James Harvey fan
Years ago

Cairns moves on from Melo Trimble

The CQUniversity Cairns Taipans have learnt today that the Club was unsuccessful in its attempt to re-sign import point guard, Melo Trimble.

The Taipans, thanks to some major sponsorship partners, have been actively pursuing Trimble since the beginning of the year, but the Club was unfortunately unable to match or come close to the offer made by another NBL team.

The Club would like to assure the Orange Army that the Taipans administration and Head Coach Mike Kelly are aggressively scouting players throughout the off-season and will endeavour to find a player of equal or better calibre, that is as determined as we are to represent the Far North, with passion and loyalty.

The Taipans would like to thank Melo Trimble (2019 Taipans MVP and Members Choice MVP) for his time with the club and wish him all the best in the future.

Topic #45151 | Report this topic

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

United is his new club, per Olgon Uluc.

Reply #742308 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Bring on Jett to Cairns

Reply #742309 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

but the Club was unfortunately unable to match or come close to the offer made by another NBL team.

Trimble got tired to getting paid in Fish and Chips and Cairns Food Stamps.

Reply #742322 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

LB, Minimum chips and a chiko roll per game is what I heard.

Reply #742326 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

LB, Minimum chips and a chiko roll per game is what I heard.

Dafuq? Not even a piece of crumbed White Wings Hake?

Reply #742328 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

"to find a player of equal or better calibre, that is as determined as we are to represent the Far North, with passion and loyalty".

Bit of shade thrown there?

Reply #742333 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Very disappointing. However I wouldn't mind Jett at all. Hardworking player.

The next news I'm expecting will be ... drum roll ... Tom Jervis. That would really complete my day NOT!

Reply #742338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boooooo, oops you can't boo in Australian sport apparently.

Reply #742339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jett??????
in the wise words of Charles Barkley
If you go out with a girl and they say she has a great personality, she's ugly. If they tell you a guy works hard, he can’t play a lick. Same thing.

Reply #742350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many free agents did Cairns miss out on by trying to short pay them while trying to get Trimble.

Reply #742353 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

100% they lost out this free agency. I know for a fact they were offering potential starting players who could become a critical part of their Aussie contingent salaries worthy of 10 minutes off the bench at least 25% off market value minimum. Who in their right mind would take the risk. If you get paid poorly what does that tell you about their intent to play you.

Reply #742355 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Randle is a better player at this moment anyway, Taipans will have upgraded

Reply #742360 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Randle is better than Trimble.

I see.

Reply #742361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly

Reply #742363 | Report this post

Keen observer  
Years ago

A lot of shuffling of deck chairs but I see the same teams remaining strong and the same teams struggling to stay relevant.

Reply #742364 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Yeah at least Randle plays defence. I'm happy with how our import PG situation panned out

Reply #742380 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I think this is the reality for Cairns, regarding their imports. They're always going to need to chase new guys looking for an opportunity.

But what of their local core? Who have they been chasing?
Who's left?

Reply #742382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

remember next star

Reply #742384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imo Cairns would've been better chasing better locals, imports are always a bit of a gamble, Newbill is good and you would not think he’s on massive dollar, Hall didn’t do much and for all the Trimble love he didn’t win games for them. Perth prove it time and time again, certainly since Bevo took them over and now Gleeson that is get the Australian core right and championships follow with the right imports.

Reply #742385 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Trimble didn't win them games?

Without Trimble they'd be a one win team.

He scored the same ppg as Cotton in less minutes and at a better percentage.

Reply #742394 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I don't think anyone is denying Trimble is a great offensive player, it's the other end of the court that puts him behind the likes of Ware and Cotton. If you swap Trimble out last season for another import PG who was the inverse - great defensive player, mediocre/poor scorer - how different would Cairns' record have been? I think Newbill would've shown more, and maybe they win 1 or 2 less, or even win 1 or 2 more.

Yes Trimble is young and can improve etc., but for me defense is 70% effort, especially when a guy has the natural tools like Trimble... It's always worrying when a pro doesn't give effort, because it's not something you can just fix in training. Maybe Vickerman gets him dialled in, but maybe he doesn't and you have a Trimble/Goulding backcourt looking to put more points on the board than they gave up down the other end. Which could still work.

Reply #742414 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Trimble didn't defend for a large chunk of the season. Point blank. Period. And it did nothing for the confidence and effort for the rest of the group. He was the chief of the team and didn't lead by example.

The Taipans were only ever on fire when Jawai and Hall were prominent. Didn't happen near enough

Reply #742428 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

yes, exactly this. I hope Melbourne can surround him with players who can play D or this will come back to bite them. I'd rather an import PG who can put up 12-15 pts a night, shares the ball around and can show some effort on the defensive end.

Reply #742432 | Report this post

Troppo  
Years ago

it is hard to replace that many PPG .

Reply #742579 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

two imports on 10-12 pts per game at reasonable efficiency + newbill would do it. Hall did fuck all last year, in reality we played with two imports.

Reply #742619 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:09 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754