Isaac
Years ago

Taipans-Wildcats Semi Finals series thread

Perth are looking dangerous but Cairns have recent form of their own, winning three straight to close the season.

Both teams finished with identical home records (10-4) and away (5-9).

Which are the match-ups to watch?

Topic #40862 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMO Gliddon and Jawai are the keys for Cairns. Last game against Perth Jawai carried the Taipans to victory amidst a poor game from Gliddon. If those two can get their 15-20 points then it free everything up for Trice, Mitchell & Wortho and friends.

Perth will a big series from Mckay and Brandt in the paint

Reply #624856 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Gliddon and Trice will be shut down.

Jawai would be pretty hard to guard but Cats will shut out the passes.

Reply #624860 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

If Prather plays like Sunday then yes we are a good chance, he has been poor in Cairns of recent times.

Going to need a full effort from everyone to get up in Cairns though.

Reply #624861 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Both teams in good form winning 4 out of their last 5 games. The battle between Mitchell and Prather should be huge.

Perth need to contain Jawai. He made a meal out of Brandt and McKay last game. Perth gave up a lot of rebounds in the third quarter in that match and their transition game dried up as a result.

Cairns should be favorites for this series but you can't help but think that if Perth can sneak a win in on Game 1 they can clinch the series.

Reply #624864 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

If we score more points, we'll win. No doubt.

Reply #624865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#advancedstats

Reply #624866 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

This should be fierce, scrappy, gruelling and low scoring. An all out war.

All 4 contests during the season were close- so I'm expecting more of the same. 3 tight games. I'll tip Cairns 2-1 with all games going to the home team- again like the regular season.

Go Pans!

Reply #624877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth 2-0. The last game led by 13 before going away from what got them that lead.The playoffs are physical and slow. Defence wins championship and no one has a better defensive team then Perth.

Reply #624887 | Report this post

leungtl  
Years ago

Ironically, I think you'll see Perth play with a lot more freedom these playoffs now that the dark cloud of the streak has dispersed.

There is a similar train of thought that players may lose focus, but there's way too much experience on this team for that to happen.

Similar to LV I also think Cairns will take it 2-1 on home games, but I'd like to be pleasantly surprised!

Reply #624892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Referees
Game 1
Vaughan Mayberry
Chris Reid
Brett Hogan
Emergency Toni Caldwell

Game 2
Michael Aylen
Vaughan Mayberry
Chris Reid
Brett Hogan
(1 of the 4 will be the reserve)

Reply #624906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Emergency Toni Caldwell"

Good to hear. Cats will have a chance now!

Reply #624908 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Seeing Vaughan is doing both games I suspect it will be a 2-0 series win to the Wildcats win with Cottono, Marto, Knighto, Shawno and Jesso out flopping Wortho :-)

Reply #624909 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Emergency Toni Caldwell is actually her full name.

Reid is the worst ref in the league...... I can't wait to view his mediocrity in person once more. It gives me tingles down my spine, and if i'm telling the truth a slight tingle in my loins.

Reply #624911 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

thanks for the roster Anon

Reply #624912 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

"Reid is the worst ref in the league...... I can't wait to view his mediocrity in person once more. It gives me tingles down my spine, and if i'm telling the truth a slight tingle in my loins."

lol!

Bless your little orange socks, Kingpodge, you are a credit to the board :P

Reply #624919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taipans should win this series. Game 1 obviously crucial but they get that, cats won't recover. They didn't look at all good against united, barely doing enough in a playoff game for them. Taipans will grind it out better. Low scoring series.

Reply #624922 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Does any Taipans supporters know if Mitchell can shoot? He takes lit ike he can but ends up bricking it. Not even close.
Players like Wagstaff, Gladden, McCarron, MacKay, Kenny,Weeks, Brandt will decide this series.
Cairns have built nicely with Loughton, Weigh, Weeks just coming into form at he right time.

Reply #624928 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Why do Cairns play first game away? Adelaide plays first two games at home and third away if required, yet Cairns draw is the opposite,despite finishing 2nd on ladder, playing away and then at home. To me they are disadvantaged as they have to travel, play game 1 and then travel back for game 2 only 2 days later.
Yet Adelaide can wrap up their series without travelling to Illawarra. Is there a reason for this that I have missed?

Reply #624932 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I think you've missed the fact that none of what you said is true.

Adelaide and Cairns both have games one and three at home, Illawarra and Perth have game two at home.

Reply #624934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was going to ask you sixtiesrockstar how you got the scheduling so wrong. But by looking at your nickname I guess it is from all the substance abuse back in your heyday.

Reply #624935 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

@kobrulz
I am just going off the calender schedule on the NBL app. Looks like another oversight from the NBL techies.
It lists Adelaide at home Game 1 on Thursday 16th and game 2 on Monday 20th with game 3 in Illawarra on Thursday 23rd.
It lists Cairns playing game 1 in Perth on Friday 17th, game 2 in Cairns on Sunday 19th with game 3 in Cairns on Friday 24th.

Reply #624939 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Don't know why NBL app schedule was so wrong, closed down app and reopened and it has been updated with new schedule.

Reply #624943 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

probably an organic interface error.

Reply #625055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's that all too comon computer glitch, 1D10T error!

Reply #625058 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Perth should attack nate from the high post, get McKay to draw a couple of quick fouls utilising his speed.

If Perth rocks up for 3/4 per game they can win this. Unfortunately that has been an impossible task all season.

Although it seems obvious key players avoiding foul trouble will be key, cotton, damo, prather for perth and Gliddon and Nate for cairns.

Reply #625072 | Report this post

BOL  
Years ago

Agree that McKay has to play this series at the level he did on sunday for the cats to prevail.

Im tipping Cairns to win the whole thing this year. They have defensive grit and a good spread of scoring options and in recent weeks have finished games off much stronger than their opponents.

Reply #625120 | Report this post

Fakedelight  
Years ago

It comes down to the Cats being able to neutralise Jawai. He dominates us,
If we can get him in early foul trouble, the game is ours for the taking.

Reply #625141 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Are the Cats in Cairns now?

Reply #625143 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Reid, That clown couldn't see from 1 mtr away the ball came off Ware's foot then couldn't see the ball came off Wagstaff's foot.
This has been the worst season for ref's in the last decade.

And won't Joey be happy to see Hogan?

Reply #625164 | Report this post

Wildcats80  
Years ago

Series was close, taipans got Perth twice at home once without Prather and last game knight was missing so with a full team I'm confident we can get the all important game 1

Reply #625165 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I'm wearing my Perth goggles and I'm not taking them off until we're eliminated. Perth to sweep Cairns 2-0 ;)

Reply #625174 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"Are the Cats in Cairns now?"

The commentary team on Sunday mentioned they believed they were flying straight to Cairns, however there was an article in the West today stating they had been excused from the Awards night so they could fly home and prepare...so who knows.

Reply #625187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The commentary team on Sunday mentioned they believed they were flying straight to Cairns"

Brad Robbins suggested that...I don't think he had any sort of idea what was happening, rather just speculating on what they might do. There would be no need for them to head to Cairns five days early.

Reply #625188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns are only there because they faced a 36ers team that already had their number 1 spot wrapped up and were resting players, that being said they are coming good at the right time.

Reply #625189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt they flew straight there. Why change up your usual routine for an away game right before playoffs?

Reply #625190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they weren't excused from having to be at the awards night in Melbourne on Monday night then they may have been planning to fly straight to Cairns on the Tuesday.

Reply #625223 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

There's absolutely no reason that ether team can't win this.
All their games have been close. Perth's last loss was without Knight, Cairns' earlier losses were without Mitchell, etc.

My biggest concern, and I'm only speculating, is that the Cats have already played their finals. That was a massive game against MU, and I reckon the collective sign of relief probably spawned a high-pressure system.

Reply #625272 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Same could be said for Cairns. They've played playoff games for the last month now

Reply #625278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Manu Fieldel I couldn't disagree more, Cairns played a 36ers team twice in the last 2 games who had already solidified the top spot and were happy to rest their guns. In what finals game would Randle only play 11minutes? Cairns were always going to win the last two.

Reply #625363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with anon, any team other than Brisbane would have won those last two games against the 36ers.

Reply #625364 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

My biggest concern, and I'm only speculating, is that the Cats have already played their finals. That was a massive game against MU, and I reckon the collective sign of relief probably spawned a high-pressure system.
I think they're too experienced for that to apply. I think it might apply to Adelaide though after cleaning up at the awards night. On their side at least is how well they had responded to Joey's coaching throughout the season.

Reply #625371 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

But facts.... Randle and Sobey played 30+ minutes in Adelaide. They weren't tanking. If you think they were, put down the box score and watch a replay of the game.

Even when Randle only played 11 (the rest of the started played close to their regular minutes) they were playing to win. Again, watch the game... don't just look at the box score.....

"cairns were always going to win the last 2" - is a statement that originated somewhere between your small and large intestines.

Reply #625411 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

This series could go either way in my opinion. Both teams have had tough schedules leading into the playoffs. The Taipans played 10 games in 29 days with double headers (1 home and 1 away) in each of the last 5 rounds. The Wildcats played 9 games in that period but had one round where they didn't have to travel.

Interestingly, it seems that the Wildcats (even though they were in Melbourne on Sunday) were allowed to miss the MVP awards night on Monday yet Fearne, Gliddon, Trice and Worthington flew down from Cairns to attend. I wonder if Fearne knew the Wildcats had been excused and if he was given the same opportunity ?

This game will be harder than the 2 previous home games against the Wildcats as they are now at full strength and Prather seems to be back to his best. I think they are going to be very hard to beat with the one question mark I have on them being that I'm not sure they are as hungry for a title as they were last season whereas the Taipans certainly are.

The Taipans however, can be very shaky if it gets close at the death - as recently as the last home game against Adelaide they did their best to keep Adelaide in it at the end. They have been particularly vulnerable all season when they have started off well and built good leads and have been a far better team when they have had to chase down a deficit.

Reply #625413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Even when Randle only played 11 (the rest of the started played close to their regular minutes) they were playing to win. Again, watch the game... don't just look at the box score....."

Who was on the court when the game was there to be won? Not the best five guys that Joey could have put out there. Maybe you should watch the game instead of just reading the "minutes" column.

I dont think they tanked but they certainly weren't focused on winning.

Reply #625415 | Report this post

Dazzamaniac  
Years ago

They were focused on winning, it was just focused on winnning by using their bench. You know, to develop their bench so they can build on their already dominating starting 5.

That first lost to Cairns was adelaide just flexing their muscles to say "we are that good, our bench almost beat you in crunch time".

Reply #625416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They aren't that good though.

Reply #625417 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

So Joey didn't have all his best troops on the court during crunch time in Adelaide?

Nice story Anon. next.

Reply #625421 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

I think you're right there Dazzamaniac

Reply #625423 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Even when Randle only played 11 (the rest of the started played close to their regular minutes) they were playing to win. Again, watch the game... don't just look at the box score.....

What with Doyle running the point late? I think it's you who needs to watch that game in Cairns again.

Reply #625427 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Zodiac, the point i was making was that the starting 5 got their run in cairns, minus Randal, obviously he was giving the bench guys minutes but the intent was to win. They weren't tanking.

The game in Adelaide, no one was resting.

Reply #625429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems like some people are struggling to understand the different between tanking (i.e. intentionally losing) and not doing everything possible to win.

Reply #625432 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

and they did neither in Adelaide, they played to win.

Reply #625433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So Joey didn't have all his best troops on the court during crunch time in Adelaide?

Nice story Anon. next."

You were talking about the game in Cairns, where they had their bench on for a long time in the 4th. Nice shift of the goalposts though.

Reply #625436 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

I was talking about the Adelaide game kiddo, hence why the location is mentioned in the post......

Reply #625442 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

Fight fight fight

Reply #625446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"But facts.... Randle and Sobey played 30+ minutes in Adelaide. They weren't tanking. If you think they were, put down the box score and watch a replay of the game.

Even when Randle only played 11 (the rest of the started played close to their regular minutes) they were playing to win. "

Sorry, you were talking about both, and I responded to your comment about the game in Cairns, where the bench was being played for large minutes in the fourth.

Reply #625451 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

congratulations. You just played yourself.

Reply #625453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Podge, its not that hard. You mentioned both games, giving specifics for both. I responded to your comment about one of the games, and gave specifics. You saying "I was talking about the other game" is not a response.

Reply #625454 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

technically, yes it is.

Reply #625456 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Weight off Perth Wildcats' shoulders with playoff spot secure, says Casey Prather

"Thirty-one consecutive play-off appearances is an unbelievable accomplishment. Trying to get there and not wanting to be the team that didn't make it is definitely a big weight off our shoulders," Prather said.
“We’re a lot more free. We know we have the chance to compete for a championship so all of the pressure is off our heads.”

Reply #625458 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Wow, a Wildcats thread derailed by an inane and irrelevant discussion about the 36ers - there's a turnaround!

Reply #625460 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

haha just like death and taxes.

Let us hope we don't see the same incompetent officiating that marred 2 (3 if you ask Wildcat fans) of the regular season matchups....

See the ref roster doesn't fill me with much optimism....

Reply #625461 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

We're a lot more free. We know we have the chance to compete for a championship so all of the pressure is off our heads.
Is that a good thing?
With the pressure on, the Cats stepped up and played two of their best games all season.

Reply #625478 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Which games are you referring to?
The Kings game we played a broken team. Yes we play well at home as front-runners against a crippled opponent. No surprises there.
The United game I thought was far from our best. It was ugly and not impressive IMO. We out-shot Melbourne from outside the arc and still barely scraped home.

I believe we've got another level left in us, which is good because we'll need it to advance.

Reply #625497 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Going to be interesting to see how the games are reffed. With the one notable exception, Jawai generally gets a raw deal. If the Refs let the Cats get away with mugging him every time he gets near the basket, he can be contained.

At the other end, will they continue to role out the "little guy protection" for Cotton? Or will they be less inclined to blow the whistle in the finals.

Reply #625583 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Hawks couldn't handle Randle.

Can the Taipans handle Cotton AND Prather together?

That should give you the clue.

Reply #625856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bill off the ball more like it

Reply #625857 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Bill's right, there's no question that barring foul trouble or them just having a really bad night, Cairns should struggle to contain the Cats' backcourt.

But the question is whether Cairns' frontcourt dominance can counter that.

Reply #625870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time will tell.

Reply #625871 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:59 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754