Jack Toft
Years ago

United v Breakers Oct 26

So far this round every home team has won and has scored over 100 points.

Top 4 favourites United have had an annus horribilis so far this season they are 0-3, the only team yet to record a win, and find themselves on the bottom of the table. Yet, three of their players (Goulding, Trimble and Long) are averaging over 20 ppg and their average score is 91.

The Breakers broke the internet earlier in the round with +1.9M viewers as well as the will of the Hawks. A Melbourne win today will seem the Hawks land on the bottom of the ladder and for all intents and purposes, they might as well drop anchor.

Lots of reasons for either team to win and some reasons for them to lose too. Long and Ili will face up against their old team for the first time like a couple of schoolboys expelled for smoking weed they bought off Pledger. United has quite the Kiwi connection, you could be in Bondi Centrelink. New Zealand have the stalwarts in Webster and Abercrombie, but will need all hands on deck if they are to keep United in 9th spot.

It's hard to pick this one with any certainty. My heart would love to see a Breaker dunk over Shaun Long ala Cecil Exum style in a thrilling Breakers win, but my brain says United might just have the firepower and motivation to get this W. United by around 10 and keep the trend going by scoring over 100.

Topic #46166 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

This one's too close to call. But if Melo and Long still have trouble understanding how to play defence the Breakers will have far too much firepower.

Reply #770289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually, Prather and Pledger out now: https://twitter.com/MelbUnitedHQ/status/1187874190155644928?s=20

Breakers by 10.

Reply #770290 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Isn't Prather supposed to be back by Round 4?

Reply #770336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering that Prather is on 750g a year it's nice work if you can get it.

Reply #770339 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United to finally break the duck today.

Reply #770341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather undermeant a meniscus clean... he won't be back for another 3 weeks at least.

Reply #770342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he was out for such a long period of time why would that not been rectified before he got to Australia or is it a new injury. Last time he was out for two thirds season United won the premiership.
NZ by three.

Reply #770358 | Report this post

cosby  
Years ago

NZ breakers should win this. Melbourne tigers to go 0-4

Reply #770374 | Report this post

cosby  
Years ago

*united

Reply #770375 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Is Long for real with those shorts?

Reply #770381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You hate to see it.

Reply #770382 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Initially I mistakenly tuned into SBS instead of Viceland and it's airing trampolining.

Reply #770384 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

PW

Probably fewer errors in the trampolining than in 1st quarter.

I wonder what trampolining rates?

Reply #770386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drinking game- drink when Santa Maria says "Slap"

Reply #770387 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

And Melbourne's playing a zone. They made a run when Long was on the bench - defensive in the middle is going to be their issue.

Meanwhile, RJ Hampton. What a half. I'm most impressed by his poise and maturity on the floor - no shots missed and no TOs as the PG in 10min vs Melo Trimble.. impressive.

Reply #770388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What did the five fingers say to the face?

SLAP

Reply #770389 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Candy interviewing Jeremy about sell out crowds with half empty seats at the background.

Reply #770391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Candy interviewing Jeremy about sell out crowds with half empty seats at the background.'

It was half time. Not everyone stays glued to their seats for the whole 2 hours.

Is it just me or are they adding on the points for a made bucket exceptionally quick this game?

Reply #770394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is nbl, great game so far.

Reply #770395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL is actually more entertaining than NBA right now

Reply #770397 | Report this post

serballin  
Years ago

Man... Anstey's voice

Reply #770398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This united team is ordinary, just a bunch of pieces which don't fit.

Reply #770399 | Report this post

cosby  
Years ago

Not sold on melo trimble he is a ball hog, doesn't know how to run a team

Reply #770400 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

How much will MU improve over the season? I'm not sold on their team play, organisation, or in-game adjustments.

This start might not be too inaccurate as a guide to their whole season.

Reply #770401 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Goulding- off balance, forcing shot, looking for foul not score. Why foul him then?

Reply #770402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ got screwed over with that shot clock error

Reply #770403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would you cut to a crowed shot there. My god.

Reply #770404 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

Don't show crowd during live play!!!

Reply #770405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More Candy please

Reply #770406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MU undermanned and have not yet gelled but still beat a quality team. They will be fine. Better that fine.

Reply #770407 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Melb championship favorites now they have notched up a win?

Reply #770410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone said not sold on Trimble because he a ball hog...he finished with 6 assists. The second most for the game...

Reply #770411 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

weird season this - 20 games in and a third of them have been blowouts (20 points or more) and half have been down to the wire (6 points or less). And teams are averaging over 90 points a game in 40 minutes. We've even had a team score over 100 points and lose...in a 40 minute game. Wow. Not sure if it's great offence, poor defence or just the astounding pace teams are playing at.

Reply #770412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some harsh calls / no calls on the Breakers, some good shooting by Goulding, but McCarron was huge and turned the game.

Reply #770414 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Man... Anstey's voice

Tell me about it, another amateur overtalker. Plus he's been tried as a commentator before and failed. The people in charge have no idea about anything pre-LK era.

Reply #770416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re Ansteys voice, when I tuned in I thought, as politically correct as I can, that someone with an intellectual disability or stroke was commentating. Might have been a terrific coach but his players couldn't understand him probably.

Reply #770421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Second game NZ should have closed out that they didn't. Home game against Sydney they also got up 8 or so late then let the lead slip.

Reply #770426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anstey was a terrible coach

Reply #770443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One of the greatest Aussie basketball players. Sorry you didnt know nor care.

Reply #770450 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Entertaining game. Both sides have defensive issues, though. I agreed with Anstey's questioning both Trimble and Long as proven winners. Not saying they aren't, but both haven't proven themselves yet and both have shown some concerning signs that they might not yet be there as championship calibre stars. Long's mental game, in particuar, concerns me. Long put up numbers, but McCarron was my player of the game.

As for Anstey, while some may not like his voice, he adds some good insights. Liam Santamaria should be a regular feature in NBL coverage. He's better in a colour/analyst role than a play-by-play caller, but he still performed better in the play-by-play role than most other NBL commentators so far. I'd always take an inferior play-by-play caller with good knowledge of the game over a more experienced sports caller that doesn't know basketball.

Reply #770456 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Agreed on the commentary. Anstey sounded like he'd been coaching all day and his voice was done.

Reply #770466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers had a chance to put a dent in a direct opponent for a finals spot and didn't take it. Breakers look good on paper and the coach certainly doesn’t look out place but still not performing like they should. Melbourne on the other hand will now get on a roll. Breakers should’ve beaten Sydney and Melbourne in last two and walked away empty, will battle from hear now unless they get a winning run home and away.

Reply #770749 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:16 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754