JR
Years ago

How bad are the Hawks looking?

Is it me or does it appear that defense is a far lower priority than was in the Bevo era?

When you don't have the offensive talent that opposition teams have, and you don’t use tough defense as the equaliser- where do they go from here?

Could it be an 1 and everything season win/ loss record?

Having said this Brooks is amongst the best in the league, but without scoring points off their defense they will struggle I believe.

Topic #46147 | Report this topic

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I'm sure Flynn is a great guy but I'm yet to see any evidence that he's an NBL quality coach

Reply #769964 | Report this post

cosby  
Years ago

Bring back Jordair Jett

Reply #769968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delist Ogilvy now.

Reply #769969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brooks looks very temperamental, his defence ain't good. Boone, Blanchfield, Anderson, are doing nothing or to old. Glover, Grida, Naar, showing nothing at either end. They had better get Bevo in quick smart.

Reply #769970 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

And where is Boone's finish? It hasn’t come back from overseas! Too soft, too rushed. Even though he is very mobile and great defensively, without a defensive gameplan or identify, he looks like a fish.

Would you believe he played hundreds of nba games?!

Reply #769971 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Or has the coach de-emphasised defense by playing Ball a lot. Not saying he is overplaying him but defense is an afterthought to him- don't believe me- just watch his activity, anticipation and intensity when defending especially away from the ball on the perimeter

Reply #769973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who cares, lamelo is lookin good

Reply #769975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They really need to act soon before it's too late. One of the biggest seasons in their teams history with the worlds eyes on them, they won't want to be an embarrassment or they may never recover.

By next week they should have:
-New coach
-Sack Boone for a new C
-Find an import PF

At the very least they need a new coach. Not the kind of moves a small market would usually make, but it's really now or never for them.

Reply #769976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can honestly see management telling the coach to play Ball as much as possible without caring about results. Interest is huge and crowds will probably be highest average ever, home and away. For them it's a matter of survival, winning would be great as well but they have to capitalize on the media attention. Ball is playing well but if he gets benched he's gone knowing he's a definite lottery pick.
Don't think that's the main problems that, but at least at team meals half the players get seniors discount.

Reply #769977 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

At any other club fans would be calling for Flynn's head by now.

Thankfully of the Hawks fan base. 3 of them don't have internet, 2 of them do but don't know how to work their modem init strings and the last one is still banned for pouring beer on Marcus Thornton.

Reply #769978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lamelo ain't the problem - the problem is the poor Constructon around him.

Defence is nowhere and there are too many average players and not enough good players. Flinn is trying to keep everyone happy.

Having 2 imports doesn’t help. Would’ve been better off getting an athletic 3/4 Import that can stretch the floor instead of AJ. Boone looks washed too.

Like the look of Froling

Reply #769979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At the game and although the Hawks roster is not great, there were some things that the coaches have to do better:

- Team defence is porous
- Run some actions that put Ball and Brooks in hard to guard situations, right now it's way too easy to defend
- Work out a rotation and stick to it, drop the minutes of some of the fringe guys
- Boone is cooked, replace with an import big that can contribute.

Reply #769980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Froling offence bean fine defence is the same as rest team, non existent. I'd cut Boone and Brooks. Get a 4 man and 2 guard that can shoot and defend.

Reply #769981 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Froling is looking good. And let's be honest- nba scouts don’t give a shit about defense because they can teach that in a short period of time- so Lamelo is looking good in their eyes. And the kid can play, has great court awareness/ vision/ poise and passing ability for his age which is something only Europeans have usually. So he will get where he wants to go.

But the team- looking pretty ordinary yeah???

Reply #769982 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

How about getting them in superior game shape and playing an attacking defensive style of game. To quote one of the greatest defensive coaches in nba history (u can guess who) what if they had a game plan to score 25% of their points off their defense??

They win many more game surely

Reply #769983 | Report this post

cosby  
Years ago

Froling as a 19yo rookie looks like there best big. Skilled and good basketball iq.

Reply #769984 | Report this post

cosby  
Years ago

Grida and naar having 2nd year blues. Ogilvy needs to be cut asap.

Reply #769985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

La Melo is a spud. Can't make a 3. limited defence and not supported by the team he plays with.
Boone broken long before he got there. Brooks can hoop but yet again is let down.
A few old spuds, Froling potential, a Head Coach cos he's cheap and clearly not up to it.
I have been saying it for a while they will be lucky to win another game.

Reply #769987 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

LaMelo is trash it's killing the team having to play him so many minutes talk about a deal with the devil.

Haven't been impressed with Brooks and his attitude either and Boone looks shot.

Reply #769989 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Illawarra looked out of their league trying to compete with New Zealand tonight, and New Zealand weren't even playing that well. It looked like the Hawks were on one of the worst NBLXNBA games and just copping it from every direction.

The Hawks could possibly go winless for the rest of the season at this rate. I can't imagine them beating a top four team in any circumstance. They're going to cop a lot of 30 point smashings because their coach sucks, their line up is a weird mix of too young and too old, and they have built themselves around the LaMelo show.

I don't blame LaMelo for the fortunes of the team, but he isn't a starter level player and he's surrounded by garbage out there.

Reply #769990 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

How many years did they sign Froling for? Would be better off releasing Boone and giving Froling 25 mins a night.

Reply #769991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt Nielsen available?

Reply #769992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

* to coach I mean.

Reply #769993 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

LaMelo is a kid and isn;t ready to contribute at this level, Brookes isn't flash either.....

There O is team based like the old Gordie Mcleod sets but problem is both Brooks & LaMelo want to just stand and pound the rock although Ball is getting alot better at fitting into the team system.

Reply #769995 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"Interest is huge and crowds will probably be highest average ever, home and away. "

Looked like lots of empty seats against the Sixers

Reply #770004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Matt Nielsen available?"

"* to coach I mean"

Heck just sign him as a player, I'd probably still back him in over Ogilvy

Reply #770005 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Crazy thing is that they actually had a lot to work with.
But, apart from Ball, their recruiting is just fucked.

Why on earth would you sign a slow ageing limited-range centre, when you already have Ogilvy and Andersen?? Should have just bought back Conklin, or somebody similar.

I'm not necessarily sold on Lamelo as a starting PG in theis league, but if that's what you're running with then get him a decent SG. Slot Blanchfield in at the 3, and you've got a decent starting five.

Reply #770013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is lamelo making the Hawks money

Reply #770016 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

You'd hope so because watching the replay in the first minute of the Breakers game his shot was blocked followed by a brick causing a +5 point swing. Kid is getting burnt.

Reply #770017 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I don't understand why people rate him above Hampton.

Reply #770022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For me the Hawks were always going to struggle this year with the youth off this team, the young players have great potential but with the Hawks playing Lamelo for 25+ minutes a game is hurting this team. Agree with the above posts with getting a PF. For me I would be starting like this
Narr
Brooks
Blanchfield
Coenraad
Boone
Ball in my view be lucky playing 10 minutes with Sunday & Glover subbing in for their defence
Grida backing up for Blanchfield
Anderson & Froling in the 4
AJ backing up Boone
With Ball not starting will help the Hawks starts in games

Reply #770024 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Part of me thought it may be as a result of their roster (and its sub-quality) rather than from their coaching or lack thereof.

But then I ponder; would Beveridge do as badly with that roster?

Probably not. I couldn't see them being totally being unable to compete (as they are now) with him as their coach;

Reply #770026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boone needs replacement and need a PF but who else gets sacked?

Reply #770032 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would have thought you'd replace Boone with a rebounding PF who is good defensively. They already have Ogilvy, Andersen and Froling as bigs, if the new PF is good on the interior he will fit alongside them.

Reply #770034 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

"I don't understand why people rate him above Hampton."

Because Hampton's dad hasn't been talking shit for the past 5 years

Reply #770040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flynn called a time out just before halftime 1.50 minutes left on clock, talked about defence as only 9 down at that stage then call a play and said get ball through hands. Brooks got the ball took two bounces and jacked up a three with heaps time on clock. Nz went on nine mill run. Brooks is as bigger problem as hawks got, bad defensively or fouls a lot and can't run through any plays. Brooks should go as well as Boone as much as I think Boone is a great bloke and can still play but not in Illawarra system.

Ball,
shooting import guard that can defend.
Blanchfield
Import defensive four that rebounds.
Ogilvy
Bench
Naar
Glover
Grida
Coenrad
Anderson
Use Dech in place of Naar if his defence is spuding it, or Grida if he’s hogging it. Glover pine.

Reply #770043 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"I don't understand why people rate him above Hampton."

Hampton has always been the higher draft prospect. If by "people" you mean part time basketball followers, then you are correct.

Reply #770045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The hawks still have a spare import position vacant why don't they fill it?

Reply #770047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What have the crowd numbers been so far ?

Reply #770048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shithouse

Reply #770051 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

When the Hawks are playing Ball so much, to the detriment of the team, its clear nobody involved cares how bad the Hawks are as long as LK can spruik his facebook views.

Reply #770052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spot on Cram.

Reply #770054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would have agreed with that 100% before this week but Ball only played 21 minutes last night, so I'm not quite as sure now.

Reply #770055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ball and Hampton are far better than Markelle Fultz and he went number one. Both Ball and Hampton should easily go first round. Hampton is better at present and will be great but imo, Ball has even more up side. He needs to to be coached by someone like pop, he will get his passing game to the talent he has. Imo both have the ability to make significant contributions in the nba.
Hampton probably in better position at present due to an experienced euro coach running the program.

Reply #770057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could the 2019/2020 Hawks beat the 1988 Supercats?

Reply #770059 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Don't be lazy anon, that question deserves it's own thread.

Reply #770064 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Did anyone actually expect the Hawks to be any good?

Frontcourt including Boone, Ogilvy, Andersen an Froling and a backcourt including Ball, Brooks and Naar

What were they thinking?

Reply #770084 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Hampton has always been the higher draft prospect. If by "people" you mean part time basketball followers, then you are correct.

Reply #770087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scary thing is while most teams have played 3-4 games and just getting their season started, hawks are 6 games down (playing their 7th sunday), which will be a quarter of their year done

Reply #770095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ball is not the problem. He has a great passing game and awareness and can get to the basket. There in nothing around him. How many players at illawarra would be starters in a top 4 team?

Boon, Anderson and Ogilivy are poor, would get no mins in a top 4 team.

Ball as an 18yr old would have to be one of the best talents to play in the NBL

Does anyone on here really think Illawarra are a top 4 team? They need more than 1 player to get them up the ladder. They have NO talent in the team. Wouldnt matter who the coach was!

Reply #770100 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Did anyone actually expect the Hawks to be any good?

Yes, a whole bunch of people on here thought so - check out the predictions thread.

Reply #770102 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The main problem is balance.

They planned their season expecting to start Boone and Ogilvy together. Naar was the starting 2 man with Brooks off the bench.

They don't have enough wing players, athletic or versatile forwards, or true 2 men. Their roster is stacked with ball dominant guards, and inside or slow big men.

It was nuts from the beginning.

Reply #770103 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/45887-too-early-2019-20-ladder-predictions/#p762097

Reply #770109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

after looking at those predictions, i would think it states the lack of knowledge of a lot of posters!!!

Reply #770116 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:47 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754