Isaac
Years ago

Hawks and Bevo to part ways

A few days ago, Mitch Jennings wrote this in the Illawarra Mercury:
The Hawks on-court inconsistency this season has come amid payroll issues that saw players and staff not receive all their super entitlements. It attracted the attention of the NBL, the players' association and even the ATO before it was thankfully resolved.

Depending on who you talk to it's the sign of a club at death's door, or a payroll glitch that barely rates a mention. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

The NBL has been across it and doesn't hold any fears for the club's immediate future. It does go a long way to explaining Rob Beveridge's reluctance to commit to another year at the helm.

He said of his future this week: "it's about being in an environment where you’re happy to turn up to work every day and work hard." In a role where you're already starting well behind the financial eight-ball it's an essential ethos.

When the front office doesn't have its act together, it can quickly be eroded. A look at the front office Beveridge has dealt with in his four years should go a long way to explaining his reticence to readily recommit.

Topic #44864 | Report this topic

Big Ads  
Years ago

"He said of his future this week: "it's about being in an environment where you're happy to turn up to work every day and work hard." In a role where you're already starting well behind the financial eight-ball it's an essential ethos.

When the front office doesn't have its act together, it can quickly be eroded."

I wonder if we will see a similar statement being used by Joey Wright in the coming weeks?

Reply #735199 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

A few years ago Gordie left the Hawks because they weren't honouring staff entitlements.

Now Bevo is leaving as the Hawks aren't honouring staff entitlements.

I wish him the best of luck finding a next role.

Since Wright is 'assessing his options', maybe come over to the Sixers Bevo and teach DJ how to play D?

Reply #735200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hear there is a position opening up in Sydney...

Reply #735201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pinaeu both dengs and wilson may as well all leave because beveridge doesn't give young talent any court time.

Reply #735202 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Pinaeu both dengs and wilson may as well all leave because beveridge doesn't give young talent any court time.

First of all I wouldn't call Pineau young talent, let's just leave it at young.

Secondly Naar and Grida rank 1st and 3rd in Rookie minutes per game.

Reply #735203 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Sad to see him part ways. I thought bevo would be at the hawks long term

Reply #735204 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Mutual? If this was mutual it goes a long way to understanding why Bevo wanted out.

Reply #735205 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

So who's our front runner replacement?

Neilsen?

Hammer?

Lemanis?

Geez I wouldn't mind Joey - we'd be up tempo & exciting to watch!

Reply #735209 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

There is no way Bevo quit without having a job lined up.

Reply #735210 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Heard that Hammer hasn't applied and may not, and that the Illawarra owner won't have Hammer there (I don't know why???? Just that!).

Reply #735214 | Report this post

Red74  
Years ago

Youre always welcome back at Perth Bevo!

Reply #735215 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

What about Eric Cook? He has been under Gordie and Bevo.

Reply #735220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze, would be good for crowd support and is better than people give him credit for.

Reply #735222 | Report this post

RJL  
Years ago

@Airdelay - Joey? No thanks.
@Lovebroker - Cookie had a go some time back for a couple of years. 2006-2008 from memory before Geordie McLeod.
Had someone tell me Matt Flinn was already Lined up to take the job...would rather see Aaron Farne or Shawn Dennis.

Reply #735228 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Cooks was head coach for two and a bit seasons after Joyce was sacked and wasn't up to it.

Hawks owner not wanting Heal = smart owner.

Reply #735244 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So putting two and two together Heal heard Bevo to Kings so started rumours about himself to Hawks. Desperate lol.

Reply #735247 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Maybe Heal is still in shape from his Big3 audition and wants to player/coach again. One of my favourite memories of Heal is as player coach for the Dragons, the footage of him in a timeout with the team trailing by a basket with 15 or so seconds left and the ball. Heal draws up some elaborate play (before they stopped putting cameras in huddles in the last 2 mins), heads out on the court, gets the inbound pass, does the opposite of what he himself drew up and dribbles the ball for the length of the shot clock before flinging up a contested 3 that bricks.

Reply #735251 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I hope you're joking a bit Angus as from what I remember of the end of Heal's playing days he stunk it up badly at the Blaze and that was a decade ago.

It was obvious back then he had played on too long him trying out for the Big3 a few years ago was typical of his ego.

Reply #735252 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Angus thank you for the trip down memory lane, I was watching the coverage live at the time. A classic moment.

Reply #735262 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Zodiac that Blaze team specifically the one season with Heal and Daniel Joyce both on it due to Joyce's nepotism/jobs for mates was so putrid to watch. It burnt through the funds of a naive family ownership group instead of creating a base from which a new franchise could build into the future.

Let's not forget years later Heal tried to repay the favour by declaring during commentary of a United game with Demopolous on the way out that Melbourne should sign Brendan Joyce as coach.

Reply #735263 | Report this post

K4L  
Years ago

"Gaze, would be good for crowd support and is better than people give him credit for."

Kings crowds have not increased with Gaze, Bogut or a team in the top 4.

Reply #735669 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kings crowds have been very good, but they were superb early in the season and then hit hard by some bad losses at home. Gaze got the Kings a bit of press the past few years, but Bogut has blown up NBL coverage in Sydney at least. Kings and the league are regular appearances on sports segments whenever there is a game, which is a big change from years prior.

Reply #735682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The local paper saying it's Matt Flynn, assistant coach for last ten seasons.

Reply #736617 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

RJL

called it , well done

Reply #736620 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

I still laugh when I remember the time he suited up for the Hawks after so many injuries, he got in the game as well.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/633549/assistant-coach-matt-flinn-to-suit-up-for-hawks/

Reply #736628 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

I hope the club put together a competitive roster for him, would love to see an underdog story eventuate, good luck to him, definitely earned his stripes.

Reply #736629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes good luck to him, he'll do a fine job, haven’t seen it officially confirmed yet though.

Reply #736635 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I still laugh when I remember the time he suited up for the Hawks after so many injuries, he got in the game as well.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/633549/assistant-coach-matt-flinn-to-suit-up-for-hawks/
I still remember the Cannons game at Challenge in 2003 where James Crawford and Butch Hays suited up for Canberra because nobody else was available, either just before or just after they collapsed mid-season.

Scott Fisher coming out of retirement for a one-off a couple of months into his first season out isn't on quite the same timescale, but it was an interesting move nonetheless. That game turned Perth's season around.

Reply #736677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Confirmed

Reply #736710 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:55 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754