LC
Years ago

U16 Australian teams named for FIBA Asia Champs

Some nice lineups for the boys and girls Australian U16 teams. Justin Schueller coaching the boys, Tracy York the girls.

Australian Under 16 national teams named for FIBA Asia Championship

FIBA Asia Championship location and dates TBA.

Topic #45925 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boys
Daniels / Proctor
Deans / Rasmussen / Stattman
Ipassou / Ofoedu
Duach / Pennisi / Walker
McWilliams / Beatty

Interesting to see stattman on the team, wasn't even on the final camp list. Glad he’s there though.
Not sold on the bigs. Tallest in the nation but developed more than some others who are shorter?
Look forward to seeing how they go. Will be tough tournament I think.

Girls
Deeble / Fakalata / Loughridge
Swain / Simons
Price / Puoch
Dunn / Goodchild
Prior / Dunlop / Evans

Not the squad I would have chosen personally.
Borlase pretty unlucky I reckon and Bowyer is a solid guard or sf backup.
The starting 5 was always a lock.

Reply #763730 | Report this post

Captain Obvious  
Years ago

Very surprised Borlase didn't make the team. Too short for her skill set?

Reply #763735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shes not short, shes actually quite big for a sg for her age and strong, She's like 5’8-5’9. That’s the same height as previous sgs like Shelley and Palmer and current starting sg swain.
York has gone for a spot shooter instead it seems. Going to struggle defending the Asian guards and keeping them in front I think.

Maybe Loughridge plays backup pg with Fakalata primarily playing at sg.
No Crawford in this squad and she was the cg for the u15 oceania team.

EST Heights are something like...

Team
Loughridge 5’3
Fakalata 5’6
Deeble 5’7
Swain 5’9
Simons 6’0
Dunn 6’0
Puoch 6’1
Price 6’1
Goodchild 6’1
Prior 6’2
Dunlop 6’2
Evans 6’3

Just Missed out this time...
Crawford 5’8
Borlase 5’9
Bowyer 5’9
Ward 5’10
Wise 6’4

Reply #763746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"She's like 5'8-5’9" - Borlase is the same height or taller than many of the guards picked ahead of her and guarded players taller than her at U16 Nationals.

"York has gone for a spot shooter instead it seems" - She also had a better 3p% than I think all guards selected ahead of her and is definitely respectable from range.

Omitting the top scorer and arguably all-round player at u16 nationals is very curious.

Reply #763760 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

See Proctor from Sutherland who has been there all his Junior career so far and makes the team and has now apparently moved to Comets where the 18 boys coach happens to be the Australian assistant coach.how coincidental.

Reply #763795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Borlase was 1st in points, rebounds. Top 3 in shooting %s in u16s and also top of all 3 in sa district basketball.
Maybe injured? Although you'd think that Bowyer would get the nod also playing in the qbl every week and playing pretty well alongside swain most of the season.

Reply #763799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Proctor did pretty well in u16 champs. Ft% wasn't good but everything else ok. Out performed all the other pgs in his age group this year.
Windhager and Walker were the other options who have both had exp for Aus. Looks like Schueller is going for a more athletic up and down team though.

Reply #763827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

See, to me he didn't even look like a PG at u16 Champs. More like a SG playing on the ball due to lack of options. There is a lot of score-first mentality in that boys' back-court.

Reply #763838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There aren't a whole lot of pg options in this age group for the boys, if we qualify, I think we will know more about who is the best fit for the WC next year. No clear standouts like last time.

I think York is in for a shock, chosen a group full of good size forwards but I think most will struggle with containing the guards of Japan, korea etc.not sure why you need to bring so much size to an asia tournament in which only 1 team has the potential to be bigger than us. Happens every time and we struggle and end up playing small bal, by the end of the tourney.

Reply #763839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Windharger injured, acl unfortunately

Reply #763841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ that's very unfortunate, I thought his omission must have been for an availability reason. Hopefully he recovers well.

Reply #763842 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I'm shocked Izzy Borlase isn’t in this team. She’s either unavailable or injured. She’s starting 5 IMO.

York being from SA she’d know she’s exceptionally strong, smart and talented. This can’t be decision York made.

Borlase will play 17s etc for Aus for sure

Reply #763844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we qualify, she should be in. Bowyer also.

Reply #763845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most time the Coaches do not have the final say when selecting the players, they are just coaches.

Reply #763850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would love to know who the selectors are.

Reply #763855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Borlase would not start over Swain. Not a chance.

Reply #763857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Borlase should have been in there full stop. Unbelievable she didn't make it. Won't be the first to be overlooked for others though. Onwards and upwards for her. What she did last night in the winter season GF certainly had everyone in the stadium abuzz with what they saw. She will get there and when she does she will deliver as always. Can play 1 through 5 spots. SA's best player in that age group by a mile.

Reply #763872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So she's not injured I’m guessing...

Reply #763875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not injured to my knowledge. Or if she is, what she did last night further tells you about her and what she can do. Scarey.

Reply #763877 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

What did she do. Do tell.

Reply #763909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sufficed to say she dominated and her team won.

Reply #763925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Borlase is a year younger than most named in the team. She was also a gun footballer and netballer, might have other priorities.

Reply #763988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Loughridge, Simons and Puoch are all 04 too.
The only one who could challenge Borlase as a top tier prospect bottom ager would be Puoch, a potential 6'3 Wing in a couple of years.

Fearne is a good 04 player, but over in the states and didn’t play in this years u16s.
Lots of other quality 04s from u16s too like Dart, Logan, Heal, Preston, Ananiev etc etc.
Good u19 team in a few years time perhaps.

Borlase switching sports would be a huge loss.
I know one young sa player chose volleyball over basketball.

Reply #763995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Height is not everything, the tallest girl in the squad is also the weakest player, averaged no game time in vic metro no rebounds or points but makes the Sus squad. Sometimes we value height above skill

Reply #767796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#796, you have the wrong girl, the one named is a very strong post player for NSW Country not Vic Metro. there isn't a weak kid in that team

Reply #767870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think we need that many bigs, it’s asia. We keep making the same mistakes year in year out. Not sure we will be able to stay in front of those quick Japananess guards.

Reply #767916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #767870 - Same kid that got invite basketball without Borders

Reply #768006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

G
Deeble - qld s
Fakalata - vic m
Loughridge - vic c
Swain - qld n
F
Simons - sa m
Price - vic c
Dunn - vic m
Puoch - vic m
P
Goodchild - nsw m
Prior - nsw m
Dunlop - vic c
Evans - nsw c

Way too many bigs....
Puoch, dunn and price play alot at the 4 also.
Head scratcher why 1 of Borlase or Bowyer are not there.

Reply #768010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No it's not the same kid who went to NBA BWB, totally different age group, Chyra Evans NSW Country, played in Aust u15 in PNG.
There will be one forced change, Swain has done an ACL

Reply #768169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dam, huge loss.
WhAts with all these young women tearing there acl.
Got to be about 5 this year.

Reply #768170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She was at the COE, you have to wonder whether they have an overload problem or they even know what they are doing with kids that age, Wallace was another who went through COE and did an ACL, why do they do full time strength and conditioning at that age and not do some preventative work around the knees

Reply #768171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aokuso acl, mclean acl, there's a couple more. Can’t remember who.

Reply #768172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have to wonder, they are in an U16 team and they are doing a full time load to justify the COE, you have to wonder whether there is a suitable replacement, what a waste of funding, distribute that money to the weaker basketball states instead and level the playing field

Reply #768173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aokuso was COE not sure about Mclean

Reply #768174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who's fillin in for swain?
With the acl, it also takes her out of the u17 WC next year and u18 Asia champs.

Reply #768175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The best thing would be a coe per state.

Reply #768176 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

why are there never any WA kids? they have been on the up at AJC generally. haven't seen any since the victorious 2001 boys...

Reply #769720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because at the moment, they are not good enough.

Reply #769721 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

well clearly, it looks that way. but its very hard to see how WA haven't produced a single decent player when other states are producing multiple. is theie local competition much smaller or weaker? they are very competitive in other mainstream sports like footy, hockey, netball etc so they clearly have numbers and talent. it doesn't make sense that in most team or even bigger squad announcements it is common to see no wa kids.

Reply #769723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Been a few boys in recent years with Travers, Buluk, Bowen, ducas and jackson.
Not really any women apart from clarke who had a Short stint.

Going forward I can see maybe 2 women in the next 5 years playing for junior n.t.
Maybe only a couple of boys.

Most will come from vic and qld though.

Reply #769724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Waters is at the COE, not exactly making progress, though.

The standout 2002 boy ended up in Vic.

The 2003 group isn't particularly strong. The 2004s haven't had a chance to be selected yet as top-age players.

You're just looking at too small a sample size.

Reply #769725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't see any boy or girl 03 or 04s Fromm wa with a shot. Will be nine in u17 setup.
Only certainty is Atleast 1 06 girl for the next u17 cycle.

Reply #769728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting. The standout 2002 WA kid who moved to Vic isn't exactly a standout anymore. And I’d like to know who the 2006 girl is- just watched the U14 AJC and I couldn’t pick one from the WA teams- unless she wasn’t there. Also- it’s a bit early to call. What about their 2005 kids? Not the boys but there’s a couple of girls Who stood out at last years U14. Didn’t see them in this years U16 though- the 2005 girls there were pretty average.
Vlahov -2004 - is an interesting one. There’s also a 2004 kid with a very famous uncle (JC) who wasn’t in the WA U16 team this year but he got invited to the AIS in October who looks the goods.

Reply #769797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The second top scorer 06 from Warwick.

Reply #769800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 2004 born WA kid was in the original U16 team but did not travel to the championships. Obviously very talented if still asked to Aust development camp, would be around 198cm already.

Reply #769820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 2004 kid has a questionable attitude and pulled out of the U16. So for BWA and/or BA to persevere is probably testament to his potential. BWA desperate to produce another star in the growing shadows of the 2001 cohort and as there are no other suitors, they are pinning their hopes on this kid.

Reply #769823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

198cm or 6'6 is quite small in comparison to those 04s from vic, sa and qld.
Yaak is like 6’11 already. Pierre, papacostas, Amum, Magbegor etc etc

Reply #769830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And I would question if he is 198cm. I doubt that.

Reply #769852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The boys tournament now March 23rd in Iran lol.
That seems pretty crazy to me.

Reply #784511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Running a bit late aren't we with these tournaments, riduculous...

Reply #787899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://nz.basketball/new-zealand-junior-teams-named-to-play-fiba-u16-asia-cup/

Reply #796838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hooper and kersomas a good pick up.
No davey or Williams seems crazy.

Great boys side.

Reply #796840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both tournaments cancelled.
Not sure what happens now....

Reply #797196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It appears we have already qualified for WC on ranking without playing a single game in Asia.
Wow, that has got to suck for the other nations. Feel sorry for nz.

http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u17women/2020/news/draw-results-in-for-fiba-u17-women-s-basketball-world-cup-2020

Reply #797197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Women have drawn the worst group possible.
Could very well lose every game.

A
Italy
Canada
Korea
Egypt

B
Mali
USA
Australia
Spain

C
Lithuania
Russia
Japan
Chile

D
Romania
France
China
Puerto Rico

Reply #797201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nz must be fumin

Reply #797203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, fiba have slapped a date on the rankings and nz boys will not qualify either it looks like even though they are level with Japan on points system. Both are ranked 22 in world for boys.

Aus, China, Korea and Japan in both boys n girls it looks like.

Reply #797205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nz boys potentially playing a tiebreaker with Japan

Reply #797288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ will now play a game against Japan for the final WC spot.
They should get through although japans youth has been rapidly on the rise.

Reply #797734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hard,to tell if Australia will need to make changes before WC now, hopefully we can sort somefriendly games before hand and not just rely on u18 ajcs.
Playing against nz women would be good since they were chosen but never got a shot. Quite a few of them are based in Australia too.

Reply #797735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia boys

Group A
Canada
Italy
Australia
Egypt

B
China
Dominican Republic
France
Bulgaria

C
Turkey
Korea
Argentina
Spain

D
Russia
USA
Mali
Japan or NZ

For us, Canada probably favourites, fairly even between aus and Italy and Egypt we should beat comfortably.

Reply #797750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We seem to always draw Canada.

Reply #797751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely these teams will change now that it is cancelled, I think a lot of these players have already been overtaken in the last 6months.

Reply #809226 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:08 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754