Anonymous
Years ago

Does anyone rate Adelaide to win title?

Serious question.
I don't I reckon Melbourne will win the chip.

Topic #43917 | Report this topic

Hogwash  
Years ago

I don't.

Reply #705043 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Not if Vaughn Mayberry is still a ref ha ha!

Reply #705044 | Report this post

EYW  
Years ago

Adelaide should be faves. They look far above the rest of the teams, so devastating at the rim. Embarrased Bogut who is just too old and too slow. Kings are a retirement home.

Reply #705047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne again easy.

Reply #705049 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Cairns will win it all.

And by Cairns, I mean NZ.

And by NZ I mean Melbourne.

And by Melbourne I mean Sydney.

Reply #705050 | Report this post

well they have the best coach in the league so for sure

Reply #705060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns once Outback Shaq is fit!

Reply #705072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They'll need a few MIP candidates to make up for Creeks loss. If Drmic and Deng step up scoring wise and Sobey has consistent MVP season then there's a good chance. Not at all sold on Kings, how many times have big name players been wheeled out in twilight of career and the team struggled.

Reply #705075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide should be up there, Sydney will need no injuries to there top 6-7 or there done, Melbourne looked very disjointed and will need Boone to stay healthy, nz, cairns and Brisbane will cause upsets but not make finals. Illawarra will surprise and could make semi finals. Perth will make finals. Any of 5 teams are a chance.

Reply #705084 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Melb & Sydney clear faves.

Adelaide could cause some problems but in the end talent wins

Reply #705108 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Might be in the mix. Seems like Wiley is handy, and the rest are known factors which is worth a bit in the league.

Reply #705114 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Not without personnel changes, no. Wiley is a fantastic pick up but outside of that we don't have anyone that can replace Chilly or Creek. And I know that when you lose great players you have to play a different style, but while other teams have retooled and got better, we may be the one team in the league that got worse on paper. Talent does tend to win the day.

And while Ramone Moore was a great pick up for third string import last year, he isn't quite so great when you consider that he's going to have to be a starter level player now. You don't have Childress and Creek so his shoes are much bigger to fill. And then you bring in Deleon who is basically a chucker. Yes, he will have the occasional game that works for him but more often than not it wont. And when defenses figure him out, that will put paid to his offense in this league because he's a bit of a one-trick pony.

Adelaide will put themselves in the mix, may surprise and get to the playoffs, but I think the title is a bridge too far this season.

Right now I think Melbourne have to be the favorites, followed by Sydney, Perth and dare I say, Illawarra? The reemergence of Anderson's offense and Cedric Jackson showing his old tricks suddenly makes them a proposition to do something.

Reply #705117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think they will be as bad as first predicted.. but probably not grand finals bound or probably not even finals.
Drmic early contender for most improved though.. as much as that sucks lol

Reply #705122 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Talent does tend to win the day."

Talent is obviously important, but great teams generally win the day. Often, players who make up those great teams become known as talented players because they execute a role in a good team well.

Reply #705132 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

A lot depends on players being able to take leaps in form and confidence as they develop. Joey Wright has been great with developing his younger blokes and backing them in. Looking forward to seeing how they go this year.

Reply #705135 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Doesn't Wiley effectively replace one of Childress or Creek? Similar position and not crazily different style?

36ers tempo hasn't changed much. Their three game scores were 98, 108, 97.

DeLeon's shooting over three games: 2/5, 9/12, 4/11 (with 7/7 FT). Not bad for a guard.

They could be interesting.

Reply #705140 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

36ers could replace an import at some stage.

Randle and Childress both arrived mid season.

Johnson is a quality Aussie. Sobey is decent. If Deng steps up as most of us think he could, then possibilities start opening up for this team.

Even without Creek they've got a group who's together for 3rd year in a row.

You can't count them out

Reply #705426 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

In terms of title chances with current roster though and without any import changes, you'd have to say unlikely.

It would rely on someone - or several players- significantly increasing their output on last season, and the two new imports being better than most of us here are expecting- especially Deleon.

That would be enough to put them right in the mix.

Possible of course, but highly unlikely.

Reply #705444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good joke

Reply #705554 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

I think they would be up against it to go all the way, but as I said before, I certainly rate them a finals prospect.

Reply #705596 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I think they've got a chance. Wiley is looking like he could be as good as Childress, DeLeon seems to be a better shooter and better off the dribble than Shorter and Drmic has the potential to give the Sixers better scoring than Creek and almost as much hustle. Deng looks ready to improve and have a more consistent impact than last season too. It's certainly possible that this team will be better than last season's edition and if they do that, then I think they have a shot at the title.

Reply #705604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they keep averaging 50 free throw attempts a game anything can happen.

Reply #705619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a hope in hell. Currently paying $15. 6'ers were last now the Hawks are.

Reply #705622 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I hope they do average 50 free throws a game. It will mean teams are struggling even more than previously to defend against their game style. And the refs aren't scared to call too many fouls on bad defence just to keep the foul count down and please opposition fans.

Reply #705734 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:51 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754