Anonymous
Years ago

Perrin Buford requests release, Bullets comply

Bullets release Buford citing that he requested it to explore opportunities in Europe.

Topic #42659 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

GM Clarke:

It has become obvious over the last week that Perrin was no longer committed to the team, and the situation has become untenable. It is not in the best interests of the rest of the players or our fans to retain a player that is not committed to his team or the Club and have agreed to release Perrin immediately.

From MVP talk to showing up in Google searches for not toughing it out.

Reply #671160 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Not roughing it out might look better on the resume then coming last. Sydney look like they can snatch another game or 2 and get off the bottom

Reply #671161 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

Disagree FM. No other team down this way will touch an import that bails on his team with a few games to go.

Reply #671162 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

WOW - he would have been a target for the Bullets to re-sign and I'm sure other teams might have offered him too. Doubt that will happen now

Reply #671171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Makes sense for him. He's a contractor and has to look out for his next job.

Leave a sinking ship for money in a new country and city.

Can’t argue with that.

When a team cuts an import it’s ok. But when an import wants to leave it isn’t.

Reply #671173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"When a team cuts an import it's ok. But when an import wants to leave it isn’t. "

It's called a contract. If the team cuts the player, the player gets paid. But if the player wants to leave, does he pay the team? Nope.

Reply #671174 | Report this post

thatguyontheend  
Years ago

Unless a highly regarded import with history, don't get paid out at all and get a flight home paid for.

Australian basketball as it improves and becomes back in the spotlight again needs to remember the game has changed since the 90s - its all business!

Reply #671175 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And he was paid for the last game where the Bullets suggested he wasn't putting in the effort.

From Liam Santamaria:

The relationship between Buford and the rest of the team has been a rocky one all season. Buy-in has been an issue since pre-season.
paul:
I heard he was just a different customer. Treated it more like a job, ala Europe, rather than investing into a team setting as we do here in Aus.
(Mod: Fixed paste!)

Reply #671176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems like a win win for both sides. Wasn't going well why continue to sink dollars into a rocky relationship. Seems clear it wasn't going to work out and he likely won't return.

Reply #671179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Buford still eligible for MVP? Because LOL if he wins

Reply #671181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Won't get a job here again. This locks brisbane in for the spoon 2 years in a row - can’t see them winning another game.

Reply #671182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems like poor character from Buford. Don't need guys like that in the league, he obviously thinks too highly off himself.

4 missed games plus last weeks poor effort is enough to see he doesn't win the league MVP. Playing every game is pretty important with the voting system.

Reply #671189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is hopeless from Brisbane! How are you going to say he wasn't committed to the team? He's one of the few players on Brisbane who played his heart out and competed despite being surrounded with spuds like TeRangi, Mitch Young, Bruce etc.

I hope he wins MVP, and he was still the equal favourite with Conger in my mind. But not polling in Brisbane's last four games will hurt him.

Reply #671190 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

If he's being penalized for treating it like a job,then the Bullets need to grow up. You reckon NBA teams have Kumbaya cuddles at training?
No wonder these muppets are at the bottom once again.

Reply #671195 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Second year in a row Brisbane have released an import with their season already over just to get rid of them.

Reply #671201 | Report this post

ferdterguson  
Years ago

He is talented enough to get a gig in Europe and its probably better to look now than in a month.

Cairns have essentially done the same thing with Sparks although he is still on the roster playing minor minutes.

Makes sense for the teams outside the finals to cut costs if they can and run the locals to see what players are worth bringing back next season.

Reply #671204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Says more about Brisbane and Lemanis than anything else.

Bullets organisation is a total mess.

Lemanis has fared very poorly. Put the side together, can't coach it. If it wasn't for previous runs on the board and a national gig, the villagers would be screaming for his head on a stake.

Reply #671207 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

TBH I'm surprised that there isn't the call for his head moreso as the expectation is there being the National Coach... Maybe there just aren't the Bullets fans around or they can't figure out the right end of the pitch fork to be using?

Either way, poor form on Bufords part to have that much a significantly bad attitude that they can even use it as an excuse... No real sugar coating either, which is a surprise for the NBL...

Reply #671213 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I don't really see a problem with Buford requesting a release.

The season is over for the Bullets, Buford did give his best most games, especially when the season was still alive for them. His name being in MVP discussion confirms he did well when invested.

Clarke did not need to angle his tweet to suggest non-commitment to the team. He could have been a bit classier and stated Buford had opportunities in Europe and wished to pursue them, since it would be of no consequence to Brisbane, we let him go. If Brisbane were in the top 4 that is a different matter entirely.

Reply #671214 | Report this post

It sounds like his attitude has been a problem for a while but has become a real distraction now that their season is done. Daniel Kickert, ever the diplomat, has pinged one off on Twitter apparently aimed at Buford. "Once a quitter always a quitter".

Reply #671216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Nbl is a lot tougher than a lot of the imports expect, I thought he played well but he was not the winning edge Brisbane needed.

Reply #671220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That would explain Kickert's defence, quit once and keeps doing it.

Reply #671223 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Very poor form and highly unprofessional by Buford.

Even when teams cut players they usually dress up the statements talking the player up, the Bullets haven't even tried to hide their disdain.

He won't ever get another job in this country and will miss out on a few overseas too for doing this.

Reply #671228 | Report this post

SM  
Years ago

I have no issues with teams releasing players due to bad attitudes. Similar to Jeremy Tyler and that Venezuelan guy from Cairns (name I've forgotten).

Brissy don't have the money to be replacing imports mid-season so I can understand why they kept Buford around, particularly since he could play. Now their season is well and truly over, fair call to get rid of him.

Reply #671243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not great for fans turning up to a Brisbane game.

Reply #671260 | Report this post

ferdterguson  
Years ago

I wasn't aware of the ongoing issues with Buford and Lemanis during the season.

Just trying to put the pieces together with no info.

A potential timeline;

I'm guessing after the Bullets were knocked out of the playoffs his agent put a short term high dollar/euro deal in front of him that he wanted to take.

A release was requested and denied.

Buford put in a low effort 2-13fg performance against Melbourne. Perhaps Buford didn't practice hard, or sat out with a dubious injury the last few days.

A release was granted.

A press release was sent out without the normal 'mutually amicable parting of ways' type stuff you normally read.

Reply #671261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

carerra was injury release not attitude mate

he was looking good when he played

Reply #671269 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

It was officially injury but it was reported that he clashed with Fearne.

Reply #671270 | Report this post

Pickem  
Years ago

The bullets have certainly made their bed so to speak for Thursday night's game.. given their parting shot at Buford they’ve got no excuse at all not to play very hard and very well against the Hawks

Reply #671271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Buford was 1 from 11 the time before when he played Melbourne, 2 from 13 last weekend, Felix and Moller have had his measure. He's received a good euro offer and has bolted, Brisbane got the shits with him and let him go. He was a tip for the mvp so certainly was scribing it up.

Reply #671275 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

Carrera had an injury but he was released due to attitude. 100%.

Reply #671283 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

^
100%
Is that you Homicide?

Reply #671322 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

100%. He's a grown man, trust me. Bronx New York!

Reply #671343 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Like fluro green spandex tights, Carrera clashed with everything

Reply #671346 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Conversely, the Taipans is of a shape that not even an elastic hugging material liek Spandex could fit.

Just blaming Carrera is the beginning of that slippery slope.

Reply #671362 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

I'm not sure what that sentence means, Lovebroker, but you know he's not a real Taipan, right?

Whatever slope I'm slipping down, i hope it's lubricated.
Carrera's an explosively passionate guy, and he showed some of that on the court (exhibit A being the dint in Cooke Jnr's face). The frustrations from the injuries would have added to his volatility as well.
Based on what has been reported, he clashed with the playing group, the coaching staff, and (probably) the parking inspectors around the CBD. And obviously, it got to a point where it was untenable.

But do I blame Carrera? Well, can you blame a shark for chewing off someone's leg? The sun for shining? or the wind for blowing? He is who he is. Even if he apparently came with a reputation for being volatile, he's a bloody talented basketballer and the Taipans probably figured they could harness that and manage the volcano. Was it worth the gamble? Hindsight says no... but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't ready to award him the league MVP after his first couple of games (that were all losses, but that's not the point....).

Reply #671368 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:21 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754