Isaac
Years ago

Illawarra confirm signing of David Andersen

Topic #43432 | Report this topic

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Plus former Crocs import Jordair Jett according to Olgun.

Reply #691193 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Good signing if healthy Hawks could probably expect 15mins a game from him.
20 years between stints could be some kind of record in professional sports.

Reply #691197 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Ogilvy/Anderson
Import/Ellis
Blanch/Coneraad
Rotnei/Jett
White/Naar

Provided they have the scope to sign a stud athletic import big, the rotation actually looks pretty good. White will play his usual 4 mins at the start of the 1st and 3rd to set the tone and take some heat off Naar, Jett gives them a spark plug off the bench, and they have nice versatility in the 4/5 spots.

Reply #691198 | Report this post

Fryz  
Years ago

It'd be close to Matt Flynn's record of time between professional games with a club, although he played 0 games in between.

Reply #691201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can only think Andersen and Jett would be on the cheap? And there should be a good 200,000 left in the salary cap?

Reply #691203 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Great pick up and good way for Andersen to see out his final season(s). Also personally, means I can support him without supporting United. Bonus.

Reply #691210 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It wouldn't surprise me to lure him there if the Hawks had tentatively promised Andersen a starting spot say at his natural PF position.

Just couldn't see him prolonging his career for one more year to come off the bench for a team that won't be a contender. This signing would be about pride, United and everyone else think he is done he wants to prove he isn't.

Ogilvy/Johnson (or cheap import)
Andersen/Ellis
Blanchfield/Coenraad
Clarke/White
Jett/Naar/Martin

I could see them putting together a team like that.

Reply #691220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andersen is a good signing at the right price

Would think potentially
Ogilvy/Import
Import/Andersen
Cooks/Coenraad
Blanchfield/Jett
Naar/Martin/White

Reply #691222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon Clarke becomes a local ? and Johnson,Conklin,and Jett are the imports? Andersen salary is less than 110,000 thousand?

Reply #691223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conklin?

Reply #691227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ogilvy/Local
Conklin/Andersen
Blanchfield/Conreaad
Import/White/Grida
Jett/Naar

Reply #691231 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Andersen must be a surfer, reckon he'll get a place at Thirroul

Reply #691242 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Been a very good player over the years and brings a wealth of experience.
I thinks he's past it, but form a team on a limited budget, if the price is right he's not a bad option for the bench.

As for his personal motivation, he's a professional basket-baller, its what he does. In life terms he's only 37, so there's no great rush to retire. Hopefully has a nice nestegg, but even the NBL minimum is still a living wage. He's got plenty of time later to learn to sell real-estate, or become a beach bum.

Reply #691259 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Jack Toft
Yesterday
Andersen must be a surfer, reckon he'll get a place at Thirroul

Nah. Sandon Point.

Reply #691267 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

I like this signing, especially if it's at a discount price and not blowing the Hawks budget (I really don't think that they'd splash that much cash on an experienced player that won't be able to contribute too much, even if it IS nostalgic!) because he's still got the talent and not being relied on to have to contribute so much would be able to extend his career a bit maybe...

Reply #691290 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Going on one season too long imo.

The speed of the game seems to be moving past him now. He played a very valuable role in the GF, but only had a few good games throughout the regular season and much of the time looked a little off the pace. His dropping stats between 2016 and 2017 for his French club also suggest he's declined rapidly.

I would've rather him go out with a championship trophy in front of 10,000 at Hisense.

Reply #691508 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Was he carrying niggling injuries at all? We've seen how much a good off season and getting things right worked for Loughton, maybe the same for DA...

Reply #691513 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Andersen is past it, no question.
But he's also a journeyman, nobody's going to hang his singlet, so whilst I'm sure winning an NBL championship was a highlight, its not THE highlight, nor the culmination of his career.
As the saying goes, you're a long time retired, especially from a sport where decent coaching or media jobs are few and far between.

And the thing with Basketball, is that there is a place for guys who are only good for a few minutes.
Sure, you'd rather see the young turks, but this is now the space that teams like Illawarra need to hunt in. Their days of being able to almost match most of the comp, and being assisted by a salary and points cap, are long gone.
They will continue to lose guys like Kay, and will need to replace him with a combination of unproven youth and cheap experience.

Reply #691516 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Yeah I had wondered about injuries.

It's always possible that he was struggling through last season, and that he got his body right during his layoff late last season. If so, it could mean the GF was more of an indication of where he's at than most of the regular season was.

Reply #691525 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Andersen was visibly just about done in his first season with United, IMO by playing on last season he played on a year too long and although he was a stobie pole on the court he at least got another championship out of it. From memory he only scored double figures twice all last season and one of those was in the season opener against us.

He's done and no doubt his body will pack it in completely next season but if he wants to go on and there is a team out there willing to sign him good luck to him.

Reply #691526 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:32 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754