LC
Years ago

Patty Mills calls out BA's inability to meet Boomers' needs

The Australian Boomers' concerns about Basketball Australia (BA) appear to be bubbling and rising to the surface.

According to a report from Fox Sports Australia’s Olgun Uluc, Patty Mills spoke out about BA’s need to step up and meet players’ needs, especially the NBA contingent.

"Speaking on Ben's availability on this year," Mills began. “I think, first off, it goes without saying that there's quite a significant gap between the NBA and Basketball Australia... in terms of catering to players' needs, so that we can perform at a high level night in and night out."

Patty Mills calls out Basketball Australia, says there’s a 'significant gap’ between sport’s governing body and the country’s NBA players

And more on it here:

Patty Mills points out Basketball Australia’s inability to meet Boomers needs

You would like to think BA would be leaving no stone unturned to keep our NBA stars happy and in a Boomers uniform.

Topic #44813 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

Where's the funding going to come from though? Just because we have some of the best athletes in the world playing one of the most popular international sports doesn't mean BA can expect to get anything like the kind of money thrown at it that something like cricket does, being so popular in former British colonies and what-not.

Reply #733856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well the players could pay their own way.

Reply #733858 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I cringe whenever I hear about one of these "BA needs to cater to us NBA guys" whinges that come up from time to time. Unfortunately evidence Patty has spent too long in the NBA bubble and not enough in the real world.

If Simmons doesn't want to play that's on him get stuffed.

Reply #733860 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yes there is a gap and yes that gap is because of a difference in revenue and money.

There is nothing that BA or any other national team can create that comes close to how the NBA is ran. I mean these guys get penthouse suits with 3 bedrooms at the Four Seasons for away games - a bed at the Olympic Village is obviously not going to be off par.

Whilst I do think legitimate and reasonable concerns do need to be met (Especially around insurance and player safety etc), I think NBA players need to face the fact that its not the NBA environment, it never will be and therefore if they have to 'rough' it for a few weeks then that's simply part and parcel of representing a basketball team outside of the NBA.

I think these guys involvement in the NBA clouds their expectations somewhat as time goes by;

Reply #733861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have no problem with medical and health concerns ie proper length beds for sleep and recovery, but last time Bogut was whinging about shower curtains. He's a Prima Donna, hopefully the rest of the team isn’t like him

Reply #733862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've been told from a very reliable source who is a mate of a current
Boomer. The NBA players are not happy with BA for a lot of reasons
and here is a few.

There hasn't been a CEO appointed replacing Anthony Moore at a crucial
time for not only the Boomers but for sake of basketball in Australia!

The NBA players weren't consulted in the recent agreement between BA and
the Players Association.

BA has lied in their response to the article above by saying they are in
regular dialog with the NBA!

Lemanis hasn't personally spoken to any Aussie NBA players.

A numbers of players are adamant they will hold off on their decision to
play in the 2020 as long as lemanis is the coach.

Reply #733871 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Not seeking high end penthouses in luxury hotels either, just accommodation more appropriate to their needs (i.e. not athlete villages with few environmental controls to limit disruptions and generally comprising generic amenities not appropriate for someone taller than 6'2).

Reply #733873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are disruptions to the basketball players any worse than other athletes?

Reply #733875 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Unfortunately evidence Patty has spent too long in the NBA bubble and not enough in the real world.

Yep, that's Patty in a nutshell

/s

Reply #733876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if any of these NBA players are willing to pay back BA the money they received while attending the CoE for free. Sort of like HECS debts. They get given all these opportunities and then don't give back. BA isn’t making money from them.

That said, appropriate accommodation should be expected.

Reply #733878 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

It's interesting that the implied source of discontent appears to be a player who has never played for the Boomers outside of Australia and NZ. Also the same player who reacted somewhat immaturely when he didn't make the last Olympic team.

On the other side, there is Basketball Australia, who've struggled to be reasonably organized for decades even when they had a CEO, so there might be some valid points.

Reply #733887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can believe that BA are difficult to deal with and I think it's likely concerns about player health and insurance and the like are valid.

Having said that, complaining about things like Olympic Village accommodation, which is not in BA's control, makes them look like prima donnas. As has been said above, FIBA basketball isn't the NBA and never will be.

Reply #733902 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

What would be wrong with BA providing the base package and the athletes paying for anything more if they want the deluxe or extras?
Didn't the US players pay to go into hotels at the last Olympics or WC?

Reply #733915 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

"Didn't the US players pay to go into hotels at the last Olympics or WC?"

Didn't they hire a luxury cruise ship and stay in it?

I think there's a lot of middle ground between that and having to wash your own uniform in the sink as Wortho talked about yesterday

Reply #733925 | Report this post

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I have no problem with players bringing their own health staff or getting longer beds, but outside of that and insurance, how are Ben Simmons' needs any more so than any NBL scrub? He can't live like a normal person for a week or two and maybe make his own bed or something?

Reply #733940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Anonymous Yesterday

I have no problem with medical and health concerns ie proper length beds for sleep and recovery, but last time Bogut was whinging about shower curtains."

"Why are disruptions to the basketball players any worse than other athletes?"

Wow, great talking points FFT!

Reply #733941 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:47 am, Sat 11 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754