Manu Fieldel
Years ago

Too-early 2019/20 ladder predictions

All-too-early ladder predictions for NBL season 2019/20. Keen to see what others are thinking.
Kings minor premiers and go on to take the title imo.

Sydney
Melbourne
NZ
Brisbane
----------------
Perth
Illawarra
SEM
Cairns
Adelaide

Topic #45887 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

6ers to finish 4th-5th

Reply #762094 | Report this post

Anon16  
Years ago

Kings way too high. The second import will be gone before the season hits halfway. Third more likely. And Perth in 5th, ROFL

Reply #762095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Illawarra will play finals, put your money on it.

Reply #762097 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

A bit too early really need to wait until we get a good look at teams at the Blitz.

Melbourne
Illawarra
Perth
SEM

Sydney
Brisbane
Adelaide
NZ Breakers
Cairns

Reply #762100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Illawarra the dark horse for sure

Perth will not be breaking their playoff streak this year, 2nd-3rd

Brisbane have under performed every season (someone please explain Lemanis to me) they will not make playoffs

Perth, Melbourne and Sydney playoff locks

NZ, Adelaide and Illawarra to battle it out for the last playoff spot

Reply #762102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wildcats are finals bound by default

Reply #762106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne and Sydney could be slow starting with Barlow and Goulding still away. Sydney have Bogut plus head coach and assistant Longley away till at least mid next week. Brisbane in the same boat with head coach and Glidion and Sobey away. You won't be able to drop early games. On money spent and experience Perth and Melbourne have to be favourites. Dark horse Illawarra, very good side if they avoid injuries.

Reply #762108 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Top 4:
Melb
Hawks
Sydney
Perth

Reply #762110 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Are all rosters finalised now? What I really mean is: do we know which teams have 3 imports and which don't? Because that's the only reliable predictor of success.

Reply #762114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Way too early.

Reply #762115 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Are all rosters finalised now?

Yes

Reply #762118 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

1-3
Melbourne
Perth
Sydney

4-7
Adelaide
Brisbane
NZ
SEM

8-9
Cairns
Illawarra

Reply #762119 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

More drama with the Breakers on its way.

Corey Webster wanting out. Breakers not budging. Getting messy apparently. Really messy.

Reply #762139 | Report this post

Cat Fontroller  
Years ago

Illawarra. Wow.

Reply #762351 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Top 3 in no particular order
Perth, Melbourne and Sydney
Next 3 Brisbane, Illawarra, NZ
Bottom 3 Adelaide, SEM and Cairns.

Reply #762432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United
Breakers
Wildcats
Bullets
Kings
36ers
Hawks
Phoenix
Taipans

Reply #762462 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

United
Perth
Sydney
Hawks
--------
Adelaide
NZ
SEM
Brisbane
Daylight
Cairns

Barring Catastrophe, MU and Perth will duke it out for top spot. I think MU, but it will depend on the health of Barlow to start the season, and how they adapt down the stretch. Theoretically they remain vulnerable at the 4, but it remains to be seen how they cover it.
If Goulding can carry over his early for from the WC, MU are going to be almost unstoppable early on.

Sydney have a new coach (who crazily is still tied up with the Boomers) so that's a big question mark for them. They are one year older, and have bet the far on Casper. Don't get me wrong, that's a good bet, but there's going to be confusion when fans chant MVP, because Bogut will think its him.

Next you have a bunch of teams with so any unknowns, new players, new coaches, etc.
I'll take a punt and pick Hawks to make the 4, only because of Brooks.

I never Write Joey off, at least not until he's had a meltdown.

SEM have assembled a good squad, but relying on Gibson and Antman will bite them.

Brisbane either revolutionise the NBL, or suck balls. Hard to tell which. Having Lemanis on WC duty, with Sobey and Gliddon carrying his bags, won't help their pre-season. Seriously, could make the 4, or just plain suck.

Cairns. Well it rains a lot up there in summer, so at least being inside is good.

Reply #762598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

remember people this was D2.0s last prediction from a couple of weeks ago talking about the boomers -

"We won't make it out of the group stages"

Reply #762599 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Complete thread is encapsulated in title:

"Too-early 2019/20 ladder predictions"

Reply #762676 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Wildcats are a lock for playoffs.

Reply #762691 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Way too early, I haven't watched a single practice game yet! But anyway, here's mine with heavy bias to what happened last season:

United
Perth
Brisbane
Sydney

Adelaide
SE Melbourne
New Zealand
Illawarra
Cairns

Reply #762694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has anyone seen nz roster? Can't believe peeps havin em near the bottom.

Tall blacks
Webster, Delaney, Abercrombie, Loe

Imports
Henry, Obekpa, Hopson, 3 top quality imports

NS
Hampton, a potential top 5 nba pick.

Majok, one of the best Cs int the asia region.

Weeks who probably had his best year last season.

Likely the best DP in the league in Liu

Reply #762696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing you have put there convinces me they'll be good.

Reply #762698 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Has anyone seen nz roster?

I have it's a crap roster.

Imports first Hopson was playing in Israel a mid-level comp, Henry is an undersized SG playing in Turkey which isn't the standard it one was Obekpa was playing in Lebanon which would be SEABL level if that.

Locals Webster played like a chump last season he's barely deserves to start, Abercrombie is too old to even be an inconsistent contributor anymore, Delany is an okay athletic prospect but is a year or two away from being a serious contributor and Loe is a decent big but doesn't like the rough stuff like rebounding and playing defence. Ater Majok isn't even worth mentioning, he was only okay when he last played in the NBL almost 10 years ago and has been playing in Lebanon for years now.

Hampton is the great unknown but being a kid fresh out of high school never having played against pro men before you can't genuinely rely on him yet he will be their starting PG. If Webster departs or checks out mentally again a lot will rest on Hampton's shoulders.

Reply #762715 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Very early, so many questions

Any team with Casper and Bogut will be right up there. As will Gleeson's Cats. As will United.

Reply #762728 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think Bogut might fall away a fair bit this season.

Reply #762732 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

ROFL

I sometimes think the funniest thing about anonytrolls is that they really don't realise just how ridiculous they are.

Criticising predictions when they are too scared to make their own, which is laughable because they don't even put a name to their post.

Reply #762735 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Dazz you're stooping lower than the anons you're criticizing.

There are many posters (myself included) who think you are ridiculous.

Reply #762737 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[I think Bogut might fall away a fair bit this season.]

He could fall away a fair bit and still be in the top 2 or 3 bigs in the NBL.

His biggest concern is keeping his body in good enough nick to actually allow him to play, imo.

Changing topic, watching Melo ball highlights, the kid can play. Blanchfield is coming off a career year. Much depends on Boone but, Illawarra could surprise.

Reply #763018 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

1. Perth
2. Melbourne
3. Kings
4. Hawks

5. Bullets
6. SEM
7. Breakers
8. 36ers
9. Taipans

United I think are the best team on paper, but I think it will take a little bit for them to gel so will lose some early games. Caspar is a huge add for Kings. Hawks like plenty have said is the real dark horse, Brooks is no joke and I'd be leaning towards him as the MVP of the league if he's anything close to his best.

Reply #763196 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Has anyone seen nz roster? Can't believe peeps havin em near the bottom."

They're in that bunch of teams with new players and a new coach.
Assuming Weaver isn't somehow worse than Gaze, then I think we have 3 very strong teams.
But any of Hawks, SEM, NZ, or even Brissy could really surprise and not just make the 4 but challenge the top 3.

Reply #763209 | Report this post

GordonG47  
Years ago

An example of a post not ageing well...

:)

Reply #787874 | Report this post

What a bunch of dickheads we are all picking Cairns 9th.

Reply #787878 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:04 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754