Anonymous
Years ago

6ers import Allan Wiggins

Sixers have signed Allen Wiggins as the third import. An 11 year pro journey man. Seems rather underwhelming.

http://www.adelaide36ers.com/news/article/35425-36ers-inject-experience-side-signing-basketball-veteran-alan-wiggins

Topic #41923 | Report this topic

Tornado  
Years ago

Give him a chance but on face value it doesn't look like he will help us much.

Reply #649985 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Que Stud boy and the haters.

I would have preferred a Jacobsen type but at the end of the day we just need an experienced role playing import.

We have two top notch imports in Moore and Shorter. We have the best talent of Australian players in the league. We are in a good position.

Reply #649986 | Report this post

Tickle me Cosby  
Years ago

Would much rather Hakim Warrick. Another bargain bin import.

Reply #649990 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

He doesn't sound like a superstar, but by far the most important thing is how he'll fit into the 36ers lineup.

Jacobsen wasn't a star either- just a solid role player.

They didn't need someone to average 15 points a game- that's what DJ is for. They just need a good fit who can put in 15-20 decent minutes a night.

Reply #649991 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And actually, if Hodgson or Deng are improving (and they are in the right age profile to do so) or if Wright goes small ball more often with Creek at the 4, then Wiggins might not even be needed for 15 minutes.

Reply #649992 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

We need someone who can rebound and defend in the post...will he offer this to the team?

I'm not concerned with scoring - we have other players for that.

Reply #649993 | Report this post

MattyG  
Years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bO7yNxOTqs

Found some highlights of his time in japan.

Reply #649995 | Report this post

MattyG  
Years ago

Appears to definately have an inside/outside game, which will help us spread the floor.

Reply #649996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings next to sign another dud import.

Reply #649999 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Solid big off the bench, not an exceptional defender, more inside than outside but a scrappy rebounder. Not much hops as well, think of Garlepp that can rebound.

Reply #650001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much weight has he lost since he got here?

Reply #650002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems more of a SF than PF

Reply #650006 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Should have just re-signed Jacobsen at end of last season. Thought he showed sone good signs and would ve been better second year round. Hopefully Wiggins is a solid fit but doubt Perth or Melb will be shaking in their boots.

Reply #650008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All of you guessed wrong.

Reply #650012 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

Without commenting on Wiggins, agree that I would have been very happy to see Jacobsen back: known and improving.

Hopefully this guy can move his feet and will be solid inside when it counts.

Reply #650018 | Report this post

Ceres 43  
Years ago

I've seen him play in the Japanese 2nd Div. league, and considered him one of the best imports in the league last year. He's pretty versatile, has decent length, can handle the ball, shoot with range, and is pretty wily/crafty. He's not gonna dominate the paint though, and does seem to coast at times (that could just be his demeanor, however).

Reply #650031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Japanese 2nd division though

Reply #650032 | Report this post

Ceres 43  
Years ago

Yeah he played 2nd div, but it's a promotion/relegation system (so strong 2nd div teams were comparable to mid-bottom 1st div teams), and honestly he was a 1st division-level import IMHO.

Reply #650033 | Report this post

Ceres 43  
Years ago

FWIW Jacobsen is playing in the same 2nd div league this season.

Reply #650034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for info. Yes didn't bj league merge with the other league to become a two-tier new league?

Reply #650035 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Ceres 43 how is Jacobsen going in that league stats wise?

Reply #650036 | Report this post

Ceres 43  
Years ago

Yeah, 3 leagues merged into a 3 division pro league with universal pro/rel. He was on an ex-bj league franchise last year, which was probably on the cusp of being put into div 1 when the new league was deciding on the inaugural division compositions.

That said, the mid-to-bottom of 1st div was almost exclusively populated by the ex-bj league teams (the opposition NBL teams having the cream of the crop of the Japanese players and bigger budgets). But I expect that to change as the league matures.

Reply #650037 | Report this post

Ceres 43  
Years ago

https://r-zephyr.com/roster/eric_jacobsen.html

He's doing pretty decently so far i'd say.

Reply #650039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better $?

Reply #650041 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Ceres43,

Do they play 12 or 10 minute quarters?

Thanks for the EJ stats. I see he has played (on average) 30 minutes a game and has similar stats to Wiggins. I suspect however that Wiggins played more minutes per game.

Although being left handed I like that he can play both sides of the basket and appears to have excellent footwork and ball handling skills in the open court.

I would like to see more examples of his abilities on the defensive end and I am curious how he might go in what I expect will be a much strong league defensively.

Reply #650043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

appears to be way better then cooke jr. at the wildcats

Reply #650044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You'd hope he's better than Cooke Jr as he's playing a different role to Cooke Jr.

Reply #650047 | Report this post

Ceres 43  
Years ago

10 min qtrs.

Definitely, the game is a lot less physical here, simply due to the fact that the average local pro is shorter and lighter than his anbl equiv.

Skill and speedwise though it's close and getting closer. The merger of the pro leagues here has given the sport a real shot in the arm. The level of play has really picked up with the new league. Imports are much better compared to pre-merger, and coaching has improved significantly (there's a lot of quality foreign coaches here now).

Right now Japan's nat team is in the third tier of asian teams (1 Aus/NZ 2 Chn/Phi/SKor 3 Jpn/Tpe). But I can see them not far off moving into and cementing themselves in the 2nd tier (3 to 4 years), given some of talented young guys coming through now (Togashi, Hachimura, and Yudai Baba).

Reply #650050 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Wiggins has already arrived in Adelaide and will meet the guys for the first time tomorrow when they come back from Cairns.

Reply #650053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You'd hope he's better than Cooke Jr as he's playing a different role to Cooke Jr."

Yes he will be playing the contributor role rather than the dead man walking role.

Reply #650054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Going on results so far did they need to pull the trigger and get someone in straight away? Could they have sat on the ability to bring in an import at a later time when deficiencies in the team have materialised. Could have save some coin potentially or got a high quality import for the same money as expenses now but over less games.

Interested in the thoughts of others

Reply #650089 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I thought similar and was thinking the Hakim Warrick rumour was a bit desperate and had hoped they would take their time until a big shakes free from NBA training camps but Joey obviously liked this guy getting Ken Cole to work him out over in San Diego first before signing him.

Reply #650091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hes Trash

Reply #650651 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He's been in the country for two days.

Reply #650670 | Report this post

blanketyblanks  
Years ago

Joey quoted the media as saying "he's a perfect fit".

What was that based on tonight?
I appreciate jetlag and a new team doesn't give him much time to prepare but didn't do much for me but in saying that, all good wine takes time to age. I will give it a week or two but will start expecting Sydney game next week

Reply #650695 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I thought the pace and level of athleticism got the better of him tonight and he didn't get many opportunities to feel his way into the game. It was a tough christening.

Sixers were monstered by Melbourne's bigs which made it easier for Melbourne to drop so many 3's.

I am not convinced he is the right import for this team, I think they need a better low post defender but I expect Adelaide won't be the only team who gets beaten up by Melbourne.

Reply #650704 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:43 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754