Anonymous
Years ago

Cairns declines option on Lucas Walker

He will now be a free agent. Will he have any suitors?

Topic #45006 | Report this topic

Hogwash  
Years ago

Unlikely unless new Melbourne club go for him as a cheap bench option.

Reply #739332 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

What's the g-o with Walker here?

I’ve never been a fan but he always seems to put up decent-ish figures to at least earn a bench role somewhere.

To me, Cairns declining is especially alarming given that their roster sucked and he was occasionally one of few that did ok. Could’ve easily seen him being kept on next season.

Reply #739344 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

he was very underwhelming. if he'd put up the same numbers as his time in Perth he would've been fine but for my money he made too many bad shot choices, turned over the ball too much and spent a lot of time injured or recovering. also not clear whether he ever really recovered from the ankle injury he had.

I hope this means cairns have lined up a half decent 4-man to replace the creaky walker/Loughton combo from this season. if those two had both played anywhere near the same as the year before cairns would've been a lot more competitive.

he's also just had a baby with his partner (who's from the USA) so wonder if family also had anything to do with his exit. can't see him getting another job in the Nbl tbh.

Reply #739348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he'll probably land on the end of a teams bench, assuming he wants to continue. With SEM coming in thats an extra like 8 roster spots for locals in the league. I don't think we'll see too many guys forced out of the league this off season.

Reply #739350 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Waxy is 34 and well past it.
He was past it, 3 years ago, unable to get a gig.
He was brought in as a Training Player and short term injury replacement by Perth, and impressed Gleeson with his work ethic. He was impressive enough to earn a one year offer to replace Redhage on the end of the bench, last season, but played so well early that with Knight on the way out he was promoted to starting (and even earned a Boomers call up.) As expected, he slowed towards the end of the season, but it was nevertheless an impressive comeback for a 32-33 year old.
But it was never going to last.
Ultimately, with Hire, bringing in Vague, and Wagstaff slowing down, the end of the Perth bench was going to get crowded, and there was no room left for Waxy. (Maybe if they'd had to persist with Jesse or Waxy starting, but recruiting Kay ensured that was never necessary.)

Whilst I'm not sure recycling so many players was a good move, it was good to see him get a spot with Cairns, and I'd guess was a good fit for their budget.

As for the 8 extra roster spots, well there are only 5 left. Maybe 6 if Perth don't go for a 3rd import.
Yes, I think SEM will hoover up some talent and create extra opportunities, but I'm not sure there'll be a spot for Waxy.
He might get picked up as a TP again.

Reply #739352 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

https://www.3x3hustle.com/news/eventful-off-season-leads-waxy-to-first-3x3-crack/

Reply #739353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns are probably seeing what's out there, they don’t have to take the option, if they don’t get what they want he’ll still be available. Contract options don’t mean a lot, players and clubs can change their minds easily. Actually contracts mean nothing, players not happy at clubs rarely stand in their way of leaving.

Reply #739358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he would be a good potion for any team including cairns but at what price? Would you retain him at cairns if he wanted $80k? probably not. They want to get younger too so they can offer a rookie $50k.

Reply #739359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not to many confirmations from other clubs re players being retained, I'm hearing a few rumours of players looking elsewhere.

Reply #739360 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

That's probably because the cut-off date is this Friday so I would expect announcements during the week.

Reply #739365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibbo gone from Bullets

Reply #739367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Waxy has been selected to the "NBL" boomers teams quite often which indicates that Lemanis rates him. Maybe he'll play for the bullets next year?

Reply #739389 | Report this post

Wang whipper  
Years ago

CLUB STATEMENT ON LUCAS WALKER

The CQUniversity Cairns Taipans would like to clarify reports regarding Lucas Walker and his future with the club.

While his comments to NBL Media were in line with "the club not taking his option" for the 2019/20 season, further clarification would have revealed that the club were considering not taking his option, and instead considering a new contract.

The club have been in regular communication with Lucas' agent, and both parties agreed this would put him in a better position for all potential negotiations for the upcoming season.

The club also have until Friday 29 March 2019 (prior to the start of free agency) to make a final decision on Lucas’ option.

Lucas still lives in Cairns and has been working out with Taipans Head Coach Mike Kelly on-court regularly throughout the off-season.

Reply #739393 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

If the club is not taking his option but is open to a new contract, this would mean they want to pay him less and let him 'test the market'.

Reply #739395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

# 358 above on the money, he's agent is looking for more money, Cairns are looking around. Cairns would be foolish to rush this decision.

Reply #739396 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Truly amazing powers of deduction there lovebroker.

Not sure you can get much better than Waxy as a back-up. Pay him a pittance and get an import power forward worth a fair bit of coin.

Reply #739397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would think instead of the agent looking for more money, the Taipans want him back but for less than the current option.

Reply #739398 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The fact that's it now the off-season has truly hit me with this being the big NBL news of the day.

Reply #739401 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Although if Adam Gibson is gawn, that's prettybig.

Reply #739402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does Gibbo parting ways with the bullets suggest that sobey is going to Brisbane?

Reply #739410 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Has it actually happened? All I see is an anon saying it has.

Reply #739412 | Report this post

Wang whipper  
Years ago

Yeh an anon would know more than tne club

Reply #739413 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Likely to just be Cairns saying: instead of 70 for next season, we offer you 50 for each of the next two. Take it or leave it.

Reply #739414 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Two years is too much imo. Would want to string him out yearly, like they did with Loughzy. Pretty sure they would've given 40 another year had he been up to it

Reply #739417 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I had checked the NBL site and Bullets Twitter ...no mention of Gibbo news.

Hope it's not true...if anyone needs to go it's Cadee.

Reply #739420 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

No one could question Walker's desire, athleticism or effort. But he has always been limited with a low basketball IQ. That has been the knock on him throughout his impressively long career.

As the time starts coming for the athleticism to drop off, the pure skills and wiles might not be there to take over.

Reply #739422 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It may in fact be the other way around?
Hard to think he would have been on much this season gone, so maybe they are giving him the opportunity to test the wasters elsewhere and see if there is a better offer, anywhere???

I know its hard for them with budget constraints, but even with Jawai having a good season, they need to find some decent local quality. Otherwise even 3 reasonable imports just isn't enough.

I'm worried that in the past they have looked at Loughton and Jawai and decided getting castoffs was a good way to build a team???
Loughton had his own reasons for wanting out, and Jawai wanted to return home.

Not sure what their options are? Maybe look for young Aussies playing in the 3rd & 4th rate leagues O/S??

Reply #739427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Likely to just be Cairns saying: instead of 70 for next season, we offer you 50 for each of the next two. Take it or leave it."

What's the minimum salary?

Reply #739432 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I think Cairns are trying to set the benchmark for salary cap compliance by paying their bottom 10 players under $400k combined.

Reply #739436 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There's a salary floor set at 90% of the cap, so that wouldn't be compliant at all...

Reply #739437 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It may in fact be the other way around?
Hard to think he would have been on much this season gone, so maybe they are giving him the opportunity to test the wasters elsewhere and see if there is a better offer, anywhere???
Fair enough. Option was too high, or the option was low. So they ditch that and give him a chance to find more value elsewhere before taking the cheap deal they may re-offer.

Reply #739462 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

See this is what I hate about Southern Huskies not coming in this season, it would have been a fantastic opportunity for two Tasmanians to go home and be a part of a brand new club... I think both may be too old by the time they get their licence (and stadium).

Reply #739625 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:22 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754