Years ago

Is this Gouldings 2nd title?

Does his rookie year with bullets not count as a title due to only playing 1 game?

Topic #43017 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would count I reckon. If not it should count.

Reply #681825 | Report this post

lel  
Years ago

He was a development player in 2006/07, that's why he only played one game. All development players receive rings. Von Hofe, Short and Durrell McDonald are all champions this year with United, just as Vague, Bragg and Wroe were last year for Perth

Reply #681836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't he win one in the WNBL?

Reply #681838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe that's where the Sixers should try next year anon. Two straight failures..

Reply #681845 | Report this post

Nobby  
Years ago

Is Carrick Felix a championship player then also?

Reply #681849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He represented United in 2017-2018, and the team is recognizing him as one, yes. Same as Patton. Classy move by the organization.

Reply #681859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did Patton play for United this season? Didn't he play for Cairns?

Reply #681861 | Report this post

lel  
Years ago

Patton played 13 games for Cairns between October and December, then had a short stint with Utd as Andersen's injury replacement

Reply #681868 | Report this post

Years ago

Thats my point. Nbl are going on about it being his first title. But this is his second

Reply #681875 | Report this post

lel  
Years ago

it's his first "real" title, a title he had contribution to. It's a fair enough angle to take. Some media outlets are citing his title as a DP with the Bullets

Reply #681890 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would say if you didn't play in the GF series you're not a championship player.

Reply #681898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I say if you dont go to Game 5 in person you're not a true supporter

Reply #681901 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

Does Andrew Gaze have an NBA championship ring?? yes.

Reply #682144 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He has a ring, but would you really call him an NBA championship player? I wouldn't.

Reply #682160 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

then I think the same applies to Goulding

Reply #682176 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I would say if you didn't play in the GF series you're not a championship player.
I think this is a pretty silly view. The team didn't just randomly appear in the grand final.

Reply #682273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has a ring, but would you really call him an NBA championship player? I wouldn't.

From memory, Andrew does not. Gaze was not selected for the playing squad at all during the finals. The topic came up briefly on the NBL pod he used to co-host. IIRC, he dismissed the notion of him being an NBA champion, saying something to the effect of not having been involved.

Reply #682275 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Anon,

Gaze most certainly does have an NBA championship ring which he won with the Spurs in '99. He wasn't on the playoff roster but still a member of the team.

Type 'Andrew Gaze NBA ring' into google and have a look at him showing the ring to the crowd before a Tigers game.

Reply #682277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wikipedia says Gaze was one of the 14 players on the finals roster, with only 11 actually playing.

Reply #682280 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He wasn't on the playoff roster, he was in a suit & tie for the playoffs and didn't play but regardless you still get a ring.

Reply #682289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can be on the roster but not suit up. Is everything about him online wrong?

Reply #682305 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I think this is a pretty silly view. The team didn't just randomly appear in the grand final."

Contributing to making the GF doesn't make you a championship player. I was on a team that won a flag, played during the year but was injured for the finals, I certainly don't consider myself a premiership player that year.

Reply #682306 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Don't know about the NBL, but in the NBA even some staff members get rings.
(Not sure, but I imagine the team is given X, and can hand them out.)
Obviously doesn't make them a "Championship Winner"

Trying to include Felix or (God helps us) Patton, isn't a "classy move act" its just nonsense.

When an AFL team wins the Premiership, they will usually amongst their memorabilia include a photo of the whole squad, but their are only ever 22 "Premiership Players"

And yes, under the rules of the NBL, that means there is presumably a DP, whomever suited up for the GF.
And yes, I suppose we have to go further, and say that given its a 5 game series, there could be more than 12 players, but that's it.

Reply #682593 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Contributing to making the GF doesn't make you a championship player. I was on a team that won a flag, played during the year but was injured for the finals, I certainly don't consider myself a premiership player that year.
The footy system is utterly stupid. At the very least playing in a drawn grand final your team wins the replay of ought to count.

If Kirk Penney had been injured in the fourth quarter of game three of the 2011 semis, forcing him to miss the grand final, in all likelihood NZ go on to blow out Cairns anyway. Does his 40-point game two performance to save their season and get them there in the first place suddenly not count?

Don't know about the NBL, but in the NBA even some staff members get rings.
There was a Wildcats office member selling one of their championship rings on here a while back, wasn't there?

You really think whichever random DP suited up for the series is more deserving of a ring than Felix?

Reply #682690 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:45 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754