LC
Years ago

NBLxNBA on SBS On Demand

The Pick and Roll has confirmed that SBS, which has made a major push towards basketball coverage this year -including NBA games– will be broadcasting via SBS on Demand.

NBLxNBA 2019 games available via SBS On Demand

Topic #46004 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

So, buried on shit quality streaming where no casuals will ever find it? Good work, NBL.

Reply #766040 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Haha what?

Foxtel.com.au TV Guide had explicitly included Adelaide 36ers v Utah Jazz, which appears to have now been changed to "Sport Special", which, if LC is right, won't end up broadcasting on Fox Sports anymore?

How does that even happen!

Reply #766043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^the magic of television

Reply #766049 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yep - I saw it advertised on Kayo too at one stage. Now, it is gone. SBS bought the rights.

Reply #766051 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I wonder if that means it will be on SBS Viceland as well? I'd hope so.

"Bought" the rights is an interesting term to use.

I wonder if they were given to Fox if they couldn't be found elsewhere, then SBS said "yeah sure why not"

Reply #766052 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Shitty decision if true. Not having them on TV is going to make it too hard for casual viewers to find and the quality of streaming is much lower than broadcast.

And hell, here we are two days before the season starts and there's been no official word on broadcasting at all.

Reply #766055 | Report this post

James  
Years ago

This is fine. What SBS is doing is great for the sport, realky there should be no complaining.

Reply #766056 | Report this post

James  
Years ago

This is fine. What SBS is doing is great for the sport, realky there should be no complaining.

Reply #766057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Foxtel is down to a very low percentage in homes, pubs and clubs still paying but most those don't show basketball. Every one watches everything on line, don’t see the big deal. Foxtel doesn’t want to pay for anything, let them keep show there rubbish with government hand outs.

Reply #766058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sport fans who don't really care about the NBL are way more likely to watch a Fox Sports channel (or ESPN) channel surfing than look at SBS On Demand and you'd get more viewers that way.

Reply #766059 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Precisely. Nobody is going to stumble across these games on SBS On Demand, the only viewers will be the hardcore NBL fans.

Reply #766060 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What can they LK about it? At least they tried to find a linear channel to broadcast it even though they failed. It seems like Australia is allergic to NBL and the sport of basketball even with the NBA tacked onto it. Such a shame.

Reply #766064 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What can LK do about it?*

Reply #766065 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It was originally scheduled to air on Fox.

Reply #766067 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

And then it wasn't.

Reply #766068 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I just find it hard to fathom that SBS especially now having the NBA rights weren't interested in putting these games on one of their TV channels.

Reply #766069 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Compare this to whenever an A-League team play a Premier League side and it's on free to air with massive coverage. Although these are played on home soil so that may be the key.

Reply #766070 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think this was just a case of Fox Sports getting one last boot into the NBL by dropping the games from their schedule at the last minute.

I don't think one network has ever shat on a league as much as they have over the years.

Reply #766077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Channel 10

Reply #766088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fuxtel suck asses

Reply #766095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any game after 730 pm will air live on ESPN and streamed on sbs and seems to be working ok at the moment. Perth, Melbourne game is live on sbs viceland today let's see how it goes.
I’ve seen both games on sbs and it’s been good so far

Reply #766222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fuxtel, I like it.

Reply #766224 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Hey LC, hoping you could help out, I have downloaded SBS on demand but I cannot see any information on the 36ers/Jazz game and also nothing in the online viceland guide? Where can I find any information? Cheers

Reply #766226 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

And people are going to "stumble upon it" and watch it on FOX koberulez?

Don't think they're selecting broadcasters to target the 40 people that stumble upon things.

Reply #766229 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

How else do you grow your audience?

If it's not on TV, people who just want something to watch and scroll through the sports channels won't see it. People interested in following the NBA preseason who search "NBA" in the TV guide won't see it. People watching other things won't see commercials for it.

The game is in less than 24 hours and there hasn't even been an announcement of the broadcast details. Outside of this PnR leak, there's no information available. At this stage even a lot of hardcore NBL fans won't see it.

Reply #766231 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Im thinking the NBL should probably scrap this next year. Exactly how much awareness is this bringing to a mass audience both here and in the US? And the effort and logistics required just doesnt seem worth it.

Sure bring the NBA here and you have a different story, but taking the NBL to the US and playing half hearted pre season games against sometimes small market NBA teams that not a lot of Australians would really care about too much, played in half full NBA venues where the NBL team is doing its best just to be competitive... just seems too much for too little.

Plus the almost non existent TV and media coverage. Scrap it i think.

Reply #766233 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, it was absolutely huge the first year, and a pretty big deal last year, but this year it doesn't seem like anyone cares at all. Total afterthought.

Reply #766234 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"How else do you grow your audience?"

What audience would you consider best to target for growth? Would you agree Australian NBA fans? They already have an interest in basketball. Not sure how many can really be swayed to follow NBL from these games, but NBLxNBA is also on NBA League Pass.

From my own friends that follow NBA but not NBL, they have seen a few of these games, and at the least, it helps them learn about specific NBL players. A lot of Australian NBA fans had some past interest in NBL, but are not up to date so they don't know many NBL players playing today. Getting those names out there in the consciousness of these basketball fans is a start.

Reply #766237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be better trying to get an nba team to Australia, let them play in Sydney, Perth and Melbourne. They would be sell outs and the cost would be less you would think and shared between three clubs.

Reply #766249 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

Received a email today from the NBL promoting that the NBLxNBA games will be streamed via NBL TV and SBS On Demand

Reply #766279 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

One month free of NBL TV to watch NBLxNBA.

Code is NBLNBA.

Reply #766280 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

They were promoting a code of "NBL20" to give you 2 months free of NBL TV, but the code never worked for me. It seems others had the same problem as me. Did the any codes work for anyone recently?

Reply #766306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

12pm tomorrow woohoo

Reply #766337 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

12pm AEST today!

Reply #766353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"How else do you grow your audience?"

Target Australian NBA fans, ex nba players and the NBL v NBA
Target Australian kids 6 to 14 y/o. It's a safe game to play.
Target Australian and American teenagers 14 to 21+ with the next stars
Target American NBA fans, ex NBA players next stars and NBL v NBA

Older Australians who never played basketball won’t be NBL fans ever unless their kids are making them go to NBL games.

Reply #766917 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:41 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754