LC
Years ago

Team USA Squad of 20 Named

Led by 11 NBA All Stars, including seven current All Stars, the final team is set to thrill Australian fans right across the country when the team lines up against both the Australian Boomers in Melbourne on August 22 and 24 at Marvel Stadium, and the Canadian National Basketball Team on August 26 at Qudos Bank Arena.

The team boasts star power that has set the current NBA Playoffs alight, including James Harden, Damian Lillard and Kyle Lowry.

USA Basketball announce 20-man squad to face Australia

Topic #45335 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoping Durant, Thompson, Curry and Leonard get added to squad once the NBA finals are over.

Not likely though as Lowry is already on the team and they will probably win gold without them but really underwhelming compared to there last World Cup team

Reply #746811 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Its just the team for the warmup games not the actual wc squad, so its not to surprising.

But it does still feel a little underwhelming doesn't it.

Reply #746815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Defense he has gone for.

Reply #746816 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

It is the actual World Cup squad!

From the USA Basketball release:

"Jerry Colangelo today announced the athletes who will attend the Aug. 5-9 USA Basketball Men's National Team training camp that will be used to select the 2019 USA World Cup Team."

and then...

"Following the Las Vegas camp, which concludes with a USA Blue versus USA White exhibition game on Aug. 9 at the T-Mobile Arena, the selected team finalists will take a short break and will reassemble in Los Angeles and train Aug. 13-15, then play an exhibition contest versus Spain at the Honda Center in Anaheim on Aug. 16. The official, 12-member roster for the 2019 USA Basketball Men’s World Cup Team will be announced on Aug. 17.

"The American squad will continue its World Cup preparations Aug. 19-24 in Melbourne, Australia, and play a pair of exhibition games versus Australia on Aug. 22 and Aug. 24 at Marvel Stadium. The USA will complete its pre-World Cup tour Aug. 25-28 in Sydney, Australia. Slated to conduct training Aug. 25, 27 and 28, the U.S. will close out its exhibition tour on Aug. 26 facing Canada at Qudos Bank Arena."

Don't be delusional. This is happening.

Reply #746827 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

"Its just the team for the warmup games not the actual wc squad, so its not to surprising.

But it does still feel a little underwhelming doesn't it."

Why do people insist on saying this garbage. IT IS THE WORLD CUP SQUAD FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. They're not going to switch teams a few days before the actual cup. These warm up games are important for their team to get chemistry. I just don't understand why we keep hearing the same garbage and where these people get this idea from.

-

As for whether other players are added, I think they will be. Just because Kyle Lowry has already committed doesn't mean other players who maybe carry more of the weight of their teams (Durant, Curry, Thompson, Kawhi) won't.

Reply #746832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way Durant gets added having missed the finals through injury. He will worry about getting healthy.

I think Curry sits it out, and Kawhi probably does. I think Klay will come in.

Reply #746833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And when a couple of the three genuine stars get round to pulling out, what are you left with..a very expensive ticket and USA's B team?

Reply #746834 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

There are some real idiots in this thread this is the USA squad end of. No players are going to be added to this squad the final 12 man team will be picked from this group of players.

Durant, Curry, Klay Thompson and Kawhi Leonard all declined invitations as did Westbrook and Paul George.

Notice that only one player from these NBA Finals is on that list, Lowry, but no Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant, Klay Thompson, Kawhi Leonard. USA Basketball reached out to each of them, but in the case of the three Warriors they have put a lot of miles on their bodies in recent years with five straight Finals appearances, and they wanted the summer to recover. Leonard is coming off a season where he and Toronto made the term "load management" famous (or, infamous), so it's not a surprise he didn’t accept (it is more than any issues with coach Gregg Popovich from his Spurs days).

LeBron James also decided not to play to rest his body (plus the timing of the event could push up against the shooting of “Space Jam 2” this summer). Russell Westbrook and Paul George also did not accept invitations, although both have represented the USA in the past.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/06/10/james-harden-anthony-davis-headline-invitees-to-usa-basketball-training-camp/

Reply #746836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one else will be added, Klay, Cousins, Kawhi all have free agency and injuries coming up, so would not want to take the risk

Curry has been there done that and is coming off 5 years of 100 plus games and also most likely battling some minor niggles.

That will be the squad, and is still very very good, do not under estimate it, most of those players are better than Ben Simmons who is our best, even if they dont have the name recognition as the Curry, Durant types.

My finals 12 would be something like

Davis/Drummond/Lopez
Love/Harris
Middleton/Tatum
Harden/Beal/Mitchell
Lillard/Walker

Basically all of those guys have been NBA All stars or have the potential to be an all star in the near future

Sure its missing a few and not the USA A team, but i dont see how that is anything bar star studded or how its seen as underwhelming.

Reply #746837 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

For those that are all sad because Curry, Durant, Westbrook etc aren't playing, chin up there is an Olympic tournament only just over a year away.

Can't see USA losing even with there so called B team.

Reply #746838 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

Unless someone from the Finals series comes in, it will be the B squad. And as good as they will be, it wouldn't completely surprise me if Australia stole a game against them in the warm ups.

I still really hope some 'names' come by, if only for the spectacle. This team is still going to be tough and the best team on paper at the tournament.

Reply #746843 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

http://www.aussiehoopla.com/kawhi-leonard-splash-brothers-mt-zion-still-sight-boomers-clash-melbourne/

Reply #746845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whether it is b, c, or d squad they will still be to good for anyone else.

Reply #746846 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm really not sure how hard this is to understand, the team that plays the Boomers here will be the final 12 man team picked from this squad of 20.

Reply #746848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Davis/Love
Millsap/Tatum
Middleton/Harris/Mitchell
Harden/McCollum/Beal
Lillard/Walker

Lots of big names missing but this is still an impressive lineup. Have to give the Aussies a sneaky chance against this group though. Probably our best chance to beat them.

Reply #746850 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

@food for thought.

That was kinda what i meant. Granted i didn't phrase it well. I meant it isn't the final WC squad. That some will be cut and a couple of others likely come in.

Well aware the vast majority of that squad is in the WC squad.

Sorry you took it the wrong way, thats mostly my bad for a response that i didnt really think too much about as i wrote it

Reply #746884 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

*couple of others "may" come in... not likely...

Fmd im doing well at typing...

Reply #746885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac actually making some sense.

Reply #746887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lot of nuffies on this forum. Players from the finals getting added after. Yep that'll certainly happen

Reply #746971 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

Thinking of international play (where NBA guys can usually play a position up):

AD/Turner
Harris/Love/Barnes
Middleton/Tucker
Harden/Beal
Lillard/Walker/Lowry

Stretchiness and switching players are my priority (in the absence of an elite 3). Looking for specific non-scoring roles to fill with spots 10-12 (Turner, Barnes, Lowry), with some defense to build around Harden.

Reply #746973 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:03 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754