Matt
Years ago

SEABL signing changes rules views

Anthony Drmic, has signed a contract with Dandanong for season 2018 in the SEABL. Surely a full time NBL contracted player shouldn't be allowed to sign on for a full SEABL season in the off-season. It should strictly be a development league for the next-gen, not a place where any NBL full time regular contracted off this standard should be able to play in the off-season. He s blocking the chance for a decent young local to develop. There should be tighter restrictions eg maybe only development NBL contract players allowed to play in the SEABL, but not guys who sometimes are an NBL standard starting 5 player or 6th man standard eg 15-20 minutes per game NBL guys..
The rules should be tighter eg NBL development contract players only, or guys who only played say a mimumum of three NBL games in season just gone.. The SEABL should not be a place where NBL local players should be able to "DOUBLE-DIP and play in the SEABL to stay in shape and get $ when they have NBL contracts and are NBL established players. It's a development league. It's why I reckon it should be in the NBL main season and SEABL form affiliate deals with NBL clubs eg like NBA and G-League, then guys dropped or missing out on match day 12 can play in SEABL(reserves basically) affiliate team. But yes really surprised a guy like Anthony Drimic standard player should be allowed to sign in SEABL.
Foreign imports different eg Garret Jackson types, as they are not locals and taking up an import spot..

Topic #43024 | Report this topic

Blerg  
Years ago

SEABL Ian an independent, professional league. It should be able to do whatever is members decide.

Reply #682041 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I'd say it’s a good way too supplement their NBL income (which is good) and lifts seabl standard (also good)

Reply #682042 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

You can't restrict a guy earning $60k in the NBL from earning an extra $20k in the off season. If not SEABL it would be overseas anyway. Plus it raises the standard of our second tier comp which is good.

Reply #682044 | Report this post

GM  
Years ago

The restricted player rules essentially deal with this issue Matt. As i understand the Rangers will not have an import but two NBL guys.

Reply #682045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you are not good enough to make a seabl team there are plenty state league to choose from. Like any business the best go to the top.

Reply #682048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you think Drimic is on $60k that's less than $20k above the minimum. He would be on a lot more than that.

Reply #682049 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

On his current contract which he would have signed when he was about 10th man yes $60k would be it, maybe his next contract may top $100k

Reply #682050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt,perhaps pay attention to the SEABL womens league,especially the Rangers team who usually stack their SEABL womens team with WNBL players its filled with fully contracted WNBL players, and they get around the restrictions because of the "number of games previously played"rule, (once a player had played 150 games for a club they are exempt from the restricted player rule),this then results in those who have to sit on the bench in WNBL with the 'development'tag hanging over them still ending up sitting on the bench in SEABL,and they wonder why players walk or give up. Rangers men usually have imports as they dont have an NBL team yet,so getting this guy isnt much different,and wont stop the development of any other fringe NBL players.

Reply #682052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is an offseason league. You should be trying to attract and boost the talent levels as much as you can! Its exciting to see NBL talent playing against guys in the SEABL. Winning your match up against an Nbl player is the best chance for players to be seen or noticed.

Reply #682053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drimic was on $120g per season it was reported when he left college, and he was telling that to his college mates at the time.

Reply #682054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

literally the dumbest thread ever

Reply #682057 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Foreign imports different eg Garret Jackson types, as they are not locals and taking up an import spot..

NBL players are "Resstricted Players" ... same as imports. They take the same roster spot as an import. Each team allowed 2 Restricted players. Import OR local.

Reply #682060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Try condesning your posts or at least put it into paragraphs.. you've made a few lately like this.. and whilst you make an effort to start conversation it's incredibly hard to read and follow

Reply #682066 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Drmic is earning more than $100K @Adelaide. Agent must be good.

Reply #682081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drmic loves Victoria. Confirmed.

Reply #682091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"NBL players are "Resstricted Players" ... same as imports"
There is a minimum number of NBL minutes that makes you a restricted player.

Reply #682094 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

With "restricted players" i get that but with the NBL what is considered a restricted local NBL player? Is it one who has a full time contract, or does NBL restricted players also include the developmental contracts in the NBL eg the guys who don't have full time NBL contracts but train with there NBL team and might make the match day squad if an injury happens? Is the NBL development contract boys a restricted player to?

And some say SEABL is an independeant leage, well yes BA own it not LK, but is that the point? Do we now have to leagues effectively competing with each other or servicing similar roles eg like the old days in aussies rules with the SANFL/VFL? The SEABL should absolutely promote 2nd-tier devleopment basketball and I reckon it should move to 1 restrcited player per squad.
Also as said to reflect this 2nd tier model it should try and form afiflaite deals with NBL clubs "ala G-league style" or SANFL in the AFL, running along in the same calander season as the NBL not in a seperate season.. eg playing as curtain raiser matches to the NBL.

The SANFL don't play in a seperate calander season to the AFL nor do any other big aussie sports in OZ, just basketball with the SEABL..
The old CBA in the 90's would play same season as the NBL and would often play at NBL arenas as the curtain raiser to NBL matches.. Sam Mckinnon got his start in the CBA when like 16 or 17..

The NBL ceo said last year, he wanted the NBL to have more connection with the SEABL and he said the NBL cared about the SEABL.. Maybe the NBL should by the SEABL from BA and invest in it...

Reply #682095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL restricted players are dependant on minutes played. Historically it's been approx 12 mins. Play more than that and your restricted, less and your not.

Reply #682101 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Anonymous, is that 12 minutes for the whole season or12 minutes per NBL game per season?

Reply #682107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes the season structure of basketball in this country needs to be reviewed.

Reply #682113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

12 min per game average.

Reply #682118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEABL you are allowed 3 restricted players in which of the 3 only 2 can be imports

Reply #682138 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Okay, 3 restricted players okay.. But still i reckon it should align with NBL season like the old CBA in the 90's, i used to go to curtain raisers for CBA games before the NBL game would start.. I still find it weird that aussie NBL guys are playing in an off season league in Australia, imagine if aussie rules had a summer league and you'd play AFL all winter then play in like the northern territory aussie rules league in the summer or something like that, or if tasmania played it's aussie rules in summer and you played in Tassie league in summer and AFL in winter.. It just seems strange, almost as if SEABL is like a 2nd professional basketball competition in Australia. Should we be ashamed of that? yes we should, it shouldn't be in a different calendar the NBL should be the no 1 be all and end all and take most of the credit and not be undermined with any quirky behavior or strange calendar situations where an NBl standard player of Anthony Drimic's level is one weekend suited up in the nBL grand final and plays good minutes then next week is playing in the SEABL, that is quirky and different to mainstream OZ sport and annoying this difference that basketball currently is doing compared to the rest of big mainstream OZ sports where all 2nd tier comps are in same calendar season. Basketball in australia should not be different it should be the same here. It annoys me and feels weird and absurd to be fair this Anthony Drimic situation...

Reply #682139 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

I wonder if Matt is aware that reserve players from the AFL, Low game AFL players, VFL, SANFL all do come to the territory and play footy during your summer in the Darwin wet season.

Shock horror, during winter in the southern states is our summer. Imagine the Australian A B and other cricket players coming to Darin to play in the off season. Yep they do that too.

Before Olympic events in the tropics, competitors come to Darwin to train and compete.

What SEABL is doing is playing basketball during the traditional basketball season. It was the NBL that moved, and to be honest, I would love to go back to a winter NBL season and then I would have summer NBA action. It would be 365 days a year hoops. Wow the. Our players could play a full Europe season, or full G league or heaven forbid just rest for the summer.

Reply #682141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drimic only earns $60,000 a season. MOve on Matt.

Reply #682146 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

FM

Um cough cough, stop being some minority panda with your minority views about scheduling. The NBL hasn't been a winter sport since like 1998, get over it. The NBA and FIBA leagues are all mainly like October-June type dates, so get over it that OZ basketball is in line with FIBA/NBA the whole basketball world stop with the minority view die hard rubbish... Um guys in the AFL who play SANFL do so during the same calendar season not in separate seasons like NBL/SEABL. But you probably think Basketball is in OZ is being flexible by doing this um no sorry it's not it's going against all mainstream sports in OZ by having the two top-tiers play in separate seasons... In SANFL for example or VFL clubs they form affiliate deals with AFL clubs, so guys not picked in the match day squad can play 2nd-tier, as opposed to playing 2nd-tier in summer(if SANFL/VFL were summer comps). Due to separate seasons, affiliate connections between the NBL and SEABL is not possible. I've written to the NBL about this schedule matter, and i also suggested LK buys the SEABL so he can have more say on 2nd tier basketball in oz and development league eg ala NBA owns the G-League..
Basketball should follow all other mainstream sports in oz with scheduling and stop being a minority style in it's outlook. The CBA used to be in the winter season in line with the NBL and there was a closer connection between the two as i've discussed in this thread..

Reply #682154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're missing one key point:

In the SEABL a majority of the clubs are still Association based. They're not stand alone teams, they are teams that represent bigger clubs:

Frankston
Melbourne
Nunawading
Sandringham
Kilsyth
Dandenong
Diamond Valley

In some cases they have self imposed quotas of "locals" that need to suit up each week.

Most of these clubs are part of associations that are beholden to domestic clubs who question the value of a semi-professional second tier competition that costs a lot of money to enter and play in, but doesn't bring in a lot of revenue.

These SEABL clubs all have to show their local domestic clubs the value of playing SEABL - probably best not to measure their value financially...but rather show the evidence of a working pathway for kids to progress from junior domestic to junior rep to senior rep.

That's a fairly significant hurdle. Local sponsorship is a way around it, but it can be tricky.

Reply #682165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drmic is actually going back to the club where he played juniors. That is a positive.

Reply #682166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NOw people are writing "like" into sentences. Cringeworthy when you hear it all the time, let alone like when it's like written.

Reply #682174 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Good point "Anonymous" who gave a detailed description of the local based system and recruitment stuff..
I think SEABL has u-20's comp(could be wrong, but BigV has u-20's comp)..

I wonder if BA subsidise any of the SEABL clubs eg help pay for travel costs etc and coaching staff etc via grants$ and other subsidies eg stadium hire etc..

Reply #682201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously you know nothing about seabl and how it works.

Reply #682214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it leads to a better quality product, why not. If a local is not up to it, go elsewhere.
If not, ban all NBL players regardless of minutes and also imports. Then watch the locals develop.

Reply #682225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt, There are quite a lot of the NZ Breakers & other NBL players that play in the NZ comp during winter?

There are also a number of NBL players that play in QBL as well.

IMO these players know they only have a short earning period and are looking to maximize their earnings during this period as well as stay in good shape & touch as mentioned above.

There are plenty of state leagues that locals can go and play in.

IMO there are not many locals playing SEABL that could transition to an NBL roster. IMO they're not good enough, don't have good enough skills, game, competitiveness, they're not big enough, etc to play in the NBL.

But, there are 7 to 9 spots available for locals, so if they are good enough, as the saying goes the cream rises to the top.

Reply #682287 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Okay, good points by some and the 7 to 9 spots, but everyone expect Anthony drimic to be very dominant at the seabl level eg like how say Lanard copeland was in the NBL very dominant or ricky grace..

Reply #682318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

im not certain that your post justifies a response but in short drimic will not be very dominant in seabl. You have no idea on how strong the league is.

Reply #682432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drmic will avg 25ppg in SEABL

Reply #682439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not against the good teams. What did he average in the sa state league last year? Did he even average that in the sa state league?

It will depend upon his role within the team though I guess. If he played for pioneers with there team first and and all costs he wouldn't get anywhere near that number.

It will be interesting to see how Deng performs for the pioneers. I think he will have some huge games and some with low points production. He will need to buy into their system and not chase numbers.

Don't get me wrong I like drimic and that he is playing seabl just don't think enough regard is being given to the standard of the league

Reply #682469 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:35 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754