LC
Years ago

Ben Madgen on a possible return to the NBL

"I am leaving my options open," said Madgen. “South East Melbourne Phoenix have reached out to myself and my management about joining them next season, which is very enticing."

Ben Madgen on a possible return to the NBL and Jock Landale's rising star

Also talks about:

- Playing in Europe
- Post career options for players
- Mitch Creek
- Jock Landale's NBA chances

Topic #44485 | Report this topic

jumpshot  
Years ago

Kings please.

Reply #723399 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Is this guy decrepit or has he aged well?

He'll be 34.5 years old come the start of next season

Reply #723402 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

He lost me at "reached out"

Reply #723408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm kinda over hasbeens coming home from Europe, thinking they're hot shit and we're lucky to have them. By the time most of them come back, having worked their way to the bottom of the pile in Europe, they're either rubbish or monumentally injury prone or both.

Reply #723430 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He's almost 34 can't see there being much interest in him now.

Reply #723433 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Serviceable as a bench shooter maybe.

Reply #723436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Melb don't chase him

Reply #723450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These comments from nobodies who have done nothing in the sporting area or probably in life as well.

Reply #723466 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

34 is a long way off dead. Haven't seen Madgen play even a second of basketball since he wore a Kings jersey, but as a guy who did most of his work off the ball I don't see why he couldn't still be a serviceable player in the NBL at 34.

Would love to see him back in Sydney.

Reply #723469 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He is averaging 15p and 5r in the German league, shooting 40% from 3p and sitting just outside the top 10 scorers in an 18-team comp. He could still definitely be a very solid contributor in the NBL.

Reply #723472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings please. Just need a new Head Coach first. Then a new GM.

Reply #723473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many flops does he average per game in Europe?

Reply #723474 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Seriously, the guy can still play! He certainly has value to add from a leadership perspective, let alone on the court!

Reply #723495 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

He'll be Brad Newley's age - they were born 11 days apart. Newley's doing okay, without tearing the league apart. Madgen is probably a better outside shooter though. So paul and AngusH would be spot on, I reckon.

Asd for thsi post - "I'm kinda over hasbeens coming home from Europe, thinking they're hot shit and we're lucky to have them." - it seems like you haven't read the article, just imposed a pre-existing bias. It's actually an interestign read and he comes across pretty much the opposite in his attitude towards a potential return.

Reply #723499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His German side is running last with only one win.

Reply #723507 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Over/under 1.5 chairs thrown in season 2019/20?

I'll take the over

Reply #723509 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

Bundesliga is one of the best leagues in the world. He would contribute in the NBL next season, no problems.

Reply #723519 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

He could be quite a useful addition to Phoenix being a wise head and bringing order.

He could provide order to the Phoenix and wave some magic off the bench.

Reply #723531 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Aye. Hazza reference alert

Reply #723534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could be a handy weapon off the bench, or make a weapon of a bench

Reply #723543 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agreed FFT, the bottom of the German league is below the level of the NBL, but the top half would slot into the NBL nicely. I haven't looked at his breakdown of performances against good and bad teams, but I'm sure he'd still be a pretty good player here.

Reply #723546 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:01 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754