Isaac
Years ago

Harry Froling named NBL Rookie of the Year 2019

No surprise there.

Topic #44845 | Report this topic

FM  
Years ago

Rookie of the year not good enough for boomers, other rookies deemed fit for boomers.

Does Lemanis try and recruit players and offer the Boomers as a side token? Someone like Harry signs with Adelaide instead so must be punished?

Wasn't the most ethical situation with Lemanis discussing Hodgson's move whilst away with the boomers.

Reply #734784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis is a joke

Reply #734818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Firstly, Congratulations to Harry. Well deserved & I agree that Harry should have been selected initially.

But I don't get your point. There are no Brisbane players picked. So what are you getting at.

Naar, Grida, Wilson, Humphries, Landale, etc all signed with other teams.

Sorry, I don't get your argument.

Reply #734845 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

No players from teams playing in finals were considered to be picked, so it's not that he didn't pick Brissy players, he was not allowed to. Froling should be given a shot.

Reply #734855 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Froling and McVeigh were added to the squad once Adelaide were confirmed to be missing the post-season.

Reply #734857 | Report this post

K4L  
Years ago

Well deserved.

Reply #734876 | Report this post

Bullets  
Years ago

Why do so many people think there are conspiracies when it comes to selecting these squads. If you aren't part of the process, there is no use slagging the process! I highly doubt favouritism comes into it. In this case...Froling was obviously not picked as other more experienced 4/5 men were available.
Now Johnson is out, he comes into the squad.
Crisis averted!!!

Reply #734898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"rookie of the year" always strikes me as a somewhat arbitrary award in the NBL.
Does someone like Bowen qualify for contention?
What about an Aussie playing in Europe, who comes back to the NBL for the first time? Or what about Bogut for that matter?

If a team like say Perth, next year go for a young kid straight out of College as their "3rd import" does he qualify?

But all of that aside, given the criteria as we understand them, Froling was clearly the stand out, and the ward is well deserved.

Reply #734931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grida is better

Reply #734932 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Did'nt see either Grida or Naar remonstrating with refs when they got a foul called on them or kick out when an opposition player intimidates you.Surely the way you act and fairness on the court has got to be part of the criteria for this award.

Reply #734935 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If only it were.

I made that point on Twitter and someone dared me to say that to Froling's face. As though the inherent risk in doing that wasn't my exact point.

Reply #734983 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Grida has to be a priority target for the Wildcats for the next gen of Aussies to complement Kay, Norton and Steindl and replace Hire and eventually Wagstaff and Martin.

Reply #734988 | Report this post

K4L  
Years ago

"rookie of the year" always strikes me as a somewhat arbitrary award in the NBL.
Does someone like Bowen qualify for contention?
What about an Aussie playing in Europe, who comes back to the NBL for the first time? Or what about Bogut for that matter?"

Has to be first Professional (paid) season = Rookie.

Reply #735012 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

In response to the Grida comment. Instead of targeting players at other clubs have a crack at developing a few of your own.

Reply #735017 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Good one, that isn't going to happen. #buynotbuild

Reply #735018 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Froling has skills beyond his years, but definitely agree that his attitude is just a needless part of his game. In the Perth outing for example, he got Hire with that perfect and legitimate screen. When Hire retaliated, all he had to do was take it, raise an eyebrow and then stay quiet. Call goes against Hire and Froling is 2-0 and heading to the line. As it played out, it felt like a turning point in the game.

2:51 left in the third. Adelaide up 10. Unsportsmanlike on Hire. Froling goes 1/2 at the line for 56-67 then has a travel on the next possession. Perth score 9-2 to finish the period, then have momentum at home to carry on from there.

Reply #735021 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Grida is a home grown West Australian who has played SBL then went to the COE and then got recruited by the Hawks as a backup 2-3 player. I heard Beveridge say in his presser after the game that he wished him well for his future. Is that an acceptance that he knows that he is going to be lost by the Hawks.

Reply #735038 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Probably more about Bevo if he's not going to be staying with the Hawks?

Reply #735062 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:02 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754