D2.0
Years ago

WC: Boomers v Lithuania

Like every game, this is a must win.
Two teams will go into the next round with 3 wins, and we need to be one of them.

I have a bad feeling, particularly concerning our lack of size, and Landale's poor defense. Unless something changes, we're going to get smashed on the boards.

Does Lamanis have anything he can afford to unveil this early in the tourney?
Somebody suggested playing B1 & B2 together. Maybe that's something to try, at least for a couple of minutes??
Or (and I can't believe I'm about to suggest this) do we start Kay??
It has become increasingly evident that he is so much better defensively than Landale.
Are we better off with Landale coming off the bench, where potentially he gets more opportunity to excel offensively??

Topic #45847 | Report this topic

ME  
Years ago

I can't point at any particular part of the game with confidence and say "here's the problem" and "here's the potential fix". Because the Boomers right now are operating at a level where it's hard to know what you're going to actually get from them within a single game, let alone knowing what adjustments to make.

If we don't have the same size, you'd assume we'd exploit our full court pressure and try to run the kind of game that helped us beat them in Rio. But can that even work for us at this point in time when everyone seems to be brainfarting holes in their hats? We seem to be missing defensive rotations and playing with sub-optimal energy and intent.

I have a feeling the Boomers may be two weeks late in starting their preparation and now they're being asked to put the pedal to the metal just a little early. If you read through this article it sounds like they're having issues that should have been dealt with during the Canada warm up games.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27526793/boomers-struggling-find-world-cup-consistency

In this campaign we've had moments of brilliance (defeating Team USA) and moments of absolute woefulness (Senegal game), and finding consistency is not a simple or easy thing. It is possible that the Boomers step up to the challenge and beat Lithuania tomorrow, but it is probably more likely that we lose tomorrow night and "maybe" find our feet in the second pool. Either way, future is looking pretty damn hazy for this team at the moment.

We might have 2 wins under our belt and be "undefeated" but this campaign is starting to look more like one of what could have been when the dust settles. I want to be proven wrong but we are not playing like medal contenders at this point. We could have underestimated our opponent in Senegal. We could be asking too much of our main players in minutes. But between the 3rd quarter lull against Canada and the entire game against Senegal, the red lights are flashing on this team.

The only saving grace I see is that we somehow pulled victory from the jaws of defeat in both games. That shows that there is some mettle there to work with. But can they bring that for 40 minutes against Lithuania? I'd love to say yes, but wouldn't go betting my house on it.

Reply #760011 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

1) Taking care of the ball - far too many turnovers from bad passes/careless ball handling
2) Rebounds - when Boomers get lazy they give up offensive rebounds
3) Defending the perimeter properly

Those are diligence/effort things.

The other factor is shooting, Boomers have been hot and cold, if they go cold that will be majorly problematic because they are not great at engineering easy baskets when they go cold.

Lithuania and France are ridiculously talented, Boomers won't need to just play well, they will need to play out of their socks

Reply #760012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are the Boomers so poorly rated? On paper we have the second most talented squad with the second most NBA players covering all positions. We have a core in Bogut, Ingles, Mills and Delly who have been playing together for over 10 years. Baynes who has also had a long campaign with this core. I would've thought we were the team to watch.

Reply #760013 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Boomers are highly rated, but so are 8 other sides

Reply #760014 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Why are the Boomers so poorly rated? On paper we have the second most talented squad"

I don't agree. I would say there are a number of teams with as much talent as us. We are up there for talent, but not clear of the pack by any means.

Reply #760015 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

How many of our NBA players are 'money men' in the NBA, the guys you go to when you need a bucket? Mills and Ingles .. barely.

And when you look beyond the NBA players at benches, our guys are NBL whereas the Euro teams are full of Euro-league players, a much tougher league, and they play in tough Euro tournaments every year.

Reply #760016 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus sees a big difference so far between the Booners and the medal contenders. Nostraballmus would like to think Lemanis has something up his sleeve but doubts it big time.

Reply #760017 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Some of these things you guys are saying were factors when we played in Rio but we were one call away from a medal and we did beat Serbia in the first game, France, Lithuania, etc.

I think the bigger issue here is that we still haven't gelled and figured it out as a team.

Reply #760018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many 'money men' are on the other countries lists? Giannis, Jokic, Gobert? Not many and those teams are not very well balanced. If these euro players were as talented as the NBA guys they’d be NBA guys too.

Reply #760020 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I am going to suggest the Boomers have been holding back and have only gone all in twice since the friendlies started.

This squad has handled Lithuania reasonably well in the recent past and that will continue tomorrow. Boomers betwèen 4-9 is my prediction

Reply #760021 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Some euros dont want to play in the states. Simple.

Reply #760022 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I do think they are being underrated slightly. They clearly came out expecting a win last night but they usually turn up for the big games. I expect it will be very tight and could legitimately go either way. I can see sabonis being a problem however.

Reply #760023 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Just watching Italy V Serbia....Boomers are simply not deep enough to medal in this competition....the work load will take its toll on our NBA guys.

Reply #760025 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Depends how deep those teams are actually going. Are they going deeper than we are really? Do they play their 10th/12th men?

Reply #760026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lithuania are favourites by the bookies. Just

Reply #760027 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I really hope that we are holding a lot back because I do agree it's hard to imagine we're as bad as we look

Reply #760028 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

With so many discussions being posted and i still can't believe no one has said this yet.....

"Lets turn to nostraballmus for the answer"

Would be a great segment on overtime!!

Reply #760029 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Lithuania are favourites by the bookies. Just

AUS odds on the drift now.

Reply #760035 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yeah,
Proper passing, cut the turnovers
Rebounds!
Defence!

Reply #760039 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I've been speaking to someone who is somewhat on the inside of this squad and they've told me that things are actually going to plan so far.

That might be hard to imagine but they've told me that the Boomers weren't made with the USA, Canada or Senegal in mind, but tough European teams. This team was made to be the antidote to them, and therefore don't match up particularly well with teams who play the opposite way (heaps athletic, a lot of pick and rolls etc).

The plan is to play European teams full court in traps and presses and force them to waste their clock and disrupt their offense. The reason we haven't done much of this to date is because more athletic and Americanized teams are better at dealing with that kind of pressure and can often turn it into quick points.

Offensively, we're going to rely on our outside shooting. We currently shoot at 40 percent from the outside but shoot twice as many three point shots as the Lithuanians who average only 30 percent from outside. Every threepoint shot is obviously an extra point. And we are going to depend on our high IQ players to also get us high percentage looks inside, with not a whole lot of emphasis on penetration, but passing and off-the-ball movement.

He said that basically, the Boomers have been playing against a style they weren't designed to match up on, and while it's been ugly, they're 2-0 in the W/L column so things are chugging along just fine in his opinion.

Hopefully we can see fruits of this gameplan tomorrow.

Reply #760052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

for players from europe, greater prestige is playing in the Euroleague than in nba. It's hard to play in Europe, more contact, more physical. Many NBA players would not manage in Europe. The NBA is actually When Amazing Happens, but despite everything, for me as a basketball connoisseur, the most pleasant to watch the European Championship! This is the quintessence of a good, well-arranged basket.
at the moment we are far behind Serbia, Lithuania or Spain

Reply #760054 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

ME, Thanks for the insight but surely a good coach can adapt to what's put in front of them.
Are you saying we have zero athletes in our squad?

Reply #760058 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I don't agree. I would say there are a number of teams with as much talent as us. We are up there for talent, but not clear of the pack by any means.

Agreed. So this must mean our team compilation and coaching puts us over the top. Shock horror, Lemanis isn't horrible. Watch us beat Lithuania and people jump on the Lemanis train.

Let's face it, Andrej is about the best coach we can ask for to fit the team of players Australia has at the top level right now. His shuffle kills other teams, so many wrinkles in his bag too

Reply #760059 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus sees that we need answers. He reassures you that all will be revealed tonite. And it will be a picture of some beauty. The tall ones from the south will rise in sweet harmony. They will share the round idol as never before seen. And from afar they shall launch the idol to the amazement of the world of tree-like ones. He who Mills and Son of Bus Driver will amaze. But it shall be He Who Cut His Hair whom The Great One's Son & Co will not consider. Alas, beware the The Great Ones Son as the apples falls near the tree. And while the tall ones from the south will rise, their rise will fall just short. He who seeks to defeat their enemy must know their enemy and it is seen the southern tall ones have chosen to not even see those of Eurokind since the battle of Rio. And the Southern tall ones, while big in heart are short in number of quality warriors who begin seared. Alas, Nostraballmus fears the Southern Guru will this be found out again.

Enjoy the battle my friends, for Nostraballmus sees that you are all lovers of the Game of Everybody (over 183cm).

Reply #760060 | Report this post

joe  
Years ago

I think it's way more interesting to watch the boomers than other teams. In the NBA they dribble it around a screen and jack one up. Yawn. Australia plays team ball. They make the extra pass. They set screens and reward the cutter. Lots of alley oops. Lots of dunks. Lots of screens and cuts. Lots of great passes. They play with their heads up. They play the way the game should be played. They seem to really like one another and play that way. Anyone that says they don't have great coaches doesn't know much about the game. I've talked to a lot of coaches and none of them want this 4 year commitment with no pay. So anyone that says we need a new coach, lets see their list and the coaches who are willing to commit. Otherwise you are just talking out your ass.

Reply #760061 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus sees that we need a new Guru only if the current Guru cannot deliver coveted metal with a golden generation of warriors

If Djordjevic hadn't delivered metal with the current Serbian crop would he still be their Guru ?

Reply #760062 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

But refrain my friends, the battle is nigh, go the BoomBoys

Reply #760063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do the Boomers coaches not get paid ? Are they all voluntary positions ???? WTF ?

Reply #760064 | Report this post

Jackson  
Years ago

food stipend. Usually ends up costing the coaches money to do this thing.

Reply #760075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It seemed to me that we didn't really run much set team offense against Senegal, think that might start to ramp up now that it is basically win or go home.

Reply #760079 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Boomers glaring issue in all games in the past few weeks have been unforced turnovers. Sort this out and we don't need an ace up the sleeve... but maybe we still have one.

Reply #760085 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

We need to play like tonight is a medal game. Hide nothing, run our best sets, and worry about the future games when they come.

Offensively under Lemanis I think we run some great stuff, especially with Bogut as the screener. Goulding and Mills can generate scoring out of nothing and Landale has been pretty great outside of last game. I'm OK if I never see another Baynes shot-put looking hookshot, but hey, he converts enough dunks around the hoop to let me see past it.

Defensively I don't know if it's the guys we have or the coaching but I'm nowhere near as sold on that end of the court. It looked like none of our guys knew anything about the Senegalese players. Individually some of our guys are doing great defensively, but our team defense is still shaky. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I've been particularly impressed by Goulding's on-ball D. Combined with his more diverse offensive game inside the arc, I feel like I'm watching a different player.

Reply #760094 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Rebounding is an issue.

Start Bogut and Baynes to counter Valanciunus and Sabonis?

I'm quietly confident. Could go either way but we did smash these guys in Rio. (Although a much younger Sabonis, and no Valanciunus from memory?).

Boomers weren't on their game vs Senegal. An optimistic interpretation might be that we got our bad game out of the way early! It's very hard to play well every night and win 7 in a row.

Reply #760114 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Wait, that'd be 8 in a row?

Btw, love this new pooling system. Extra game in the round of 16!

Reply #760115 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Yeah every team has at least one terrible game per tournament. In Rio it was against Serbia, but hopefully ours just passed.

I also believe we can do this. But for me, this is game 1 of the real cup. I actually expect us to throw things at Lithuania that we didn't to our first two foes.

Don't be surprised if we go deeper into our bench.

Reply #760124 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It's quite a good system.
It's always difficult to balance the pool stage. Make them too big, and you get too many dud games, and then teams playing silly-buggers. Too small, and either you don't cut enough teams, or you find that one bad game can send a good team out early.
Here, you effectively have a pool of 8 teams, narrowed down to 2, with 4 going out early.
It's good that even though both teams already know they're going through, the pressure is still on to win, and nobody is trying to engineer opponents for the next round.

Reply #760125 | Report this post

Hroz  
Years ago

Why are we so lowly rated?

Well we aren't to begin with

We are normally rated anywhere from 3rd to 8th

USA Serbia are obviously the 2 most talented teams.

Greece has the best NBA player in the WC(though his game hasn't Totally translated to FIBA)

France has Gobert who's all NBA player. Plus Batum Fournier 2 starters in their teams. Plus 2 other NBA players (5) (with Bogut not having a contract atm we only have 4)

Spain have Gasol Rubio Hermangomez and Llull(could easily play in the NBA if he wants, though not as good after his injury)

Lithuania has 2 players in Jonas & Sabonis who are probably considered better than our best players)

Argentina has always been a top team. Italy have Gallo(just missed being an all star in the West) and Bellineli a great shooter.

Reply #760126 | Report this post

Miloš Obilić  
Years ago

Who suggested Boomers are underrated? All the signals I'm seeing for months is that we are medal contenders with the most talented NBA players.

Very bad that Boomers did not play against European teams in preparation. One loss against a Germany team that's turned out to be overrated. Could go very pear shaped against the good European teams.

Reply #760132 | Report this post

serballin  
Years ago

Nostraballmus gotta call you out. Djordjevic hasn't delivered metal? Umm... second in last Worlds, second in Olympics, second in Euros (with a third string lineup). Silver is still a metal bro.

Australia will lose by 10-15. Oceania bball is above Asia and Africa, but not close to Europe or the Americas.

Reply #760148 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Serballin has misunderstood Nostraballmus. Easy Sir, you arent the first to not understand the ramblings of the 'Ballmus. Nostraballmus said if Djordji HADN'T delivered those bits of metal would he still be there ? Nostraballmus thinks not. But our Southern Guru remains in situ despite two failed campaigns and is contracted to lead us to the Great Battle of Tokyo. Nostraballmus hopes that tonites battle brings promise of the Guru and his BoomBoys being able to truly compete with the Great Tribes of the Round Ball.

Reply #760175 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Start Bogut and Baynes to counter Valanciunus and Sabonis? "

Their bigs can also shoot, so it's an extra concern getting Bogut and Baynes to close out. This game definitely is an opportunity for Lemanis to flex his coaching muscles. Lots of challenges to deal with. Regardless, I'm sure the critics will come out in full force if Boomers lose, and not give Lemanis any credit if they win.

Lithuania are firming as clear favourites now at 1.58.

Reply #760176 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Love your work rjd. Nostraballmus agrees and would like to add 'cometh the hour, cometh the man'.

Reply #760185 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Don't know how anyone calls Lemanis' campaigns failures. Over-performed every time

Reply #760187 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Greggo, luv ya work.
We all know Nostraballmus is a bloody right w**ker right but I reckons he calls 'em failures cause we ain't won nuffin' when we fink we should. Should we fink dat tho ? or we happy wif 4th-12th and good 'ol plucky Ozzie underdog performances eh cobber ? Finkin we cood maybe win somefin dese days when most our blokes in da big show now but 'Ballmus has probs got his head up his clacker right

Reply #760190 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I'm actually not sure how anyone can really dispute Lemanis' record. We came within a point of top 8 in 2014 when we were missing Patty Mills and Andrew Bogut - an over-achievement in my view. We got within a point of Bronze in Rio and we smashed France, beat Serbia (in the first game anyway), almost beat USA, and smashed Lithuania - all teams that were technically more talented than us. And so far in this tournament we're undefeated and have qualified for the second round. It hasn't looked as convincing as Lithuania has but the Ws are on the board.

I don't see where the under-achievement is. And if we manage to make top 8 in this tournament, all things considered, we will actually have probably fulfilled our talent potential and anything beyond that would be an absolute bonus. I'd love a medal but we do have to be realistic about our bench depth. Maybe we actually can do something in this tournament but we haven't been without our issues in preparation.

Reply #760193 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

I'm with you ME. Though France and Lithuania are as tough as anyone in the tourney really, so if we can get over one of them, a medal becomes a good chance

Reply #760195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with both Gregg's and Me. Australia under Lemanis have been very good.

Reply #760197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Boomers have been playing down to the level of their competition, not ideal. Let's see if they step it up against Lithuania like they did vs USA. Those lapses we had against Canada and lack of effort against Senegal will be unsurmountable tonight.

Reply #760200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Insurmountable* oops

Reply #760201 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

What I think I've seen from the Boomers, and what seems to be behind all of the issues on court for me, is a lack of mental focus. When you're 20 ahead of Canada and when you expect to eventually get one over Senegal that is understandable, if not ideal. Hopefully the boys are dialed in from the start in this game.

Reply #760211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME's earlier comment about the Boomers internal progress is a interesting one. The Tall Blacks full court press embarrassed Montenegro at times. I can see how a similar strategy against Lithuania could be very successful.

Reply #760214 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"Are you saying we have zero athletes in our squad?"

Thunder Jam - I'd say that the Boomers don't have a particularly athletic roster this time around. In particular, there's not much speed or agility in the front court. Not surprising with having lost Cooks to injury as well as Simmons and Bolden to personal priorities. Landale is probably our most athletic big and he hasn't looked particularly athletic or agile in the couple of games I've seen him play.

ME's source's comments make the team selections and omissions a bit more understandable.

Reply #760215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any particular reason australia's Odds have gone to shit over the last day

Reply #760220 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The market believed LTU's opening odds were too generous therefore the weight of money was too heavy on that side causing the odds to drop. It is an opinion though - that's why the games are played for real and not on paper.

Reply #760222 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Good start. DAT angle though, director asleep.

Reply #760224 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

WTF did Heal say after the dunk replay?

Reply #760225 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Never that floating cam again please

Reply #760226 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Damn that 3 point shooting.

Reply #760227 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Kay 2/2 100% 4pts

Reply #760228 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

QT AUS 27-19 LTU

Kay and Goulding 100% FG

#NBL

Reply #760230 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Awkward final play for the quarter.

The movement off the ball is 100% better than the game against Senegal. Only a couple actual low percentage shots were taken deep in the shot clock.

Reply #760232 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Intensity great. still struggling to defend the high screen. Great start though.

Reply #760233 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What is the point of IRS when refs deny a review? Useless and arrogant fficiating

Reply #760234 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

officiating*

Reply #760235 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Kaaay

Reply #760236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay is carrying the boomers

Reply #760237 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Nick "400" Kay shocking the world.

Reply #760238 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Baynes from three :D

Reply #760239 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Kay's been defending well, but "carrying"? Please. He's finishing uncontested layups. Credit to Ingles etc. for creating advantages.

Reply #760240 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Where's the foul on the follow-through on the Baynes 3? If he was a guard, that'd be called.

Reply #760241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baynes beasting :D

Reply #760242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We going all the way boys

Reply #760243 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

We are just 9 up after shooting the lights out from 3. Don't get too excited.

Reply #760244 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Stream if anyone needs it: http://nbastreams.xyz/live/1/

Reply #760245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks, Isaac. Not all heroes wear capes!

Reply #760246 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

lol, Bogut "has a good Chinese fan base here"

Reply #760247 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Baynes beast mode.

Reply #760248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ARON 'ONE A' BAYNES

Reply #760249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strong finish by Baynes. I have no idea how Ingles threaded that through to him either!

Reply #760250 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

HT AUS 52-41 LTU

Please no third quarter fadeout.

Reply #760251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baynes brings great energy

Reply #760252 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Good half. Would've been better if they hadn’t coughed up those two late turnovers.

Reply #760253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please can Patty Mills not get scored on for one offence

Reply #760254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut is being eaten alive by Sabontis

Reply #760255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek doing well, good to see.

Reply #760256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RE" Mills defence. do the commentators not see it. For fucks sake it is terrible

Reply #760257 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Mills offers speed that the Lithuanian guards have struggled against. Even just the off-the-ball movement by Mills has been valuable in creating opportunities for others.

Reply #760258 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

9/14 for 3s, without Ingles or Goulding providing any... yet.

Reply #760259 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Don't forget we got robbed by one awful call, the put-back that hit the rim.

Reply #760260 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

How's the fitness of Mills at this time of year? He's played over 18 minutes. Lemanis isn't going beyond Goulding for bench guards.

Reply #760261 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Meanwhile NZL down 8pts already.

Reply #760262 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Is our game plan to let Lithuanians to shoot mid-range jumpers? Lithuania going 8/11 from 14-22ft.

Reply #760263 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

SOrry, that should be 6/9. Not as bad.

Reply #760264 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Start of the third is so important. Please win this quarter by atleast 6.

Dont think we will take any chances with resting rotations, the win here is a golden ticket out of the next group

Reply #760265 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Well said Btown. This is crucial.

Reply #760266 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Sloppy start. Lots of physical stuff from the Lithos.

Reply #760267 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Argh, 0-5 to start the third.

Reply #760268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills offers quickness that Lithuania can't handle???
They all seem to handle it on the other end

Reply #760269 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

"Is our game plan to let Lithuanians to shoot mid-range jumpers? Lithuania going 8/11 from 14-22ft."

Bogut is slow, Mills is short, Kay and Landale can barely get off the ground.

Kinda have to live with that sort of thing.

Reply #760270 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Kay does a good job of defending the high on ball.

Reply #760271 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Nick Kay, the boy from Tamworth.

Reply #760272 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Geez, how is bogut such a weakness in the post.

Reply #760273 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

3QT AUS 68-60 LTU

-3pts differential in that quarter

Reply #760274 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

Do all the Euro teams practice their complaining? They all have that arms out neck in pose.

Reply #760275 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Genuinly worried. We need 4th qtr patty to show up.

Reply #760276 | Report this post

Hroz  
Years ago

Bogut looking old

Maker vs Bogut for backup C next year will be interesting.

Reply #760277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cmon Boomers ! Can do it !

Reply #760278 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Sabonis has been torching him. This is a step up in level from NBL and Canada/Senegal.

Reply #760279 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Kay playing well but he shouldny be out there in these crucial minutes

Reply #760281 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Agreed, get Kay off. Lead all but gone.

Reply #760283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, this game means so much but they play like it doesn't.

Reply #760284 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Here comes the choke

Reply #760285 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Lead cut to 3.

Reply #760286 | Report this post

adam  
Years ago

If Shane Heal says "Don't worry about that" one more time, why I'm gonna.....

Reply #760287 | Report this post

Hroz  
Years ago

Ah......

Terrible starts to 3rd and 4th

Now they need to answer like they did in the 3rd

Reply #760288 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I'm scared now.

Reply #760289 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Shovel pass to baynes on the perimeter was pointless, stupid turnoverw

Reply #760290 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

The bloody turnovers. Seriously.

Reply #760291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills is an absolute expert at running into screens and then throwing his head back like he has been hit. Then he gets scored on

Reply #760293 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Don't pass the ball to Kay unless he can make a routine pass or uncontested finish. Please.

Reply #760294 | Report this post

Hroz  
Years ago

Patty's height just being exploited here

Reply #760295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And another score. Don't care what he scores, get him the fuck off

Reply #760296 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Boomers getting nothing from offense in the last few minutes

Reply #760297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nightmare 4th qtr

Reply #760298 | Report this post

Hroz  
Years ago

Well done Creek

Reply #760299 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

We always have to do everything the hard way.

Reply #760300 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Bogut fouls out.

Reply #760301 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Bogut done.

Reply #760302 | Report this post

Hroz  
Years ago

3pts

Plenty of time

Shots will drop eventually just lock down defensively.

Reply #760303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pathetic coaching by lemanis in the last 1/4.

Reply #760304 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

We still haven't scored?

Reply #760305 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Stopped moving and making the extra pass on offense. No wonder we cant score

Reply #760306 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Correct.

Reply #760307 | Report this post

Hroz  
Years ago

Play Ingles at the 4

Reply #760308 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Finally a score!

Reply #760309 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

We will have to do this from the line as we are unable to score from the field!

Reply #760310 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wow LTU keeping us in it.

Reply #760311 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Baynes with our first FG in this quarter. Only took 7mins.

Reply #760312 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Jock has ice on his groin, the win just became a lot more important

Reply #760313 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Great D by Delly. There's hope yet.

Reply #760314 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

I love this team. They fight all the way.

Reply #760315 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Mills has balls.

Reply #760316 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

OMG what a miss by Sabonis.

Reply #760317 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Gus with the best comment from all the multiple Boomers threads.

Reply #760318 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Nick Kay 11pts.

Reply #760319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay in beast mode

Reply #760320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who would have thought 12 months agl we would have Kay shooting clutch freethrows against a team like Lithuania.

Reply #760321 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Nick motherf'ckin Kay.

Reply #760322 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Kay haters gone quiet.

Reply #760323 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Fuck yeah

Reply #760324 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

MILLS BEAST MODE

4pt play

Yessssssssssss

Reply #760325 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Patrick Clutch Mills

Reply #760327 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Thats the 4th quarter patty i asked for

Reply #760328 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

OMG it's happening!

Reply #760329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

patty fuckin mills

Reply #760330 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

How was that not a foul on the Mills three?

Still Creek hits these we win. Possible USF review.

Reply #760331 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

USF on LTU

yessssssssssssssssssss

Reply #760332 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Sack Litho coach....

Reply #760333 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Can we get Heal to sack him?

Reply #760334 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Stop calling us as home.

Reply #760335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ going well against Greece, down by 6 with 2.5min to go in the 3rd

Reply #760336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not over yet. Need to hit FT to secure this win. Anything can happen

Reply #760338 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

FT AUS 87-82 LTU

Reply #760339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure it is over yet

Reply #760340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nick Kay is NBA ready

Reply #760341 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Now you can call it.

You bloody beauty!!!!

Reply #760342 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Finally i have seen a boomers side beat lithuania

Reply #760343 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

We did at Olympics already.

Reply #760344 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

They have beaten them a few times recently.

Reply #760346 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Can we swap out Patty at the defensive end each play?

Reply #760347 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Finally i have seen a boomers side beat lithuania
Are toddlers allowed on here?

Reply #760348 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

What a game! 1st half Boomers couldn't miss. 2nd half all grit. Never, ever change this team.

Reply #760349 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Couple of shaky moments but held their ground. Creek is not always a confident FT shooter but solid in this one when it counted. Man, Patty and Delly work hard for the Boomers - just run and run. Their and Ingles' NBA confidence is invaluable on this stage.

Reply #760350 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Clearly i wiped the olympics for memory

Reply #760351 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Kay goes 2/2 FT down the stretch. #NBLpoise

Reply #760352 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Creek and Kay both with huge clutch free-throws.

Reply #760353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dominic guards wo be tough for us, got no bigs though.

Reply #760354 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

Nothing better than international hoops

Reply #760355 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

NZL only down by 5pts. #Olympics

Reply #760356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see Creek do well. 9 men roster now. Lemanis pulling all the right strings now. Where is Makur and Dave. The World Cup better than nba, true basketball.

Reply #760357 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Our next two:

7th vs. DOM
9th vs. FRA

Reply #760358 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Group of death hey.
Trash NBL players hey.

Reply #760359 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

The Boomers suck. Sack Lemanis ;)

Reply #760360 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I'm feeling pretty smug. Now the doubters can buggar off for a few days and go troll a whitegoods forum

Reply #760361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Renew Lemanis' Contract

Reply #760362 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Lemanis needs to work out how to stop the bleeding when we fall asleep offensively.
If we do that when we arnt up like against canada or lithunia it will cost a game.

Reply #760363 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Boomers addressed some of the main concerns from recent games. Intensity was far, far better. We out-rebounded Lithuania 40-32, giving up 9 o-boards. Although 21/30 baskets were assisted, we still had 15 turnovers. We also had another lengthy offensive lapse to start a quarter.

After starting 9/14 for 3s in the first half, then went 2/12 in the 2nd half.

Reply #760364 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

This Boomers team just does a lot of things right. Tremendous defence, hustle and grit by Delly, Ingles and Baynes and great poise down the stretch from a number of players.

Baynes was an absolute beast today and his three point shooting was an added bonus. I'd like to see Ingles score more as his only score tonight came from his final free throws but he's like a conductor out there orchestrating every play.

The only thing that concerns me is when things get tough we don't have an out an out scorer to create their own shot consistently. Mills is probably the best we have but if he gets shut down the scoring really dries up.

Reply #760366 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Lithuania did well to ramp up their physicality on defense, and start switching or showing on-balls. Outside of Ingles, Goulding and Mills we struggle for shot creation. It's very Spurs-like, in that we WANT teams to help and recover - trusting that our spacing, ball movement and shooting will generate good looks. By switching and showing, we became very stagnant.

In those moments, Lemanis could go with the old adage of giving your best player the ball in a situation they thrive in, and let them go to work. I'd love us to just space the floor and give Ingles a high on-ball or handoff when our offense isn't flowing.

Hopefully we learn and adjust against the better teams. Overall: good win. Can't afford those quarter-long lapses if we want to win a medal, but otherwise showing we're a legit medal contender once again.

Reply #760372 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Mills is probably the best we have but if he gets shut down the scoring really dries up."

This reflects Mills +16 for this game. The team was -11 in 5 minutes while Mills rested.

Reply #760373 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

I wouldnt count on baynes, landale and kay combining for 6? 3s again.

We struggled to get goulding involved for scoring off the bench. With ingles not scoring till those last free throws we lacked a whole lotta punch.

Reply #760383 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

"I wouldnt count on baynes, landale and kay combining for 6? 3s again."
... and I wouldn't count on Ingles and Goulding not scoring freely, again. Some-one always stepping up for the Boomers. Also like the way we have been finding the hot hand repeatedly.

Thought the reffing in this one surprisingly un-good/sloppy.

Reply #760389 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

The Boomers are coming into their stride now but one trend I've noticed over the games, even the poor ones, is we've always managed to find a new contributer and a different hero. Tonight, if you look at the whole game, it was Baynes. Last time, Ingles. Delly against Canada. Patty v USA.

Reply #760393 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Kay should have had 13 points if you count the score in Q2 when the ref's were too lazy to check the replay after baynes 3 clipped the ring.

Reply #760395 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Mills is carrying this team, +45 over 3 games
Ingles quieter tonight, but still +33
Baynes +31
Delly +30
Nic Kay +34

Landale -4

Reply #760397 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

We've seen Baynes show off his perimeter shot in the NBA for a while now, but I still can't believe that *that* jumpshot is now so effective. It looks so mechanical and awkward. You see someone shoot with that kind of motion at any social league level and you are going to think the shot was a fluke if it goes in, let him try again.

Now Baynes is drawing some serious defensive attention, not to be left open.

Reply #760399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew you can't use the replay to check that so it isn’t being lazy

Reply #760400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nostraballmus sees a medal caliber performance by a medal caliber team. Credit is due to all and Nostraballmus congrats all, Guru included, on finding a way to win.

Alas more battles are upon us. We've been here before. We can win a medal from here and also can still finish 16th.

Time for another medal winning caliber performance v Dom, a win by 45+ would be nice.

Reply #760406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME said "I have a feeling the Boomers may be two weeks late in starting their preparation and now they're being asked to put the pedal to the metal just a little early.

" but it is probably more likely that we lose tomorrow night and "maybe" find our feet in the second pool. Either way, future is looking pretty damn hazy for this team at the moment."

"I really hope that we are holding a lot back because I do agree it's hard to imagine we're as bad as we look"

"I think the bigger issue here is that we still haven't gelled and figured it out as a team."

What ever you post from now on is meaningless. I thought it at the time you wrote that pointless diatribe.

Meaningless and clueless.

Reply #760409 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus sees that at least ME posts under a name. All power to him, always provides an informed and interesting viewpoint. All power to ya ME.

I'd prefer you to call someone out under an interesting and quirky ball related moniker at least peeps.

Nostraballmus reminds us all that we ain’t won nothin yet and we were as close as a Sabonis gimme from an L. We move into round 2 with far poorer points % than France and Lithuania.
All power to the BoomBoys for a gr8 win. If they have shown medal winning capability - if - time push on and now deliver one. We’ve finished 4th or worse many times.

Reply #760410 | Report this post

Miloš Obilić  
Years ago

Watching Joe Ingles is like watching your dad go out and smash it.

Reply #760416 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Lithuania were terrible from the 3pt line against the Boomers so it left me wondering why we continued to go over the screen and not under it on the screen and roll so we could prevent the mid range pull ups they were hitting time and time again. On top of that where was the scouting report to stay down on the Sabonis pump fakes? He isnt the most athletic guy getting around so you shouldnt be biting on those fakes as much as we did.

Great to see the win from the Boomers, 3-0 has put us in a good position going forward as France will be tough to beat.

Reply #760456 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"We move into round 2 with far poorer points % than France and Lithuania."

Unless FIBA have made a massive change, overall points differential only comes into play if the head-to-head and points differential between the tied teams is even.

Under the usual FIBA rules, in case of a tiebreaker with France and Lithuania, we are currently +5 and Lithos are -5. As such, if Lithuania beat France and we lost to Les Bleus, if our loss is by a small margin we would be top 2 in that tiebreak and go through.

Reply #760458 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"What ever you post from now on is meaningless. I thought it at the time you wrote that pointless diatribe.

Meaningless and clueless."

Oh definitely meaningless. I mean, you, who has no name and can't be held to account for ever being inaccurate, have never been proven wrong before I'm guessing.

Reply #760461 | Report this post

maxymoo  
Years ago

Kay was important in that win.

It aint fantasy basketball haters.

Reply #760473 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Lithuania need more NBL players

Reply #760474 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Kay was important in that win.

It aint fantasy basketball haters.

"

Kay was massive. So was Mitch Creek. We're getting pretty good mileage out of our NBL guys all things considered.

Reply #760477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Lithuania were terrible from the 3pt line against the Boomers so it left me wondering why we continued to go over the screen and not under it"

Possibly that's what stopped them getting good looks from 3p and shooting a better percentage. From all the time I've watched the Lithos, the last thing you want to do is get into rotations against them (and most European teams), and I thought the Boomers did a great job of sticking to their rules defensively.

If you take away the 20 points off turnovers Lithuania got, I thought the Boomers half-court defence was very good for the most part. You can't shut down everything against elite teams, but the Aussies did a good job of taking away threes, free throws and offensive rebounds - great effort.

Reply #760482 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Agree with above post, Andrej's game style is to disrupt teams and push them away from where they want to go. Going under the screens would have worked in their favour and so the Boomers pushed the Lithuanians into taking two point baskets given this was the lesser of the two poisons (i.e. 5, 2 point baskets being taken instead of 5, 3 point baskets)

Reply #760484 | Report this post

Miloš Obilić  
Years ago

So good that Australia didn't get tempted into run and gun when things started to turn. Very good tactical match by Australia so credit to Lemanis.

Reply #760485 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

The two times I can recall Boomers going under the screens rather than over Lithuania comfortably splashed a three. I think it was a case of picking your poison.

Reply #760494 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Lithuania kill you with threes and dunks, they just build so much momentum from them with their crowd. Aussies help and recover was consistent and impressive.

Reply #760496 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Kay submitting his application for more minutes, again. Also making a statement for the now silent no-NBL-players critics in this forum. Kay is going to be exposed against athletes. This is most obvious against North American and African teams, exactly all the teams we have gone up against before Lithuania. He should be better suited going up against the less athletic Euros.

Our 2 main 4-men combining for 21 points on 8/13 (including 3/5 from 3pt) and 6 boards in 38 minutes. A bit light in the rebounding department, but you can't complain about the offensive production and efficiency. Several baskets came from the offensive system putting pressure on the Lithuanian defense to create defensive breakdowns. There it is again, the importance of being able to play within the system.

Reply #760498 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

The rules on FIBA website are as paul has posted, and the rest of his post is spot on.

Reply #760500 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"There it is again, the importance of being able to play within the system."

Yeah but Lemanis sucks because we don't have Deng Adel and *insert athletic kid here with great YouTube mixtape but no real experience in big games* lol

Reply #760509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes!!!

Where are you Makur and Dave.

Hopefully progress to the final eight but has been a successful WC and great work by all including the nbl guys.

Reply #760531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh, and welcome to the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo, Australia!

Reply #760535 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Oh FFS.
If you weren't nervous about yesterday's game, then you're an idiot.

We came very close to losing, so those predictions were almost correct.

It is also entirely accurate to point out that early against Senegal we looked asleep and Baynes was hopeless, whereas against Lithuania we were focussed and he was razor-sharp.

As for all those making pseudo-wise cracks about the NBL...
We have 7 NBL players in the team, and that seems like a lot.
Bogut doesn't count.
Kay has been in stella form for a year now, leading his team to an NBL ship, winning the NZNBL MVP, and dominating at training camp.
Goulding is not only a Boomers stalwart and former Euro player, but he has been in exceptional form for this WC. This is literally not the same player that was coming off the MU bench last season. If he carries this into the NBL season, then MU are going to be ripping new ones across Australia.
Creek's intensity has never been in question, and he did spend last season in the USA on the NBA fringe.
And to be fair, nobody has seriously questioned the inclusion of any of those (except Kay, but that was before Bolden shot thru)

The other 3, and those people have actually complained about, are literally contributing nothing.

Reply #760572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME. No need for a Nick. You clearly have one which makes you Accountable. We clearly see you got it so wrong. You dont like it because you clearly got it wrong. So many times. You arent the only one rest assured. You wrote a book / Diatribe about the Boomers. I certainly hope you aren't a coach irl. Now you get on the bandwaggon.

Reply #760587 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:03 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754