Manu Fieldel
Years ago

Annual pulse check

Is it just me or does the NBL lose hype every year around this time?

Regular season is the most stimulating part of the NBL calendar for mine.

Scrolled through Facebook just then and saw Overtime was live. Thought 'meh' and kept scrolling.

What say you?

Topic #44888 | Report this topic

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

*I don't like that I am this way, just can't help it

Reply #735693 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It's not just you. 11 days is a long time between games.

Reply #735696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes momentum lost, all semi final sides had players available this season, should have continued.

Reply #735697 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Nailed it. All the momemtum the NBL had has totally come to a halt.

Way too long in between regular season and finals. Hard not to think that a few more regular season games after the FIBA window and before the finals start would help. However that would mean players who do miss out on NBL finals would miss the signing deadlines for most European leagues to play out their season, and that means lost earning potential for players.

Reply #735698 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I think it's the anticipation of NRL season that gets me going too.

Anticipation of an impending season is a strong influencer

Reply #735700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So players that are in finals are penalised going to Europe, don't make sense, though Creek got a German div one contract late last season.

Reply #735703 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

A regular problem the NBL faces every season at this time. Fatigue plus whatever the current problem is (this year, FIBA)

But we dont want a shorter season. We want more games, a best of 5 game semi final series as well as the grand final. Didnt we? This FIBA window is very annoying but if your suggesting that the hype dies off at this time of year and the ramping up of the NRL (and AFL) season is kicking in now, then making the season longer including the playoffs isnt going to make it any better, which is what gets suggested every year, and with expansion coming will definitely be something to look at.

But then 19 weeks of NBL isnt much either, right? This year we will blame it on FIBA. Every other year we blame it on the footy codes. Next year? Expansion?

Reply #735705 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Spot on Haz, if NRL pre-season takes psyche away from NBL then there is an inherent problem in the level of psyche NBL is capable of at this time of year in its current state.

Maybe the NBL needs more of something to keep psyche levels optimal

Reply #735706 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

From a purely forum traffic point of view I don't mind it.

It's the calm before the storm because come Thursday it's going to be a complete shitshow on here. :D

Reply #735708 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Why did we need a FIBA window, when he picked only non finals players?

It's always a tough time, when many fans have lost their team, and its only the big spenders left. The FIBA window has killed it dead.

Reply #735709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would have been a nice consolation prize for fans of non playoff teams to see their players in green & gold on the same weekend that the NBL playoffs were tipping off.

Reply #735710 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Would having an all-Star weekend (I was thinking between games 1 & 2 of the grand final series but they could do lots of advertising of the game with captains from the 5th and 6th placed teams

Reply #735712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't forget NZ also had 3 players (plus head coach) involved during the FIBA window. To play finals would have made an impact on those teams.

Reply #735716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the break. It's positive in all regards. Better awards night participation and the players get to freshen up before what is going to be a hectic period of games. One week without games is not a big deal, guys. You'll forget about it as soon as games are back on tomorrow.

Reply #735721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It also allows more time to sell tickets for the semis, which are historically poorly attended.

Reply #735723 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

^ great point.

Reply #735735 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:51 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754