person of doing something "just because they happen to be black" please remember to first get in your time machine and go back a century to when that type of thing wasn't universally considered to be ignorant and disgusting.

Reply #623260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" the NBL has provided lack of clarity on this issue and definitely show they have something to hide.

...the NBL is just compounding the issue with the lack of honesty in their response"

How do you conclude this? Was Hogan suspended for racial abuse?

Reply #623265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1} Was Hogan accused of racial abuse
2} Was any action subsequently taken against Hogan
3} It is realistic to assume that there could be a link between 1 and 2?
I don't see a lot of people concluding things but I do see a muddy minefield

Reply #623266 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

"How do you conclude this? Was Hogan suspended for racial abuse?"

That's my point - we don't know. We have Joey, Boti, the Sixers and some reliable posters indicating on here saying that he was. While the NBL is saying he wasn't but have failed to specify what he actually was suspended for. That's why the NBL should provide clarity on why Hogan was actually suspended, until they do that, this issue will drag on as we don't know who to believe, and it would actually benefit the NBL to state what Hogan was suspended for if it wasn't racial abuse. The fact they haven't done this loses them crediblity and considering very reliable posters on here seem to be hinting that it was a racial issue, I'm leaning towards believing Joey's version of events that it was.

Reply #623269 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm talking about what happened this weekend, not ancient history.
It seems you're struggling to make the connection, but if I were racially vilified in the past, and then felt like the same person later blew up at me again, I might raise that history chatting with a friendly journo. And if I felt like a ref looked at me and made that comment, I then couldn't trust their judgement as a ref disputing my claims about a call.

What was supposedly said is very offensive; I was even shocked when reading it - it's apartheid-era South Africa stuff.

Perhaps the NBL brought about its fine/etc, then someone who was involved in that suspension back in the day reminded them of some details they lacked or had ignored.

The 36ers are only going to distract themselves on the cusp of finals by continuing with this, even if they're right. As I said, the NBL should at least quietly rescind their action. The 36ers shouldn't distract themselves, and the 2016-era NBL can be excused from a fine issued allegedly without full information.

A brilliant final round is coming up and then hopefully an exciting finals series. Better to focus on that. But calling Joey despicable through this is outrageous.

Reply #623270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't get suspended for 6 weeks for saying something kind

Reply #623271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Whilst Hogan was suspended in 2011 in respect of remarks he had made about Coach Wright, the NBL's investigation at the time into that incident did not result in any findings in relation to any remarks or slurs of a racial nature. "

So he abused him, but not racially, according to the investigation. They don't need to say anything else.

Whether he did or didn't racially abuse him is beside the point. Joey claimed he did, and was suspended for it, in order to save face for being ejected.

Reply #623272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The league needs to review all tech fouls issued by Hogan to African-American imports over the years and rescind them. As he is a known racist the only possible explanation for him giving techs is his racism and none of the players involved deserved them.

/s

Reply #623274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And if I felt like a ref looked at me and made that comment, I then couldn't trust their judgement as a ref disputing my claims about a call.
What was supposedly said is very offensive; I was even shocked when reading it - it's apartheid-era South Africa stuff.

So Hogan said these comments to Joey's face, a man who is known to be very volatile and there was no punch up like in Perth many years ago with Adam Tatalovich in 2014.

I struggle to see if these comments were racial and verbally directed at Coach Wright that he could contain himself.

Reply #623275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"whether he did or didn't racially abuse him is beside the point"

Isn't that the entire point at the centre of the discussion

The new NBL has no records of past issues. It had to be shown the facts by a 3rd party. Post there original statement that the ref was never suspended the NBL stated that he was suspended but not for anything racially based.

The ref was banned for 6 weeks which would be one of the heaviest suspensions in league history for anyone

Joey is very confident about the events

Boti is also confident enough to have Uncle Rupert's lawyers back him up at risk of employment if he is wrong

The ref concerned has not made a statement that have seen refuting Joey's claim and I doubt that you will see him make one.

Reply #623276 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

That's a very long bow to draw anon #623275. How can you say how a person who you don't personally know would have reacted to a situation 6 years ago, have you ever been racially abused? Stupid post.

Reply #623277 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Dazz "When you get a tech-foul, the number one rule is that you shut up and sit down."

That is rubbish you're allowed to seek clarification in a calm manner. What is determined a calm matter is subjective.

"Going after the ref when you have already received a Tech is just plain stupid, and he completely deserved to be evicted."

More rubbish. Do you want to exaggerate it anymore? At what point did he go after the ref? A different ref gave him the first tech then Hogan decided to come along to speak to Wright. Completely deserved to be evicted? Was he abusing the ref? was he yelling at the ref? He was slightly animated.

"Then going after the ref in the media, is just mind-bogglingly insane."

No what is insane is your inability to put together why he did it. Find one case where an NBL coach has been thrown out of a game for such a small infraction. No abuse, no yelling. The ref could have just said "It hit the ring and they incorrectly didn't reset the clock" and walked away, instead handled it poorly. Wright is right to question if Hogan has a hatred bias towards him since what happened in the past. If Wright goes directly to the NBL nothing gets done. If he makes a scene of it then he gets what he wants and that is to not have Hogan ref his games. Whilst a decision like that hasn't been made official, I doubt we will see Hogan ref any of the Sixers remaining games this season.

"Besides which, throwing out the "racist" card just because you happen to be black, is despicable."

As Isaac said a new low for you Dazz

Reply #623278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Uncle Phil, how on earth do you know if I know someone personally? You dont. You are making assumptions based on nothing. Secondly with a track record as long as your arm for being overtly aggressive and volatile its a pretty easy bow to draw. And for all you know I actually have all the facts so maybe pull your little head in.

Reply #623279 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"If it was my name splashed across the papers incorrectly it is what I would do." If you think about what you said there you might solve the riddle for yourself or not.

Anyway as Isaac has said we have a fantastic week of Basketball coming up and then the finals series. The NBL has done the best they can by not saying too much and letting the game go on regardless of what happened. Only us die hard fans are curious to what actually happened. The rest of the general public would feel the matter has been dealt with.

Reply #623280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeez Dazz. Just keep digging a bigger hole. Surely you must have learned from all your idiotic posts that it is you how should simply stay away from the keyboard. You would have a lifeban now if this was basketball.

Reply #623281 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Anon, I think it's a much shorter bow to draw that you don't know Joey personally, and also a short bow to draw that you have no idea what your talking about. The fact that you post as an anon and make statements like you did shows how little credibility you have. Maybe your the one who needs to pull your head in fast you can stop embarrassing yourself.

Reply #623283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#276, your post is playing exactly in to Joey's hands. Instead of focusing on what he did wrong on the night, or how his claims via the media that the refs made a series of blunders was actually wrong, we are now pointlessly guessing whether Hogan was in fact racist. All you are doing is filling in some blanks on their behalf.

One thing is for sure, whenever Joey does something stupid, Boti is right there to clean things up for him. If we want to talk about track records and being able to trust people's judgements, there is enough history from those two to make me question anything they say.

Reply #623285 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Joey has now accepted the NBL fine .. no appeal etc....

Reply #623288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well what do you know Uncle Phil, he has accepted his punishment. I am shocked at that! People don't accept things that they have proof are wrong.

Reply #623291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh so I should post as Uncle Fester and that would give me credibility. Because Uncle Phil gives you so much street cred. Laughable

Reply #623293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrbzVkwyiNM

I do my best not to be racist although it isn't easy.

Reply #623301 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

"Oh so I should post as Uncle Fester and that would give me credibility. Because Uncle Phil gives you so much street cred. Laughable"

It does actually give Uncle Phil credibility Anon #623291. If you've been around Hoops SA for a while you'd be aware that Uncle Phil always provides well thought out, well written meaningful comments that are worth reading. Same with posters such as Isaac, Paul, XY and rjd who used to post a while ago.

This is why I hate anonymous posters - it's hard to judge if what they're saying is worth reading because they have no history, and zero credibility so you generally just skip what they have to say and move on to the next post. When you have limited time and thousands of posts to read why would you bother reading posts from anonymous posters rather than guys that already have "Hoops SA" credibility. If your aim on a forum is to get your posts read then why wouldn't you come up with your Hoops SA handle and stick to it?

I understand the irony of this is I've read and am responding to an anonymous poster but that is merely because Uncle Phil mentioned him in one of his posts!

Reply #623328 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

I think I got my anon posters wrong - meant to say "anon 623293". Which goes further to my point. It would be far easier to reference posters if they weren't anonymous!

Reply #623329 | Report this post

Uncle Fester  
Years ago

Cool. Follow if you like. The truth is Joey rolled over and accepted the penalty. Hardly the actions of an innocent man who cried wolf!!

Reply #623331 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Cheers Uncle Fester! See this is already easier :)

You could conclude that or it may just be a case of the Sixers wanting to put this distraction behind them and focus on the business end of the season rather than having this drag on... Also I would say it wasn't Joey's decision alone to accept the penalty - probably a club decision to do what's in the best interest of the Sixers.

Reply #623332 | Report this post

Uncle Fester  
Years ago

Rat10 we are talking racial vilification. This isnt role over shit. You don't let racial go. There is a reality there

Reply #623341 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The truth is Joey rolled over and accepted the penalty. Hardly the actions of an innocent man who cried wolf!!
Actions of a person at the top of a ladder, not wanting to distract his team further.

Reply #623373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think its bit late for him to try and take the high road.

Reply #623376 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:37 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754