Anon
Years ago

Junior Classics

Congratulations to Sturt basketball club and their players/coaches for a well deserved outcome at Classics over this weekend. The coaches have coached the whole team/s and players have developed. Well done

Topic #45334 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

What were the results?

Forestville Silver in U18 girls.

Sturt Gold in U18 boys and Bronze in U16 boys.
North 5th in U16 boys.

The boy's program has gone from good to scary good right now.

Reply #746795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville 4th in U14 Girls
Mavs 4th in U16 Girls
Norwood 5th in U12 Girls
Centrals 6th in U14 Boys

Decent results from a number of SA clubs this year.

Reply #746797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, North's U14 Boys lost to Dandenong (-8) and Hawthorn (-12), both of whom played off in the grand final, so that's a respectable result.

Reply #746798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We will soon hear from janx that the Sturt 18s have completed the 3 peat

It is a massive effort

14 Nathionals
16 classics and now 18 classics

Reply #746801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One of the best junior teams to have come from SA. Can anyone think of any better?

Reply #746804 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sturt do my head in but you have to acknowledge that team and group of young boys that have completed that trifecta. Most impressive.

Reply #746806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea it is a big effort by that team forsure.

How many times have back to back, boy's age groups medalled from SA?
You had their 16 boys medal and 18s continue to win.

And a bunch of guys earlier in their careers of playing high level college ball and one (Mudronja) just starting his pro career this coming year.

Their boy's program is scary good right now.

A lot of long athletic kids around don't seem to be reaching their potential. I know where parents should be sending their kids if they have these physical traits.

Reply #746807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have not seen Sturt's current U18 team play much.

But I think the U18 team in around 2016 with Isaac White, Mayen, Jacob Rigoni, Alex Mudronya, Ben Carter etc. ended up really good. They might have pushed this current team. A bunch of Australian Junior players or something like that and all still progressing their careers at very high levels. I remember them beating our Centrals team twice by 35+ in the winter finals and the Centrals boys were a great team in their own right.

Time will tell if this current Sturt u18 team will end up going on with it.

Reply #746808 | Report this post

bystander  
Years ago

They nearly got 4. The team got a silver at classics in 14s

14 Classic Silver
14 Nationals Gold
16 classics Gold
18 classics Gold

Reply #746812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think judging on talent/future basketball potential the Sturt group a few years ago has them covered but judged purely on successful junior careers this might be the best boys group SA has seen.

Reply #746817 | Report this post

bystander  
Years ago

Individual talent yes for sure the group from a few years ago has them covered, but this current team is tight and I think that is a big contributing factor for this team. No me or I just team.

Reply #746819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Girls talent was down this year I thought.
U12s through to 18s.

Reply #746820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it will end up close between those 2 groups in terms of future.

Keep in mind the older U18 Sturt group mentioned finnished around 9th at Classics in U16s. The development they did in their U18 year and a couple of years after was pretty amazing.

The current group had nowhere near the depth they have now in U14s. Their top 3 guys have continued to get much better but the others have improved at a pretty amazing rate to give a supporting cast.

Based on what the U18s did previously who knows where these current U18 kids might end up.

Lots of talented kids around in other environments. Are they really reaching their potential? If you watch carefully there are developmental patterns and it is obvious time and time again. I know where I'd be putting my kids.

Reply #746823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know this comp has been around for ever but it is terrible for the sport. It incentivises kids going to big clubs, which is often not good for them or the club they leave. The u14 girls finals teams for example were stacked with kids who started at other clubs. It would be much better if all states competed in SCC and it became the major focus for the top end kids Australia wide.

Reply #746829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done Sturt boys. A really good group of kids as well.
Forestville need to get a gong for gold gold silver the last 3 girls U18 Classics. Throw in a 16s silver 2 years ago, makes it a pretty good era for that club. Dominated locally as well. Won't last forever though - hopefully.
Good to see a mix of clubs doing well. West 18 girls 5th I think as well.

Reply #746871 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

No one has mentioned Sturts absence in U14 boys this year and last. If they are scary good how come they didn't even qualify?

Reply #746872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Team success also depends on how good your opposition is. I didn't think much of the 18 Tigers this Classics other than their stud who tried to do everything except take the last shot.
Well done J Will. A great coach and time for him to take over the Sturt Men next season.

Reply #746891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still remember Williams dad, wow, was he a nutter!

Reply #746897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

872, I think the poster above was referring to all the high level college players, soon to be pros moving out of Sturt right now. The u18s that won classics again are foretasted to have 4-6 D1 commits and a bunch of pros. The U16s will be packed with similar depending on the Footy vs Basketball process with some of them. Typically the kids at Sturt make the smart decision for themselves in the long term to go with basketball.

That 14s group might represent an opportunity for parents with a basketball background that understand what the above means to guide their high potential kids to that age group. Proven environment, elite coaching, focussed on providing very high value to juniors. No brainer really.

Reply #746918 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"Typically the kids at Sturt make the smart decision for themselves in the long term to go with basketball."

Football would be the smarter decision if they have any chance of becoming a professional athlete e.g. Corey Maynard

Reply #746921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it the same person who continues to openly discuss poaching juniors to Sturt from other clubs or is it a group effort from Sturt people in this thread?

Reply #746923 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I know understand what other clubs view Sturt as being arrogant and elitist. And people think Norwood are only out to look after their own self interests.

Sturt people are on another level.

Reply #746929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's always cute when Forestville come here and claim that their girls are getting are the results that Sturt’s boys have.

Sturt have more medal at Classics than all other SA clubs combined.

Forestville have the arrogance of Sturt, but the results of Forestville.

Reply #746949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There have been literally zero posts like that on this thread, unless you fundamentally disagree that three U18G GF appearances in a row qualifies as notable.

Reply #746952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

949 genuine f#$kwit

Reply #746963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's cute most clubs are happy to take money from their members and provide an average service.

Best decision we made was to pull our kids out of club X and move to a club that takes teaching basketball seriously. Kids have never enjoyed it more.

Reply #746982 | Report this post

Oberon 52  
Years ago

Would you to add some more salt with your salt?

Reply #746996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt should fast track some of these juniors into the PL team. Might win something.

Reply #747003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least 6-7 of them will be high level NCAA bound if they choose, then come back and be professionals. Some might choose to play Sturt PL in their NBL off season in a few yrs. Sturt have always been successful but there is no historical precedence for what the club can do right now on the boy's side.

Probably likewise for Eagles girl's program albeit who knows if they are doing it in a sustainable way and keeping supporting their athletes journeys so they want to return home to the Eagles or not?

Reply #747005 | Report this post

Oberon 52  
Years ago

I'm not sure they care about winning PL.

Rather about helping those kids succeed .

Reply #747099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They quite obviously don't care about winning PL at the moment.

Reply #747111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would take the 2015/16 Sturt team just marginally over the current. Both extremely successful, I feel the older group had more players with requisite size and athleticism for their positions at the higher levels, not sure that's the case with the current crop.

Reply #748178 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:38 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754