Peter
Years ago

36ers confirm 4 signings

Former Fresno State Bulldog's point guard, Deshon Taylor, has signed a one-year deal as the club’s third and final US import.

Standing at 188cm, the 23-year-old Californian is a two-time All Mountain First Teamer and averaged 17.9 points, 5.0 assists, 3.7 rebounds and 1.4 steals per game last season for the Bulldogs.

Taylor will be joined by Brendan Teys, who returns for his seventh season with the 36ers, Illawarra Hawks’ former captain Kevin White and veteran point guard Daniel Dillion, who have all signed two year deals with the club.

Topic #45233 | Report this topic

Paul  
Years ago

Underwhelming so far

Reply #744090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Three old guys, one of which can't shoot, and an unproven import PG. Very ordinary.

Reply #744092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would you sign White for two years?

Reply #744094 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I wouldn't sign him, but would White move states for a single year?

Reply #744096 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Long season ahead I think.

Reply #744097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He played in WA State League last season so probably. I just do not understand why you would sign him at all.

Reply #744099 | Report this post

BiasedBreakersFan  
Years ago

Taylor's shooting form doesn't look amazing, but 40% from deep on 6 attempts per game is no fluke. Only player in the entire league to do that last season was Trimble. Seems like he'd be a perfect fit next to Moore.

White is a solid signing - you guys were in desperate need of some D on the perimeter and he can go toe-to-toe with anyone. Dillon does seem like a strange get though.

Reply #744100 | Report this post

Lawsy  
Years ago

Lol Adelaide fans must be riddled with excitement

Reply #744104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Always a risk getting a guy straight out of college.

Reply #744105 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Teys and White are too similar playing style IMHO.

Play wise, I think that both are brown bread kinda guys that mothers want their daughters to marry and want their grandmas to have tea and scones with.

The military love having everyone the same, a sports team needs a mixture. I'm not sure having two left boots will work.

Reply #744106 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Boy now I need to rush out and confirm my 5 season tickets.
But wait not only have we gone small with no 3 point shooter brought in which was missing from last year and lost Deng who was one .
But we might lose 2 of our only 4 bigs in team and apart from 1 import where is that going to come from or who are we going to bring out of retirement .

Reply #744107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drimic can shoot the three. White will be fine though is a little to much like Teys. If Wiley stays they will be very competitive.

Reply #744110 | Report this post

Wendy Byrd  
Years ago

PG - Taylor
SG - Moore
SF - drmic
Pf - Wiley
C - Johnson

6th - Froling

If Taylor is the real deal and Froling keeps improving, this team could be good

Reply #744111 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Bretts the man...Deshon looks to be a 3 pt shooter and Dillon whilst streaky can light it up from there.

Already signed you have Drmic, Moore, Froling, DJ and Teys (to an extent) who are all more than capable.

I don't get the love for Deng? Sure, he was a nice guy but he wasn't that great a 3 pt shooter, never met a shot he didn't like and couldn't defend?! More minutes for McVeigh here will be better for the team if he continues to play/improve like he did the back end of last season.

Reply #744113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delusional. This could quite possibly be one of the worst 36er teams ever. It will only take one of the imports to have an off night and the game is lost. The current Australian content has no x-factor with the loss of Sobey, Creek and Deng, or consistency. The latest import better be able to play or it's going to be a very poor welcome season to the Entertainment Centre.

Reply #744115 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Agreed with Tornado. The team is fine for shooters.

I also agree about the strange love for Deng. Everyone would get excited when he would hit a 3 but then ignore when his opponent scores 6 on him before he finally gets subbed off. McVeigh more than covers Deng

The height is a factor but Wright looks like he wants to turn the disadvantage into an advantage.

The team looks better balanced than last year with Taylor being a proper point guard rather than Sobey who had no idea and wanted to play hero ball instead (which worked sometimes).

The team is a lot better then people give us credit for (as always) however if we lose Froling and are unable to replace him with a capable big then it will be a struggle.

Reply #744116 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

They just need a backup big and the're good to go.

*Taylor / Dillon
*Moore / White / Teys
Drmic / McVeigh
*Wiley / Local
Johnson / Froling

Reply #744118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corey William got the wrong team its the Hawks who is signing a Bulls player Ryan Arcidiacono who played for the Bulls for two years

Reply #744123 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Arcidiancono just finished playing big minutes for the bulls. He's not leaving the NBA

Reply #744124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so are you guys 36ERS guys happy with the signings

Reply #744126 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Do Adelaide fans not rate Moore due to being a little injury prone or becuase they don't believe he's good enough?

Reply #744127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

were is the size only one over 6 9 in DJ, on aussiehoopla website 36ers have signing a aussie guard from ST Marys

Reply #744131 | Report this post

hawky  
Years ago

Are Sixers fans unhappy? I'm not, a little underwhelmed.

Agree the team does look better balanced.

We can't compete financially with the big spenders, we have to be savvy. Being tough and running provides a POD, I like it.

Getting a good next stars player would benefit massively, I'd hope Joey and the Sixers would be seen as a destination of choice.

If we are to be successful, the following needs to occur imo:

the 11th player is a rotation player (eg Bairstow/potential starter-6th man level).

Reply #744135 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"Do Adelaide fans not rate Moore due to being a little injury prone or becuase they don't believe he's good enough?"

I rate Moore. His shortcomings are his effort getting back on defense and putting a hand up to the shooter. The only major issue is that he is injury prone. Most people don't rate him as he isn't fancy, he just gets the job done in a no frills way so they over look his abilities/effectiveness.

"were is the size only one over 6 9 in DJ,"

Froling is about 6'11

Reply #744136 | Report this post

hawky  
Years ago

...Sorry, further to the above

If we are to be successful, the following needs to occur IMO:

- the 11th player to be signed is a rotation player (eg Bairstow/potential starter-6th man level).

- Froling needs to be retained

- the import PG needs to be at least in the conversation for all NBL teams

Reply #744137 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anon 744131 - Aussie PG is Alex Mudronja....3 year deal with first to be served as a DP.

Reply #744145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

give up on Froling returning if drafted he goes to Europe if not drafted go to the G league

Reply #744146 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I know 36ers fans seem underwhelmed and it hardly looks like a championship team but I rated the 36ers last the last 3 seasons and they were in the playoff picture every season so I'm wiping the egg off my face and not picking them to finish last this season as I know better than that now... besides more court time for McVeigh could be a wonderful thing; I love how he plays.

Reply #744149 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I know 36ers fans seem underwhelmed and it hardly looks like a championship team but I rated the 36ers last the last 3 seasons and they were in the playoff picture every season so I'm wiping the egg off my face and not picking them to finish last this season as I know better than that now... besides more court time for McVeigh could be a wonderful thing; I love how he plays.

Reply #744150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the Sixers have Froling under contract for 19/20 season there is normally a buy out clause, I know every one jumped up and down re Creek but Froling hasn't given the service to the Sixers that Creek did. It’s a business and they should enforce the contract or why have a contract at all.

Reply #744151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great....another guy who can't hack college.

Reply #744159 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Looks like he's got some pretty good handles going by YouTube footage. Pretty impressive college stats. You never know how college signings are going to go so no need to judge early.

I think the real question is why after losing Sobey has Adelaide gone down the budget path? (assuming they have)

Reply #744162 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Isaac, was White in such high demand though that he was in a position to dictate getting two years? Either he wanted to continue his career or he didn't. I'm not sure why Adelaide would be bothered if he wasn't coming for just one. Although saying that, I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head.

Reply #744164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

to say that who's the best import out of college, who has played in the NBL

Reply #744168 | Report this post

Team Mate  
Years ago

Glue guys...check.
Tough guys...check.

Genuinely talented guys...oh shit.

Reply #744169 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Masterchief...2nd year could be a club option?

Reply #744170 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I really don't understand what exactly 6's fans were expecting?
Have you not actually followed Joey and your team in recent years?

Yes, losing Creek and then Sobey has been a bitter blow, but what do you expect them to do? Outbid all the other teams chasing Sobey?
Apart from Sobey, and perhaps Bairstow, there was sod-all talent moving this FA period, and you can't just conjure local talent up out of thin air. They have done their best to fill their bench with guys who will provide solid backup.

Personally, I think that re-signing Wiley is HUGE news. This season you all thought he was the 2nd coming, but now he's re-signed suddenly he's crap?

As for Taylor, again, what exactly did you expect? Did you expect the 6's to outbid other teams to get Ware or Trimble?? Joey is always stuck recruiting players nobody else is chasing, and you have to admit he's done a pretty good job over the years.
And if he doesn't work out, you can bet Joey will be keeping an eye on other options.

Sure, it won't be the best Import trio in town, but it won't be the worst either. Moore I'll admit is a bit underwhelming, but he does what's asked of him, clearly has a good rapport with Joey, and is presumably cheap.

Also keep in mind that there is the possibility of a Next Star, and Joey should have the contacts to find a decent one.

Reply #744177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember winning with the likes of Maher, Ninnis, Bradtke, Smyth and the others. Winning is most important but something special about winning with local players too.

The kid out of St Marys is real good from what I can gather. They loved him over in Canberra and he was reportedly the best PG in the country in his age group.

There is a whole bunch of top end talent over in the States from SA at the moment. Hoping this one works out and the 6ers can bring these guys back over the coming years. I know that I for one will be onboard if we can do that again.

Reply #744178 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Great post D2.0. Lots of delusional fans. No matter how many times you tell them that budget is a huge constraint they still don't understand

Reply #744183 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Who are the 6's?

Reply #744196 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

This is awesome to keep Cairns out of the bomb shelter...

Reply #744199 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yeah, they've got lemonade money yet Sixers fans want champagne signings.

Reply #744200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jimma Dau to compete for a roster spot? Definitely needs to put on idk...maybe 25kgs?

Reply #744205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who got taylor?
Joey or management?

Reply #744212 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"something special about winning with local players too."

Yes there is, and I love to see local talentmake good, but you can't get fixated on it.
Local talent will still leave, for more money or opportunity, and if you're not willing to bring in outside talent, then you put your team at a pointless disadvantage.

Reply #744217 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Well, I wouldn't say I'm excited about the Sixers chances next season, but if Taylor is a defensive bulldog like Joey says, then I think we could at least see a much improved perimeter defence. The main problem with this team is going to be the lack of size defensively. DJ and Froling are the only two true bigs, which I think means we're going to see a lot more McVeigh at the 4 and possibly a little bit of Drmic too. I do like what I've seen of McVeigh so far, but he's going to be fairly undersized vs most 4s.

It looks like Taylor can shoot the three quite well, which should mesh much better with Moore's slashing game than Sobey's did, so that gives the Sixers better balance in their backcourt than they've had for awhile.

I like the toughness and leadership White brings to the table, but there is a bit of redundancy there with Teys. Tough to keep both when the Sixers could really use an extra experienced big man to help DJ and Froling.

I don't know much about Mudronja, but he seems to have done well at SEABL level, was born in SA and has great size at 6'5, so if true, I like the signing. I agree with the poster above that it would be good to see more locals work their way onto the Sixers roster over time. The commitment to a strong SA presence on the roster has really not been there since Dunlap was brought in during the mid 90s. Isaac White might be another guy to give a chance when his college days are done.

Reply #744218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great message from D2.0 - finally somebody talks sense. As a long term supporter it is tiring to read all the negative stuff some individuals recently have been writing. We should all be thank full that the 36ers still exists and the team over achieve most of the time given the few corporate sponsorship dollars available in Adelaide for pro basketball these days.

On the subject of having more South Australian players in the team and helping them develop. For sure, we all would love to see more home grown talent like in the past, but it is not the responsibility of the 36ers to take on both the responsibility of developing local talent and trying to reach the finals in a pro league every year. NBL is now a business and few NBL sponsors are prepared to invest for long term rewards, but will drop a team if they do not reach the finals most years.

Reply #744219 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I don't see it as a responsibility of the Sixers. Their first priority should be to compete for the title. It'd just be nice to see a couple of SA players earn significant roles on the team again. We haven't really seen that since Forman and Holmes left.

Reply #744226 | Report this post

BiasedBreakersFan  
Years ago

As a Breakers fan with no true interest in the Sixers, I have to say that I would be far more optimistic about this roster.

Taylor will be a gun three-point shooter right away and will actually contribute something in their halfcourt offence unlike Sobey. Whether Joey actually chooses to embrace the three-ball this season rather than the mid-range would be my main concern personally. There should be enough shooting and shot-creation on this roster to build an elite offence.

College imports are always a risk, but so are all imports. When was the last time an import was guaranteed to be good? Imports are mostly a crapshoot and Taylor has a chance to be as good as any of them. His numbers suggest he is very good, which is more than you can say about most college imports.

The Breakers, Taipans, and Hawks probably won't pose a threat; SEM is extremely overrated; Brisbane won't be good unless Patterson is retained. I wouldn't be so quick to judge this roster.

Reply #744236 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

We're bringing in a young Aussie from Europe who has the same size and athleticism of Majok (Deng) and is a real rim protector," Wright said.

Reply #744375 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:30 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754