Mystro
Years ago

Dillon Boucher leaving the Breakers

Just announced on 1 News in NZ Dillon Boucher has resigned from the Breakers as the GM.

Matt Walsh to take over the role?

Topic #45869 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

What they all did to Braswell was pretty shady.

Reply #761050 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

What did they do to Braswell apart from fire him?

Reply #761053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hire him.

Reply #761054 | Report this post

Angelo  
Years ago

Henare, Pledger, Ili, Vukona, Judd Flavell and now Boucher. A lot of people leaving in a short amount of time

Reply #761057 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What did they do to Braswell apart from fire him?
They didn't fire him, they made him redundant. That's why we're not allowed to call the new guy the "head coach", he has that other ridiculous job title instead.

Reply #761059 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

That's odd - redundancy through "restructure" affects non-contract employees, if Braswell was contracted like most coaches are, they'd still have pay him out surely?

Reply #761060 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

I don't see the issue: Braswell wasn't a great coach and evidently the Breakers thought so too.

Whether or not he was financially compensated for his dismissal seems to be speculative.

Reply #761062 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Something is definitely up at the Breakers.

Can't imagine a guy like Boucher voluntarily and happily walks out on a position like that. I mean I could be wrong and he could have found something bigger and better.

But just my opinion, it looks like he was pushed or was treated badly?

"Dillon looked at the bigger picture and felt he was ready to do something else," Walsh told 1 News.

What is the "bigger picture"? Did they have some bigger plans to cull him/replace him later? Weird thing to say.

NZ fans on the North Shore will not like the obvious and deliberate move from being a "community club" to being a full blown "commercial club". NZ fans are fair-weather fans at the best of times, so departures of locals/local legends could really hurt their interest with fans.

Reply #761063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless he quit - after agreeing to reduced payout - because he didn't want to be answering to someone and not effectively running the show.

Reply #761064 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

If he had quit there wouldn't be a need to give the new coach some new obscure title other than head coach.

Reply #761065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But I thought NBA stars investing in the league was a good thing!!!

/s

Reply #761066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If he had quit there wouldn't be a need to give the new coach some new obscure title other than head coach."

There would be if they'd hired him before Braswell quit.

Reply #761068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Henare, Vukona, Flavell, Boucher. A lot of people who were there for a long time with great character.

I had some question marks about the ability of some, but watching the Tall Blacks in the World Cup made me realise just how much better Henare was than Braswell.

To me, it's really starting to look like a number have walked rather than been pushed.

Reply #761073 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Seems to me that that is a nice core of vets to apply for an expansion NBL license out of Wellington. Or, what if they got Taswegian citizenship and ran the Huskies?

Reply #761280 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Apparently Dan Shamir is Head Coach & GM now, Head of Basketball Operations.

Reply #761316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

breakers are a shit show now

Reply #761317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man, I used to hate Boucher as a player. Whenever he'd be on the tv, I'd scream, stand up, punch the wall, throw a vase, sit back down aNd do it all over again the next time he appeared.

Reply #761385 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"To me, it's really starting to look like a number have walked rather than been pushed."

Or a number have walked after been pushed. Jumping from the cliff before they were about to be pushed off it. Just my opinion.

Reply #761390 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

The tweets coming from Andrew Price and others connected with the Breakers indicates there is clear tension behind the scenes.

Definitely notable that they're not going to fill the replace the GM role either.

Reply #761453 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Shame, Thought he was very good for them.

Reply #761454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His three years of being a GM were not a great success.

Boucher resided over last year which was a failure. When I raised obvious issues with him, he and Walsh were clearly driving together. He didn't see it as a leadership issue - which it was, blaming execution of others.

Maybe I'm being hard on the guy, but maybe his business leadership isn't as great as his playing leadership.

Reply #761463 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I fear for the future of this franchise.

Reply #761464 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:56 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754