Isaac
Years ago

36ers retain Brendan Teys

The Adelaide 36ers have re-signed Brendan Teys on a one-year deal for #NBL19.

Teys embarks on his sixth season with the Sixers, alongside a finalised Australian contingency of Daniel Johnson, Nathan Sobey, Majok Deng, Anthony Drmic, Adam Doyle, Harry Froling and Jack McVeigh.

US imports Ramone Moore and the newly announced Jacob Wiley join the squad, with one import spot remaining.

"It's awesome to be able to resign with the 36ers. It’s a club that I’ve been a part of since I started in the league. It was always my plan to come back with a good group of guys, a good organisation and a great coaching staff," Teys said.
Full story

Teys has averaged a league-leading 24.5 PPG in 13 games for the Eagles in SA's Premier League during the off-season.

Topic #43702 | Report this topic

Hogwash  
Years ago

Great news for Adelaide and their fans.

Reply #699119 | Report this post

Locke  
Years ago

Thank God. I can sleep at Night again. The GOAT returns.

#TeysusReturns

Reply #699121 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Wow Adelaide are stacked this year!! Looks like they're trying to buy a championship ;)

Reply #699126 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

the 36'ers just need a gun point guard to round things off:

*Import / Doyle
Sobey / *Moore / Teys
Drmic / McVeigh
*Wiley / Deng
Johnson / Froling

Reply #699129 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

If Teys averages 24 in the SA premier league, that says a lot about the league and its comparisons to other state leagues.

Reply #699130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is some very unwarranted hate flying around this site. Hopefully you understand the next time someone critiques what you do.
Teys is a role player and a leader, every team needs one. Similar to Hire at Perth. Not every player needs to be a stud, it usually ruins the chemistry and balance of a team when there are too many weapons anyway.

Sheesh.

Reply #699135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone: Greg Hire was the worst resigning of the offseason

Adleaide: Hold my beer

Reply #699136 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

butwhy.gif

Reply #699138 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Damn.

I think that says a lot more about the standard of the SA league than Teys, Isaac. This is pretty much a waste of a roster spot something we couldn't afford with the loss of Creek.

So McVeigh basically replaces Creek, Frolling replaces Hodgson, Wiley replaces Childress and the rumoured Deleon replaces Shorter.

Long season ahead.

Reply #699144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's awesome to be able to resign with the 36ers. It's a club that I’ve been a part of since I started in the league"

Huh? You started in the league with Gold Coast, Brendan. Bad memory?

Reply #699146 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He started with Brisbane actually then Gold Coast then Townsville before coming here.

Reply #699147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, I know. He never recoreded a game with T'ville though. Weird comment since he by now means possible started at Sixers lol

Reply #699149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apart from that one season at Townsville, he has been joined to the hip with Joey. Funny that the one season Joey was out of the league Teys doesn't get a single game with his team.

Reply #699150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ valid point!

Reply #699153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek, a player infinity times better, only averaged 5ppg more than Teys last year.

Reply #699155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So? Creek did much more than score.

Reply #699158 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Zodiac is spot on the 4 ins look worse than the 4 outs and Teys is Teys.
If Adelaide make playoffs I will be surprised.

Reply #699161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4 outs are worse than the 4 ins, true, but I think Adelaide are banking on growth from Deng and Drmic, while Sobey has the potential to boom again, especially if he is handling the ball more this season. McVeigh and Froling as well are interesting young bigs. The Teys signing... who cares. If he brings leadership off the court, great. He figures to be at most 5-10 mins a game off the bench on the wings, and you could do worse.

Reply #699165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's wait until the last import is signed before we say if the 6ers will be around the mark or not.
Hopefully we find out who soon

Reply #699166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This happens every year, everyone whinges about how Adelaide recruited badly in offseason and wont make playoffs, Teys is past it, need a gun point guard etc. Then they make playoffs. Yawn, next is Adelaide loses a couple of games early and everyone calls for Joey to be sacked.

Reply #699170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Teys averages 24/0/0.

Reply #699172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teys being the captain says more about the quality of the people that make up Adelaide's team that someone so bad is the only choice left to be their leader.

Reply #699196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A thug who takes out DP's as a captain, good choice Adelaide

Reply #699198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wahhh

Reply #699199 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I may be in the minority but I am happy Teys is back.

He is a locker room leader.
He is a decent defender with basketball IQ.
If he is left open he can and will nail the three.

He is not flashy like Randle, he is not full of bravado like Sobey, he goes about his business. Even when he is not getting minutes he is behing his team 100%, that to me says a lot about him as a team first guy. Every team needs some team first guys.

Reply #699210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I completely agree with that LoveBroker. It's all about balance. And yes, he did draw a dirty foul on a DP but it was out of character. He's also not the only basketball player to have ever done that. I'm sure he'll be the first to take ownership.

Reply #699212 | Report this post

BobnCat  
Years ago

Nice going LoveBroker, I'm with you. Every team has its studs and then you need the role players, which Teys does really well. Nothing wrong with this signing, apart from maybe Samuel Johns being given a go!

Reply #699220 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I don't have a lot of faith in this Sixers line up, and we're going to need a lot out of our rookies to make anything happen. I don't see why we had to pick up two useless duds in Doyle and Teys. Couldn't we have taken a punt on someone who cost the same but has bigger upside for at least one of those spots? People complain about import quotas rising, saying quality Aussies wont get jobs. Well for as long as Greg Hire, Teys, Doyle and Kevin White are in the league, I think it's fair to say we could use another import.

I'm also sick of hearing about his "locker room presence" as well. I mean what exactly is it that he's doing in those locker rooms that is so good that no one can get rid of him?

Reply #699228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*eyerolls at ME*

Reply #699233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth has its fixed scrub in Hire and Adelaide has this guy

Reply #699237 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

@ME.

I cannot say to you Teys' locker room presence is worth N points a game or X wins a season. It cannot be quantified.

But there is enough discussion about positive locker room influences that I believe that it has an effect on the team and Teys is one of those who can do that.

Positive locker room influences can come in many different forms :

- Some players don't respond well to coaches barking at them, someone like Teys could take them aside and talk to them at their level as a peer. A positive.
- Some players may have issues going on like a slump, someone like Teys could be there to offer support rather than everyone keeps quiet as the player slowly slides down the bench.

Teys is normally that cool head that is respected by the team so they are more likely to listen to him, especially given Teys and Wright are close.

Greg Hire is brought up often and is another great example.

You would think on stats alone a club driven by winning would keep him on? For what? He is not a prolific scorer or shutdown defender. I believe the Wildcats see some value in having Hire there as a positive influence to the other players, especially someone like Greg who has cred as a respected member of society as well (citing his social work and I think community awards).

Reply #699238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But the point is those are are all subjective points re: Teys. Basically it could be he is just Joey's "teacher's pet" so to speak and nothing more. We don't know the truth.

Reply #699240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no Deleon numpties. Just wait for the announcement. All yoy keyboard flogs say that about adelaide every year and always get embarrassed. Flogs.

Reply #699244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually I know some of the guys and they all love Teys. Joey loves him too.... soooo I guess there's a reason for all this.

Reply #699245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is he in love with him?

Reply #699246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lbs right. Teys and Wright are like Weigh and Fearne. Poor to average player who gets what the coach is about and talks it into players when the coach isn't around.

Reply #699251 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Embarrassed every year.
Adelaide haven't won since 2002.

Reply #699255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers have money issues clearly. Doyle and Teys would be paying $10 to suit up each game.

Reply #699257 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

I have never understood all this crap about Locker Room Influence, when it's used to defend somebody who is basically useless?
I reckon in any workplace, the most annoying prat, is the guying trying to gee-up others when he's an incompetent dill himself.
Translate that to a locker room, I don't see people giving much credence to a scrub who doesn't deserve to be on the team.

I'm not happy with Greg Hire. He was once a good role player off the bench. If he can recapture some of that, great, if not I expect a resignation.

Is there any potential upside to Teys? Can't say I follow Adelaide closely enough to comment.

Reply #699259 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Nice to see that the one with the eye roll didn't really have a point to make or a capacity to debate it.

Either way, yes, the guy is paid to be the teacher's pet. If he had a single tangible thing he could do on the court I'd have no problem with it, but he has literally no upside in the NBL.

And I wouldn't mind having Teys there so much if we didn't also have Doyle. That is two players that no one else in the league would bother with that we're lumbered with because Joey has special feelings for them. I can deal with one, two is stretching it, especially after losing two of our best players in Creek and Childress.

I don't see them making the playoffs at this point.

Reply #699268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually I didn't need to because LoveBroker got to it before I had an opportunity to. And it's abundantly clear you don't know anything real about basketball so it would be a complete waste of time. If you did, you wouldn't be blabbering on like you have been.
Also, if you really think the coach really is "talking the players into it" then you're crazy. Players don't get talked into liking another team mate. They do actually have their own brains.
Yes, it's also clear they have money issues. Otherwise Childress would be back.

Reply #699270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doyle is the bigger joke. Doyle+Teys taking up two spots is ridiculous.

Reply #699275 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I don't think it is so much "money issues" as to why Childress isn't returning...it's the result of a number of factors from what I am hearing - which make sense.

Reply #699281 | Report this post

KB  
Years ago

Tornado off the mark. Some big news coming out of Findon soon.

Reply #699282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KB... sobey running the point and Childress back?

Reply #699284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Johnson/Froling
Wiley/Deng
Childress/McVeigh
Sobey/Drmic
Moore/Doyle/Teys

Reply #699287 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

KB...off the mark in terms of money or other?

Reply #699289 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

Lovebroker
Well written Finally someone here that is not a keyboard warrior full of hate.
#letsgosixers

Reply #699291 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

If Teys will be "that guy", why have Doyle? Another undersized guard who's only value is "locker room" and "glue guy".

Reply #699294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The trouble with Teys 2018 vs Teys 2017 is that he is far more likely to be required to give minutes on court in 2018 with the personnel changes.

Reply #699314 | Report this post

Wyatt Earp  
Years ago

OMG
the sixers are stacking their team with Forestville players
I hope they don't try to bend the rules to get them qualified lol

Reply #699327 | Report this post

KB  
Years ago

People see to miss the need for an NBL team to comply with the bench cost rule. These signings usually revolve around character and budget. You need guys happy to be on the bench and play spot minutes without disrupting the core 8 rotation.

Reply #699328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ This. Totally agree.
So Childress isn't back. I took your comment to mean he was.

Reply #699329 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

KB...not sure how that fits with my comment and in what way it was off the mark?

Reply #699332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

According to boti the pg will be an ex nbl pg who played for another team...

Reply #699503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kevin Dillard

Reply #699504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doubt it. Dillard signed in Italy

Reply #699505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sosa

Reply #699507 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Edgar "contested 3" Sosa is also my guess.

Reply #699509 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Pretty certain its Deleon....

Reply #699528 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Hope you're right Dave.

Reply #699538 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Pretty sure it isn't Deleon...

Reply #699548 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Please......not Deleon.

Reply #699574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would laugh if this rumor only started because someone misheard Dillard

but seriously, Rotnei Clarke? Seems a little more within Adelaide's price range and clearly not getting another year at Illiwarra

Reply #699579 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

I genuinely hope I'm wrong. There isn't much that would make me happier...

Reply #699603 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

I did think that something big was on the cards or it was just a stir up by people in the know but i guess we'll all know when it's announced. I don't doubt that money might be tight but Deleon is just a beyond bizzare option IMO.

The only reason being that Adelaide's off season has gone from hoping to bring back Childress, targeting Motum, as well as adding a guard import and that was before they lost creek and maybe even before Hodgson was cut? That was all from Boti too & not just say so on here. Where has that money suddenly gone then?.

Makes no difference to the outcome I know, but bizzare situation if Deleon is true. My feeling is that it isn't, but I don't know.

Reply #699608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dave I think you got punk'd bro.

Reply #699609 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Give me Shannon Shorter anyday if the announcement if Deleon.

Reply #699612 | Report this post

KB  
Years ago

It's Deleon

His numbers were not horrible last time here and on his night is pound for pound equal to Randle. But you dot get Randle every night. He will pass the ball to the right guys. His D will get him by without being a lockdown defender.

16/4/3 across 58 games between Hawks and GC. His age will be telling and fingers crossed its not Ebi 2.0

Reply #699613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hmmm did he even play last season? Still seems odd. Although Joey likes rehashing guys.

Reply #699614 | Report this post

KB  
Years ago

Last played in the 12/13 season Hawks finished 3rd that season. Adris came off the bench and won the 6th man of the year award

Reply #699615 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Deleon was a talented player, i don't think anyone doubts that.And could be an exellent compliment to the right balance, but you just feel like he's from an era that's that's done. He's suddenly not a big deal. It's almost like Joey calling in a favour when you could go for the next college diamond in the rough or something.

Seems strange that Adelaide didn't go with two imports than KB? Could be a perfect opportunity to see how Sobey goes and then reassess from there with the idea of a discounted player to fill a gap or take over if he's struggling.

Reply #699616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was referring to the fact on wiki it has him paying in 16-17 in Puerto Rico but not 17-18 although how accurate that is I don't know.

Edit: Wiki is out dated and useless, Eurobasket had him playing for Metros de Santiago in the Dominican Republic in 17-18.

Reply #699617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reading more info in Spanish now since not much in English.

He holds the scoring record of 54 points in a game in the Dominican Republic's LNB.

So question marks over the league he has been playing in.

Reply #699618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also this league seems to be a short one in terms of season length, i.e. May-August. It looks like it is ending soon with their Grand Final series (DeLeon's team isn't in it) so since the league hasn't ended yet Sixers can't sign him which makes sense with all this speculation yet no signing yet.

Reply #699619 | Report this post

KB  
Years ago

Personally I would like to see the Moore/ Sobey combo in play and I think that is what we will see.

Deleon off the bench as a spark plug could work in patches and keep his minutes down.

Starters I see

Sobey
Moore
Deng
Wiley
Johnson

Bench

Deleon
Drmic
McVeigh
Froling
Teys

I think Doyle may get lost out of the group with McVeigh playing ahead of him due to his size and versatility.

The key for the 36ers group will be the hoped continued progression of Deng and Drmic. If they can combine for a regular 12 plus a game each up from their combined 14 then that will plug the Creek hole to a large degree.

Reply #699620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why have a 35yo Childress when you can havea34yo Deleon.

Reply #699621 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

I also want to see Sobey run the point.

I think you're spot on about Deng & Drmic. It's easy to forget that we have so many players capable of break out years. Should be a fun team.

KB, am i right in saying that Adelaide have had to lower their expectations during the off season because of financial reasons? They seemed to be talking up a relatively aggressive approach and that was even before Creek departed. If so, what's happened financially? And why does this seem to happen after a succesful season in which crowds were up and we played out finals. I mean, i remember the first season Joey took over, they needed to take a step back in spending after making the grand final. Why is that?

Reply #699622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because the new owner is connected to LK, not really independent. LK obviously cutting back?

Reply #699630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it is Deleon I'm asking for my money back!

Reply #699631 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

The starting 5 is very much playoff quality.

I am concerned about the bench.

If I were brutally honest with myself the Sixers are really 7 deep + Teys. Injuries will be a big risk.

Is there any evidence that the club is looking to be less aggressive financially? Or it is from circumstantial evidence eg. cheaper imports like Deleon?

Reply #699632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Significant increase in your season membership and then proceed to trot out a much crappier product, leaves a bit of a sour taste in ones mouth.

Reply #699635 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Because the new owner is connected to LK, not really independent. LK obviously cutting back?
This has been alluded to a few times in connection with both Adelaide and Illawarra, and I don't get it. Why do people find it so inconceivable that LK has friends who are capable of thinking for themselves?

Reply #699643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He needed owners in place for those franchises because no one else was interested. There has been talk he contributes to these clubs so the new "owners" aren't out of pocket completely themselves. Think about the Hawks situation - old mate Spencely walks and another owner/mate was found extremely quickly amongst the rumblings of trying to move the club and aligh it to the AFL. Who would touch a franchise like that?

Reply #699661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KR it's not about thinking for themselves but part (at least if not more) of their budgets come from LK himself so obviously this has been reduced if Sixers had to go to DeLeon as an import.

Reply #699665 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Am I still being punked?

Reply #699670 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

part (at least if not more) of their budgets come from LK himself
Feel free to cite a source there.

Reply #699673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dave obviously not but it is a strange signing.

kr it's just speculation. Although it was in the media that LK directly input into the Dome in Adelaide finally getting proper lighting/score cube etc. in the stadium.

Reply #699675 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:10 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754