Kriss
Years ago

Ben Allen carving up SEABL

I see ex NBL player Ben Allen has been carving up the SEABL with regular double doubles.

Given his stats and sheer size, could an NBL team come calling to lock him in as a quality back up big??

Surprised his career never really took off given his skills. Perhaps Woolongong??

Topic #43407 | Report this topic

Tornado  
Years ago

LOL...No!

Reply #690540 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Nope that ship sailed the moment he left Saint Marys

Reply #690551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a shame people get pigeon-holed. Whilst his first foray into the NBL wasn't great, people do mature and get better with time.

Reply #690560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is his hair?

Reply #690561 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Ben Allen certainly deserves a second chance in the big league. 6 foot 11 and a solid frame to boot. He will control the boards and has demonstrated his ability to score 20+ on any given night. He would sign up for basic wage id say, bargain.

Reply #690565 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Solid frame: Yes. When I saw him play vs Frankston, he looked to have added some weight and unfortunately moved even slower. However he is 6'11 and can shoot the three-ball still.

Reply #690568 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

He's 6'11 and can't rebound or defend, he couldn't last time in the NBL and still can't.

Averaging 6 boards in 30mins, reached double figure boards once for the season and his team has been blown out every game so it's not like he hasn't had the chance to gobble up boards when the game intensity is low.

He's a solid SEABL player, not NBL.

Reply #690571 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

One of the best 3-ball shooters I have ever laid my eyes upon to be honest. An option at Melb United as Andersen's replacement? Probably cheaper too for similar quality!!

Reply #690573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Meh whatever, so what if he didn't make the NBL. He has better hair than all of you!

Reply #690574 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Is he working outside bball or solely relying on playing income??

Reply #690575 | Report this post

ferdterguson  
Years ago

Canberra haven't won a game yet.

Allen and Joyce had opportunities at NBL level. Its good to see them still playing, although I think NBL teams would be looking at other options.

Reply #690576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His team just lost to Mt Gambier by 45 on the weekend. Nobody from the Mount played more than 30 mins with the entire squad hitting the floor. He is their only legitimate Big and has now been in an extremely good paddock. He wasn't the most mobile guy in his hey day and now has the turning circle of a large ferry. If he wasn’t in Canberra his SEABL days would probably be over also. 15 ppg & 6 rpg in a winless team probably says it all.

Reply #690584 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Regular double-doubles.... has one for the season.

Very good player that might have something to give off the bench, but has pretty clear limitations.

Reply #690587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lmao, please he's hardly seabl standard.

Reply #690590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's certainly carving up the SEABL turkey.

Reply #690593 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Kriss if you're being sarcastic fair enough, because he's 26% from 3 this season, and I'm tipping theres not many hard closeout happening.

Reply #690599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carving up the seabl with 15.1 points a game. Joyce ahs more and doesn't get a mention. Oh they haven't won a game. Thanks POp Allen for your post anyway.

Field Goals 2 Points 3 Points Free throws Rebounds AS TO ST BS PF FO PTS PPG
M/A % M/A % M/A % M/A % OR DR Tot
CANBERRA as of Round 8
21 Joyce Daniel 8 288 36.00 49/119 41 35/69 51 14/50 28 27/44 61 12 29 41 25 15 5 - 18 139 17.4
5 Allen Ben 9 262 29.09 50/130 38 37/80 46 13/50 26 23/32 72 9 48 57 41 19 3 5 34 136 15.1

Reply #690628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL Joyce and Allen on the same team. These two were the "favourite" players for forumites back in the day when they played NBL. #SoJ #haircare

Reply #690630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks I needed a laugh

Reply #690639 | Report this post

Thunder  
Years ago

Ben Allen would a solid bench guy for any nbl team. Why not sign him up for cheap

Reply #690658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now you're just taking the piss

Reply #690669 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Most teams would rather take Conn than Allen...at least Conn rebounds.

That said neither of these guys are getting NBL looks.

Reply #690678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conn has been playing on one leg for years and still doing a great job. 34 points I think recently.

Reply #690725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was a DP with the Dragons, wasn't he?

Reply #690729 | Report this post

Corono  
Years ago

Why doesn't Ben Allen look at his overseas options? His unique skillset could pay well in Asia or Europe.

Reply #690812 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Would you really take Allen as an import? Think not. SEABL seems to be he spot

Reply #690821 | Report this post

Corono  
Years ago

Yes I would take him in a heartbeat. Maybe not top tier Europe but lower end / mid tier for sure.

Reply #690822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think we've found Ben Allen's Hoops burner accounts...

Reply #690835 | Report this post

my2cents  
Years ago

^^haha very good

Reply #690843 | Report this post

Corono  
Years ago

It could be worth looking at China, Japan, Phillipines for an import job for Ben Allen. He would control the boards with his height

Reply #690852 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Hi Ben

Reply #690853 | Report this post

red bill  
Years ago

https://www.theroar.com.au/2011/08/18/the-next-big-thing-in-nbl/

Reply #690854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So why even suggest O/S stuff when he hasn't bothered to do it previously?

Reply #690911 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Corono
Last month
It could be worth looking at China,

Eh No. There are already a large number of really tall immobile bigs with small tickers in the CBA.

Reply #690920 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:24 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754