Bagman
Years ago

The calmness of Will Weaver

As a longtime and long suffering Kings fan I have been most impressed with Will Weaver.

Obviously it is early days and I seem to remember us wining the first few games under Gaze in 2016.

But just seeing how calm and composed Weaver was during the timeouts against the Breakers has given me tremendous confidence and it must be doing the same for the team.

Calling it early. Kings to win it all this year.

Topic #46121 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd be calm too if I had only coached against Cairns, Adelaide (fresh off the plane from the US) and NZ.

Reply #769396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The iceman
He should be the boomers coach

Reply #769397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daffy Duck made Gaze look calm. He just needs to keep the car in the right lane and should have them primed for finals.

Reply #769398 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I must admit I'm starting to feel a bit silly predicting the Kings to miss the playoffs. I thought Weaver would struggle a bit like DD did at United but he appears to be doing a great job and the players even look like they have a bit more of a spring in their step this season.

Newley looks as if he's wound the clock back a few years, Didi has only just back come into the team and they've still got Kevin Lisch to add to this too.

Reply #769406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasnt he teched up last game?

Reply #769426 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yes he was - directly after a timeout where he was preaching to his players not to complain to the officials. Then he exploded during the next play.

Reply #769437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very good call on him being a potential Boomers coach. Astute chap WW

Reply #769438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weaver would be great as Australian coach but will probably get an nba head coaches job.

Reply #769502 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

I'll trade you Gleeson for Weaver.

Reply #769508 | Report this post

krayola  
Years ago

"I'd be calm too if I had only coached against Cairns, Adelaide and NZ"

Riiiight...the Cairns who just flogged Perth, the 36ers who just won two in a row and NZ, who if you actually watched the game, looked quite formidable.

By that take he'll be stressed against who? Illawarra? Brisbane?

Weaver is the goods and the shade being directed towards him shows how envious some people are.

Reply #769523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is looking like being a brilliant appointment

Reply #769526 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Umm, you do remember that even Gaze coached the Kings to the Finals, and that was before they got Ware, who was easily the best player in the league last season.

But sure, they'll win everything because their coach looks calm. Clearly that's how Gleeson has won so many championships.

Never mind that the Kings still have the problem of most of their players almost qualifying for the Age-Pension.

Reply #769529 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Riiiight...the Cairns who just flogged Perth, the 36ers who just won two in a row and NZ, who if you actually watched the game, looked quite formidable."

Umm no, he means the Cairns in their first game of the season when they still trying to figure out what the round bouncy thing was for,
the 3623s who were straight off the plan and hadn't won shit,
and NZ, who if you actually watched any of their games look completely disorganised and about as formidable as a Soufflé.

But sure, carry on making completely pointless predictions based on 3 rounds.

So I take it you're predicting Melbourne for the spoon?

Reply #769534 | Report this post

Weaver seems an odd fellow but should take the Kings to a grand final I reckon.

Reply #769537 | Report this post

Jackson  
Years ago

I have a prediction. Bet against the Kings all year long and I predict you'll end up living in a tent.

Reply #769544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for making some sense to the 'he's American, therefore he’s automatically better’ D2.0. I also remember DD all too well. Often looked calm only to be revealed later her was asleep with his eyes open

Reply #769546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Umm, you do remember that even Gaze coached the Kings to the Finals, and that was before they got Ware, who was easily the best player in the league last season.)

Arrrr didn't Bogut get MVP last year?

Reply #769550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The iceman
He should be the boomers coach"

I think that's why he was included on the Boomers staff... with the view that he takes over from Lemanis

Reply #769556 | Report this post

serballin  
Years ago

Here's a little anecdote. I was in China for the World Cup this year. On my 1am 'cheapest ticket home' flight from Beijing, who else should be standing in the economy line but Will Weaver, moments before taking his economy seat. Does this speak to (a) the tightness of Basketball Australia's coffers for the coaching staff? Or (b) the modesty of the man himself? Anecdotes aside, I too have been very impressed from what we have seen in time outs. The team has seemed to really respond as well, particularly in fourth quarters. Very impressed with Craig Moller's play as well.

Reply #769569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ serballin.
I think you summed it up very well.

Reply #769574 | Report this post

Bill Beaver  
Years ago

likely his genetic disposition but you can't really discount the fact that the team "coaches" itself in many ways. Much easier to play it cool when you have stars/vets right down the roster, high IQ guys, guys that naturally get along or buy into a system.

Go chuck a super coach be it Bevo, Gleeson or whoever into a 2019 Cairns squad for 6 months, see how chilled you stay.

Reply #769591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know Bill, it didn't seem to help Gazey keep his composure.

Reply #769597 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yes, in his role as 2nd Assistant Coach in charge of towels for the "Broke as Batshit" BA Boomers, he was too cheap to upgrade his seat.

Clearly than means he's a wonderful Human Being and will win the Championship.

"Arrrr didn't Bogut get MVP last year?"

No kidding? And your point is?

Reply #769637 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I miss watching Gazey prowling the sideline while losing his calm. It was classic Gazey.

Reply #769641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeh it was great watching Gazey's "passion" but I'll take wins over the sideshow.

Reply #769646 | Report this post

krayola  
Years ago

Clap, clap D2.0

I made no predictions whatsoever aside from saying he and the Kings won't have huge trouble against the Hawks or Bullets, which is looking likely based on the first three weeks and far more reasoned than implying I'd say Melbourne would win the spoon.

Try not to let your Sydney hate influence your posts too much.

Reply #769647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Umm, you do remember that even Gaze coached the Kings to the Finals, and that was before they got Ware, who was easily the best player in the league last season.)

This is my point >

(Ware, who was easily the best player in the league last season.)

"Arrrr didn't Bogut get MVP last year?"

Gee your angry D2.0 are you a Melbourne United fan or are you just an angry old man?

Reply #769652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A little over a decade ago, Weaver was essentially a walk-on to the staff at the University of Texas, getting his start during Kevin Durant's lone season with the Longhorns. Weaver had grown up in Austin and graduated from the school. While an undergrad, he’d gotten the coaching itch working with kids and quickly become enmeshed in the game.
Weaver - after two seasons on Brooklyn coach Kenny Atkinson’s staff moved into the role of head coach of the Long Island nets and won their first g league title

Reply #769653 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

I'll tell you who is a GREAT coach: Big Trev. Clowns here downplay his achievements but he is the most accomplished club coach of this era. He doesn't have to be calm though, he is prepared to blow up an underperforming ref if he sees fit

Reply #769703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Getting tired of some of the dipshits that frequent this forum.

It's relatively easy to evaluate a coach:
STFU, sit back, and watch how they perform over time, relative to the strength of their squad.

Guys like Gleeson, Vickerman, Bevo, even Joey, and many others before have shown what the can do, and we can watch them do it again.

It's great to have some fresh faces and ideas in the league, but maybe hold off on the lovefests until they've played more than a handful of games.

Also wtf does calmness have to do with it?

Reply #769785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ calm down mate

Reply #769875 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Bump.

Reply #772219 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Whenever I hear the word calmness I think of Will Weaver...

Reply #817533 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:23 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754