D2.0
Years ago

Brexit?

I don't know, but I'm assuming guys who can get a UK passport would qualify to play as locals in the Euro Leagues?
(Notwithstanding that the UK league itself is WaP)

Not 100% sure, but I thought Brandt's parents might have been from the UK??

So anyway, assuming Brexit goes ahead (?) Does that mean Poms will nolonger qualify?

Topic #45453 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

It's complicated.

https://www.charlesrussellspeechlys.com/en/news-and-insights/blogs/brexit-implications-for-you-and-your-business/sports/

Reply #749705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brandt parents are Dutch, so he should have euro passport and yes an English passport would not be classed as European so you would be an import where before you would be a local with an English passport. Waiting to see what happens with the premier league.

Reply #749715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In this instance Joe Ingles wouldn't have been able to play in Europe as a local and probably wouldn't have made the NBA with just NBL experience.

Reply #749751 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Brandt parents are Dutch"

Ok, thanks, so he'll be fine regardless.

Anyone know of current or near future layers who might be affected??

Reply #749809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only players of English heritage, if you're of European heritage it should be no problem. I might also add that a lot of the euro countries have tightened their rules, so now if your grandparents were born over in Europe it doesn’t automatically give you citizenship. Most countries have cut off dates if your parents are Australian ie if your parents are born in Australia after 1960 to European parents they are not recognised as European unless they got duel passports at birth. Island is still part of Europe, it will effect only British countries. Hope this makes some sense.

Reply #749813 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

A good summary is found here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizenship_of_the_European_Union#Summary_of_member_states'_nationality_laws

Refer to Acquisition by descent column.

Reply #749841 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:29 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754