http://www.taipans.com/news/article/35949-mitch-mccarrons-european-dream

Topic #43023 | Report this topic

skull  
Years ago

as expected...

Reply #682003 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

"In sports, you need to strike when the kettle is hot and I know that this is the right decision to continue to advance in my basketball career."

Reply #682004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bad decision by taipans sacking Fearne with McCarron and Gliddon leaving.

Reply #682006 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Money Making Mitch McCarron

Reply #682007 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

stupid thought:

if jordair jett lights up the qbl and stays injury free is it beyond the realm of possibility for him to be at the taipans next year?

Reply #682008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bullets

Reply #682009 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Good luck to him.
As for Fearne, yeah you're right anonawank, we'll miss Fearne's titles.LOL

Reply #682010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gliddon is Perth bound and Mitch is Bullets bound

Reply #682011 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Since I'm classified as media, I can post this here and save the various Anonymi from having to follow links...

McCarron to remain in Europe
2018 CQUniversity Cairns Taipans MVP Mitch McCarron has decided he will not be returning to the NBL in the 2018/19 season, and will instead further his playing career in Europe.

Recently winning the Club's Defensive Player of the Year and (shared) MVP Award, McCarron enjoyed two stellar seasons with the Snakes for his professional debut in Australia.

McCarron first joined the Taipans in 2016, with the Far North Queensland club luring him home after a successful stint in Spain, winning the LEB Oro title with Palencia Baloncesto.

"Macca" fast became a fan favourite in Cairns, dominating in 2017/18 with an impressive 11.2 points, 6.7 rebounds, 1.5 steals and 1.3 assists average over 28 games.

The 25-year old made a name for himself in the NBL, while also having an impact internationally - helping Australia win Gold at the FIBA Asia Cup in August, with a selection to the Boomers squad for all World Cup qualifiers since.

“I’ve really enjoyed my time with the Taipans, and I’m definitely going to miss Cairns and the fans. But, right now I have window of opportunity and I really want to make the most of time here in Europe,” said McCarron.

McCarron is currently playing in the Premier A Slovenian League with Petrol Olympija - the same team that fellow Australian Aron Baynes played with before signing in the NBA.

“I’m flattered with the offer the Taipans gave me, but my focus right now is my development and embracing the diversity of competition that is available overseas,” said McCarron.

“In sports, you need to strike when the kettle is hot and I know that this is the right decision to continue to advance in my basketball career.”

Taipans CEO Mark Beecroft said he completely understands McCarron’s European aspirations, and the Club is fully support of his future endeavours.

“We were thrilled when Mitch signed with us two years ago, and we’ve had the privilege and the pleasure of watching him develop and grow as a player and as a person with us,” said Beecroft.

“He’s been brilliant for the team, a joy for the Club and we couldn’t be happier with all of his achievements. It’s certainly sad that he is leaving, but he owes it to himself to see how far he can go, and we’ll be watching with pride every step of the way.”

Reply #682012 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Coach would have stayed but players were leaving no matter....

Reply #682015 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Cairns have no coach, no star Aussies, no money for even one decent import let alone 3, how can they compete?

Maybe the question is will they actually be competing at all? Licence to be transferred?

Reply #682016 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

They will replace him with Dexter Kendrick Drew

Reply #682017 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Its all happening this week in far north qld...Cyclone Iris re-forming while Cyclones Cam and Mitch have fizzled out and are moving away from the fnq coast....

Reply #682018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's Kernich-Drew

Reply #682019 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I do feel for the Taipans this is their lot in life, developing some what cheap young talent that blossom on their watch and then leave to seek greener pastures.

I still say they stuffed up badly giving Jawai that big 3 year deal and were probably a bit too loyal to Fearne but this is the kind of stuff that can break a club in their position. McCarron was probably always going to leave but it would've been good if Gliddon had stayed to keep the team afloat.

Reply #682021 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Jawai lucked out on that deal,nobody saw that train wreck coming...

Reply #682022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

YOu can't post a full article Gordon.
You can part quote and cite the source.
Media should know that. ;)

Reply #682023 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Come on skull I basically said as much at the time when Jawai left Perth. I said at the time the worst thing the Taipans could've done is given him a big money long term deal. He was coming 'home' to Cairns they could've given him a short term deal and got away with it.

Fearne's always been close to Jawai too so likely to 'enable' him and not push him as much as needs to be pushed to get the most out of himself. Back home, on big money, long term deal with a coaching staff and organisation that are less likely to challenge him.

You could see all this happening a mile away two years of overweight, injury riddled, unproductive seasons. Contract year next year though, what's the bet he pulls his finger out next season!

Reply #682026 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'd have loved to have Perth offer him a big money contract as he is absolutely money and I'd have him as 12th man on a WC or Olympic squad if not higher on the bench.

As for Cairns, you guys are looking at it all wrong, Cairns take care of their players and improve (ok maybe not Sobey and definitely not imports; but McCarron, Gliddon, Weeks have improved) so maybe my theory on Cairns making a play for Anthony Drmic and him becoming a starter and winning Most Improved player next season is a reasonable possibility, McCarron and Gliddon leaving is giving atleast someone an opportunity and that may be all that they need

Reply #682037 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They can go after the underplayed guys with a bit of a chip on their shoulder. Maybe take on Coenraad, Drmic, etc.

Reply #682058 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

spot on Isaac, It seems Cairns has a real opportunity to fill the voids with some players that feel undervalued at other clubs

Reply #682061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adnam has a lot to offer, Barlow would be a solid older contributor as well. Blanchfield might want to go back to qld as well.

Reply #682062 | Report this post

Slopernator  
Years ago

Agreed, rumours of the Taipans' demise have been exaggerated. While you hate to lose Mitch in particular, it provides a blank canvas effectively apart from Jawai and Kuany. Not having a coach in position as yet may come back to haunt them with regards to recruiting quality Oz players as they become available shortly.

Reply #682068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They could chase:
Mitch Young
Daniel Kickert
Shaun Bruce

Reply #682071 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

It's definitely a big loss for the Taipans, I would imaging they would have thrown all they could at him to get him to stay, but at least it seems like a legit European option, not the old school "saying I'm going to Europe to avoid confrontation and then sign somewhere else for big $$$" thing...

Now remains the singular focus off finding a new head coach REALLY quick smart, as FA period will come at them pretty fast and with the common practise of chatting to other teams before they're technically allowed already underway, it has them big time behind...

Reply #682072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Money making mitch mccarron! M Cubed!

Reply #682074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This weekend is Commonwealth games basketball in Cairns. Good timing for H/C announcement....

Reply #682078 | Report this post

Slopernator  
Years ago

CG prelims go on for a little while yet. According to info communicated to members, the HC applications only close tomorrow but "...each candidate is initially assessed and screened upon receipt" which might leave the door open for an early announcement?

Reply #682079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could Shawn Dennis tempt Norton and Blanchfield back to the tropics?? They'd look great in orange....

Reply #682080 | Report this post

Slopernator  
Years ago

Agreed...would love Nick Kay to join them but seems Perth bound.

Reply #682082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word is Cadee won't be coming back to the Kings. So could be an option. Might want too much money though.

Reply #682084 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Cadee has a new GF up in BrisVegas, could be a factor? lol...

Shawn Dennis has a LOT of upside for the Taipans with being a known commodity and a coach that players will come and play for... Would make up for ditching Fearne and losing their two best locals if they can make this announcement ASAP...

Reply #682103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. Cadee has a GF? I thought he was in a car accident.

Reply #682105 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Better imports would help Cairns cause

Reply #682109 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

I agree with your last 2 posts WookieE

Reply #682111 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Some has to draw the short straw, Twink lol...

Reply #682114 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

I'd definitely pay to watch a club with Cadee and Shaun Bruce as a main guard pair up, .....just not very much, and I'd probably be the only one in the stadium seatiung

Reply #682115 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

If Brisbane are getting Gliddon and Cadee I hope it is not at the expense of Trice/a quality import pg

A guard rotation of just Cadee, Gliddon, Gibson and Shaun Bruce would be very average in todays NBL

But a guard rotation of

Trice, Gliddon, Gibson, Cadee could potentially be the best in the league.

Also Trice and Gliddon made playoffs together for Cairns, so not a bad starting point for the Bullets if they can get them both.

Reply #682127 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

"I'd definitely pay to watch a club with Cadee and Shaun Bruce as a main guard pair up"

me too.. in the qbl

Reply #682133 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cody Ellis is another one in that love-starved crew. Wonder if he's had much interest after almost getting completely ignored in Wollongong?

Reply #683025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could someone please get a consolidated player movement thread going?

Reply #683229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Feel free to do it.

Reply #683255 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:27 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754