Jack Toft
Years ago

Hawks v Sixers Feb 11

Just when you thought there weren't any more good games left in the season, along comes this little pearler.

Season over for the Hawks, "no finals for you" said the finals nazi, "NEXT"
The pressure is on the Sixers though. More pressure than a guy with three girlfriends on Valentines Day. They need this win more than the Hawks. A win today secures 2nd IMO. The Sixers are up a game on the Cats, but need %. A win to the Breakers today sees them equal on wins, but with % the Sixers way.

Only a win by the Sixers locks in that 2nd spot.

Clarke and Conger have been solid performers all year, but the Sixers have just a little more firepower and should get this one.

Topic #42698 | Report this topic

Hogwash  
Years ago

Simple for Adelaide win and almost certainly be assured of second place.
Hawks don't have anything to play for but I wouldn't write them off.

Reply #672228 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Only a win by the Sixers locks in that 2nd spot.

Perth are only one loss behind us so we need to win this game and next week's game to lock in top spot.

Reply #672229 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

second spot I meant.

Reply #672230 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, it's a big game for Adelaide in the context of ladder position. They should win handily, but we'll see -
Hawks are the most unpredictable team in the league.

Reply #672231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rontei Clarke not playing due to heel injury

Reply #672234 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Damn! Rotnei played terribly last time.

Reply #672235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kind of getting sick of Deng talking trash week in week out, every player in the league could snap him in half like a pretzel stick

Reply #672237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Illawarra win this dead rubber it will be a victory of mixed emotions, like kissing your sister...which is exactly how Adelaide fans will celebrate if they win.

Reply #672238 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Coenraad playing well against us, as usual.

Reply #672239 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

They know my sister?

Reply #672240 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

I feel like Coenraad always kills the 36ers, he just seems to love playing against us

Reply #672241 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

And for those without a sister to kiss, I've been told that anon's mum is very much available.

Reply #672244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" More pressure than a guy with three girlfriends on Valentines Day."

Breakfast. Lunch. Dinner. Easy! That's what I'm doing.

Reply #672245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your annual reminder that Childress' propensity to physically attack his opponents is "out of character" and he's a "really good guy."

Reply #672246 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Illawarra look better without Clark

Reply #672247 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Sixers look better without Teys

Reply #672249 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Nice one anon, but mine all know each other. We're having a fun dinner with everyone and all their parents. Should be a cracking night.

Illawarra's D is woeful

Reply #672250 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

They should do a swap

Reply #672251 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Hodgeson! Where was that all year?

Reply #672252 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Great to see some fire from Hodgson defensively.

Reply #672254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that Ken Cole on the Adelaide bench?

Reply #672255 | Report this post

Doug  
Years ago

No Ramone Moore in the first half. Is there an injury?

Reply #672256 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Is Moore injured?

Reply #672257 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

" More pressure than a guy with three girlfriends on Valentines Day."

So in this analogy, rival teams in the top 4 are ex girlfriends.

Any more than 2 gets difficult.

Reply #672258 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

If Creek leaves I'd love to see us go after Coenraad. He's a great shooter, has size and competent defensively plus the Hawks only give him 1 year deals. Offer him a 2/3 year deal to come over.

Reply #672260 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

What's wrong with Ramone Moore?

Reply #672261 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Disciplinary action

Reply #672262 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Shane Heals head. Better for radio.

Reply #672263 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I thought only Teys was suspended? Or is this for something else?

Reply #672264 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Hodgson definitely has the ability to be the best shot blocker in the league. He's more athletic than most 6'11 guys in the NBL... he just has to stay on the court and not pick up silly fouls. You can live with the odd one where he gets called trying to block shots. I noticed against Perth too he was the only defender who Brandt struggled to get his shot off against.

Reply #672265 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Flop rule sucks

Reply #672267 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Drmic's face just fouled Coenraad's elbow.

Reply #672268 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Do the refs need a quota of unsportsmanlike fouls per game?

Reply #672271 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Another bad USF sixers way. Colour me shocked

Reply #672272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide starts some shit again. No doubt Joey will be complaining about Norton in the media during the week.

Reply #672273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The refs are just laughable. I mean cmon. It's disgusting.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME.

Reply #672274 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Refs have lost the plot

Reply #672276 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

absolute amateur hour from the refs again

Reply #672277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey ejected on second technical for calling for a flop?? What a joke

Reply #672278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs are terrible but good to see Sobey ejected.

#kissingyoursister

Reply #672279 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Flops, unsportsmanlike fouls. Spoiling the product.

Reply #672280 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

How was that usf on norton unfair, he blantantly shoved Drimic after the play was over - that has been called an usf all year. Two flops by the Hawks in the half yet the non flop by Sobey gets a T and then he gets a T for asking for the same to be applied to the other team. The refs need to have a hard look at themselves in the mirror.

Reply #672281 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Bullshit call turned into cheeseburgers. How good

Reply #672282 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Burgers don't lie

Reply #672283 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Just ridiculous! "Are you kidding me??" as Shane Heal just said.

Sobey gets a very questionable tech for not flopping and then asks for exactly the same call down the other end and gets thrown out of the game.

The flopping rule is ridiculous - way too harsh a penalty for something way too subjective.

Scott Becker taking things too personally. We want to see the best players on the court - not being thrown out of the stadium because you can't take a player questioning your call in a respectful manner?

Reply #672284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can't take the NBL seriously until they employ refs that understand the game of basketball. It's the only thing fans are left talking about any game

Reply #672285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh you Norton shoved mean Drmic after he landed on top of him? A bit of perspective is needed for that call.

Reply #672286 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I guess Bekker decided Illawarra need a make up woeful call after the USF on Norton.

Reply #672287 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Who knows, ref probably thought Sobey was calling him a wanker

Reply #672288 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Refs in NZ any good? Can we fly some over?

Reply #672289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You had every chance Hawks but you blew it

Reply #672290 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Becker deserves a suspension after that, possibly the worst combination of T's resulting in an ejection I’ve ever seen, hopefully he watches the tape and realises how crap he was at his job today and apologised to Sobey.

Reply #672292 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Refs pissed the 36ers off enough to get them going from the look of it.

Reply #672293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The tech on Sobey was rubbish but Sobey needs to learn the rules. If the referee's call a foul they cannot also call a flop. Its either one or the other, you can't call a foul and a flop.

Reply #672294 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Clubs are paying a lot if money for players to play and fans are paying to watch them. Not the refs. Don't chuck players out for crap like that.

Reply #672295 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

DJ asking why on earth he isn't in the boomers team?!

Reply #672296 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Just zero ball pressure from Illawarra. Adelaide scoring at such a high rate in the half-court is not acceptable

Reply #672297 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

We dont know what was said, no point in arguing the tech.

Reply #672298 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

One of the worst last quarters seen in a while by Hawks

Reply #672300 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Percentage booster in the end.

Reply #672301 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Took care of business.

Now just need to beat the Bullets or if we lose we need Perth to lose 1 of their last 2 to lock up second spot.

Reply #672302 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

"The tech on Sobey was rubbish but Sobey needs to learn the rules. If the referee's call a foul they cannot also call a flop. Its either one or the other, you can't call a foul and a flop."

Why not? They called a defensive foul on him. If it's a charge, then yeah, sure, can't be a flop, but why can't it be a flop when they call a blocking foul when he clearly flopped?

Reply #672303 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I know how to fix it. Change the rules back.

Reply #672304 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

The NBL needs to seriously take a look at the flopping rules in the off-season. They're patently ridiculous. The penalty just doesn't fit the crime especially when the crime is so hard to judge - it's a lottery what the refs will call whenever a player falls down.

When Sobey fell down, it certainly appeared that the contact knocked him off balance. It didn't look like Sobey accentuated the contact and was deliberately trying to deceive the ref which is why the penalty is so harsh for flopping. Was it a charge? Probably not. I think a no call was correct but the refs have to realise that it is possible for a player to hit the floor without them flopping and trying to deceive the ref. Maybe the contact was hard enough to knock them over? Maybe they slipped? Maybe they just lost their balance. So many possibilities.

To then be T'd up for being knocked down by legitimate contact is way too harsh given that the next T leads to ejection. Sobey had every right to question why Cody Ellis wasn't given a T for falling down given he was called for the same thing up the other end. If the refs hadn't called him for a ridiculous flop then he wouldn't be asking for the same thing. I would be open to the rules being changed for T's given for flopping not to be counted as T's leading to ejections - just 1 free throw and the ball back - that would be enough of a deterrent. T's leading to ejections should be given for play way outside the rules. As Heal said if you are going to throw out a player they need to have something "really bad" - and what Sobey did doesn't fit that category.

And the sad thing is that we are now discussing this rather than other talking points in the game that don't involve the refereeing. Points like DJ's great game, what the Hawks need to do next season to get better etc etc

Reply #672305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As stated above Rat10, Ellis got called for a blocking foul. Once a foul is called you cannot apply a flop warning.

Reply #672306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Hendo, a flop that causes illegal contact (as in the Ellis case) is to be called as a foul. Once a foul occurs you cannot then add/apply a flop warning. It's a FIBA directive.

Reply #672307 | Report this post

Joe  
Years ago

Time for Bevo to move on.

Reply #672308 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Hawks have a better team then last year. Word is a lot of in-house fighting. What's up with Bevo? need better coach.

Reply #672309 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Bevo is in the Hungry Jacks drive through right now. He could put some feelers out.

Reply #672310 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

It's not Bevo... when you have a guy getting 30-40% of the salary cap not good enough to even really be in the rotation anymore you can't win

Reply #672312 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Anon - just interested but does it say anything in the rule book about not being able to call a flop if there is a foul called on the player? Or is it a verbal directive from fiba to the refs? Just haven't heard of it before and it seems like a lot of others haven’t also.

Reply #672314 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Even if Sobey did know the rules he is within his right to ask why it wasn't called a flop instead of a block. What if one ref calls a block but the other has a flop warning - this could easily happen given how hard it is to actually determine if someone has flopped or not.

My point remains. You can certainly see why Sobey would ask for a flop to be called when he got called for a dubious flop warning down the other end.

Reply #672317 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The successive smiles on those kids being taken for a day out by Josh Childress ... getting sneakers that they would never be able to have..... pretty good to see....
His name will appear on hoolahoops where people like to write about those they hate....

Reply #672321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"My point remains. You can certainly see why Sobey would ask for a flop to be called when he got called for a dubious flop warning down the other end. "

Sobey is a flop. How many does he get away with every single game? More than entire teams.

Reply #672323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Sobey knew the rules he would understand why he cant ask that question. But as usual he was just trying to be a smartass and unfortunately got penalised (incorrectly in my opinion) for it. If he doesnt carry on Beker has no opportunity to give him a T. Adelaide as a team push the refs consistently, at some stage it is eventually going to hurt them. Luckily in the end it didnt hurt them today.

Reply #672324 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Bottom line. Dump the terrible rules that aren't working.

Reply #672341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Useless Hawks.

Reply #672350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo totally lost the playing group, internally a mess, he's got to go

Reply #672351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What can Bevo do when AJ is cooked. Sack AJ.

Reply #672360 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

And Adelaide fan's we're bagging Redhage

Reply #672380 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

FMD!

Do any of youse Cats fans actually speak Engrish or do you trounce around you cave dragging your knuckles endlessly beating your chest and making grunting noises as you discover fire and the wheel? Do you go to the local water hole with your club to find a partner?

"And Adelaide fan's we're bagging Redhage"

Fan's = possessive title
We're = we are
were = once was

Are you trying to say "And Adelaide fans were bagging Redhage (for flopping)"?

Reply #672384 | Report this post

Glen  
Years ago

Agreed, the flop is poorly administered, too contentious. Get rid of it sure. How about using the rules that have been around for ever, i.e. deliberately fouling a player on the shot after a foul already called on the play. 2:01 left in the first half. Not hard to get correct!

Reply #672385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SIxer fans didn't kick up a stink when damian Martin was teched for a flop when tripping on his own feet last week.

Reply #672387 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I think the whole Sobey flop thing is a bit over hyped.

Reply #672392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another swing and a miss for Jack. Stop trying to be funny.

Reply #672395 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I'm with Glen. Makes sense to get rid of crap rules that make refs look even worse.

Reply #672397 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

#387 that's because he flopped.

Gleeson: What happened
Martin: He stood on my foot.
Gleeson He stood on his foot He stood on his foot.
Ref: I didn't see that
Gleeson I did
Cough cough BS.

Video. flop.

Reply #672403 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

It did look like a Martin flop

Reply #672409 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Imagine if that Sobey ejection had come in a close, finals game? It would get spoken of for years.

His flop should've been a no call, and then him asking for a flop (with attitude) probably a warning.

Reply #672411 | Report this post

gongski  
Years ago

Hawks owner had a 3 year plan.......3 years is now up. Seems bored with his toy.... business has been taken over and kicked of the board. Why sign Bevo to a long term deal in this league. 4 years. You make the GF and next season players underperform but somehow its the coaches fault. What about front office when are they accountable, GM more concerned about being courted by pretty young things in short skirts, that was his major off season signing. Get rid off people loyal to the organisation and the team and bring back someone who last time they were involved threatened to sue the club. Thats the level of his ability. NOT GM material, wouldnt be surprised if owner walks...but hey just an opinion

Reply #672412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Another swing and a miss for Jack. Stop trying to be funny."

Not a Sixer or Wildcat fan, but I laughed.

Reply #672448 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:14 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754