Anonymous
Years ago

Should Corey Williams be retained as a broadcaster

My opinion is no. If the NBL is serious about becoming a top-level sporting competition. The main issue with Corey is that there is too much focus on "him". Him being his opinions, basically (this extends to other commentators always referring to what Corey thinks, even if he's not calling that particular game).

Essentially, fans tuning into the broadcast are being treated to an episode of "let's see what Corey thinks" rather than a game of quality NBL basketball. OK, this is an oversimplification but I think there's some truth to it.

When I turned on the broadcast of Melbourne v NZ Game 1, his first comment was "Edgar Sosa and NZ going to take down Melbourne United tonight!!". Great enthusiasm and nothing wrong with having a prediction, but how about actually building the main event up itself by breaking down the game, storylines, what we might see? That's how most top-level sporting competition broadcasts look like. Inform and educate the audience, and let them make their own judgments and opinions. Maybe after you've done that, then let us know what your expert opinion is.

By having so much focus on one guy's opinion, you are trivialisng the actual game itself.

A second reason why he shouldn't be broadcasting is that his ability to analyse and communicate the game to the audience is fairly rudimentary. But he's not alone in that basket in the world of sports broadcasting.

This isn't to say he shouldn't have a role at all in the NBL. I noticed the other day he launched a YouTube discussion type show, which, whilst I haven't watched, sounds like it would suit him. He's also been on a panel type show like Bill & Boz which may suit him better. And he has been noted for his ability to stir up a conversation on Twitter, which is also a positive. But let's keep him off the broadcasts, please.

Topic #42866 | Report this topic

Bol  
Years ago

I am an unashamed homocide fan. More so for his personality in the game than necessarily his commentary. I agree with the OP in part and can understand why he would annoy some viewers. But for me i would prefer him to be in the commentary than not. Remember there are two other commentators in the broadcast who can provide good analysis. Homocide adds some much needed charisma and he doesn't mind playing the adversary to entice some discussion.
I have heard him make some very good points at times and he can be more analytical if hes instructed to do so. Im sure he will keep improving in that area

Reply #677170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide is great, gets people talking. He creates probably ten times as much interest in the game as say Shaun Redhage.

Reply #677174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course he has to come back.

Maybe we might get sick of him inyears to come. But what he did this year was exceptional. And he bought out the best in heal as well

Reply #677179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes. As for redhage and Reid not so much fanboys.

Reply #677181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal? lol. Best of what? Guy is horrible.

Reply #677196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The guy who started this thread is just a salty Perth fan

Reply #677197 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"Homicide is great, gets people talking. He creates probably ten times as much interest in the game as say Shaun Redhage."

In my experience Corey gets people talking about him, not the NBL. There is a difference.

Reply #677207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes!

Reply #677209 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

He's a nutcase who blerts things out when he feels like it and has zero common sense or consideration for others. Could he be suffering from Donald Trump syndrome?

Reply #677210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'In my experience Corey gets people talking about him, not the NBL. There is a difference.'

True, but by extension are they watching the telecast to hear what he's saying? Or just going back on forth on Twitter?

Reply #677215 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

Your opinion is No lol seriously the NBL is white enough as to s let's give it some character Corey Williams is one of the the reasons the NBL coverage has been so for this year. Mate get a life

Reply #677223 | Report this post

Red82  
Years ago

No, he is limited in understanding game strategies, and 'guarantees' some silly outcomes. Tries to pump it up, but is transparently short on valid debate.

Reply #677234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No No No .
Cannot believe Foxtel think we are all bogans with no brains that they inflict this moron into our lounge rooms .
Why on earth is his rambling crap entertainment .
If others are boring fine as watching to see the game and some insight not what comes out of his mouth or wherever it comes from.

Reply #677239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No No No .
Cannot believe Foxtel think we are all bogans with no brains that they inflict this moron into our lounge rooms .
Why on earth is his rambling crap entertainment .
If others are boring fine as watching to see the game and some insight not what comes out of his mouth or wherever it comes from.

Reply #677240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, like the way he goes about it. He's been great and when I heard he was doing it I thought wtf but he's won me over. Keep him I say.

Reply #677242 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Would love to see cal Bruton given another shot at commentating. Guy knows the game and has charisma

Reply #677244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah get more AFL commentators

Reply #677245 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Some AFL commentators manage to kill their own game. They would be/ are even worse in a game about which they are under-informed.

There could be a niche for a radio/ online audio call of games. Watch the vision with the sound muted and tune into the better audio call. Like watching League state of origin or the grand finals and listening to Rampaging Roy Slaven & HG Nelson. I'd definitely tune in for "Festival of the Hoops" if those 2 got involved. Or the audio could be a more serious call.

Reply #677249 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Cal Bruton is a great idea. I reckon dennis cometti is too young to be retired from commentating. He'd make a fantastic anchor at least for perth games if he doesn't want to travel anymore

Reply #677253 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Cal would be great. He was always well liked, and would be remembered in 3 states (or more?) where he played and coached.

Reply #677257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the ACT isn't a state ;)

Reply #677259 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Geelong (Vic) player & coach
Brisbane(Qld) player
Perth (WA) player & coach
Hobart (Tas) player & coach

4 states. I don't think Cal ever played for the Canberra Cannons (ACT)

He also coached West Sydney Razorbacks (NSW) for part of a season so that’d be 5 states in total.

My main point is that he’s well travelled and well loved. A legend and a good guy. He’d bring credibility and an established reputation to the role.

Reply #677266 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Yes basketball game night is all about entertainment and love him or hate him homicide is entertaining and great for promoting the game

Reply #677291 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

I really like what he adds to the balance of commentary style. I'm not interested in a team where everyone is a polished Catholic or Public School boy, plus I really appreciate he hasn't once told me that I need high scoring to enjoy the game.

Reply #677309 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

LOL OP is obviously a Perth fan and most people who have a problem with him are no doubt fans of teams or players that he's hung shit on...

I was against him when I heard he was going to commenate like most people, but he's turned me around, tuned some things down and was pretty likeable IMO... Right or wrong, he's a great add to the commentary... They can't be all boring, vanilla knobs, and if Corey can get me to enjoy listening to Bias and Biaser for Perth home games, then it's a positive...

The conversation he inspires during teh commentary and online during and after games between fans and teams and other commentators, is usually more hit than miss...

I personally hope he comes back... More colour commentary, less frigging AFL dickheads...

Reply #677315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surprised how many people think he's adding a lot to the broadcasts. Guess it goes to show the Australian basketball public still need to be educated a fair bit more about the game.

Homicide's views/comments/analysis about the game are extremely simplistic - but if this is hitting the mark with fans, then it shows fan education needs more development.

Reply #677316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I personally hope he comes back... More colour commentary, less frigging AFL dickheads..."

Who are these "frigging AFL dickheads" you speak of? The only AFL guys I can think of are Dwayne Russell and Anthony Hudson and they weren't on that many broadcasts.

Reply #677318 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Psh... Entertainment doesn't need to be about education... If you want to be a stuck up basketball snob, that's your choice, but not everyone wants or needs to be "educated on the game", things CAN just be fun to watch...

Reply #677319 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

If you want to suck the personality from the league it would be a great idea to get rid of Corey Williams. We totally need more bores like Lachy Reid, Shawn Redhage and Cam Tragardh on coverage. Can someone dig up the oldest fossil they can find from a nursing home who used to play basketball with a peach basket and soccer ball and have him call the game or maybe Buzz Killington of Family guy fame? Yeah, thanks.

Oh no, he detracts from the game does he? Well as long as people are talking about something linked to the league, he is doing something for the league. Even if he wanted to lay down a 15 minute rap at every half time and that's all anyone tuned in for, he's doing more for the league than every other drone Fox Sports has.

Bring him back. Quit being such purists. it aint all about you.

Reply #677328 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Do you have any evidence people are tuning in to see him? Because I'm pretty sure there isn't any.

I've stopped watching games he broadcasts. I've seen two clips since - the Adelaide-Melbourne game where he decided a timeout with a minute left in a one-possession game was a good time to talk about the theft of Charlie Villanueva's toilet, and the Perth-Adelaide brawl where he immediately jumped in to make it all about himself and his social media.

Reply #677356 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

When did Lachy Reid become known as boring? I like his commentary and think he's one of the more professional and entertaining commentators out there. (Maybe its the Perth fan in me)

As for Homicide - not a fan most of the time, although I like the chemistry between him and Redhage particularly later in the season when they started to gel. I feel that he is required and can see him continuing on. He has a place in the league even if its as a 'manufactured villian'

Reply #677362 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Not surprising that Perth fans are in the majority of those being against him coming back... koberulz, you had it in for him from the start, based on previous seasons, that's fine, I was against him too from previous seasons, but he turned me around... Maybe because I'm not a Wildcats supporter... I really doubt people are listening to him for in depth Xs & Os... I guess you'd rather Brad Robbins come back? Jeez, shoot me now...

Haz, you were spot on with his chemistry with Redhage, and especially later on in the season when he and Lachy started calling him on his shit, or paying him out for some stupid comments...

I won't lose any sleep if he doesn't come back, but I think it would be a huge shame, especially if they didn't replace him with someone else with as much personality...

Reply #677370 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I guess you'd rather Brad Robbins come back?
Honestly? Yes. I'd rather someone who was bad at their job due to incompetence than someone who was bad at their job on purpose.

Why do commentators have to have "personality"? I'm not aware of any other sports having commentators with "personality", that's not their job. Their job is to increase the public's understanding of the game.

I think there's a role for Homicide in NBL broadcasting. I don't think there's a role for him in the commentary booth. His fantasy segments were fine, I'm sure his YouTube show is great for the people who are into that sort of thing, etc. But I'm sick of tuning in and feeling like Homicide is the most important thing about the broadcast, even when he's not in the building. The game is what matters.

I'm not much of a fan of Reid's overly-excited commentary either, personally.

Reply #677372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Honestly? Yes."

You have officially lost the plot.

Reply #677382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just vomitted when kr replied yes to Robbins.

Reply #677399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haz, you were spot on with his chemistry with Redhage, and especially later on in the season when he and Lachy started calling him on his shit, or paying him out for some stupid comments...

I don't mind that banter, but I consider it the fault of all involved when the commentary team pay more attention to their rivalries (past on court, or present predictions in commentary) instead of focusing on the game at hand. IMO, there were far too many times when significant on court activity was either ignored or misconstrued, and all they were talking about was each other.

Russell on the other hand, has no clue about the game, and constantly makes errors in his calls. His only 'personality' provided is a cliche Aussie red neck. Comments like 'how good is that?' or 'oh my god' just provide no value, and are not at all entertaining.

Reid is still too partisan for my liking (I'm from Perth). Really don't like 'us vs them' mentality from commentators. Redhage had his moments too, though thought he was a little more contained.

I think all our commentators could benefit from sabbaticals to U.S.A., if such a thing is possible. Is Denis Cometti available as a consultant commentary coach?

I thought Williams improved throughout the year, particularly as he got to know the league. He had a few good points along the way, and lots of misguided assertions. I agree with Isaac that he would be better suited to a discussion panel than commentary. However, I think NBL could probably work with him to improve his service. I don't think he is the worst option.

Reply #677453 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

I think the semi final loss has hit you badly, and you need to take a break, koberulz and come back to society when you're going to make sense...

Can't take anything you say seriously from now on...

Reply #677509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You think that's bad check out what he is posting in the "why no women commentators thread". It's scary.

Reply #677513 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I think the semi final loss has hit you badly, and you need to take a break, koberulz and come back to society when you're going to make sense...

Can't take anything you say seriously from now on...
I saw that loss coming a mile away, so no.

I'd just prefer a guy who's trying to do his job well and failing miserably to a guy who's trying to do his job badly and succeeding.

If Homicide's commentary was exactly the same but his off-air attitude was different, I'd take him over Robbins. But it's the fact that he's just trolling that I can't stand.

Reply #677519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corey been great like all the others. Only thing I suggest is to keep bringing on retired legends more often!

Reply #677563 | Report this post

Keep Corey as a colour commentator. That is an unintentionally racist statement. But i think he ads some value just by being a bit of a hype man. Good energy.

Redhage improved over the course of the season but he's still cringey and awkward. I'm all for giving guys a go. You can't develop new commentators if you don't give them a chance to work on the craft.

Bring back Rucker.

Reply #677757 | Report this post

Turbotom  
Years ago

Corey makes watching a game of NBL so hard and painful. He just makes loud dumb statements that add nothing to the game. No ability to call what is happening, be relevant, or be close to the mark. Cringeworthy. Watching the Hawks vs NZ game at the moment and he is screaming random things at the NZ coach.

Reply #782067 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Derwayne doesn't help when he panders to Homicide by making reference to his social life as if he is some big star. We don't care.

Reply #782068 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:04 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754