Anonymous
Years ago

Has anyone been successful getting a refund to WC Melbourne?

As per title

Topic #45584 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

No looking forward to it.

Reply #752975 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Was there anything in the smallprint or T&Cs that suggested it was a possibility

Reply #752986 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I don't see it happening. Nice thought though. But no, you're probably not getting anything without a class action lawsuit or something.

Reply #752996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was there anything in the smallprint or T&Cs that guaranteed anything better than the C grade team turning up?

Reply #752997 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

There was no way that the organisers would know that so much of USA team would pull out. They had reasonable grounds to expect that the players on their advertising had a good chance of playing. It's not like the teams are resting players. They are fielding their best team available. It is still the World Cup teams of Australia and USA playing, as advertised. It is still arguably the best Boomers team ever playing against the best that USA can offer, all quality NBA players, playing in the front of the largest crowd in a basketball event in Australia.

Expecting a refund is very optimistic. Perhaps if they offered some modest discount it would be a reasonably fair outcome.

Reply #753037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The promoters and other entities have made a number of misleading statements. That's against the law. I would be confident in getting a refund if I highlighted that, rather than just have a whinge that some big name players pulled out.

Reply #753046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every time a politician opens his mouth it's miss leading, good luck with that.

Reply #753049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok great comparison.

Reply #753060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please give some examples of these illegal misleading statements

Reply #753064 | Report this post

Fryz  
Years ago

Paul George was featured on their advertising posters despite never being on the WC squad.

Reply #753069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's just another fuck up by BA.

I would believe that they did knowingly make misleading statements inducing people to enter into contracts with them (buying a ticket). Proving that will be the difficult part. Only way would be through a 'class action’ type of action.

Seriously need the current board and execu to be cleaned out and start again. The CEO is a completely

Reply #753071 | Report this post

Krazy  
Years ago

Didn't buy tickets for that reason. ACCC would find many avenues to help enforce refunds. They seriously need to decrease the prices.

Reply #753072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And they proved that? Or like 99% of the posts on here, it was a troll.

Reply #753087 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Season tickets with Wiley in the team. SEM and their advertising and speech about Mitch Creek.
Imagine buying tickets to watch your Australian cricket heroes just prior to Sandpaper.
The poor crows fan who goes to 1 or 2 crows games to watch Eddy okay, then he is dropped.

I bought knowing the risks

Reply #753094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think 086 is trolling.

Reply #753095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you purchased those tickets thinking you were going to see James, Westbrook, Harden and all the other NBA Stars you were a dope ! rarely do they send full strength teams to WC !

Hence why I held off paying, happy to sit at home and watch the game on Kayo for $15 p/m ;p

Reply #753096 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm no legal expert

But I'd be very surprised if there was any reason they would be required to issue refunds. There's no real mischief here- they advertised based on the USA roster at the time. Perhaps optimistic to think that most of the stars would be there, but not illegally false or anything like that, I would think

Buyer beware.

I've got tickets. I'm looking forward to the game.

Reply #753113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They actually didn't. They advertised tickets while listing players who had already withdrawn. They also had graphics of players who pulled out early, or weren't in the squad at all. It may have been inadvertent but if anyone has bought tickets based on this and other misleading advertising then they are entitled to a refund. It's pretty simple.

Reply #753119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another LK special deal!

Reply #753126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did the pictures of players say "this bloke is coming"?

Reply #753127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The advertising was done before tickets went on sale, like it is always. It's been this way for years, what you get is what’s available. The US team will all get doctors certificates saying there unavailable same with Simmons, if a legal challenge is mounted, which it won’t that’s life. Next time McDonald’s sell you a burger you had better sue because it does not match the advertising.
I’m not a fan off the system but that’s how it’s been set up for decades, you reap what you sow.

Reply #753128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I buy tickets to an AC/DC concert and the Wiggles turn up.....I would expect a refund.

Reply #753129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But if a band member is replaced and ACDC still play, you're still seeing ACDC.

Just like this scenario. Except for the fact that a national team basketball roster can change whenever.

Reply #753133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good luck getting a refund for your boxing day test match tickets just because the selectors don't pick a few of your favourite players

Reply #753137 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

The US squad was announced in June. If the requirement on advertising was to only show photos of US players that were in the World Cup squad, they wouldn't have been able to show anyone until then. If this is a complaint, surely you must have bought tickets after June 11 -- and also neglected to pay attention to basketball news relating to the world cup.

Reply #753139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct RJD. The advertising showed players who have played for Team USA previously and therefore in all likelihood could again. For example the USA team that went to Spain in 2014 had:
Cousins
Curry
Thompson
Davis
Rose
DeRozen
Harden
Irving
Gay
Plumlee
Drummond
Faried

That's a team with some star names. So for the people above who say the USA do not usually send a strong team to the World Cup that is not entirely true

Reply #753140 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The battle will rage on, but I return to my point that FIBA is largely to blame for this.

Are NBA stars really going to play a World Cup one year, and the Olympics the next?

That would mean, potentially going from say September 2018 through to June 2021 without an extended break from basketball. Without a genuine off season- especially when many of these guys are on teams who can legitimately expect to go deep into the playoffs.

There may be other benefits of having a world cup in 2019, eg: Avoiding the soccer world cup. Maybe the tournament will be more competitive- the US won't dominate. But this is a trade off. Less players making themselves available.

Are Euro players also dropping out? Do their leagues also start in October and run through to June?

Reply #753152 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

(Legit question that was, not rhetorical)

Reply #753153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it called ACDC? Then its ACDC.

It might not have the band members you expected, but its ACDC.

Reply #753157 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"That's a team with some star names. So for the people above who say the USA do not usually send a strong team to the World Cup that is not entirely true"

At the time in 2014 that was seen as a US team missing most of their big names too.

Reply #753164 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

A lot of the big name Euro guys committed to the European qualifiers too. FIBA leagues typically take the World Cup seriously. They also accommodated the qualifiers mid-season. It's the NBAers that struggle.

FIBA has to realise that if they want the best players in the world to participate in the World Cup, they need to accommodate NBA players. That means not playing it so close to NBA pre-season and separating the Olympics and World Cup by two years to allow some rest time.

I can't think of a single legitimate reason to hold the World Cup in 2019 instead of 2018. The argument that it was avoiding the clash with the FIFA would cup doesn't hold up: the FIFA World Cup ended by mid-July.

Reply #753169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If I buy tickets to an AC/DC concert and the Wiggles turn up.....I would expect a refund."

True, but people have bought tickets to see the USA world cup team against the Australian boomers world cup team and that's who they'll see.

It's not like they've cancelled the games and instead they're having Australia v China or something instead.

Reply #753170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm disappointed about the US team, but actually keen to see the Boomers in action. Always love seeing them in international tournaments. Still hopeful they can crack a podium position with the group going to the WC and again the Olympics.

If there was any wiggle room, maybe moving to a smaller venue would be appropriate, can foresee a pretty embarassing turn out.

Reply #753172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

However rjd Euroleague did not have a break in their schedule for any of the World Cup Qualifying windows.

Reply #753178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find the reason they did move (to not clash with FIFA) was so they could have clear air all year without competing with FIFA marketing/advertising/media coverage etc

Reply #753179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of straw man arguments in here. A McDonald's burger not looking the same as it’s advertisement if very different to a $500 ticket to see an event that is dissimilar to its advertisements.

Reply #753202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I bet you a lot people spend more the $500 a year on McDonald's, and are ripped off slowly instead of one large hit. It’s all false advertising, no matter where you look, let’s face it some fat arse who still owes wages to many people in Queensland probably won the last election on BS advertising.

Reply #753203 | Report this post

Cool Howie  
Years ago

If you say we shouldn't get a refund then go chomp on an anus. This is a joke and I'm not going to put up with this BS!!

Reply #753216 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

What about those that paid up to $4k for court side seats and/or those that booked flights and accommodation.
Might as well fly to the US and watch a game there for the same amount of money.

Reply #753228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ exactly! They have more dollars than sense

Reply #753233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are a decent number of the 4k and 2k seats still unsold. There's no way they sell at those prices now.

Reply #753247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just don't understand how you would part with that sort of money to see an exhibition game !

Those guys where never going to play given the Olympics are next year ... its is still branded as the USA team so good luck getting a refund.

Reply #753318 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

its only a few K which isn't much for a premium seat at a major event.

The issue is they sold it as the stars are coming out and the Boomers will have Simmons.

Reply #753331 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:32 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754