Isaac
Years ago

Gibson signs with SEM Phoenix

Topic #45054 | Report this topic

Hogwash  
Years ago

Smart signing a solid veteran for their bench.

Reply #740154 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

SEM making some nice signings!

Reply #740159 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Agree - very nice signing. I know there's not exactly a huge number of young unsigned locals out there looking for a gig, but it's looking like a very veteran roster at this stage, outside of Creek and the young athletic guy who's name completely escapes me.

Reply #740165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wish they would look at some younger guys who aren't given the chance at this level instead of picking up recycled players. There is a lot of talent in NBL1 and Big V who given the opportunity would be able to compete favourably.

Reply #740174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Rubbish. Someone like Shane McDonald had/has dominated SEABL for the past several years and when the Breakers gave him an opportunity the jump in level was too great. The jump in just the NBL alone within itself the past 3 years has been huge. Gibbo will give you a solid 12-17 mins off the bench. Not too many guys from NBL1 least of all BIG V are going to give you that.

Reply #740179 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

What are the chances that Bear follows him there also.

Reply #740181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep your blinkers on, you obviously don't around to many games.
I can give you a few names that are better than Cadee, Moller, Hooley just to name a few.

Reply #740186 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Creek is still at his best, hardly recycled, he'd be a walk up start for most NBL teams.
They signed Chima Moneke, that's pretty much the definition of giving youth a go.
Wesley is getting on, but is still s great competitor. Any team would love to have him coming off the bench for quality minutes.
Madgen, I'll grant you, is looking old, but he's coming from a successful European Career so should have plenty left to offer.

Gibson. Well IMHO he has been spectacularly overrated for much of his career, but has still been a very good player. It's hardly his fault that Lemanis found a new Toy-Boy in Spuddee, and does his recruiting with a Chocolate Wheel. He'll bring a lot of experience, both on court and in the locker room.

Keep in mind that with a new team, plus the usually departures, there's not going to be too many decent players without a gig, so Gibbo is an ok pickup.
There's still plenty of spots on their roster, plus DP spots, to hopefully start developing the next generation of talents.

What will be interesting is when they start to name imports, and we get to see how well they have structured the squad. If they're intending that Gibbo, Madgen, and Wesley all Start, then yeah they'll need Zimmer frames. But throw in a trio of gun imports, plus say Brandt, and it starts to look incredibly competitive.

I personally think that as a new team, they made a mistake in signing an unproven assistant, but who knows, perhaps Mitchell will be brilliant.

Reply #740188 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Gibson is a handy signing, but nothing to get too excited over. His is very experienced in the NBL and this type of experience you can't put on young shoulders.

I wouldn't expect him to play bulk minutes next season, his usefulness at the club would be during training and in the clutch games. The young guy next to him would be the main one to benefit.

Having said that, coming off the bench for 10 mins/game might be just enough for him to slow the game down giving the big light players a rest, dropping the odd 3 here and there.

Reply #740196 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Gibbo can be handy yes....but he is equally capable of inbounding a ball with the Sixers up only to have it stolen by Steindl at the Crocs to lose it.

Reply #740197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By all means #186, name away mate. I'll get my popcorn ready.

Reply #740258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#186 I'm still waiting as well.

Reply #740300 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:37 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754