Jeff
Years ago

SBS to broadcast NBA & WNBA games in a multiyear deal

https://www.sbs.com.au/topics/sport/article/2019/09/09/sbs-announce-multiyear-free-air-nba-wnba-broadcast-partnership

SBS will show 2 live regular season NBA matches each week on SBS Viceland - the matches will also be streamed live & be available on demand via SBS On Demand. Additionally, Viceland & On Demand will air 1 live WNBA game during the regular season along with "a selection of games from the first three rounds of the WNBA playoffs"

Topic #45865 | Report this topic

Jeff  
Years ago

In regards to the WNBA, it's 1 live game each week

Reply #760964 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

This is very cool. Any idea whether they'll be different games from the ESPN games already available? Would be unfortunate if they're just showing the same ones

Reply #760968 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

Basketball goes BOOM again!

Reply #760969 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Ok. This is very very good news. SBS are serious about basketball - I imagine 2 NBA games per week is fairly costly (hence hasn't been done since ONE bailed on sport).

This means people will tune in to ESPN and SBS for NBA and have NBL coverage potentially immediately following. People will see these two stations as "Basketball" stations. Love it.

Great news for bball fans AND the NBL.

Reply #760971 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Would it be costly? Honest question as I don't know, but I'd imagine the lack of demand in Australia may mean there was room for negotiation? Fair to say the NBL would have been involved too.

Reply #760981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is great news.
Could this be driven by the nba $$$$$$$ or sbs $ or NBL $$
Or the melo factor?

Reply #760983 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

If the NBL was a part of this deal they clearly must see all sorts of cross-promotion opportunity

Reply #760985 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Because we have the highest rate of NBA League pass subscription in the world, the NBA probably doesn't have any incentive to provide broadcast rights to an Australian network for cheap.

I think its a win-win for absolutely everyone though, as it helps introduce new fans and the cross promotion for the NBL being on the same networks will be excellent.

Reply #760989 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Very good news. Well done to those involved in making it happen!

Reply #760991 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Because we have the highest rate of NBA League pass subscription in the world, the NBA probably doesn't have any incentive to provide broadcast rights to an Australian network for cheap."

I think they'd view League Pass subscribers as separate to a TV rights deal. Those who subscribe want LP to get widespread access to NBA games, the TV deal is about getting it to more than the hardcore group who already love the NBA.

Reply #760992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All we need now is for sbs to cover the NBA v NBL games

Reply #760993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will also help in bringing Australian NBA fans to the NBL and opens the door to a show like overtime that covers NBA and NBL topics

Reply #760994 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Historically, the NBA rights have been a rather expensive proposition in Australia for TV networks

Reply #760995 | Report this post

Captain Obvious  
Years ago

Not sure if I saw this right, but on the weekend I saw an add from one of the Ch7 stations suggesting they are showing PAC12 games. Is that right?

Reply #760997 | Report this post

Captain Obvious  
Years ago

Found a link confirming;
https://www.pedestrian.tv/sport/pac-12-network-7plus-streaming/

Reply #760998 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Wow. This is great. Love to see more of these kinds of partnerships

Reply #760999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh yeah baby, great work. SBS brought the largest world game to our screens and now the second largest. How good is it, yes baby. :):):):)

Reply #761008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better not interfere with movie night ;-)

Reply #761011 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

On No! The last network to do this was OneHD and they didn't last long after that.

Reply #761030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hopefully not just 2 Lakers games every single week and its a mixture of teams, tv networks have had a habit of showcasing the same select teams week in and week out

Reply #761032 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah hopefully some good variety and that they don't just replicate the ESPN games. We could potentially be up to 6-7 games a week which would be a great result

Reply #761037 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

SBS are the only free to air network doing it right in terms of utilising extra digital sub channels effectively. In terms of HD not just being on their primary station plus distinctly themed channnels. Now they are the go to for basketball after losing football rights. Nice.

Reply #761040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^
Perthworld making some sense, now that's a novelty. :::)))):)

Reply #761044 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Nine has GEMHD as well now.

But yes, it's good to see NBL & NBA Live and in HD on FTA.

Reply #761061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is awesome. I'm so happy

Reply #761076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think its a win-win for absolutely everyone though, as it helps introduce new fans and the cross promotion for the NBL being on the same networks will be excellent."

Yep. Great to have NBL and NBA on the same network. If you may allow me to reminisce a bit about the "golden days", I used to love me some Basketball Extra on Channel 10 with Bill Woods and Carfino... which from memory covered NBA and NBL. Game of the week, NBA Action... ahh yes

Reply #761079 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Also a win to have the NBL and NBA on ESPN together too, so hopefully now they won't be screening at the same time.

Reply #761083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This just keeps getting better and better woohoo!

Reply #761372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yus queeeeeeeeen

Hopefully lots of Pels games!

Reply #761591 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Who cares about WNBA surely we can put something better on

Reply #761594 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:41 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754