Anonymous
Years ago

David Herbert resigns from Supercats

PREMIERSHIP-winning Geelong Supercats female coach David Herbert has resigned from the NBL1 club, little more than a month after signing a three-year contract, blaming a declining culture.

Appointed as coach in 2014, Herbert, who also held a prominent coaching role with the Australian Gems at this year's under-19 FIBA World Cup, stood down from the Supercats late last month.

After signing a new deal tying him to the Supercats in September, he departed as director of coaching at the club in favour of roles with Western Heights College and Basketball Victoria, before deciding to step away from coaching all together.

"I’m not comfortable in the current environment, that’s why I’ve stepped away from coaching," Herbert said yesterday.

“The situation was, realistically, I had a three year deal. I had the full support of the board and I just don’t like the current environment at the moment.

“I know I have the full support of the group. They’re basically trying to convince me to coach again.”

Herbert will move his family from Yarraville to Geelong in November — a decision he made after accepting the contract extension — but has since found he cannot work with the club any longer.

The highly regarded mentor guided the Supercats to a breakthrough SEABL Championship title in 2017 and has passionately advocated for basketball in the region.

The Supercats were part of an amalgamation between Basketball Geelong (the Supercats’ governing body) and Corio Bay Stingrays earlier this year, which formed Geelong United.

“I felt that I wanted to keep the 10 hours (a week coaching), but with everything going on in the background I thought it wasn’t feasible anymore and for my own mental health and the stress and anxiety I was dealing with, I wouldn’t pursue it any longer,” he said.

“I’m just disappointed that I can’t do what I truly love and that’s coaching that group of players.”

Mark Neeld said he isn’t aware of any cultural issues at Geelong United. United chief executive Mark Neeld oversaw the merger after starting with Basketball Geelong in February and said he was unaware of any cultural issues within the organisation.

“(Herbert told United) with everything going on, coaching an NBL1 side at the moment is not something he can commit to,” Neeld said.

“When you bring two associations together, people will work in a different way so there’s a bit of an adjustment to that.

“Everything is coming together and joining as one. I wouldn’t call them growing pains, it’s just getting used to the way things work.”

The Supercats enjoyed a successful run during Herbert’s five-year tenure, which included a grand final defeat this year.

He previously had stints in Canberra and Townsville.

The Gippsland native said he was yet to receive a reply to the resignation email he sent to United on September 29 and would not consider a return to the Supercats unless there was “a fair bit of change” in the organisation.

“The merger, I think it’s a great thing for the region, I really do,” he said.

“The ultimate dream for me was to get a team into the WNBL from this region.”

The search for Herbert’s replacement is underway.

“We have spoken to a number of people over the last few days. We will be narrowing our search quickly,” Neeld said.

“We will take the appropriate amount of time to find the right candidate.”

Topic #46065 | Report this topic

Go Dees  
Years ago

Mark Neeld has an awesome record leading teams and developing culture at sporting clubs.

Reply #767998 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Mark Neeld former head coach of the AFL's Melbourne Demons?

Reply #768001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Herbie and Schuller get on okay,so will be interesting to see how long it will be until they advertise for a new men's coach,you talk to anyone involved at a committee level with the more popular clubs and they are not happy with the amount of decisions being made with no consultation,pretty messy,no doubt the usual response will be oh na everything is fine,biggest problem is they have way to many egos,rather than worrying about what really matters, put aside individual needs and build a culture with some new people involved not ones that have failed previously.

Reply #768020 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

A good man driven from the game he loves by a toxic culture, this is a tragic outcome.

Reply #768028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You all understand Herbie was in charge after Anglin went to Nbl1. If the culture is " toxic" it did not happen in 6 weeks since the merger. Move on and allow this new club to get on with building unity. Seriously the same posters on several threads spouting the same negativity.

Reply #768032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Above anon - You realise Herbie was in charge for approx 5-6 weeks, 9 months ago, I'd say it’s been building a little longer than 6 weeks since the merger.
If you really think that about Herbie then he has absolutely made the right decision to leave your club.
Also check out the other article that surfaced today in the local paper......

Reply #768040 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

It is the same Mark Neeld that coached the Melbourne demons

Reply #768045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^Sure is

Reply #768048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Meladrama. People move on, for what ever reason. No one cares expect Geelong arm chair warriors with nothing else to do. I don't care either way my club will still play a team with a coach. Get over it.

Reply #768058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know FA about Geelong basketball but mark Neeld has poor track record in the afl.

Reply #768061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ I would suggest Neeld knows fuck all about basketball and will soon develop a similar reputation or track record in this sport.

Reply #768070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neeld who won 5 games and lost 28 games who was then sacked after loosing the players group. The sacked from the essendon football club after discontent around communications and his role.

Reply #768138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To be honest rather unprofessional to blame " culture of a club" when you have been a big part of said club. Neeld is new, surrounding himself with his staff and I am presuming upsetting some. This is what happens in business all over the country. Bashing the new CEO is an Australian past time but unwarranted at this very early stage. I will hold judgement.

Reply #768141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark Neeld has done a sensational job helping to progress a decision made by two associations with the sole aim of the betterment of basketball in Geelong. Some positive outcomes will be better VJBL representation from Geelong teams, better pathways available for Geelong players and a stronger representation when presenting to state gov for funding for facilities. The work has been done with the full backing and advice from all governing bodies. This has required change to which several individuals have not responded positively. People with the best interest of the game at heart will be backing this change to the hilt. Those unable to adapt will attack those they see as the driver of that change. I will go to the old cliche, the game will always be bigger than the individual. The Geelong Addy will try to sensationalise and cause controversy to sell newspapers. Basketball Geelong was not in great financial shape and Herbie was a part of that having been on board for 6 years. CBBA while not being in financial difficulties were not in an ideal situation either being tied to a privately run stadium. The two associations took that opportunity to get together to help each other out for the betterment of basketball in Geelong. Mark Neeld deserves a pat on the back for allowing this to happen in the face of opposition from the old school who got Geelong Basketball into this predicament in the first place. Give him a break.

Reply #768151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^Thanks Mark

Reply #768152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here here

Reply #768153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not Mark. Let’s just say I’m someone that knows what’s going on in this situation unlike a few others on here.

Reply #768154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said anon.

Reply #768157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fantastic. Great move. Well done Mark Neeld.

Reply #768183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think anyone has dis-agreed including Herbie with what will happen within the merger when VJBL is involved, stronger teams to get into VC and plenty of opportunities for heaps of kids, some age groups have up to 8 teams.
Also didn't see him mentioned anything about the financial side of the club, even if he has been with the club for 6 years I don't think he was in charge of the finances during that time, I think that's more CEO related.
By the sounds of it, the main reason is Herbie wasn't happy with what was happening behind the scenes and within the front office and has decided to leave, what he feels is not a good culture for him to be a part off.
making basketball bigger than the individual...

Reply #768196 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Not sure how many ignorant, uninformed anonymous posters we have on this thread, but to the others who have chimed in with their lack lustre and accusing comments, you are incorrect and obviously don't know anything!

Anon #151, almost all of that is relevant and correct.

Almost all of the rest of the posts here are utter rubbish!

The newspaper article is missing the key elements, as it always does, to as correctly stated, sell more papers...

The one thing I will say is that Mark Neeld coming into a very difficult position has done an excellent job in almost everything he has done so far. Those dealing with him first hand who know what he has had to do behind the scenes and the tough decisions which had to be made understand. The rhetoric of any clubs he has been with in the past means nothing to what he is accomplishing now!

We all wish Herbie well in all that he will do moving forward and he will always be a championship winning SEABL coach with the Supercats.

Reply #768222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Bear. The one post you like is relevant and correct. All the rest are rubbish apparently. Perhaps you need to listen to the majority on this one. Two excellent coaches at NBL1 level are no longer there......and in both cases it is very much a shame (given that they are quality people).

Reply #768229 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Well anon, never have I implied that the previous SEABL/NBL1 coaches are not quality people, I have known them for some time and respect everything they have done and wish them both the very best in what they do moving forward.

I am not going to get into the debate as to why and how they are no longer in their position as I don't believe this is the place to do so, accurately that is...

Whether I agree with one poster or 100 posters is irrelevant if I know more than you and you are full of rubbish I will call it out, but of course since you are just posting random anons, who knows to what level you have contributed and what you may actually know!

I stand by my reference to falsehoods mentioned here, so if you want to present some facts, go ahead, but the rubbish in most of these posts are not facts, just hype and rhetoric...

The OP made it about a coach leaving, which is fine but others have started pointing fingers and making accusations without any facts or reasonable knowledge. Like I said, I wish Dave and his family nothing but the best, don't need to listen to a majority when the majority is only a few unidentified and likely uninformed anons do I??

Reply #768239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fair enough Bear.......let's see how this all plays out! and where the 'culture' of the Club is in 12 months time.

Reply #768261 | Report this post

Eagle  
Years ago

LOL @ someone posting under the name 'Bear' and then patting themselves on the back for not being anonymous. Nobody cares about your dumb rant bro.

Reply #768333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I must say that someone like Eagle who seems to (allegdly) know SA basketball and his 53 very important posts, clearly hasn't got any cred here. Bear has been around for about 4203 posts and has far more cred here.
How either person knows about Geelong b'ball I don't know.

Bear you said "Not sure how many ignorant, uninformed anonymous posters we have on this thread," And you are right. No one knows but most of them will be cockwombles who have othing better to do that say " I know"
Supercats in turmoil is good for all the other NBL1 teams BTW!!!

Reply #768339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where to now for David Herbert?

Reply #768349 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Eagle, other than proving the Dunning-Kruger syndrome is alive and well, do you actually have anything to contribute?

I suspect not, bro...

Reply #768353 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

he may go back to the Valley, La Trobe need a good leader right now , or maybe pick up the womens NBL1 coaching gig at Dandenong, that wouold be good for that club, their current one is terrible. But reading that article , it sounds more like hes jaded with the sport in general, Country Vic would would sure love to have him in some capacity no doubt,it will be interesting to see which players they retain should he move to another club, as his players loved having him as a coach. Big loss to Geelong but they will survive, so too Herbie.

Reply #768355 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

^Anon, it's a complex situation at Geelong with all the changes at the moment for sure, reading the public information does suggest there is an element of 'it's all a bit too much here at the moment' and he may need to step back from doing too much for his own health.

Many of us get to that point at times!

I am sure Dave will get a gig doing what he loves.

The previous women's team however will not be anywhere near the same I'd imagine, with some key players moving onto other and bigger things. Also with the money vested into the men's Supercats program (look at their latest signings), maybe the women's team won't have the financial backing it had previously, who knows...

One thing is certain, it isn't as simple as pointing the finger at one person either way. I expect more facts to come out soon and I know I along with most everyone down Geelong way wishes Dave and Leon all the best...

Reply #768359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know every team has their ups and downs but it will be a shame if the women's program misses out on funding that is then allocated to the men’s program

Reply #768361 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Reading between the lines only, but as time goes on the facts will become more evident, they always do...

Reply #768362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a mess.
If Mark Neeld wasn't a known name (+/- on the name value) I don't believe he would have been appointed. Besides Ocean Grove football success, I can not see any history of success as a leader. Business degrees etc however no success in business. Book smart with no practical success. He has been around successful leaders and been lead by them however it's not the same as leading.
Add to that, zero experience in basketball besides his cousin being married to supercats chairman. This was an interesting appointment in Feb and is even more interesting as we sit at this point.

Que Bear's defending and corrections...

Bear - Can you inform us on the origin of the merger, how Mark was engaged in this idea... How did it come to be?

Reply #768369 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I dont think you need to read between the lines to know the women's program will go to pot now, as is always the way with basketball, the men take the lions share, yet just look at how successful the women's group have been, and they wonder why women's basketball cant get off the ground, every time you see a successful women's team at club level, the powers that be come along and chop the legs off them and try to stick them onto the men.

Herbert recruited well, that did not come cheap, though it didnt invest the money the Knox program did, it was still more than many, but it got them a chamionship.

Reply #768371 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

#369 - That's a whole different thread. I will only say that as far as I am concerned the new CEO entered a position where he needed to make very tough decisions and he did so to stabilise the future of the sport in Geelong.

Some of your other comments are a little subjective, which is fine, but my experience is that leaders often have to make tough decisions for the overall best result, it doesn't win you friends all the time...

Remember that the previous two CEO's had experience in the cricket and baseball sectors, not basketball!

Reply #768374 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:21 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754