Yinka Dare
Years ago

Prather or Felix?

What would you do if you were Melbourne United? They struggled early on and seem to have been on fire since Felix joined. Do you keep Prather or Felix? I think Prather is better individually but Felix better in united team structure.

Topic #42642 | Report this topic

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Felix for sure.

United produced 1.5 good games (Sydney at home and first half @ Illawarra) with Prather there. I just don't think Prather can do a lot of what Felix can do, plus what Felix does is the one-percenters, the glue stuff.

Big mistake by United

Reply #670383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has a decision been made?

Reply #670387 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Seems that way. Prather was speaking as though it's an inevitability that he'll be back. Doubt communication inside the club could be so poor that the players didn't know where they stood before being interviewed on national TV

Reply #670390 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Plus, all the 'reports' say that Prather will be back

Reply #670391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller! But Prather is a winner. I wouldn't like to make the choice, could it be contractually that if Prather fit has to play.

Reply #670395 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Prather is by far the better player, unfortunatley as others have said he doesnt fit as well as felix because he needs his touches.

Reply #670400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excellent.

Reply #670401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be classic Melbourne if they opt for talent over chemistry yet again

Reply #670412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United can't win, if they bring Casey back because he's fit to play and it's the right thing to do, and then they don't win, you'll say they're stupid. If somehow Casey ends up not being fit to return (and possibly the club decided he's not fit) you'll complain that they're cheating and that the decision was made by LK because he wants 'his team' to win 'his league'

Reply #670422 | Report this post

Jim  
Years ago

Under the injury replacement rules if Prather is fit to return to play and cleared by doctors he has to play. Felix can come back in but only if Prather is reinjured

Reply #670427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Felix didnt play last quater he done

Reply #670431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather's rehab was officially completed at 3Q time of that game. Props to Felix for playing to the rules by the letter.

Reply #670434 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Sounds like consensus is that Felix is better fit with United (see my comments in game thread).

Will be interesting to see what happens.

Reply #670436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather won't be passed fit by doctor Goldstein if United don’t want him to be fit.

Reply #670446 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"Prather's rehab was officially completed at 3Q time of that game. Props to Felix for playing to the rules by the letter."

Best comment in the thread.

If United were “playing to the rules by the letter” they could have subbed Prather in for the final quarter, but didn't.

Does this mean United don’t want either player now. Maybe they’ll find a way to introduce a new gun import to guarantee a championship.

Reply #670456 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

What's going to happen is Wesley is going to get fewer touches, and he is United's most efficient offensive player.

Prather looks like he's in it to win it, rather than just build his name, but if he's selfish then United will fall apart. Needs to focus his energy on defence and rebounding, plus work on the jumpshot (which is a worry considering the elbow)

Reply #670463 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

But I don't think he's the calibre of Felix defensively

Reply #670464 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"Prather's rehab was officially completed at 3Q time of that game. Props to Felix for playing to the rules by the letter."

Best comment in the thread.

If United were "playing to the rules by the letter" they could have subbed Prather in for the final quarter, but didn't.

Haha, I would love to have seen that. Especially if Felix had fouled out at the time.
#geniusmove

Reply #670491 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

What do we mean by 'playing to the rules by the letter'?

Reply #670498 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Rule 303
Catch 22
Subsection C

I think original reference was to "the letter of the law" concept.

Reply #670503 | Report this post

Kas  
Years ago

I think Melb Utd were just starting to play well when Prather got injured - Prather is a proven finals performer - I'd be happy to have him back

Reply #670849 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

Looks pretty certain the Prather will play. As a Melbourne supporter I'm not sure how I feel about it. Prather is a better player but their season turned around the moment Felix arrived. Went from 5th place to comfortably 1st. Just concerned his return will adversely affect the on-court cohesion.

Reply #670857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's hope it does. Melbourne chemistry being wrecked is the best hope of the playoffs not being a one horse race.

Reply #670860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The bench got used a lot more since Prather went down, which has helped Melbourne depth. Used correctly Prather could be an attacking asset, more insurance if any one gets injured as well. Felix has been very good though.

Reply #670874 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Agree with the no-win scenario... If United do what every other team has done nit eh past and do the "he's not coming back as he's not 100%" path as Felix is obviously the better fit, they're cheaters... If they do what would be seen as the right thing and bring Prather back because he IS fit, and their chemistry goes to kaka, then stupid old Unitards did it to themselves again...

At least they have their core group signed up for next season and they can build around their most important players ... *cough*

Reply #670970 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/melbourne-united-facing-tough-import-decision-on-eve-of-finals-20180206-p4yzhy.html

The way Vickerman is talking its like its his choice with the NBL rules regarding injury replacements as a secondary concern.

This pretty much confirms that the organisation will make the call not the relevant medical physicians.

Reply #671221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bingo. In theory it should not be a 'choice' at all it should simply be waiting for the green light.

Reply #671225 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Vickerman floated a brilliant idea there- start Moller, bring Prather off the bench.

It's all about team balance.

2nd unit- Prather and Adnam high usage- Barlow, Majok, Andersen and Hooley all relatively low usage.

This will keep the balance on a very effective starting group, and improve the bench. Prather could be like a Ramone Moore- could score 12 or 14 points in 16 or 17 minutes and be the go to guy whilst on court, with Moller playing the majority of the time alongside Casper, CG and Wesley.

That's a blueprint for success.

And so is keeping Felix, given recent results.

Reply #671264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^
It looks like both options are good, Prather off the bench certainly balances the team well, Moller has got better and better and plays very well with out a lot of ball.

Reply #671276 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:59 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754