greybuoy
Years ago

NBL salary cap equalisation payments

Anyone else hearing the vaunted NBL player payment disclosure and the overspend equalisation payments to underspending franchises are now dead issues, so far as the bank-rolled clubs are concerned?
Spending 'whatever' didn't help Melbourne or Sydney perhaps, but having an extra $250k tipped into Cairns this coming season should be good for the League. Ditto sentiments in Adelaide and the Gong, I'm sure.

Topic #41387 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pathetic if not going ahead.

Reply #637838 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How have they explained this to their smaller clubs?

Reply #637840 | Report this post

greybuoy  
Years ago

Not in any way privy to the details, but in Melbourne the conversation was that 'equalisation won't bother us this year regardless of what Cairns thinks is supposed to be happening'. And 'not any time soon' about player payment disclosure.
It's because I was taken aback by this verbal disregard for an important agreement among the clubs that I've come here to this site to ask if others have any inkling.
I'm all for Melbourne doing what it takes to put a championship team together, but if the League falls over because there are less teams and less teams competitive then that's daft!

Reply #637842 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Is it possible that the calculations have been done and the payments made behind closed doors?

My rationale is teams expecting a payment would have really complained by now, and publicly, if the payments weren't forthcoming.

Another reasoning, since the LK era the NBL have more often than not done what they have said they would, which is a huge improvement from before.

The only downside is that they said they would make the player payments public. In fact I don't even know what the luxury tax rate is supposed to be....anyone know?

Reply #637843 | Report this post

greybuoy  
Years ago

I formed the impression Cairns were indeed pressing for the NBL to explain the prevarication!

Reply #637845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hi greybuoy thank you for bringing to light the shocking attitude of Melb Utd and no doubt the other wealthy clubs. Disgusting.

Reply #637849 | Report this post

greybuoy  
Years ago

Nothing I'm saying establishes anything as fact, but I believed what I was told.

Reply #637855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK with one year to go on the 3 year option going for GOLD!

Reply #637864 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Both of his teams couldn't make the finals last year. The Karma Bus running on schedule!!

Reply #637881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fantastic to see I might add, but without LKG there would be no NBL. It's only a matter of time.
It seems that Melb United are losing money and want to enter Tassie to pillage their sports funding now.
2 games per season for 3 years. Lots of profit for United if the current Government agrees to that.

Reply #637905 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

I have asked to question about the promise to publish deemed salaries and the equalisation tax a number of times on the NBL Facebook page. It is just ignored. As much as I love the game and enjoyed last season this issue is really pissing me off.

For some reason I cant explain it's even pissing me off more than the Groves and Firepower salary cap rorts or McPeake's antics with the Tigers.

Reply #637906 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:20 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754