Food for thought
Years ago

Brett Brown supports the idea of Ben Simmons playing W/Cup

An article has just come out where Brett Brown has said he hopes Ben Simmons plays in the World Cup this year, as well as the Melbourne warm ups. Now, I know that his contract negotiations begin in July, but does the coach have any say in those negotiations at all? It seems to me that if he does, he will try to make things as easy as possible for Ben to join the squad. Does anyone know how that part of it all works?

Here's the article:

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/us-sports/nba/philadelphia-76ers-coach-backs-ben-simmons-to-do-the-job-for-australia-at-the-world-cup/news-story/7c61b9fba3970b18080ba355d8881f76?fbclid=IwAR2dAQeyItzYmfNIEj-BUXo6yRYlj1fWsHK-wTEgSfzWAmtCcV2oWyKTbSM

Topic #44571 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has to say this but it won't be allowed

Reply #725881 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

If Brett and his opinion have no influence on if it will happen or not then great PR there to his adopted country...

Would love to see him in a Boomers jersey again

Reply #725995 | Report this post

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Well, for me, I tend to think Brett would only talk the company line. I feel like the move must have support from higher ups or he wouldn't have gone off the cuff and said it.

Reply #726028 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Brett may be trying to convince his end that they should also allow him "represent" Oz as coach, just to look after Ben, you understand!

Reply #726200 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

It's good to hear Brown supports the idea, but I think it will have minimal influence. It’ll be decided by Sixers ownership, Ben and his agent. I think how he feels physically at the end of the season will be a major factor too. If he’s feeling good, then both team and player may be fine with it. But neither side will want to risk him going into a contract year either injured or worn out from too much ball.

Reply #726217 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:47 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754