Anonymous
Years ago

Does the league need to step in and bail out the Hawks?

I have given up wondering what ever became of the luxury tax, and whether or not it is or isn't distributed. Until such time as official announcements are made, its pointless speculating.
Likewise I don't really care if the Hawks owner is Larry's Mate, BFF, or whatever.

It has been clear from the start that they tried to build a team by trawling through the world's bargain bins.
It's now clear that it hasn't worked.

Unless the plan is to fold the Hawks, the league needs to act.

Topic #44049 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Friday night they push United to 4OT's. Maybe get a brain.

Reply #708622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United are not as good as last season so that was fools gold game

Reply #708625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Season opener - they couldn't even pull a crowd of 3000 against last season champs.

I think the league can bail them out by kicking them out of the league and give their license to a city that will appreciate them

Reply #708626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame there was no one there to support that great game. Less than 2000 is what I heard despite the NBL saying there was almost 3000. The NBL won't be wanting to help out the Hawks or the Taipans that's for sure.

Reply #708627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Perth are that good, Illawarra probably should've won on Friday night.

Reply #708629 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Results on the court aren't the problem. They almost beat Melbourne in an epic battle and then were too tired to truly mount a fight against Perth.

The problem is attendance. Wollongong are not turning up and haven't for a few years now. They've been bailed out before and they have had community groups bail them out. But I can see them going the way of Townsville.

Oh yes, the general public will care if you tell them the team might fall. They'll raise some money and try to keep it. But that wont equal sustainability, and wont equal asses on seats.

If Wollongong dies, they die. It is not up to the league to keep them alive. They've had more than enough chances. The ball is in their court. And if they die, give the license to Tasmania.

Reply #708632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HAWKS stadium looked empty ! Can't imagine how many actual paying tickets were sold. If that opening night attendance is anything to go by Wollongong better hope their owner has deep pockets

Reply #708635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What city do you want to give their licence too? If it's anyone that has already folded forget it.

Reply #708636 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Hawks are going to struggle with the double headers because of their lack of depth up front.

They definitely were flat against Perth today with is understandable after the 4 OT game on Friday.

Just look at Melbourne today they were flat too.

Also I wouldn't read too much into this round with all the travelling the the USA etc.

Next round everyone will have had a weeks rest at home and well adjusted back to the timezone.

Reply #708637 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

If they have cash, they could go after a big fish who recently got waived by an NBA side. That'd make them a serious prospect imo, because Conklin is still really good and Jett is a low-key stud.

If Jackson is to be cut, if do it now. Bite the bullet. If not now, don't even bother

Reply #708641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the Hawks had money is something that has been said for seasons. They don't

Reply #708646 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Move Illawarra to Tas ;)

Reply #708654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane will need bailing out soon too.

Reply #708655 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

When the league expands and there is in my opinion at least another team to join Perth, Melbourne and Sydney as legitimate powerhouses, then we may see the Hawks have no choice but to exit unless they can address their poor attendances and shoe string budget.

As it stands now with only 8 teams (9th coming next year) its in the league's best interest to keep them in the comp. If nothing else they are there to make up the numbers, and the perception that the league is stable (folding would look bad). At least until theres some expansion.

Reply #708659 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Umm, Illawarra didn't travel to America. Perth did.

If you can't back up enough to play a 2nd game within a weekend, then you're screwed in the NBL.

And they weren't just flat against Perth, they had nothing. It was a massacre.
and it's no as though this would be unexpected. Perth stole their two best players, and they've been unable to effectively replace them.

This is reflected in the abysmal crowd support. Its sad that their community won't turn out in support. But the one thing I know sure to not improve that is recruiting el cheapo crabs.

And I'm sorry, but in what freakin universe is Jett a "stud"? The guy is so fat he waddles.
He can shoot, that's true, but he needs to find a league with a 30 second shot clock so he has long enough to waddle into position.

Reply #708679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ummm Dazz Perth traveled to the US.

Reply #708683 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Clearly Dazz didn't watch the game in Illawarra.

Can we just not massively overreact to one game, positively or negatively? Is that at all possible? Two days ago Illawarra were contenders, now we're kicking them out of the league, FFS.

Reply #708692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The over reaction is stupid considering Hawks have been getting thumped in Perth since forever. Despite totally different ownership and players they never show up out west. They would be by far the worst performing team in Perth.

Reply #708697 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That too. The last time they got beat by 40 in Perth, they went on to make the playoffs.

Reply #708698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They had talent then.

Reply #708709 | Report this post

michael crumpler  
Years ago

Hawks will be fine donut worry about them

Earlu days my firends , only round 1 of the nbl

every one needs to chill and enjoy the game

just got to make top 4

Reply #708714 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

A massive overraction for sure, but ME/Ivan Drago makes a pretty solid point in that what SHOULD be a concern is the attendance to their first home game against the reigning champs... That number is NOT good enough and is continuing the poor attendance trend and I can seriously see them going down Townsville's path, which would be a disappointment, both as an opposing fan and a fan of NBL in general...

Reply #708717 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

I dont think anybody calling for the Hawks to be thrown out is because of a 40 point loss to Perth. That isnt the issue at all. Its the fact they consistently, game after game, that they fail to get anywhere near 3000 people showing up to support them.

It would be unfair to expect them to pack out their venue each week with the up and down squads that they get each year due to a shoe string budget, but it would be reasonable to expect on various occasions (such as their season opener against the champs on a Friday night) to at least draw 3500 to games like that.

Over the last 10 years, which has included a few grand final appearances, how many games did the Hawks get over 3000? And even that is a very low base to start from.

Its not an overreaction. Its a genuine concern for a club that has for so long now been unable to gather a respectable level of support.

Reply #708721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The league probably needs to step in and tell the club that they are playing in a professional league, and having some of their fans spending all game noticeably screaming at opponents and getting in their faces is probably a turn off to other potential fans, sponsors and the viewing public.

Reply #708724 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Hawks shouldn't be part of the NBL....the market is to small.

Get the second melb team in and another NZ team then get rid of the hawks!

Reply #708725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let the Huskies buy the licence and move it to a city that will support their own team. Clearly like Townsville the locals don't care.

Reply #708740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe the ticket prices have come down this season which is good and might not be known by the public

Reply #708744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks 1979-present, 40 years in the NBL. The only original club left. Take that capital city haters!

Reply #708749 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

It would be unfortunate if the league loses its only original team, ideally keep the hawks name and share games with Canberra. Obviously base all staff in one place. Its only a 2.5 hr drive and 8 games a year in each place may actually mean theres a greater turnout. Southern Sydney has a good basketball history in St George region and the red n white NRL team shares those two homes but theres no basketball stadiums big enough in sydney outside of homebush.

Reply #708752 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

History doesn't really mean much if it isn't working! Times change and the league is clearly going in a more corporate direction pushing hard for increased attendance and sponship.

Hawks look like they've been left behind but without a viable alternative they'll survive.

Reply #708754 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

A shame the Hawks aren't doing well but the NBL can't be expected to prop them up forever.

Reply #708757 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

What to do with the only original team left in the league? Sure just kick them out. Who cares hey? LK has already shown that history means nothing to him.

Make no mistake, the Hawks are not alone in making no money out of the current model. The only difference is they don't have someone willing to shell out for the short fall.

If the league was doing as well as everyone suggests, this wouldn't be an issue. But again, its all a show.

Reply #708767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah send them to Canberra where the Gunners had no crowd and no wins. 0 -24.

Reply #708768 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I don't want the Hawks to go.

They are a team with a proud tradition and often punching above their weight, their presence in the league is generally a good thing.

However, if their fan base continue to show a little regard for supporting their team, and the team is in a constant state of loss with half empty stadiums, it might be better for the league to let the Hawks go.

The league cannot continue to prop them up if they are not willing to do the hard yards to promote themselves. It's not that hard to fill such a small stadium.

Reply #708806 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"What to do with the only original team left in the league? Sure just kick them out. Who cares hey? LK has already shown that history means nothing to him. "

So the league should continue to prop them up forever, because history?

"Make no mistake, the Hawks are not alone in making no money out of the current model. The only difference is they don't have someone willing to shell out for the short fall. "

Another difference... FANS ARE NOT TURNING UP TO THE GAMES. The Hawks fans have some blame here. If you're not going to turn up to games don't expect a team and don't expect some investor to see the potential in investing in something that no one seems to care about.

Illawarra fans are like the kid with the toy who only cares about the toy when they see another kid play with it. You wont bother going to games, but be damned if anyone will take your precious Hawks away. Either put your money where your mouth is or stop holding the league back.

Reply #708809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz = the gift that keeps on giving

Who knows if he is even around? But it doesn't matter because KR thinks everyone is Dazz. LOL

Do you think he wakes at night calling Dazzs name?

Reply #708829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It doesn't matter if the Hawks win the championship every year if their fans don't support them. The NBL is a business and as such it doesn't make sense to keep propping teams up forever. Maybe if LK gave the Hawks a timeline e.g. 2-3 years to be viable or you will be relocated or removed from the league then it might rally the community. When Clay Bennett moved the Seattle Supersonics they were one of the worst attended teams in the league which is why it made sense to move them, but when the move came and ever since theres been a push for a team to relocate back to Seattle or an expansion team to be placed there.

Reply #708840 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

That's a possible alternative.

Shut down Illawarra.

Allow them to make a case for a return to the NBL years later.

Other examples.

Sydney.
Brisbane.

Reply #708841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still around ;-)

Reply #708852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess the point is whether you can have a sustainable team in Wollongong? However that money comes in.
I'd suggest they need to do both. Inject some cash to get them some talent, AND put the hard word on fans. Turn up, or say goodbye.

Reply #708854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've been to Wollongong for away games. The fans all admitted to me they only come out for finals and not interested in season memberships. What can you do?

Reply #708869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the fans told you that did they?

Reply #708948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The League never helped them the other 2 or 3 times they were about to fold. LK owns enough teams as it is ;)

Reply #708951 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"All the fans told you that did they?"

No. The rest weren't there because they were waiting on the finals games.

Reply #708952 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

If the fans are only interested in attending finals why bother.

Reply #708960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trust me, they admitted being bandwagoners. It may be a NSW issue, i.e. poor NRL crowds, low crowds even when Kings three-peated under Goorjian.

Reply #708969 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

They don't deserve a team.
Get SE Melb and Tasmania in would still have 9 teams.
Sydney remove Gazeand replace him with Bevo.

Reply #708972 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Sydney remove Gazeand replace him with Bevo.

Sorry but I really like Gaze at Sydney, they just go so well together with JVG to boot.

Reply #709021 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Is it silly to suggest that the Illawarra Hawks drop only the Illawarra bit and re-locate. And, for the hell of it, I am going to put up a case for the NT.

I am not a Territorian but have heard smidges of what happens in Darwin basketball. Apparantly (applies to any and all of the following) they have mini Asian tournies, run some quality basketball festivals etc. Don't know anyth re their local standards but if a team was relocated then several curent players would get to go. What, shift the whole team? Well, the vast majority of most teams' rosters would not be locals either. So not out of the question but I admit, it would be a hurdle but so is staying as Illawarra.

Top reason for me though, is that the NT has no national sporting representation (as far as I know, anyway) so it just may work. The NT "ROCKERS" to honour their iconic Uluru, Crocs is obviously out. Jackaroos? Drovers? nah! Desert Rats (would possibly need RSL appro). A national sports team for NT/Darwin. Or Alice Springs, then we could call then anything from "Wonderland" (possibly where I belong!!?).

Reply #709098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Job going at Hawks - https://au.indeed.com/cmp/SKS-Telecommunications-Pty-Ltd/jobs/Corporate-Sales-Executive-51ebd1e409fabf4d?q=Executive&vjs=3

Reply #709200 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

As a Cats fan, I am pleased that they went out and addressed the weakness in their aging core, and provided a buffer for the future. And they didn't do anything other teams haven't done.
And obviously its a win-win for Kay and Norton.

But how are the Hawks supposed to compete when their players simply get filched because they don't have the money to retain them.

Bevo and even McLeod did well over the years despite being behind the other teams financially, but I fear that now the gap is growing.

Reply #709940 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:53 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754