Manu Fieldel
Years ago

Hypothetical: Could Damian Martin have played NBA?

Say for argument's sake Martin was a sniper with a quick-release jumper, do we think he would have made an NBA roster?

I think yes quite frankly.

Topic #43944 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has Manu got nothing better to do than start another "Perth vs everyone else" thread?

Reply #705989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great athlete and leader.
Super competitor.
Courageous to a fault.
Needed an outside shot.

Reply #706010 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

So if Damien Martin was a different player, could he make NBA, basically? lol.

Well, he reminds me of Chris Goulding, in that one part of his game is NBA standard and the rest isn't. Chris Goulding is NBA level offensively and nothing else, and Damien Martin is NBA level defensively and nothing else. But if we're talking about them as their skill sets stand, neither could make the NBA.

Reply #706017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What if he was 7 3 if we're gonna play the whatif game.

Reply #706018 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Gotta be honest.
I think having Martin on your bench, could be an interesting strategic option, if you wanted to shut down an opposing guard who was ripping you apart. But doubt he could play big minutes due to lack of offense.

And would that warrant a spot on the roster? Probably not.

Reply #706020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great player but the calls in the nba he'd be sitting on the bench in foul trouble within 5 minutes.

Reply #706027 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

He's not an NBA level defender, period, forget about the "what if" he could shoot. Tenacity and will power on defense can only cover for so much when it comes to his lack of length and athleticism.

Credit where credit is due, in the NBL he's one of the best defenders we've ever seen, and if he's a 5 out of 10 physically and athletically and his opponents are maybe a 7, he can cover them, but the NBA guards are all 9s and 10s, and that's a gap too large for even his determination to cover.

Reply #706034 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Goulding is only an NBA level shooter. He's got NOTHING as a playmaker

Reply #706037 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

If he were more athletic, a better ball handler, playmaker and scorer AND was a sniper with a quick-release jumper, then yes, he probably could have.

Reply #706048 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

Obviously not. Jazz 130 v Wildcats 72. Ouch.

Reply #706056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hypothetically if I was a LeBron James clone could i play NBA?

Reply #706058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Adam Doyle was Steph Curry could he play in the NBA???

Reply #706066 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

LOL @jumpshot Damien Martin didn't even play in the Jazz game

Reply #706088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WTF do we do this shit. Do you do online 'fantasy' stuff too???

Reply #706128 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

In a word: NO

Reply #706135 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Haha, very aggressive responses to a legitimate hypothetical. Weird af behaviour

Reply #706136 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

A hypothetical player who was Chris Goulding on offense and Damian Martin defensively, could've been an NBA starter. Martin is a stud defender and CG is one of the few NBL players who has legitimate NBA 3 point range on his jumpshot.

Having said that, Goulding's defense improved last season. He's a more well rounded player than he used to be. But he has lost a touch of his agility- which was never remarkable to begin with- so any NBA prospects are long behind him. But he should remain a quality NBL player for years to come.

Reply #706143 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"and if he's a 5 out of 10 physically and athletically and his opponents are maybe a 7, he can cover them"

Damo in his prime was way above a 5/10 physically. His speed, anticipation, strength and long arms made him world class. Re whether he could play NBA, his shot aside his ball-handler and ability to run an on-ball were never at that level.

Reply #706146 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I coulda been an NBA player if I was a foot taller*

*and if I had about 50% more athleticism, 100% more talent and 1000% more work ethic. Aside from all that though, I reckon I'd be fine.

Reply #706151 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

LOL @jumpshot Damien Martin didn't even play in the Jazz game"

I know, and the guy 10 times better than him, Cotton, looks SH#t.

Reply #706154 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Always puzzles me that a guy like Martin couldn't shoot. He went to the AIS for a year and had 4 years of college.

I mean you'd think that environment (Especially the AIS alone) for a PG would make him a decent shooter..500 shots a day surely? with expert coaches being able to fix/re-fix mechanics?

Reply #706167 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Some players just don't have it. Shaq had some of the best shooting coaches in the world working with him and, while at times it helped him shoot a bit better, he was never able to keep it going. And thats just free throws.

Reply #706198 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Martin's worked hard, as shown by the fact a poor natural shooter can have seasons shooting in the mid-high 40s from 3p land - which he does almost every year Perth win the title - but someone who it doesn't come naturally for is always going to struggle with contested shots.

Reply #706229 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

My Initial thoughts were no but with Delly making it, I think he would be a great training player (think of a young superstar point guard going at him day after day, there is no way that the superstar wouldn't improve going against Damo's tenacity day after day) and as a 11th, 12th man on a roster I think he'd have a good decent (Sean Marks type) career.

Would having this career mean he'd make more Boomers teams?

Reply #706279 | Report this post

Classified  
Two years ago

Possibly could've in his prime

Reply #884589 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:08 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754