Anonymous
Years ago

David Wears last game?

Wonder which flight he will be on this week?

Topic #44221 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, I think it's time too. They clearly need more production from that spot.

Reply #714045 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Better be

Reply #714059 | Report this post

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

He was a weird selection to begin with. Why get Daniel Kickert-lite when you already have Daniel Kickert? Get him on a plane and then pick up Casey Prather from the airport. Lord knows that man belongs in this league.

Reply #714060 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

@foodforthought Because JVG doesn't understand basketball

Reply #714063 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

But he thinks he does because he won a title that one time with Groves' money.

Reply #714065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should kept the Sydney boy, Moller. Kid plays defence.

Reply #714066 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"He was a weird selection to begin with"
If you take the decision to persist with Gaze as the baseline, then the decision to recruit Wear looks inspired.

No point shuffling the deckchairs till you get rid of the iceberg

Reply #714075 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Yep

Im glad Kings lost, i want JVG and Gaze fired

Sick of Gazes coaching and JVGs roster selection, both incompetent

Reply #714077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JVG has done well enough this season with the roster.

Getting Bogut, Lisch, Randle and Newley as the starters is great. Kickert very effective off the bench. I think Bowen can become better as the season progresses.

Wear is a dud but that's one minor blip that will likely be rectified.

Reply #714079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne may be the only team who will trouble Sydney.. lol

Reply #714080 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Get him on a plane and then pick up Casey Prather from the airport. Lord knows that man belongs in this league.
Prather has both an injury and a contract elsewhere.

Reply #714083 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Lmao at Koberulz.

Reply #714088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather is the last person Sydney want as well, they need defenders not scorers, they've got plenty of them. The team is unbalanced and the bench is worse.

Reply #714093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather not a defender??

Reply #714103 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Prather defends, but what they need is an athletic, physical PF who defends, rebounds and finishes other people's plays at the rim. That's the missing piece in their roster.

Reply #714106 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

It's not even 100% his fault, but yes, he has to go and has for a while... He tries, but we don't give participation medals and his shot selection alone is enough to bench him most games...

He shouldn't have been hired in the first place and just isn't the right fit and while he's not the biggest problem holding them back *cough* Gaze *cough* getting that 2nd import spot right would really help, especially when you look at the team on the floor when Bogues is resting...

Reply #714107 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"He was a weird selection to begin with. Why get Daniel Kickert-lite when you already have Daniel Kickert?"

He was Daniel Kickert but without the shooting ability.

So in essence, he was Daniel Kickert minus the one ability that makes Kickert productive.

Reply #714111 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Kings should sack Wear, JVG, Gaze in one go, if they want to be more than a fringe playoff team.

Reply #714121 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

It would not surprise me if they've made inquiries on Creek.

I haven't heard anything official that would lead me to say that, but I'm sure the question has been posed in some capacity in Kings land.

Reply #714125 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Wouldn't mind seeing a lineup of
Randle*, Adnam
Lisch, Wilson
Newley, Bowen(next star*)
Import*, Kickert, Deng
Bogut, Pineau, Acouth.

If they then decided to utilize remaining import spot later they could take Acouth out and bring in an import 2/3.

I suspect that like Perth they will hold the import spot in case of injury.

Reply #714126 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

As it stands, the Kings don't even need to replace Wear to be better off. Let Kickert take some of Wear's minutes and then give the rest of Wear's minutes to Bowen slightly out of position.

Reply #714131 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Hard to argue with that! Not sure they're a championship team without a PF who can defend though.

Reply #714136 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I continue to hope Kings keep Wear, Gaze and JVG for the longest term possible. It's good for the rest of the league.

Reply #714150 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Please clarify this for me regarding import spots.

Why would Acouth need to be released if they need a replacement for an injured import? Could they not just replace the injured import [ala the Prather/Felix move]? Why drop a local.

Is it that you can only have 3 imports rather than play 3 imports? But, once again, is this not exactly what Melb did?

Reply #714160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO one is going anywear ;)

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/improving-players-not-cutting-them-key-to-the-kings-gaze-20181106-p50e91.html

Reply #714171 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

^ oh, so it's gonna be a coach replacement, not a player replacement then hey

Reply #714174 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Is that like getting the full endorsement of management? So he'll be gone by the weekend?

Reply #714180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They will never sack Gaze. Season is another bust. 3 years wasted. JVG is the problem. Unless Lister or Bogut who may own 50% of the Kings soon do something the Kings are fucked.

Reply #714199 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

They need an athletic big who can rebound and protect the rim.

They're missing muscle, rebounding and presence when Bogut is off.

Getting rid of Wear and taking a week or two for the new import to arrive might also present an opportunity for Newley to re-invent himself by playing more time at the 4. He's been really disappointing this season.

Reply #714293 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Just to add to my comment, it was so obvious that United were scared to attack the hoop anytime Bogut was near the ring.

In the third quarter Barlow, Moller, even Boone all made drives and then bailed last second with a pass to the perimeter, instead of trying to finish strong at the rim like they usually would. As soon as Bogut went off, they all started attacking the hoop, including Casper who made two successful drives for the first time all game.

Reply #714294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^
Someone like Greg Whittington or Craig Moller would be good on kings roster, maybe let JVG know.

Reply #714331 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

#Wearishegoing?

Reply #714355 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

Wear is Kicket without the shooting ability. I have to give it to JVG though. He does look like Kicket.

Reply #714356 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Agree with you LV - Newley can cover that spot in a pinch. Lots of guys on their roster getting underplayed.

And the crazy thing is that the roleplayer they need would be pretty common. Doesn't need an outside shot. Doesn't need to be 7' tall. Just athletic and keen on boards and D.

Reply #714383 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

Anyone with close to Jeremy Tyler's talent would be ideal. He was hitting shots all the way out to 20 feet, and was skilled inside. For all the shit he copped around here, he was damn fun to watch, I liked the attitude he showed on court (at least he cared some), and his numbers were there - 14/6, .560 FG. That was in 22 mins a night. Compare that to Wear. A similar skillset/size to Tyler or Powell alongside Bogut would give them 10 fouls to work with also.

Reply #714450 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

IMO, the following quote from LV (no disrespect, LV) only suggests good coaching or on-court thinking.

Quote: "Just to add to my comment, it was so obvious that United were scared to attack the hoop anytime Bogut was near the ring.

In the third quarter Barlow, Moller, even Boone all made drives and then bailed last second with a pass to the perimeter, instead of trying to finish strong at the rim like they usually would. As soon as Bogut went off, they all started attacking the hoop, including Casper who made two successful drives for the first time all game."

Isn't it sensible to play to your strengths and your opponents weaknesses?

Bogut is protecting the paint, better than you (opponent) can attack it. Of course you have to look at another avenue.

Sure, try to strengthen your weaknesses, but not during a game.

Reply #714454 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

and to put this into this threads context, I'd probably look at attacking Wear's position (while you still can, may not be for much longer) instead of Bogut's dominance at the rim.

Back to my previous comment:

You have time to work on beating Bogut. He's going to be around for a while. Take advantage of Wear's weakness now.

If he does last in our league, then you no longer need to beat Bogut, just keep beating Wear Just kidding, trying not to be too serious!

Reply #714455 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Anyone with close to Jeremy Tyler's talent would be ideal. He was hitting shots all the way out to 20 feet, and was skilled inside. For all the shit he copped around here, he was damn fun to watch, I liked the attitude he showed on court (at least he cared some), and his numbers were there - 14/6, .560 FG."

He had talent but didn't defend a lick. I think he had the worse +- in the comp that season, Kings were better the instant they got rid of him even without a replacement unfortunately.

Reply #714468 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

@robt - I think that's what LV was suggesting? I don't think he was saying that they SHOULD have continued to finish at the ring, although Barlow did a couple of times to very humorous results, but moreso that if it was nearly anyone else, they COULD have finished stronger at the ring, but Bogut removed that option completely?

Part of the frustration with both Tyler and Powell was that they were still very talented, and when they were focused and in the game, they were key players, but they more than often weren't... Powell was an especially great guy with fans off the court as well, but just when he got on the court, ugh, awful...

Reply #714505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You guys/gals r a laugh!

Reply #714814 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

So, do people still think he's a bust?

Reply #732461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's been ok but compared to who Melbourne bring in as imports, it’s bust.

Reply #732470 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:32 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754